Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

How long did you do yours for? I'll have to do the two halves at the same time I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Toots wrote: »
    How long did you do yours for? I'll have to do the two halves at the same time I reckon.

It took about 7 hours at 225-250F. I still hit the stall and had to wrap it in tinfoil at 165F. I took it off at 200F (wouldn't go any higher). The nice thing about brisket is you can cook it and leave it stand for hours and it'll still be amazing, so there's no harm in cooking it early rather than trying to time it.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Can anyone vouch for the Pallas briskets??

I think there was a few on here buying them?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jasonhn

I'd be interested to know about Pallas Briskets also

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

they stopped doing the click & collect a few weeks ago.

https://collect.pallasfoods.com/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

My mate gets all his meat there. He speaks very highly of it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Knightofcydonia

I had a couple of briskets from Pallas and no issues, very good. Seems they've stopped click and collect now. If looking for an alternative you could try the premium butcher website (dawn meats) briskets on special at the moment..... I've ordered one so will update when I receive next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

I had a couple of briskets from Pallas and no issues, very good. Seems they've stopped click and collect now. If looking for an alternative you could try the premium butcher website (dawn meats) briskets on special at the moment..... I've ordered one so will update when I receive next week

How much is delivery ??

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Knightofcydonia

How much is delivery ??

Think it's €10 across the board but free above €100... I got a full striploin, brisket, some picanha's and pork loin roast... Had to add a pack of rashers to take me above the 100 mark😄. I've ordered form here before and never disappointed

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I must give them a try. We ordered from the butcher in ranelagh and the brisket arrived cut in half with all the fat cut off so no idea how it is going to turn out on the smoker. Also i ordered a 3kg brisket and I weighed it before putting on the rub and it's 2.6kg (was charged for 3) :-/ It's smoking away now anyway, so fingers crossed it tastes alright later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Hi peeps

Has anybody tried this. Onlyfire rotisserie and pizza oven?

61hEdsybS2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Onlyfire-Stainless-Rotisserie-Multifunctional-Roasting/dp/B07XHFLXB6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

I had to go for the free delivery...:D

Handy site, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I must give them a try. We ordered from the butcher in ranelagh and the brisket arrived cut in half with all the fat cut off so no idea how it is going to turn out on the smoker. Also i ordered a 3kg brisket and I weighed it before putting on the rub and it's 2.6kg (was charged for 3) :-/ It's smoking away now anyway, so fingers crossed it tastes alright later.

I hope you'll be taking the small issue of fraud up with this butcher!
    I'd be raging. Both over cutting a joint in half without being asked to and over being short sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

50% off most BBQs and accessories in Homebase Drogheda.

I hope you'll be taking the small issue of fraud up with this butcher!
    I'd be raging. Both over cutting a joint in half without being asked to and over being short sold.

Yeah, I'll be getting on to them about it! I ordered online and I get if you actually go in person they might not have an exact 3kg piece, but you'd be charged by weight so you wouldn't pay the difference. Definitely won't be ordering again, that's for sure.

The brisket turned out nice, although I do think it would have been much better had the fat cap been left on. I had a hard time keeping moisture in, but it did taste lovely. Totally worth the 7am start :pac: The family demolished it, so that's the main thing. I've attached a couple of pics of the end result.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Made Burgers tonight for the first time from reading this thread last week. 18% mince.

Were savage. Mixed together with an egg and then just salt and pepper. Never seem as much smoke off the bbq. Very tasty.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Yeah, I'll be getting on to them about it! I ordered online and I get if you actually go in person they might not have an exact 3kg piece, but you'd be charged by weight so you wouldn't pay the difference. Definitely won't be ordering again, that's for sure.

The brisket turned out nice, although I do think it would have been much better had the fat cap been left on. I had a hard time keeping moisture in, but it did taste lovely. Totally worth the 7am start :pac: The family demolished it, so that's the main thing. I've attached a couple of pics of the end result.

Nice smoke ring, looks good. I get my brisket from premium butcher is ballymount if you're looking to change

Made Burgers tonight for the first time from reading this thread last week. 18% mince.

Were savage. Mixed together with an egg and then just salt and pepper. Never seem as much smoke off the bbq. Very tasty.

Try without the egg next time. They'll hold together perfectly and I prefer the texture

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭Suckler

Brian? wrote: »
    Try without the egg next time. They'll hold together perfectly and I prefer the texture

I've done both. Egg holds it together better. There is no noticeable difference in texture.

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Nice smoke ring, looks good. I get my brisket from premium butcher is ballymount if you're looking to change

Thanks! I was very pleased with the smoke ring. I'm keen to do another one so I'm going to order from Premium Butcher next time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Thanks! I was very pleased with the smoke ring. I'm keen to do another one so I'm going to order from Premium Butcher next time :)

Yeah I get all my meat from there and have no complaints

Suckler wrote: »
    I've done both. Egg holds it together better. There is no noticeable difference in texture.

If there's no noticeable difference in texture, how does it hold together better? The entire point of using an egg as a binder is to change the texture so stays together better.

they/them/theirs

If there's no noticeable difference in texture, how does it hold together better? The entire point of using an egg as a binder is to change the texture so stays together better.

No it isn't. It's to bind it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Wha????

Lol. It binds it by filling in the gaps between the meat. Which changes the texture.

they/them/theirs

tonc76 wrote: »
    Wha????
    Lol. It binds it by filling in the gaps between the meat. Which changes the texture.

Using egg isn't to change the texture. It simply holds the meat together and make the burger less likely to separate. If you notice a change in texture, too much egg was used. It certainly shouldn't fill the gaps.

Edit: When you say "fill in the gaps"; I know what you mean. I've seen people add so much binder and/or fillers that the meat is a sort of dense 'paste' which definitely is a texture change.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I did, as recommended, a burger mix yesterday. Mortar and pestle ground pepper, ie. nice and coarse, salt.
    Unfortunately, Lidl mince was only 12% fat when I needed 20% as alluded to on here.

Would, before, be putting the kitchen sink into the mix but it came out fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Never understood why a flat burger pattie needs to be held together with any binder, a meatball, yes...a burger, no.

Each to their own, would be boring if all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Thread could really do with either a first post or separate thread that gives links to commonly asked questions, such as charcoal brands, type of bbq to buy etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yes and egg yolk will help bind the burger but a note on quantity - 1 egg yolk per 1.5kg of mince will do so adjust accordingly.

Advertisement