Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The Weber courses in Cooks Academy are running again so it might be worth giving that place a call to find out.

The Weber courses in Cooks Academy are running again so it might be worth giving that place a call to find out.

Wouldn't mind seen their recipes for the American BBQ class: Prawn tacos look good

https://www.weber.com/IE/en/grill-academy/coursedetail/?bkcoursecatid=918&location=2cddcdd1051496afb7e29f8e2328ef31

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

newbie2 wrote: »
    long time lurker - 2nd or 3rd post.

I have a chargriller 50/50 with a new side firebox attached. So I hope i don't offend anyone in saying that I use Gas, Charcoal briquettes, lumpwood briquettes and am now venturing into side smoking.

Anywho - I've done a bit of off set smoking/low and slow etc on my charcoal grill, but will use my side smoker for the first time on Sunday. have a couple of racks of spare ribs and am going to use the 3-2-1 method.
    Any tips that aren't available on the internet/you tube?

I was planning on using charcoal briquettes and maple wood chunks for initial smoke - maybe adding lumpwood carcoal to keep temps up/fuel going if temps drop too much.

A quick update/trip report how this went.

Trimmed the ribs down to st. louis style, and kept the spare belly meant to make some 'pork belly burnt ends'. Did the Ribs in the 3,2,1 method. They could probably have done with another hour, but we were starving. We let one rack rest for 40 minutes and it definitely improved both texture and taste.
    Using the inkbird to help keep an eye of the temps was much better than using the built in temp gauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

newbie2 wrote: »
    A quick update/trip report how this went.

Trimmed the ribs down to st. louis style, and kept the spare belly meant to make some 'pork belly burnt ends'. Did the Ribs in the 3,2,1 method. They could probably have done with another hour, but we were starving. We let one rack rest for 40 minutes and it definitely improved both texture and taste.
    Using the inkbird to help keep an eye of the temps was much better than using the built in temp gauge.

Hi, did you get ribs with all of the belly on top? Or when you say the spare belly do you just mean the cuts of the side you made to make the rectangular shape?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Anyone ordered meat from James Whelan Butchers? If so, is it recommended?

https://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

SachaJ wrote: »
    Anyone ordered meat from James Whelan Butchers? If so, is it recommended?

https://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/

Absolutely. Their meat is top quality, have never been disappointed by anything I've bought from them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

Zaph wrote: »
    Absolutely. Their meat is top quality, have never been disappointed by anything I've bought from them.

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

James Whelan is the GOAT of butchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Higgins, Higgins is always the GOAT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Thanks, sounds promising. Any difference between ordering online (presume from Clonmel) and going into one of the Dunnes Stores counters? Looking for some pork shoulder/butt amongst other things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

budgemook wrote: »
    Hi, did you get ribs with all of the belly on top? Or when you say the spare belly do you just mean the cuts of the side you made to make the rectangular shape?

Sorry. I will Answer this with a more detailed Post later. The 'spare belly' I presumed was the off cuts After I had rectangled it. Apart from The end 'flappy bit' which was useless and the sternum bits etc. Maybe I am wrong.
    it certainly looked and tasted like belly meat. The remaining ribs did have a fair bit of what I presumed was belly Meat on them also.
    I'm not a butcher so am unsure tBF

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

SachaJ wrote: »
    Thanks, sounds promising. Any difference between ordering online (presume from Clonmel) and going into one of the Dunnes Stores counters? Looking for some pork shoulder/butt amongst other things.

Can't say, I'm afraid, I'm lucky enough to have two of their shops within a 10-15 minute drive from me so I've only ever bought in-store. I'd be surprised if there was any difference in quality though.

And of course it's pissing rain out...

519710.jpg

This post from Reddit is both funny and incredibly practical.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BBQ/comments/hpfb0b/had_to_go_run_some_errands

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

InkBird Thermometer on Special offer today on Amazon

Reduced from £31Stg to £18Stg for today only.

Seems a good deal

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

And of course it's pissing rain out...

519710.jpg

You don't bbq in the rain?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    You don't bbq in the rain?

Oh I do, but not the rain we were getting this morning!!

Cleared up, so there will be a trial run tonight.
    Want to test the range, as standard, and how good the multiplier is from an old tethered phone.

Oh I do, but not the rain we were getting this morning!!

Cleared up, so there will be a trial run tonight.
    Want to test the range, as standard, and how good the multiplier is from an old tethered phone.

Looking forward to hearing about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭thereitisgone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Tried a 2-2-1 method on my weber mastertouch with the diffuser plate yesterday ...

2 hours at 225 - 250 with some hickory (spritzed with apple juice after an hour)
    IMG-20200712-152520.jpg

Wrapped with apple juice and put back on for 2 hours
    IMG-20200712-170438.jpg

Finished with a bbq glaze for an hour
    IMG-20200712-170854.jpg

Rested for 15 mins and devoured shortly after this was taken :)
    IMG-20200712-180022.jpg

Had the meater+ in for the early and late stages as I only bought it recently so just wanted a test to see how it went.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    InkBird Thermometer on Special offer today on Amazon

Reduced from £31Stg to £18Stg for today only.

Seems a good deal

Wow...nice find.
    £25 today :D Didn't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

Does anybody know if there is a difference between the master touch 5750 and 5755?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Does anybody know if there is a difference between the master touch 5750 and 5755?
    Very similar 5755 has a little more
    A sear grate and a rubber yoke for air vent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Was up at 7 this morning getting the brisket on the my WSM, pissing rain out but temp is holding firm.

Meater is phenomenal, steaks were 2 inches thick.

Cooked to perfection and probe really shows how off the dome thermometer can be

520385.jpeg

Finished product Brisket(roughly 12 hours) and tomahawk
    Just S&P on the brisket and steak seasoning I got in Aldi on the tomahawk

IMG-20200718-204922.jpg

I finally found some meaty flat ribs. I got them from the Whole Hogg pork butcher at the market in Glasnevin. His pork products are consistently excellent and these were no different.

I think I prefer baby back though after all that. I just prefer them as a snack like chicken wings whereas a couple of the thick ribs I got were enough for a main course.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Finished product Brisket(roughly 12 hours) and tomahawk
    Just S&P on the brisket and steak seasoning I got in Aldi on the tomahawk

IMG-20200718-204922.jpg

What recipe did you use on brisket? Looks amazing fair play

Sidford wrote: »
    What recipe did you use on brisket? Looks amazing fair play

Nothing special mate, Coarse salt and pepper, good amount, smoked on the WSM at 110°c, stalled around 82° so wrapped in 2 layers of tinfoil until internal temp of 95°. The family was getting hungry so only let sit for about 30 mins before cutting, was very moist and juicy prob best one I've done yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Nothing special mate, Coarse salt and pepper, good amount, smoked on the WSM at 110°c, stalled around 82° so wrapped in 2 layers of tinfoil until internal temp of 95°. The family was getting hungry so only let sit for about 30 mins before cutting, was very moist and juicy prob best one I've done yet.

Fair play bud looks amazing. Havnt tried a smoker one yet, havnt been brave enough but will grow a pair and try one soon enough.

Advertisement