Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

fitz wrote: »
    https://greatnorthernlarder.com stock those chunks too, got some cherry from them recently, it's good stuff.

Cheers never knew about this place.
    Any idea how long delivery takes?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Cheers never knew about this place.
    Any idea how long delivery takes?

Ordered on a Saturday, arrived Wednesday morning, so not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Brian? wrote: »
    Firewood wouldn't be as dry as the chunks that are sold for smoking. If you can get decent seasoned oak or apple wood then use them. If you know anyone with an orchard you're onto a winner.

My next door neighbour has an apple tree, some of which hangs into our garden. Might nip away at it half a branch at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

MonsterMob wrote: »
    What are people thoughts on smoking a pork shoulder with just dry rub versus mustard first and then the rub?

I only use dry rub. It goes wet after a short time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sidford wrote: »
    Thanks lads never would of thought about making them myself and would certainly be a lot cheaper than 2 bujo orders!!

Will give it a go, will do a dry run on Saturday to get it right.

Cheers again!!

big thread on burgers here, theres even a recipe for homemade brioche buns if you really want to push the boat out
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057730922

Tomahawk rib eye is back in Lidl from next Thursday 30th July, 17.99 for 900g
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/big-brand-super-savers/tomohawk-rib-eye-steak/p46492

229277.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Got a tripod bbq in Aldi today! Really looking forward to some Santa Maria style grilling while camping this weekend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod Note: Folks, enough of the food safety advice. The sticky on the main forum page couldn’t be any clearer, and I’m seeing names of posters who definitely know better. It’s late and I’m on my phone now, but I’m going to tidy this thread up tomorrow because we don’t allow food safety advice on the forum, whether it’s requested or offered.

The FSAI link posted above is the resource we’d point you all towards if you have any questions about safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Got a tripod bbq in Aldi today! Really looking forward to some Santa Maria style grilling while camping this weekend.

I bought one of those a couple of years ago, they're great craic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I'm "resisting" buying a probe/wired thermometer for my smoker and kettle. Have a second analog thermo in the side of my WSM. All good.

Just bought and received a Thermapen Classic.....bright :D orange but £15 cheaper than the RRP. Grand.

Then again.....new user of a WSM so the most adventurous I've smoked, 3 times, are spare ribs.

Wanting to do a Brisket sans wired probes, but hesitant. I should be OK though with the Thermapen????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Kamado is getting up to temp now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

Has anyone been to that new place Baste in Dublin 8? It’s a pop up from the Fowl Play / Big Grill people, reviewed in the Irish Times today.

It’s 40 quid a head, these guys have always known how to charge, but it seems like reasonable value based on what you get. It’s a nice bit to pay to sit outside on a pallet though and no cheaper option if you weren’t that hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Pulled pork on the Pro Q today, pulled pork burgers and ipas lately me thinks ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I have a friend who was in it during the week and said the food is really good. It is pricey for what it is. Would be great if Dublin got a proper Argentinian style parillia offering a full asado menu. Have had them in Buenos Aires and Madrid and theres nothing like heading to a restaurant knowing you're going to be eating seven or eight courses of bbq meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

That IT review made it sound, and taste, very good. The price you used to pay at The Big Grill for minuscule portions, €40 a head seems cheap.

One of the things I've been mulling for the last year or two is a Boards Cook-Off. Time to show off your bbq skills in a random car park in Dublin somewhere.

Anybody up for it? :D

One of the things I've been mulling for the last year or two is a Boards Cook-Off. Time to show off your bbq skills in a random car park in Dublin somewhere.

Anybody up for it? :D

Excellent idea, I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Don't think any of us are set up for a car park! :p

maximized-efficiency

Would a park better if numbers weren't too big or is BBQing banned in them?

Got a 12kg or restaurant grade Charcoal in B&Q today for €13.90 seems to good big pieces. They had 20% off all BBQ items so probably some other good deals to be had. Didn't have time to look properly as I was only popping in to grab something else.

https://www.diy.com/departments/restaurant-charcoal-12kg/5060098640071_BQ.prd

And the pork is on, only small bit of shoulder for making pulled pork

Using beech and apple to smoke

mloc123 wrote: »
    Kamado is getting up to temp now...

Pork is now off and this is going on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Did a few racks of ribs this afternoon on the Weber. Made a fatal error of not putting tinfoil on the diffuser plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ned01

heroics wrote: »
    Did a few racks of ribs this afternoon on the Weber. Made a fatal error of not putting tinfoil on the diffuser plate.

I've never seen a diffuser plate for a weber BBQ! Where did you get it and is it any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

My Jacob's ladder beef ribs worked out well for a few mates around yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Ned01 wrote: »
    I've never seen a diffuser plate for a weber BBQ! Where did you get it and is it any good?

It came with the master touch premium. https://www.weber.com/IE/en/barbecues/charcoal-barbecues/master-touch-series/17401004.html

I’ve very little to compare it to. It seems to work grand. I’ve done plenty of ribs/pork shoulders on it with no problems.

NV2O0dT.jpg

O0XZQGz.jpg

pighnKP.jpg

MnaxdO5.jpg

Cct3rhL.jpg

uHc8liM.jpg

WDwTC6d.jpg

SQ9xu2a.jpg

yNSa590.jpg

YC9JLdQ.jpg

Yesterday's results... Today's birthday party food

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

I took the easy option for the BBQ yesterday and went with fx Buckley's burgers, 10 for €10 and honestly they were amazing. Was bit worried as said they were lean but enough fat in them to make a very juicy burger. Would definitely recommend them especially for larger BBQ's can't go wrong for a euro each

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I'm planning to do some food on the weekend - just salads and cold meats - probably joint of turkey & ham.

Any thoughts on barbecuing either of those?

It's for a slightly older crowd (including someone who thinks ketchup is a bit too spicy :rolleyes:) so kinda needs to be kept relatively plain.

Presume I can just use the barbecue as an oven?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

thejaguar wrote: »
    I'm planning to do some food on the weekend - just salads and cold meats - probably joint of turkey & ham.

Any thoughts on barbecuing either of those?

It's for a slightly older crowd (including someone who thinks ketchup is a bit too spicy :rolleyes:) so kinda needs to be kept relatively plain.

Presume I can just use the barbecue as an oven?

You can lightly smoke a turkey breast and it comes out quite nice.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

thejaguar wrote: »
    joint of turkey & ham.

Yep, use the bbq as an oven. Even if you dont use any smoke wood you will still get a slightly smoky flavour from the turkey, not so much the ham. For your crowd, i wouldnt bother with any additional smoke, just cook the lot with charcoal.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Can anyone here tell me if it's OK to smoke a brisket that's been cut in half? I ordered a 3kg brisket from the butcher and when it was delivered today I noticed they've cut it in half (assume so they could fit it in the vac pac) I've never done one before so is this going to affect the cooking? It looks as though they've not quite separated the point and the flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Toots wrote: »
    Can anyone here tell me if it's OK to smoke a brisket that's been cut in half? I ordered a 3kg brisket from the butcher and when it was delivered today I noticed they've cut it in half (assume so they could fit it in the vac pac) I've never done one before so is this going to affect the cooking? It looks as though they've not quite separated the point and the flat.

I got 8lbs of brisket (mostly flat) and cut it in two myself. Smoked one half and it was still good. Just need to adjust cooking times a bit.

Advertisement