Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Looking to pick up another kettle over the coming weeks / months.

Can anyone recall of any decent post summer sales the last few years anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Any recommendations for a generic (cheaper!) cover for the Weber Kettles?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,256 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Treepole wrote: »

Got this a few years ago for a Weber 47. Good heavy material and is lasting well.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Tabby McTat

I've had this on my Weber kettle for the last few years. It's held up well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GGM41SS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_LPwuFbN5M8N7F

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

The Weber cover I got a few years ago ended up being crap! The material hardened slightly over a winter and became brittle. Awful material to use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭narodvale

Also in the market for a bbq cover and after getting some lovely Weber clobber I’m less interested in paying €150 for a cover. Any ever used the HomeStore and More ones?
    Also conscious I don’t wanna get a rubbish cover that doesn’t do the gig properly.

Any advice greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

So, I've decided I'd like to try something a bit lower and slower than I have before.

I have a 57cm Weber kettle and I'm thinking of doing some ribs. From reading on here it seems like the 3-2-1 method is the way to go - but writing that and doing it are two very different things!

I'd appreciate any advice that anyone can offer on rubs, timing, temps and whether the kettle is really up to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Got this Amazon basics one in earlier this year. It's quite heavy duty for the price. Much better quality than the flimsy weber ones.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012VMKHCA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Currently out of stock though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

narodvale wrote: »
    Also in the market for a bbq cover and after getting some lovely Weber clobber I’m less interested in paying €150 for a cover. Any ever used the HomeStore and More ones?
    Also conscious I don’t wanna get a rubbish cover that doesn’t do the gig properly.

Any advice greatly appreciated

We use the heavy duty HomeStore cover for our Gas BBQ that's outside over the winter. It's ok but you'll need to replace it every couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Any suggestions for a good place to get a good number of metal skewers at a reasonable price? I’m hosting a group (within govt guidelines) at the weekend and was going to do lamb and chicken shish kebabs and flatbreads, but I’m sick of the wooden skewers which burn on me no matter how long I soak them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Any suggestions for a good place to get a good number of metal skewers at a reasonable price? I’m hosting a group (within govt guidelines) at the weekend and was going to do lamb and chicken shish kebabs and flatbreads, but I’m sick of the wooden skewers which burn on me no matter how long I soak them.

Where do you live?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Try Nolan’s Hardware in Clontarf. *01 833 42 19‬

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Brian? wrote: »
    Where do you live?

South West Dublin. Clontarf might be awkward for me but anywhere out near the M50 i can get to

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Have you tried the two euro shops, Mr Price etc? B&Q usually sell off their summer bbq stock too.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

Do you have a Lituanica store near you? they sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

got this one 2 years - seems quite good
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GGM41SS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Anyone with a WSM or kettle using a temperature controller like the DigiQ or Flame Boss? I'd be interested to know thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

Probably won't be a revelation to most but it's definitely worth getting some wood chips / chunks if doing any kind of longer cook.
    Threw on a hickory and an apple chunk when doing shoulder of lamb a while back and it was amazing and did one yesterday and forgot to put any on and you could really tell the difference, especially with the gravy I made from the drip tray.
    Did stuffed pork steaks over wkend as well and you could really taste the hickory flavour.

To me it's definitely worth the money for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Why is there not a separate BBQ section. Far too many posts in one thread to follow an individual post

I'v built this over the past couple of weeks

525343.jpg

525344.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

clivej wrote: »

525343.jpg

525344.jpeg

Excellent work...but (there's always a but :( ) should the chimney be on the opposite side of the fire box, that way the smoke and heat is drawn across the whole of the main cylinder.

Excellent craftsmanship.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

At a guess, there is a baffle plate under the chimney stack and grates forcing the smoke left, then it has to be drawn over the food on the way out ?

Reverse flow.

Offset-smoker-vs-reverse-flow-smoker-diagram-1.jpg

That is amazing.

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Excellent work...but (there's always a but :( ) should the chimney be on the opposite side of the fire box, that way the smoke and heat is drawn across the whole of the main cylinder.

Excellent craftsmanship.

It's a reverse flow bbq with plates just above where the firebox entry is connected to force the heat up the far end and then back to the chimney.
    Said to slow, down the heat and smoke over the food, but keep the temperature up.
    Also I made the chimney entrance low to keep the heat height lower in the chamber, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

What did it cost to build?

What did it cost to build?

I already had the arc welder from years ago €350. My weldings not too bad but not pretty either. It won't fall apart anyway. MIG welder would have been far better I'd say.
    I built it in 4 parts so I could put it in my hatchback car, not that I've tried that yet. Frame, firebox, BBQ oven, and chimney. BBQ oven just sits on the frame, as does the firebox.

2 cylinders off Done Deal €20, metal €45, new welding mask and rods €65, spray black BBQ paint and red €90, wheels €10, hinges €15, 6mm baffle plates 30cm x 80cm, difficult to find/get. Free in the end but still an expense for you. Grinding and flapping disks 125mm €30,
    New 125mm grinder 'cos my ALDI one broke B&Q €50, BBQ cover B&Q sale €25.

And a good 3 weeks to build it, putting in a good days work each day 10am-5pm.

Then I'd say say I'v spent €250 on other bits that are accessories and sh!te :cool: :eek:
    Inkbird Bluetooth 4 probe temperature monitor €50, utensils €25, couple of BBQ books €50, Inkbird PID temp. controller and fan €40 ( I'd like to try and automate the fire), Bags of LIDL and Weber charcoal and wood chunks €75.

To be honest I'd say I'v spent more than the €250 on bits and sh!te than I expected ;);)

100+ photo's of the build are here on Facebook (you'll need a FB account to login)
    https://www.facebook.com/clive.jackson2/media_set?set=a.10159166689633676&type=3&__nodl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I already had the arc welder from years ago €350. My weldings not too bad but not pretty either. It won't fall apart anyway. MIG welder would have been far better I'd say.
    I built it in 4 parts so I could put it in my hatchback car, not that I've tried that yet. Frame, firebox, BBQ oven, and chimney. BBQ oven just sits on the frame, as does the firebox.

2 cylinders off Done Deal €20, metal €45, new welding mask and rods €65, spray black BBQ paint and red €90, wheels €10, hinges €15, 6mm baffle plates 30cm x 80cm, difficult to find/get. Free in the end but still an expense for you. Grinding and flapping disks 125mm €30,
    New 125mm grinder 'cos my ALDI one broke B&Q €50, BBQ cover B&Q sale €25.

And a good 3 weeks to build it, putting in a good days work each day 10am-5pm.

Then I'd say say I'v spent €250 on other bits that are accessories and sh!te :cool: :eek:
    Inkbird Bluetooth 4 probe temperature monitor €50, utensils €25, couple of BBQ books €50, Inkbird PID temp. controller and fan €40 ( I'd like to try and automate the fire), Bags of LIDL and Weber charcoal and wood chunks €75.

To be honest I'd say I'v spent more than the €250 on bits and sh!te than I expected ;);)

100+ photo's of the build are here on Facebook (you'll need a FB account to login)
    https://www.facebook.com/clive.jackson2/media_set?set=a.10159166689633676&type=3&__nodl

Have you taken her for a spin yet?

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Savage work but 3 weeks build time!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭thereitisgone

Savage work but 3 weeks build time!

I have built a few and have led a project at work where we built a order of really high end ones
    Theres a lot of unknown details in making these, ie getting the doors to seal
    The thicker the material the harder it is to manipulate, because probably when you cut the doors out they went out of shape and its not so easy getting them back
    Doing it with a stick welder would add a lot of extra work getting the finish right after grinding, and it looks like you really have a good finish
    Saying that using the thicker material this is a smoker for life
    So thinking about that, 3 weeks is nothing
    Brilliant workmanship

• Advertisement

Has anyone ever gotten anything from O'Mahony's in Coolock?

Are they any good?

Advertisement