Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Perhaps this thread needs to be split into a cooking charcoal bbq thread and a sourcing charcoal thread?

Yet another bbq thread?
    Well yes.
    I don't have a charcoal bbq but I love reading and seeing what people are doing on theirs but the thread is completely bogged down with, "where can I buy charcoal", questions and answers.

Anyone else like this?

It really doesn't, this thread is the charcoal BBQ grilling thread

You see charcoal is an integral part of Bbq / Smoking, you might not understand that since you cook on gas

So please just stop

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Perhaps this thread needs to be split into a cooking charcoal bbq thread and a sourcing charcoal thread?

Yet another bbq thread?
    Well yes.
    I don't have a charcoal bbq but I love reading and seeing what people are doing on theirs but the thread is completely bogged down with, "where can I buy charcoal", questions and answers.

Anyone else like this?

Where do we stop then? What if people don’t like reading about namibian lumpwood in the ‘where can I buy briquettes thread’?!

I think its all fine in one big charcoal bbq thread. I didn’t even see the point in a seprate kamado thread, I like all bbq’s...except gas...because they’re just outdoor cookers and as such deserve their own thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

I had forgotten about the dedicated Kamado thread

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Jaysus, keep yer knickers on lads - it was only a suggestion.
    Some real arsey charcoal snobbery evident in some of the responses - go back to your gas thread, you peasant!
    I'm unpleasantly surprised at the hostile responses and shltty attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

You see charcoal is an integral part of Bbq / Smoking, you might not understand that since you cook on gas

So please just stop

The snobbery in these threads is something else

https://youtu.be/kGt-jvU5Iag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

I don't agree about the snobbery, but God I love Mrs bucket. I had to thank the post!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

long time lurker - 2nd or 3rd post.

I have a chargriller 50/50 with a new side firebox attached. So I hope i don't offend anyone in saying that I use Gas, Charcoal briquettes, lumpwood briquettes and am now venturing into side smoking.

Anywho - I've done a bit of off set smoking/low and slow etc on my charcoal grill, but will use my side smoker for the first time on Sunday. have a couple of racks of spare ribs and am going to use the 3-2-1 method.
    Any tips that aren't available on the internet/you tube?

I was planning on using charcoal briquettes and maple wood chunks for initial smoke - maybe adding lumpwood carcoal to keep temps up/fuel going if temps drop too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Independence Day tomorrow. Any cooks planned? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scuba_tom

Baby backs, memphis dust, apple chunks :D

Edit - picked up a new Weber MT 57 the other day (the one without the hinge) along with a thermopro TP08 so gonna fire em in that and see how they go. First attempt at smoking anything in a kettle so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

newbie2 wrote: »
    long time lurker - 2nd or 3rd post.

I have a chargriller 50/50 with a new side firebox attached. So I hope i don't offend anyone in saying that I use Gas, Charcoal briquettes, lumpwood briquettes and am now venturing into side smoking.

Anywho - I've done a bit of off set smoking/low and slow etc on my charcoal grill, but will use my side smoker for the first time on Sunday. have a couple of racks of spare ribs and am going to use the 3-2-1 method.
    Any tips that aren't available on the internet/you tube?

I was planning on using charcoal briquettes and maple wood chunks for initial smoke - maybe adding lumpwood carcoal to keep temps up/fuel going if temps drop too much.

Yup thatll work. Whered you get the spare ribs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

The Nal wrote: »
    Yup thatll work. Whered you get the spare ribs?
    Local butcher- Frank Doyle's in Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not to restart the war or anything but it might be an idea to edit the OP and place in all relevant information on where to buy charcoal, difference between lump, briquettes, etc. Might help avoid the same questions coming up again and again which seems to be what some posters are irked about

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Not to restart the war or anything but it might be an idea to edit the OP and place in all relevant information on where to buy charcoal, difference between lump, briquettes, etc. Might help avoid the same questions coming up again and again which seems to be what some posters are irked about

The reason so many are asking is that given global events stock isn't normal levels. People are trying to find out who has stock at the moment. Sticky doesnt help there. Normal times it would

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Probably just need a sticky thread where that kind of info is held so all questions can just be redirected there.

Yet another bbq thread?
    Well yes.

Anyone else like this?
    oleras wrote: »
    I am anxiously awaiting the pellet grill thread.:D
    neris wrote: »
    Then we,ll need an offset stick burner thread, which will then have to be followed up by an Asado thread
    Planet X wrote: »
    Sorry about that guys n gals.
    Wasn't aware that it was moot subject.....relatively new to the Charcoal Thread.
    Not having a go at you or anyone else.
    Currently, this is the obvious place to ask about buying charcoal.
    I was merely suggesting that there could be somewhere else for such questions.
    mossym wrote: »
    maybe those that don't want to read about charcoal in the charcoal thread should just read the gas thread.

i don't think i've ever been in there as i don't really mind what people are cooking on gas, but it would appear if people want a thread about BBQ that doesn't mention charcoal the thread already exists.

FFS, we've too many bbq threads already without suggesting splitting off into another.

So please just stop
    Where do we stop then? What if people don’t like reading about namibian lumpwood in the ‘where can I buy briquettes thread’?!

I think its all fine in one big charcoal bbq thread. I didn’t even see the point in a seprate kamado thread, I like all bbq’s...except gas...because they’re just outdoor cookers and as such deserve their own thread!
    budgemook wrote: »
    I had forgotten about the dedicated Kamado thread
    Jaysus, keep yer knickers on lads - it was only a suggestion.
    Some real arsey charcoal snobbery evident in some of the responses - go back to your gas thread, you peasant!
    I'm unpleasantly surprised at the hostile responses and shltty attitudes.

blue note wrote: »
    I don't agree about the snobbery, but God I love Mrs bucket. I had to thank the post!

Hi Guys.
    I'm going to spill the beans here FYI @Gloomtasic

So, a year ago, I PM'ed Gloomtasic suggesting a separate "Gas" BBQ thread, as there are some who charcoal, and some who like gas- so it would be an easier go-to place if you had gas queries and search that thread for the answer. So, they stole my idea, and created a thread :D

And one year on, it's had 300+ posts- that's 300 posts, you charcoal guys don't have to worry about, and it's provided great guidance to those gas guys and girls out there who are either having gas-specific issues when cooking, or looking at what to buy.

That's 300+ posts in less than 1 year. This thread has 3000+ posts in over 10 years- so, I think the Gas thread has been a success.

Now to the Kamado thread. A number of weeks ago, again, I emailed Gloomtastic! asking what they thought of a separate Kamado thread. I was reluctant to open one, based on the sort of kick-back as seen above.

My "augment" was based on the different nature of cooking, especially low and slow, which is far smoother with kamado, but more importantly, coupled with a predicted rise in the purchase of kamados and the resultant queries that that would bring-, as we've seen with the cheap Lidl offer recently. Not many on this thread are using Kamado's right now. (And please don't reply saying you are, the majority aren't)

They agreed, and I asked Gloomtasic! to open the thread, being the moderator, I thought it might be less contentious. Obviously not, but I don't want Gloomtasic! made at fault here- the suggestions for both the Gas thread, and the Kamado thread, were both mine. And both are doing well.

A few above have suggested a sticky for "where do i buy good charcoal?"- you know what, I think that's a great idea too- especially if bargains were highlighted- good charcoal is expensive so why not?

I like this charcoal thread- but it's been going since 2009, and currently has less posts per year, than the Gas thread.
    Splitting the thread has helped reduce the amount of queries and has helped non-charcoal people get their questions answered quickly and focused the attention on cooking and tips (which I imagine most posters want to focus on?)

So can we all just get along and be united in our great interest in BBQ'ing great food and save our arguments for the best rub recipes, the best flavourings, the skills of low and slow or indeed high-heat searing.

Hey Guys,

Where do yiz buy yer charcoal..?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bobboberson

Hey Guys,

Where do yiz buy yer charcoal..?

Woodfuel.ie I buy the big blue bags

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Some American friends coming on Sunday. Ribs and tri tip.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

So 300 posts a year, less than a post a day. 2 a day across the two threads. And for that the proposal now is to have 3 threads cause lads are annoyed at the amount of posts they have to read?

Given the negativity about this and the kamado thread I think the post count is going to be even less of an issue in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Everything was fine here until people started to breaking everything up, we'd a nice community going with a common passion

Do you what happens when you break it up into different sections? it gets watered down, i deal with idiots like this every week, continuous improvement heads! Keep it for the office and stop ruining a great thread

There was no need for the ceramic thread either tbh, its all relative in one way or another

Hi Guys.
    I'm going to spill the beans here FYI @Gloomtasic

So, a year ago, I PM'ed Gloomtasic suggesting a separate "Gas" BBQ thread, as there are some who charcoal, and some who like gas- so it would be an easier go-to place if you had gas queries and search that thread for the answer. So, they stole my idea, and created a thread :D

And one year on, it's had 300+ posts- that's 300 posts, you charcoal guys don't have to worry about, and it's provided great guidance to those gas guys and girls out there who are either having gas-specific issues when cooking, or looking at what to buy.

That's 300+ posts in less than 1 year. This thread has 3000+ posts in over 10 years- so, I think the Gas thread has been a success.

Now to the Kamado thread. A number of weeks ago, again, I emailed Gloomtastic! asking what they thought of a separate Kamado thread. I was reluctant to open one, based on the sort of kick-back as seen above.

My "augment" was based on the different nature of cooking, especially low and slow, which is far smoother with kamado, but more importantly, coupled with a predicted rise in the purchase of kamados and the resultant queries that that would bring-, as we've seen with the cheap Lidl offer recently. Not many on this thread are using Kamado's right now. (And please don't reply saying you are, the majority aren't)

They agreed, and I asked Gloomtasic! to open the thread, being the moderator, I thought it might be less contentious. Obviously not, but I don't want Gloomtasic! made at fault here- the suggestions for both the Gas thread, and the Kamado thread, were both mine. And both are doing well.

A few above have suggested a sticky for "where do i buy good charcoal?"- you know what, I think that's a great idea too- especially if bargains were highlighted- good charcoal is expensive so why not?

I like this charcoal thread- but it's been going since 2009, and currently has less posts per year, than the Gas thread.
    Splitting the thread has helped reduce the amount of queries and has helped non-charcoal people get their questions answered quickly and focused the attention on cooking and tips (which I imagine most posters want to focus on?)

So can we all just get along and be united in our great interest in BBQ'ing great food and save our arguments for the best rub recipes, the best flavourings, the skills of low and slow or indeed high-heat searing.

Thanks PlentyOhToole. After 20 years of marriage and two teenage kids, I believe I now have skin like a bull elephant and really couldn't give a toss what people think about me on an anonymous forum. :p

Posters here should always remember that no one is pointing a gun at your head and forcing you to post in whatever thread. It's always at your own free will.

If people are feeling upset about a particular thread, I suggest they go and make some no knead bread. It's so simple, you cannot fail to feel better about yourself and the world when you produce something so good.

The simplest recipe is here https://pinchofyum.com/no-knead-bread

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

Any suggestions on what to serve with BBQ prawns? Have what looks like a good recipe for skewered prawns but not too sure what to serve with them preferably something from the BBQ?

Sidford wrote: »
    Any suggestions on what to serve with BBQ prawns? Have what looks like a good recipe for skewered prawns but not too sure what to serve with them preferably something from the BBQ?

There’s only one way to serve prawns... and that’s on top of a massive steak!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

There’s only one way to serve prawns... and that’s on top of a massive steak!

You ain't wrong mate and that was original plan till herself cooked them last night so last minute change of plan. Raging as well because they were good steaks so don't get to grill.

Sod it crispy bread and salad will do.

Sidford wrote: »
    You ain't wrong mate and that was original plan till herself cooked them last night so last minute change of plan. Raging as well because they were good steaks so don't get to grill.

Sod it crispy bread and salad will do.

By skewering them, you’re missing out on all the lovely juices prawns give out while cooking. Can you fry/griddle them on the bbq with some butter/olive oil and maybe a bit of shallot and chilli. Then you can soak up the juices with your crusty bread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

If anyone's interested, Woodies in Drogheda selling off Weber 47cm & 57cm kettle covers for €10. I got the second last 57cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ned01

Brian? wrote: »
    Some American friends coming on Sunday. Ribs and tri tip.

Where did you get tri tip? I've always wondered what it's called here. What did you ask the butcher for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

SachaJ wrote: »
    If anyone's interested, Woodies in Drogheda selling off Weber 47cm & 57cm kettle covers for €10. I got the second last 57cm.

Tried Navan. Only 47cm reduced.... To 20

3 hours in despite the crappy weather. Took a while to get the temp down on the MT but its been sat at about 225 for the last 2 hours

XTyVvsU.jpg?1

Scuba_tom wrote: »
    3 hours in despite the crappy weather. Took a while to get the temp down on the MT but its been sat at about 225 for the last 2 hours

XTyVvsU.jpg

Can you please split that photo in half and put the right hand side in the kamado thread..

• Advertisement

Can you please split that photo in half and put the right hand side in the kamado thread..

I was gonna stick a gas bottle in the photo as well for good measure....

Advertisement