Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Edit: in future I'll use the search function before I post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Have you taken her for a spin yet?

I'm trying to get used to how to use it. I'm using 5kg bags of LIDL briquettes.

I've had 4 burn outings and think I need a better firebox grate. So today I went out and got 6m of 10mm x 10mm square iron, €4. I'll have it ready tomorrow.
    I have a brisket, short ribs, 2" thick ribeye steaks, and cowboy stakes in the freezer to cook.

All I know is it's a hungry BBQ. Needs plenty of charcoal to keep the temp. up, I think that's because of the BBQ ovens large surface area.
    I find an input fan in the firebox's air vent helps to get the temp. up fast and to keep the temp. up.
    But I need a speed control on the fan to adjust the air flow thru the unit. That's coming on Monday.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

clivej wrote: »
    I'm trying to get used to how to use it. I'm using 5kg bags of LIDL briquettes.

I've had 4 burn outings and think I need a better firebox grate. So today I went out and got 6m of 10mm x 10mm square iron, €4. I'll have it ready tomorrow.
    I have a brisket, short ribs, 2" thick ribeye steaks, and cowboy stakes in the freezer to cook.

All I know is it's a hungry BBQ. Needs plenty of charcoal to keep the temp. up, I think that's because of the BBQ ovens large surface area.
    I find an input fan in the firebox's air vent helps to get the temp. up fast and to keep the temp. up.
    But I need a speed control on the fan to adjust the air flow thru the unit. That's coming on Monday.

Have you tried using wood? Looks like you have room in the firebox for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

thejaguar wrote: »
    Has anyone ever gotten anything from O'Mahony's in Coolock?

Are they any good?

Yes, really good bbq butcher, not expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Weather looks decent tomorrow. Will be getting the Smokey Mountain out. Think I'll just keep it simple. Belly ribs, babybacks, wings, maybe a pork shoulder. May go Korean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

The Nal wrote: »
    Weather looks decent tomorrow. Will be getting the Smokey Mountain out. Think I'll just keep it simple. Belly ribs, babybacks, wings, maybe a pork shoulder. May go Korean.

Out of interest what temp will you be running at and how long for each of the above?

tonc76 wrote: »
    Out of interest what temp will you be running at and how long for each of the above?

About 220F.

Pork ribs. The fat belly ones, about 4-5 hours. 3-2-1 method or maybe 3-1-1 depending on how they look. Might tip in a little apple juice and foil the pan for an hour. Last hour to finish with a bit of BBQ sauce which is currently simmering/splashing all over the hob.

Babyback ribs. 3-4 hours. Foiled for the middle hour. BBQ sauce for the last hour. Korean style. Gochujang, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce etc.

Wings. 2 hours ish. May give them a run under the grill for 5 mins to crisp up. Doing them Chinese style - oyster, hoisin, shaoxing, sambal oelek etc.

Pork shoulder. Anywhere from 6 to 10 hours. Its a big one. Have it in an apple juice brine at the moment. Will just do a basic rub on it and have some blueberry ketchup and slaw made for the buns tomorrow.

Nice easy and clean way to feed a crowd!*

*A crowd of 6 from no more than 3 households.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scuba_tom

3kg pork shoulder on since 0730 on the MT. 1st time smoking something that size. Rookie mistake - filled the water pan with cold water so took a good hour to get to temp. Decided not to wrap and just see what happens. Been stalled at 157 for about 3 hours. Hopefully it gets moving soon, might need the chipper on speed dial :D

Scuba_tom wrote: »
    3kg pork shoulder on since 0730 on the MT. 1st time smoking something that size. Rookie mistake - filled the water pan with cold water so took a good hour to get to temp. Decided not to wrap and just see what happens. Been stalled at 157 for about 3 hours. Hopefully it gets moving soon, might need the chipper on speed dial :D

If you wrap it now it will speed up the stall. "The Texas crutch" they call it.

About 220F.

Pork ribs. The fat belly ones, about 4-5 hours. 3-2-1 method or maybe 3-1-1 depending on how they look. Might tip in a little apple juice and foil the pan for an hour. Last hour to finish with a bit of BBQ sauce which is currently simmering/splashing all over the hob.

Babyback ribs. 3-4 hours. Foiled for the middle hour. BBQ sauce for the last hour. Korean style. Gochujang, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce etc.

Wings. 2 hours ish. May give them a run under the grill for 5 mins to crisp up. Doing them Chinese style - oyster, hoisin, shaoxing, sambal oelek etc.

Pork shoulder. Anywhere from 6 to 10 hours. Its a big one. Have it in an apple juice brine at the moment. Will just do a basic rub on it and have some blueberry ketchup and slaw made for the buns tomorrow.

Sounds the job! Photos would be great ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

Scuba_tom wrote: »

Are you using the diffuser plate or snake method?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scuba_tom

Are you using the diffuser plate or snake method?

Used the snake. Hit 225f and stayed there thereabouts for the cook. Wrapped after 10 hours and boosted the heat to 350f. Took it off when it hit 196f. Was ok, didn’t pull that easily but tasted good. Would put it on the night before and let it rest next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭thereitisgone

KUvUb5H.jpg?2

n5vhH2u.jpg?1

iyQSe3X.jpg?1

14 Hours brisket, came out good great smoke flavour

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Hi all!

I'm cooking these drumsticks on a grill mat using indirect heat.. I was just wondering how long would they need. 45 mins to an hour maybe?

Any suggestions great fully received!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Tooler

I've got a Weber 57cm mastertouch bbq. Its great for standard bbq fare, but I'd like to try some slower cooking and am looking at smoker setups. I'd like to get a Smokey Mountain or similar, but thinking I could get close to that by adding a stacker on top of the Weber mastertouch.

These guys make exactly what I'm looking for:
    http://www.barbecuestacker.com/
    Video of it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=bO0JpuDFmHo

With that I could slow cook and it'd also be handy for stuff like beer can chicken. The Barbecue Stacker site says everything is sold out and the website looks pretty old, plus it looks like it is US based.

Any idea if something similar is available over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭lisij

Tooler wrote: »
    I've got a Weber 57cm mastertouch bbq. Its great for standard bbq fare, but I'd like to try some slower cooking and am looking at smoker setups. I'd like to get a Smokey Mountain or similar, but thinking I could get close to that by adding a stacker on top of the Weber mastertouch.

These guys make exactly what I'm looking for:
    http://www.barbecuestacker.com/
    Video of it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=bO0JpuDFmHo

With that I could slow cook and it'd also be handy for stuff like beer can chicken. The Barbecue Stacker site says everything is sold out and the website looks pretty old, plus it looks like it is US based.

Any idea if something similar is available over here?
    Thanks mate, i was looking for some sort of slow cook methods, similar to webers char ring and diffuser, but these not yet available for purchase separately, and only available with mastertouch premium, i was also looking toward the smokey mountain, but didnt liked the idea of having 2 bbq. The idea of bbq stacker is excellent, it will make 2 in 1. Thank you for this option, its should work perfectly. I see they are currently out of stock, hope they will get them back in

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Schrodingercat

I use a slow n sear for long cooks on my weber.

https://www.bbqandsmoke.co.uk/collections/sns-grills/products/slow-n-sear-deluxe

I also have one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/onlyfire-BRK-6025-Enamelled-Rotisserie-Charcoal/dp/B0757HLNF1/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Rotisserie+weber&qid=1600081100&s=outdoors&sr=1-3

Its no good for smoking because it has holes, but is great for chicken or lumps of roast beef. If you are cooking for a big group something on the rotisserie makes life easy. I don't bother with beer can chicken when I have the rotisserie.

At a certain point its easier to buy a smoker, but I got all the attachments bit by bit so there wasn't a huge outlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I got this a few months ago as I didn't want to spend a lot on a smoker to realise I was too lazy or impatient to enjoy it etc. and figured if I liked it I'd buy a WSM, however it's really good, briskets, beef shortribs etc. Only downfall is the size of it, I had to do a 3kg brisket in two halves on the trays as it's not wide enough to do it in one piece. However the upside is it doesn't take up much room in the shed.

For c.120 I thought it was great: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-Charcoal-Smoker-Hanging-Weather/dp/B01M4QB007/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=smoker+bbq&qid=1600083623&sr=8-16

I use a slow n sear for long cooks on my weber.

https://www.bbqandsmoke.co.uk/collections/sns-grills/products/slow-n-sear-deluxe

I also have one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/onlyfire-BRK-6025-Enamelled-Rotisserie-Charcoal/dp/B0757HLNF1/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Rotisserie+weber&qid=1600081100&s=outdoors&sr=1-3

Its no good for smoking because it has holes, but is great for chicken or lumps of roast beef. If you are cooking for a big group something on the rotisserie makes life easy. I don't bother with beer can chicken when I have the rotisserie.

At a certain point its easier to buy a smoker, but I got all the attachments bit by bit so there wasn't a huge outlay.
    I got this a few months ago as I didn't want to spend a lot on a smoker to realise I was too lazy or impatient to enjoy it etc. and figured if I liked it I'd buy a WSM, however it's really good, briskets, beef shortribs etc. Only downfall is the size of it, I had to do a 3kg brisket in two halves on the trays as it's not wide enough to do it in one piece. However the upside is it doesn't take up much room in the shed.

For c.120 I thought it was great: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-Charcoal-Smoker-Hanging-Weather/dp/B01M4QB007/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=smoker+bbq&qid=1600083623&sr=8-16

Thanks for the tips Schrodingercat and Mickiemcfist. Some great looking products there, that'll give me something to mull over.

I'v built this over the past couple of weeks

525343.jpg

525344.jpeg

So today I cooked my first real food, a spatchcock chicken from Aldi. I thought I'd test on something not too expensive. It came out perfect. Next will be a Pork Butt from James Whelan in Clonmel on Saturday.
    I used Weber charcoal briquettes and my PID controlled fan on the air inlet vent. The PID controller worked a treat keeping the temp. within 3C degrees of the 140C set point. about 1.5 hours of a cook, with a couple of Olive chunks added for smoke.

Using the Inkbird Bluetooth temperature 4 probe monitor that gives me the timeline graph.

526387.jpg

526388.jpg

526389.jpg

The PID display does not move in realtime, it's only flashing from my phone video capture.

rsz_20200913_132347.jpg

rsz_20200913_132444.jpg

rsz_20200913_113806.jpg

• Advertisement

So today I cooked my first real food, a spatchcock chicken from Aldi. I thought I'd test on something not too expensive. It came out perfect. Next will be a Pork Butt from Bosco's in Carlow on Saturday.
    I used Weber charcoal briquettes and my PID controlled fan on the air inlet vent. The PID controller worked a treat keeping the temp. within 3C degrees of the 140C set point. about 1.5 hours of a cook, with a couple of Olive chunks added for smoke.
    That's a seriously impressive job. I had a look at the build photos on the Facebook page. Respect!

About 220F.

Sounds the job! Photos would be great ðŸ˜

Had a few so forgot to take pics of the finished products but rubs/prep as below.

1.jpg
    2.jpg

Babybacks, brushed with gochujang and a memphis rub, 5 hours on the smoker and finished off on the grill with korean bbq sauce.

Capture.png

Korean BBQ sauce, bourbon BBQ sauce, blueberry ketchup.

3.jpg

Sundays hungover dinner. Pork, slaw, blueberry kethcup, gruyere.

4.jpg

Also made carolina reaper wing sauce. Diluted it a little bit. Really tasty actually and not too much burn. I had garlic, honey, guajillos and vinegar in the sauce. Just 5-10 mins of consistent heat after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Just ordered online :
    St louis style ribs 2.2kg
    Jacobs ladder Beef ribs 3 bone
    Pork butt 3kg
    From sherwood foods up north
    Pricey enough came to €61 delivered.
    Never used them before do hopefully it's worth it.

Anyone know the best place around Dublin to pick up ready made pork rubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Just ordered online :
    St louis style ribs 2.2kg
    Jacobs ladder Beef ribs 3 bone
    Pork butt 3kg
    From sherwood foods up north
    Pricey enough came to €61 delivered.
    Never used them before do hopefully it's worth it.

If you fancy making your own
    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe

Just make your own from the Tesco own brand stuff. Most of them are 59c a jar.

Don't go near the Schwartz stuff though. They charge €2.60 for the exact same product. Chancers.

SachaJ wrote: »

Was literally just looking at this :)
    Will give it a bash

Just make your own from the Tesco own brand stuff. Most of them are 59c a jar.

Don't go near the Schwartz stuff though. They charge €2.60 for the exact same product. Chancers.

Yeah I usually steer clear of their stuff

Find your nearest Halal shop. All the ingredients for any rub you need to make, and cheap

Find your nearest Halal shop. All the ingredients for any rub you need to make, and cheap

Nearly sure there is one down the road from me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Nearly sure there is one down the road from me

Any of the Asian supermarkets will have tons of spices for way cheaper than you will pay in the supermarkets.

It's worth keeping empties of labeled spice glass jars and then topping them up from the bags you can buy in the Asian shops.

Advertisement