Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Ok, thought about creating a new thread, but decided it didn't warrant one as I could ask in here.

Anyone tried the sausage sold in the likes of Polonez, or similar Eastern Europe supermarkets?

I was on the lookout for some baby back ribs as I heard the likes of the polish shops might sell them (Polonez didn't) when I noticed these sausages behind the butcher's counter, one was called Polish white sausage, and the other just called Polish sausage, but the white in particular looked to me like it would be delicious done on the charcoal grill.

It looks to be about an inch and a half thick, about six inches long and just looked like a really nice sausage.

Anyone tried these, and if so know if they're a decent addition to our BBQ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Planet X wrote: »
    Should I oil it or just apply my dry rub?

Just applied my homemade Simon and Garfunkel spice Rub for poultry. Could still oil it I suppose.......

Doesn’t really matter. As long as it sticks.

On pork I use mustard, in beef I use franks hot sauce and on poultry I usually don’t use anything.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

budgemook wrote: »
    Sorry to quote a week old post but where did you get the picanha? Pallas or Premium Butcher? Struggling to find it.

I do know of a place on Capel street that does this cut and was planning to try there.

You can also get picanha steak in Troys butchers on Moore St opposite Lidl, a lot of Brazilians buy their meat there so its a popular cut in that butchers.

Im told picanha steak is basically rump steak with the fat cap left on so maybe you could ask a butcher to cut it that way.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I too did a Premium Butcher's brisket this weekend, thanks to this thread. The quality was unreal, definitely miles better than the one from the other butcher I used last time. Ran out of pepper so it wasn't as peppery as I'd like, but it tasted delicious, super moist and tender. 9 hours or so on the kettle and then an hour to rest in a cooler wrapped up in a load of towels.

Trying to convince my husband to let me get an actual smoker and he's having none of it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

On the subject of Pork Butts/Shoulders, I was watching Carnivorous on the Food Network last night and they shared this graphic.

attachment.php?attachmentid=522577&d=1597000919

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Toots wrote: »
    I too did a Premium Butcher's brisket this weekend, thanks to this thread. The quality was unreal, definitely miles better than the one from the other butcher I used last time. Ran out of pepper so it wasn't as peppery as I'd like, but it tasted delicious, super moist and tender. 9 hours or so on the kettle and then an hour to rest in a cooler wrapped up in a load of towels.

Trying to convince my husband to let me get an actual smoker and he's having none of it :pac:

Had most of the point leftover today and did a burnt ends type reheat, cubed and sauced and back on the smoker for a couple of hours, a Jess Pryles recipe.

Unreal value at 20 bucks.

IMG-20200809-181845.jpg

IMG-20200809-182406.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

oleras wrote: »
    Had most of the point leftover today and did a burnt ends type reheat, cubed and sauced and back on the smoker for a couple of hours, a Jess Pryles recipe.

Unreal value at 20 bucks.

IMG-20200809-181845.jpg

IMG-20200809-182406.jpg

I can handle the Fahrenheit temps in this thread... but bucks?! Come on!!

(Looks amazing though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Any one know of places in the mid west (Clare, Limerick) that have the Weber Mastertouch 57cm in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

McMurphy wrote: »
    Ok, thought about creating a new thread, but decided it didn't warrant one as I could ask in here.

Anyone tried the sausage sold in the likes of Polonez, or similar Eastern Europe supermarkets?

I was on the lookout for some baby back ribs as I heard the likes of the polish shops might sell them (Polonez didn't) when I noticed these sausages behind the butcher's counter, one was called Polish white sausage, and the other just called Polish sausage, but the white in particular looked to me like it would be delicious done on the charcoal grill.

It looks to be about an inch and a half thick, about six inches long and just looked like a really nice sausage.

Anyone tried these, and if so know if they're a decent addition to our BBQ?
    I have been to Polonez in Cork recently, for the first time. Picked up some smoked whole bacon, the fresh white sausages (the thinner ones, didnt do them on the bbq, jut in the pan) and paprika smoked sausages (like chorizo), all 3 of then were excellent, cant wait to try more stuff from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Should I oil it or just apply my dry rub?

Just applied my homemade Simon and Garfunkel spice Rub for poultry. Could still oil it I suppose.......

Try get the rub under the skin. It is tricky but makes a huge difference.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I did utterly perfect roast potatoes last night. My best yet, and that's with my dodgy oven.

Baked salmon darnes, tender stem broccoli accompanied the roasties.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Neyite wrote: »
    I did utterly perfect roast potatoes last night.

Your modesty becomes you.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

First time I've felt brave enough to cook a good / expensive meat. 2 fillets from FX Buckley's, just some oil and salt & pepper and finished with some garlic butter on top.
    Definitely worth the money they were quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Sidford wrote: »
    First time I've felt brave enough to cook a good / expensive meat. 2 fillets from FX Buckley's, just some oil and salt & pepper and finished with some garlic butter on top.
    Definitely worth the money they were quality.

Check out FXB near Rathcoole. Its a Butcher shop beside their warehouse and is a fraction of the cost of moore st for the same stuff. €6 per fillet.

Check out FXB near Rathcoole. Its a Butcher shop beside their warehouse and is a fraction of the cost of moore st for the same stuff. €6 per fillet.

Cheers for that. That's about half of what I paid in Deansgrange yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

What size is this €6 fillet as fillet is typically €30 to €40 per kg and you need them quite big to cook properly (IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Had no idea they had a shop there, brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

Did a chateaubriand on the bbq yesterday. Fillet has gone out of fashion a bit but it was absolutely incredible. Seasoned with salt and pepper, seared it over hot coals and then finished it over indirect heat until internal temperature was 45 degrees celsius and let it rest for about 20 minutes. I'll definitely be doing it again.

Not too often though because it cost 44 euros a kilo :o

1 kilo was plenty for 6 people with potatoes, vegetable skewers, some ribs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Looking for some recommendations on a thermometer.

I’ve been looking at some of the ink bird models on amazon. I will def go for a 4 probe I think. I just can’t decide which would be best between the Bluetooth, radio or WiFi. I have read that Bluetooth models can be problematic in general, not ink bird in particular.

Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭thereitisgone

I went through so many before i found this
    Unbeatable range and best selling point is the waterproof factor
    been using now for a year,way ahead of others i had, very accurate
    Dont put probes in dishwasher, handwash them :o
    Picture shows 2 probes but says its four

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Wireless-Thermometer-Waterproof-Temperature/dp/B07KPZK56Z/ref=sr_1_9?crid=HJ86J1HXC8SC&dchild=1&keywords=inkbird+bbq+thermometer&qid=1587656581&sprefix=inkbird+bbq,aps,172&sr=8-9

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

I went through so many before i found this
    Unbeatable range and best selling point is the waterproof factor
    been using now for a year,way ahead of others i had, very accurate
    Dont put probes in dishwasher, handwash them :o
    Picture shows 2 probes but says its four

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Wireless-Thermometer-Waterproof-Temperature/dp/B07KPZK56Z/ref=sr_1_9?crid=HJ86J1HXC8SC&dchild=1&keywords=inkbird+bbq+thermometer&qid=1587656581&sprefix=inkbird+bbq,aps,172&sr=8-9

Yes - I have been leaning slightly towards this one.

The Meater thermometer gets very good reviews and is wireless so that's a big plus. There was an ad on adverts a little while ago for a new one at a decent price might be worth checking if still around.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

So, for a few years I was doing a "Texas Dry Rub" from the Texas BBQ forum. It was good and my first experiment in dry rubs. However..........with the addition of soft dry brown sugar, it would go lumpy and semi solid in my plastic container (about 2 pint size or so). It would clump the onion and garlic powder particularly, bone dry taking the moisture from the Brown sugar I assume.
    A few months ago I bought a WSM Smoker and use it alot. Also use my kettle which I've had for years.

Today I got 500grs onion powder and 250grs garlic powder and plan to make

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe

It worries me that this will happen again, the dry onion/garlic powders will take on the moisture of the brown sugar and clump.

Then again, my old onion and garlic powders went like a rock when stored in their original bags, sellotaped. Obviously, just taping the packet is no good.

I will store the powders probably double bagged and in a plastic container.
    Will my above dry clump and if so, how to avoid this.

Go Pros.......

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I always find that when I make that rub it clumps after a few days lying in the press. Shake and a bang on the work top loosens it up and if needed a spoon poked around in the jar a few times before using sorts it out

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

So, for a few years I was doing a "Texas Dry Rub" from the Texas BBQ forum. It was good and my first experiment in dry rubs. However..........with the addition of soft dry brown sugar, it would go lumpy and semi solid in my plastic container (about 2 pint size or so). It would clump the onion and garlic powder particularly, bone dry taking the moisture from the Brown sugar I assume.
    A few months ago I bought a WSM Smoker and use it alot. Also use my kettle which I've had for years.

Today I got 500grs onion powder and 250grs garlic powder and plan to make

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe

It worries me that this will happen again, the dry onion/garlic powders will take on the moisture of the brown sugar and clump.

Then again, my old onion and garlic powders went like a rock when stored in their original bags, sellotaped. Obviously, just taping the packet is no good.

I will store the powders probably double bagged and in a plastic container.
    Will my above dry clump and if so, how to avoid this.

Go Pros.......

Thanks.

Mix in a few grains of rice if it really bothers you. That’ll keep it dry.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Sometimes I put it in a mortar and pestle to loosen it up or fork for that matter.
    Oh, I could drop a few chickpeas in or kidney beans........just nice to know that it happens to other people also.

Dry white sugar out of the question....what is it that a rub mostly requires brown sugar?

Do you notice that onion and garlic powders are extremely susceptible to a spot of moisture? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

Must try the rice, onion and garlic granules always cake up on me.

Advertisement