Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

By skewering them, you’re missing out on all the lovely juices prawns give out while cooking. Can you fry/griddle them on the bbq with some butter/olive oil and maybe a bit of shallot and chilli. Then you can soak up the juices with your crusty bread. :)

So, what devices are people using to BBQ PEALED prawns? I have stainless steel baskets (made by Char-broil) - they promote use for prawns but I'm really not sure if they won't stick (good prawns are expensive so I haven't experimented with these yet)
    I saw some "yoke" in The Orchard, Celbridge today, complete with promotional video thing playing - about 17 squid- again no idea if prawns would stick to this either.

I prefer BBQ prawns in their shells but since most of my prawns are pealed and frozen, would be interested what people are doing.

PS- reluctant to oil prawns - but maybe i just have to?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

https://natashaskitchen.com/grilled-garlic-cajun-shrimp-skewers/

Went with this recipe for the prawns, would definitely recommend it. Only problem about doing them on BBQ is you don't get the sauce to mop up like was pointed out earlier but sod it was still tasty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ned01 wrote: »
    Where did you get tri tip? I've always wondered what it's called here. What did you ask the butcher for?

This is almost comical really:

It’s very difficult to get in Ireland, I could never get it when I lived in Ireland.

Now I live in the Netherlands, I can buy tri tip online. Country of origin: Ireland.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

Where did you get tri tip? I've always wondered what it's called here. What did you ask the butcher for?

I saw it for sale yesterday in Lawlors butchers ,Rathmines

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I buy them all the time in O'Mahony's, English Market, Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Scuba_tom

Question for those that know more about ribs than I do. I had planned on cooking 2 racks on the MT and 2 on the mini Kamado and seeing which came out better (I thought the ones that came out of the kettle were nicer....). When I opened one of the ribs it smelled really bad, almost sulphur like so I binned it. Have since read that this can be normal for ribs that are vac packed. Is this a thing and did I just bin a perfectly good rack of ribs?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Apologies if this question is in the wrong place.. (Mods please feel free to move)

I'm looking at 2 Weber BBQ's.. the E5710 Original and E5710 Compact.. there is a difference of about €70.. is the more expensive one worth it?

I bought a cheap lidl bbq last year that I'm done with and want something that will last a few years... having seen the weber's in action I think they are the best ones.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

conor_ie wrote: »
    Apologies if this question is in the wrong place.. (Mods please feel free to move)

I'm looking at 2 Weber BBQ's.. the E5710 Original and E5710 Compact.. there is a difference of about €70.. is the more expensive one worth it?

I bought a cheap lidl bbq last year that I'm done with and want something that will last a few years... having seen the weber's in action I think they are the best ones.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

The compact is grand, but the original is worth the extra for the space. You can't stand a chicken up in the compact. If that's a problem, you have your answer.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Get the original. Much deeper bowl and lid.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Scuba_tom wrote: »
    Question for those that know more about ribs than I do. I had planned on cooking 2 racks on the MT and 2 on the mini Kamado and seeing which came out better (I thought the ones that came out of the kettle were nicer....). When I opened one of the ribs it smelled really bad, almost sulphur like so I binned it. Have since read that this can be normal for ribs that are vac packed. Is this a thing and did I just bin a perfectly good rack of ribs?

Do you mean fresh uncooked ribs?

If so yes uncooked ribs do have a certain unique smell that's not dissimilar to sulphur, its faint though and shouldnt be over powering

I usually run mine under the tap which gets rid of it tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Planning to reverse sear this shortly...

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Scuba_tom wrote: »

Often if ribs or any other meat is kept in the packaging too long it stinks before its actually gone off. I’d say its the air inside it more than the meat itself. But yeah, I’ve thrown ribs out for the same reason... I’m not brave enough to chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

mloc123 wrote: »

Thats one thick ass steak :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scuba_tom

Do you mean fresh uncooked ribs?

If so yes uncooked ribs do have a certain unique smell that's not dissimilar to sulphur, its faint though and shouldnt be over powering

I usually run mine under the tap which gets rid of it tbh

Yeah, uncooked just out of pack. There was a good 10 days to go before the best before date. The others had a faint smell off them but these were just nasty.

Where did you find a living T-Rex?

https://www.avoca.com/bbq-baked-sweet-potatoes

For those a bit sick of baked potatoes. Very tasty well worth trying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I would like to drool over an after picture please

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Guys can I ask what briquettes you're all using? After a dud batch recently, I want to make sure we get something good this time. Weber were good but a bit pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

yellow hen wrote: »
    Guys can I ask what briquettes you're all using? After a dud batch recently, I want to make sure we get something good this time. Weber were good but a bit pricey

Weber are consistent. I've got 3 bags of the Lidl ones, going to see what they are like this weekend hopefully. At 1 euro a kilo, hoping they are not ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Are the bord na mona charcoal briquettes any good?

• Advertisement

Well this is what we got the last time and we tried them twice they just wouldn't light properly. They smoked away and made the food completely inedible. Tried lighting them in the starter thing and then also directly on the bbq with the same result both times.

Well this is what we got the last time and we tried them twice they just wouldn't light properly. They smoked away and made the food completely inedible. Tried lighting them in the starter thing and then also directly on the bbq with the same result both times.

I seem to recall something similar happening when I tried them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Any recommendations for some sort of mesh to go over the Weber charcoal grate? A recent bag of lump has lots of little pieces which would just go through the Weber grate. Was looking at 1.6mm thick, 11mm square stainless steel mesh off ebay but it's a bit pricey.

SachaJ wrote: »
    Any recommendations for some sort of mesh to go over the Weber charcoal grate? A recent bag of lump has lots of little pieces which would just go through the Weber grate. Was looking at 1.6mm thick, 11mm square stainless steel mesh off ebay but it's a bit pricey.

Probably need to crunch a few numbers first-might be better to ditch the shoite bag of charcoal and concentrate on getting the good stuff.

A mesh will just reduce the air coming through the vents and make it harder for you to gain proper temperature. You can always drop the small stuff in small handfuls over hot coals, over time, before placing deflectors etc- big chunks at bottom is always recommended but i wouldn't be buying some expensive after market fix, just to solve an issue with one crappy bag of charcoal.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Probably need to crunch a few numbers first-might be better to ditch the shoite bag of charcoal and concentrate on getting the good stuff.

A mesh will just reduce the air coming through the vents and make it harder for you to gain proper temperature. You can always drop the small stuff in small handfuls over hot coals, over time, before placing deflectors etc- big chunks at bottom is always recommended but i wouldn't be buying some expensive after market fix, just to solve an issue with one crappy bag of charcoal.

Would you not be better using the Weber baskets to hold the fuel?

Was in tesco last night and was going to buy the zip briquettes but they worked out dearer than Weber. I thought Weber were expensive but not seeing anything much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Was in tesco last night and was going to buy the zip briquettes but they worked out dearer than Weber. I thought Weber were expensive but not seeing anything much cheaper.

If you are around the Dubin/Meath/Louth area, you could take a spin to Woodfuel.ie in Trim. He sells Namchar briquettes which are supposed to be good (I've not tried them myself). Cheaper to collect *I believe* than order from his website but to make the spin worth it, may have to buy in bulk.

Alternatively I've ordered from Weber website. Minimum order of 3 x 8KG bags (€48 ish) but you need to add something else to hit the €50 free shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

If you are around the Dubin/Meath/Louth area, you could take a spin to Woodfuel.ie in Trim. He sells Namchar briquettes which are supposed to be good (I've not tried them myself). Cheaper to collect *I believe* than order from his website but to make the spin worth it, may have to buy in bulk.

Alternatively I've ordered from Weber website. Minimum order of 3 x 8KG bags (€48 ish) but you need to add something else to hit the €50 free shipping.

For what it's worth I got 3 x 8kg bags from https://www.clonmelgardencentre.ie/ for €50.74 including delivery which took 2 days.

I wouldn’t recommend ordering direct from Weber if you want the charcoal before winter sets in!

• Advertisement

https://shop.windyridgegardencentre.ie/weber-bbq-c-186/certified-by-weber-courses-c-188/bbq-course-17th-july-2020-p-34134

I'm assuming this one isn't on anymore but anyone ever do any similar courses? Birthday next month and missus is driving me mad to come up with something and likes of this would be good.
    I'm probably just above beginner so know my way around temp control etc but I have a good bit to learn still to consider myself a good BBQ'er so no problem with ego going to a class.

Advertisement