Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

I got my Weber yesterday! I picked up a Master Touch C-5750 and after putting it together headed for the butcher and picked up a few bits and pieces to try it out.

We had burgers and sausages using a grill mat that I'd previously gotten on Amazon and I was very impressed! I'm going to start off with the basics first and hopefully over time I'll get a bit better (and the weather plays ball! Although I have decided that during the winter when it's a good dry day I'll be out at the bbq!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Love doing the reverse sear on the Weber! Going to have to get brave and do a brisket soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Sidford wrote: »
    Fair play bud looks amazing. Havnt tried a smoker one yet, havnt been brave enough but will grow a pair and try one soon enough.

Once your temp is kept table there's not much too it, all l say is don't put any time limit on it. It'll be done when it's done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

Tried this one today, would definitely recommend it. Played it safe with full chicken fillets and thought it would be a quite fresh marinade that chicken would be best bet and was right. Definitely worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Are people happy with the Meater?

My Aldi probe bought years ago is finally beginning to give up the ghost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Ya I have two now. Its great. No wires to worry about and it gets the cook time pretty much spot on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Nothing special mate, Coarse salt and pepper, good amount, smoked on the WSM at 110°c, stalled around 82° so wrapped in 2 layers of tinfoil until internal temp of 95°. The family was getting hungry so only let sit for about 30 mins before cutting, was very moist and juicy prob best one I've done yet.

12 hours? that seems a long time for a brisket that size. that's what the americans get, but their briskets are hormone scaled huge lumps of meat, 3 or 4x the size of what we get here. i did a brisket yesterday, looks bigger than what you have there, 110C , stall at 80, pulled at 95C, and it went on at 10 and was taken off just before 4, and if anything was a bit overdone. can't think of how yours took 12 hours?

yMrJEyLl.jpg

mossym wrote: »
    12 hours? that seems a long time for a brisket that size. that's what the americans get, but their briskets are hormone scaled huge lumps of meat, 3 or 4x the size of what we get here. i did a brisket yesterday, looks bigger than what you have there, 110C , stall at 80, pulled at 95C, and it went on at 10 and was taken off just before 4, and if anything was a bit overdone. can't think of how yours took 12 hours?

yMrJEyLl.jpg

I don't know what you me to tell you, it was done when it was done. And wasn't overdone

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Tabby McTat

afatbollix wrote: »
    Ya I have two now. Its great. No wires to worry about and it gets the cook time pretty much spot on.

Can you have it paired to a few devices. Say today I want to use it for BBQ and tomorrow.my wife using it for the oven, will we both be able to use it on our own phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

Doing a large bbq on Saturday, any smoking wood suppliers around Dublin? Delivery if possible.

• Advertisement

I have nothing to do with this ad, if I did I would say it but looks a good deal. Only heard about meater on last few pages, wish I knew abour it before I got my dual probe few months ago.

Looks like it might have been used (despite saying it's brand new) but decent price.

http://www.adverts.ie/20931349

Think this might make next year's santa list

Seems to be loads of "hacks" for cleaning the grates including baking soda, beer etc.
    Assume standard washing up liquid with wire wool will do the trick? Having a family BBQ for daughters birthday on Sunday and want the BBQ looking in decent shape

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Seems to be loads of "hacks" for cleaning the grates including baking soda, beer etc.
    Assume standard washing up liquid with wire wool will do the trick? Having a family BBQ for daughters birthday on Sunday and want the BBQ looking in decent shape

degreaser and scrunched up tin foil. Wire wool or wire brushes can catch on the joints on the grates and leave small strands on the grates. Also clean the inside of the lid some amount of ****e can build up on it

I never really go mad cleaning my grates, I just let it heat up and rub it down with the wire brush. The odd time I might blast it with a power hose if it hasn't been used in a while

Thanks for that lads appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Last two I did took 16+ hours and they were smaller. Beef cuts seem like a real crap shoot in terms of time.

Last two I did took 16+ hours and they were smaller. Beef cuts seem like a real crap shoot in terms of time.

Exactly

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

neris wrote: »
    degreaser and scrunched up tin foil. Wire wool or wire brushes can catch on the joints on the grates and leave small strands on the grates. Also clean the inside of the lid some amount of ****e can build up on it

The "****e" on the inside of the lid helps with heat retention and control. I have never cleaned it on any of my Weber's.

I clean the grates when hot with a wire brush, they don't need to be spotless. Fire kills anything nasty.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

yMrJEyLl.jpg

Please tell me you're not putting ketchup on your brisket! ;)

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Please tell me you're not putting ketchup on your brisket! ;)

that was for the waffles the kids had with it. they wouldn't eat the couscous + nut stuffed grilled peppers i did with the brisket

• Advertisement

I don't know what you me to tell you, it was done when it was done. And wasn't overdone
    Exactly

wasn't doubting for a second you got it spot on, was just curious.there certainly are some variances, but 3x the cooking time is a lot more than a variance. across a lot of brisket cooks i've never had one take that long so was just surprised.wasn't questioning your method or result

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

There is a paste called 'Pink Stuff', it is for sale in a few places (I picked it up in Mr.Price) and it is a miracle cleaner! They also sell it as a spray but the paste stuff is phenomenal!

Sorry for another request for help / info but just want the BBQ to go well given daughters bday and will be cooking for 15 which is more than I've done before so trying to give me best chance.
    Where's your go to for burgers? Have gone with bujo home delivery before and they are lovely but with amount of people we have coming I'd need 2 lots so that would be 100 just on burgers so that's a bit pricey. FX Buckley's have a good rep for meat, another try there's? I'm based south Dublin so wide enough range to pick from.

Sorry for another request for help / info but just want the BBQ to go well given daughters bday and will be cooking for 15 which is more than I've done before so trying to give me best chance.
    Where's your go to for burgers? Have gone with bujo home delivery before and they are lovely but with amount of people we have coming I'd need 2 lots so that would be 100 just on burgers so that's a bit pricey. FX Buckley's have a good rep for meat, another try there's? I'm based south Dublin so wide enough range to pick from.

Why don't you make your own mate?
    Not hard and would prob work out alot cheaper.
    Not sure if you wanna add extra pressure to the situation though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

Lawlors butchers in Rathmines do a cracking burger, nicely seasoned,not too big and just the right amount of fat to make them juicy but not spraying juice everywhere causing flare ups. Think theyre 10 for 10 euros

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Why don't you make your own mate?
    Not hard and would prob work out alot cheaper.
    Not sure if you wanna add extra pressure to the situation though :)

Definitely make your own.. Way cheaper.

2kg of 18/20% fat Mince from Aldi or Lidl will get you 16-18 very decent sized burgers for less than a tenner

Nothing major to it - in a bowl , bit of salt and pepper and then split them into the size you want..you can use a weighing scales if you want to be super accurate about it.

You can hand-form them and then just get one of the kids to cut up some grease-proof paper into squares to keep them separated. Make them the night before and leave in the fridge to firm up.

Much cheaper than buying similar quality ones from a butcher or elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Definitely make your own.. Way cheaper.

2kg of 18/20% fat Mince from Aldi or Lidl will get you 16-18 very decent sized burgers for less than a tenner

Nothing major to it - in a bowl , bit of salt and pepper and then split them into the size you want..you can use a weighing scales if you want to be super accurate about it.

You can hand-form them and then just get one of the kids to cut up some grease-proof paper into squares to keep them separated. Make them the night before and leave in the fridge to firm up.

Much cheaper than buying similar quality ones from a butcher or elsewhere

Nothing else added? Dont they fall apart without a binder of some sort?
    No Herbs Spices?
    Ive never tried so just asking.

Mech1 wrote: »
    No Herbs Spices?

Only thing I'd add is I use a raw egg as a binder

Only thing I'd add is I use a raw egg as a binder

You don’t even need that.

My burgers are minced beef with salt and pepper on the outsider. They haven’t fallen apart yet.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Mech1 wrote: »
    No Herbs Spices?

Shape them and add salt and pepper to the outside just before grilling. That’s all I bet do and it’s lovely. As someone else said, beef that’s 20% fat is the key. Plenty of salt and pepper. Don’t overlook them. I like mine pink, but some people don’t, just don’t cook all the moisture out.

The other flavours come from toppings.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement