Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

Thanks lads never would of thought about making them myself and would certainly be a lot cheaper than 2 bujo orders!!

Will give it a go, will do a dry run on Saturday to get it right.

Cheers again!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Mech1 wrote: »
    Nothing else added? Dont they fall apart without a binder of some sort?
    No Herbs Spices?
    Ive never tried so just asking.
    FixitFelix wrote: »
    Only thing I'd add is I use a raw egg as a binder
    Brian? wrote: »
    You don’t even need that.

My burgers are minced beef with salt and pepper on the outsider. They haven’t fallen apart yet.

Yeah , don't need the egg at all.

You can add some spices if you like - Bit of Smoked paprika , chili flakes or the like if you fancy. Sometimes if I've been making ribs and I have some dry rub left over I mix a little through the mince , but not necessary at all.

Letting them sit for a little while in the fridge really helps to firm them up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Snipped to remove food safety advice

Eating medium-well burgers is safe. Once it’s cooked to an internal temperature of 70c.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Can be hard to get good burger mince when doing small quantities but for large quantities you could ask the butcher to mince up equal parts of rib and brisket and they should be nice. I agree that no binding ingredients are needed - salt, pepper and my own secret ingredients some celery salt and a small pinch of cayenne. Leaving them in the fridge to bind helps or you could look into smash burgers if you have a grill plate.

For small quantities it’s a struggle to get the right mince - the pre minced stuff is too lean and there’s no point asking the butcher for a small bit freshly minced as you just get what is left in the mincer from before, so I’ve been told. I haven’t tried the 20% fat mince from Aldi that another poster method.

At the weekend I bought pre made burgers from Ryan’s butcher at the market in Glasnevin, 2 euro each, and they were some of the best burgers I’ve had in a long time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

budgemook wrote: »
    Can be hard to get good burger mince when doing small quantities but for large quantities you could ask the butcher to mince up equal parts of rib and brisket and they should be nice. I agree that no binding ingredients are needed - salt, pepper and my own secret ingredients some celery salt and a small pinch of cayenne. Leaving them in the fridge to bind helps or you could look into smash burgers if you have a grill plate.

For small quantities it’s a struggle to get the right mince - the pre minced stuff is too lean and there’s no point asking them for a small bit freshly minced as you just get what is left in the mincer from before, so I’ve been told. I haven’t tried the 20% fat mince from Aldi that another poster method.

At the weekend I bought pre made burgers from Ryan’s butcher at the market in Glasnevin, 2 euro each, and they were some of the best burgers I’ve had in a long time.

Aldi started selling 3 different minces about a year ago - 4% , 10% and 20%.

The 20% is perfect for burgers - wouldn't use it for anything much else really but for burgers it's just right.

Most of the Supermarkets are stocking the range of Fat percentages now , you can get it in Tesco and Supervalu as well , but Aldi is a bit cheaper if you are planning on making a load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

Said it on here few months ago when I was getting my BBQ that this thread is quality with so many people with a lot of knowledge who are willing to share it and in a non patronising way which isn't the case in most threads so just want to say it again - thanks a lot to the people who answer questions and want to help out people.

It is appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

For burgers I do 2:1 of fatty beef mince and lamb mince, a mix of Salt/garlic/black pepper/Onion granuales, finely diced carrot & onion, bit of bread crumb and a raw egg. Mix it all up, make into patties and leave in the fridge for an hour to firm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

neris wrote:
    For burgers I do 2:1 of fatty beef mince and lamb mince, a mix of Salt/garlic/black pepper/Onion granuales, finely diced carrot & onion, bit of bread crumb and a raw egg. Mix it all up, make into patties and leave in the fridge for an hour to firm up.

Thats what i do, about 60/40 beef and lamb mince bit of salt and pepper nicest burger ever.
    If im doing all beef a little splash of hot sauce is lovely in them.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Aldi started selling 3 different minces about a year ago - 4% , 10% and 20%.

The 20% is perfect for burgers - wouldn't use it for anything much else really but for burgers it's just right.

Most of the Supermarkets are stocking the range of Fat percentages now , you can get it in Tesco and Supervalu as well , but Aldi is a bit cheaper if you are planning on making a load.

Yeah I’ve used 10% stuff from Tesco, didn’t notice the 20% but will check it out and see if I can top those burgers I got in the market!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yeah I’ve used 10% stuff from Tesco, didn’t notice the 20% but will check it out and see if I can top those burgers I got in the market!

the tesco is 18%, its the largest mince pack they have.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=303433646

I don't think it comes in smaller packs, I think it did at one time but was quite a bit more per kilo.

I wish some supermarket would cop on and do high fat mince of better cuts usually used for burgers. When ever they make them into burgers they nearly all add fillers & binders, they are flat meatballs in my book. The only reason you need binder is if some drunken idiot at a BBQ is poking at them continuously from the moment they go on, making a dogs dinner of them.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    the tesco is 18%, its the largest mince pack they have.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=303433646

I don't think it comes in smaller packs, I think it did at one time but was quite a bit more per kilo.

I wish some supermarket would cop on and do high fat mince of better cuts usually used for burgers. When ever they make them into burgers they nearly all add fillers & binders, they are flat meatballs in my book. The only reason you need binder is if some drunken idiot at a BBQ is poking at them continuously from the moment they go on, making a dogs dinner of them.

healthy eating low fat and all that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Sidford wrote: »
    Sorry for another request for help / info but just want the BBQ to go well given daughters bday and will be cooking for 15 which is more than I've done before so trying to give me best chance.
    Where's your go to for burgers? Have gone with bujo home delivery before and they are lovely but with amount of people we have coming I'd need 2 lots so that would be 100 just on burgers so that's a bit pricey. FX Buckley's have a good rep for meat, another try there's? I'm based south Dublin so wide enough range to pick from.

Making burgers is just another thing to do on the list, particularly if you havent done it before. Presume you want it handy. I swear by Dublin Meat Company burgers, they are delicious. They deliver as well (like a takeaway, it comes fresh from the shop). I have a 1/4 pound burger shaper, that I use to make them a better size.

The butchers are no better for having burger mince ready to go - it’s all lean stuff that is not suitable. They are missing a trick there I think, at least in the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

The butchers are no better for having burger mince ready to go - it’s all lean stuff that is not suitable. They are missing a trick there I think, at least in the summer months.

I'd hazard a guess that people generally want lean mince even for burgers. Sure if you look at the premade ones you'll always get some 5% fat ones.

And in fairness, they're still nice, just not as good.

a decent old school butcher will grind you up fresh fatty meat if you ask. Too many of these pre pack butchers with poor selection around

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

I made burgers (on the frying pan) with some binders but i usede 1/3 mince pork 2/3 beef would that meat mix work with no binders on my Weber Kettle? Or better just all 20% fat Beef?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Mech1 wrote: »
    I made burgers (on the frying pan) with some binders but i usede 1/3 mince pork 2/3 beef would that meat mix work with no binders on my Weber Kettle? Or better just all 20% fat Beef?

Will probably hold together with a bit of egg yolk in there if cooked from cold.

The Nal wrote: »
    Nah, if its minced and sitting out bacteria forms on it. So the longer it sits out, the more bacteria. 160f will cook it safely yes, but 160f is well done. Who wants a dry well done burger?

A medium burger is much safer if its been recently minced. And far far tastier. But risky with beef thats been minced a few days ago.

Also don't forget, when you rest the burger, it will cook a further 10f. So if you take it off at 160F, you'll be eating a burger thats been cooked to 170F. Grey, dry nonsense.

We have some of the best beef in the world here. Cooking it to super well done is criminal.

Controversial maybe but I've rarely had a decent burger from a BBQ. Always dries out unless its cooked to medium. Which is the issue with commercial ground beef. You can't really cook it medium.

70c is pink in the middle. It’s medium-well. It’s perfectly juicy if you use 20% fat mince.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

FSAI recommend 75c but you can take it off at a lower temp if it maintains the temp for a specified period of time

https://www.fsai.ie › publicati...PDF
    Web results
    Advice for Caterers on Serving Burgers that are Safe to Eat - The Food Safety Authority of Ireland

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

....and there's me and the family a few years ago, in France (Saumur) sat in a restaurant and a French lad eating steak tartare with a raw egg on top at the next table. Brilliant!!

Ya wha???? :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

It's safer to cook steak to lower internal temp because you've killed the surface bacteria. Once minced, whatever surface bacteria there was is now distributed through the burger and needs to be cooked to a safe temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Can I ask where the best place to get wood chunks for smoking is? Most of the BBQ places are sold out or seem pretty dear for such a simple item, especially considering a huge bag of Ash or Beech for my regular fire is only about 6 quid...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The Nal wrote: »
    Yes. Limited to 10 degrees F, which is about an extra 6% over 160F which will (further) destroy the burger. Just like if you take a medium boiled egg out of boiling water it will continue to cook to close to hard boiled unless you ice bath it or crack it open.

When I pull out a 2-4 kilo brisket or pork shoulder thats up 15cm deep, I might see a temp difference of 4-5c on the outside to inside. Not on a 1-2cm burger cooked on direct heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Can I ask where the best place to get wood chunks for smoking is? Most of the BBQ places are sold out or seem pretty dear for such a simple item, especially considering a huge bag of Ash or Beech for my regular fire is only about 6 quid...

Firewood en mass versus specific speciality woods means a higher price.

This is the best place I have found so far for variety.

https://goodwoodfuel.com/product/chunks/

Honestly, almost any cook only needs 1 to 2 chunks at the start(about 100 grams) so a 20 quid bag is really about 20+ cooks. Or about a 1 euro a cook for the smoke flavour.

If you live down the country, I'd just buy some irish oak firewood and cook with it. Since I live in a estate in the city, it produces too much smoke over the length of the cook in comparison to charcoal to make it feasible for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Firewood en mass versus specific speciality woods means a higher price.

This is the best place I have found so far for variety.

https://goodwoodfuel.com/product/chunks/

Honestly, almost any cook only needs 1 to 2 chunks at the start(about 100 grams) so a 20 quid bag is really about 20+ cooks. Or about a 1 euro a cook for the smoke flavour.

If you live down the country, I'd just buy some irish oak firewood and cook with it. Since I live in a estate in the city, it produces too much smoke over the length of the cook in comparison to charcoal to make it feasible for me.

I've bought Olive chunks and apple chips from them before. Good size chunks and lovely smoke. Good size bag too. I'd recommend Goodwood and I'll be dropping back in next week to restock.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

SachaJ wrote: »
    I've bought Olive chunks and apple chips from them before. Good size chunks and lovely smoke. Good size bag too. I'd recommend Goodwood and I'll be dropping back in next week to restock.

https://greatnorthernlarder.com stock those chunks too, got some cherry from them recently, it's good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Thanks lads I'll give them a shot

griffdaddy wrote: »

Firewood wouldn't be as dry as the chunks that are sold for smoking. If you can get decent seasoned oak or apple wood then use them. If you know anyone with an orchard you're onto a winner.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

What are people thoughts on smoking a pork shoulder with just dry rub versus mustard first and then the rub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

MonsterMob wrote: »
    What are people thoughts on smoking a pork shoulder with just dry rub versus mustard first and then the rub?

No real difference the mustard is only to help the rub stick, it off during the cook and leaves no real taste, you can use oil, Worcestershire sauce which ever you like

Advertisement