Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Smurts wrote: »
    That looks deadly, great colour!

I got my heat deflector from here for a similar size:

https://www.wlanthermo-shop.de/grillzubehoer/22/deflektor-kamado-13i-xl

Thanks, I'll check that out. I'll admit that I'd never even heard of kamados until this competition but safe to say I'm a convert to the charcoal way of life now haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

oleras wrote: »
    Just an FYI.

The Premium Butcher is doing free delivery on orders over €50 for 48hrs.

Really good brisket and dry aged steaks, have the picana on order for next week.

Is the brisket decent, fancy doing one for the craic this weekend

Ive only ever done one and it half turned out dry the center

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

Is the brisket decent, fancy doing one for the craic this weekend

Ive only ever done one and it half turned out dry the center

You could try injecting it with stock and wrapping it when it stalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Ahh brisket rubbed up and ready to go for in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭thereitisgone

siARgcs.jpg6fBUvs1.jpgZjJxCi9.jpg?1

• Advertisement

Cold smoked cheese for xmas, smoked about 16 hours, please dont open another thread for another kind of smoking i only do this once a year so would be quite lonely in there, Finnish kermajuusto, and a few different cheddars vacuum packed some with garlic paste and parsley oregano rest with tabasco habenero

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Cold smoked cheese for xmas, smoked about 16 hours, please dont open another thread for another kind of smoking i only do this once a year so would be quite lonely in there, Finnish kermajuusto, and a few different cheddars vacuum packed some with garlic paste and parsley oregano rest with tabasco habenero

Cold smokers and pellet grillers alike !

G7z9Nb4.jpg?1

Started brisket early this morning, see how this turns out, thinking it might take about ten hours

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

G7z9Nb4.jpg?1

Started brisket early this morning, see how this turns out, thinking it might take about ten hours

Looks very nice, where did you buy it from?
    Will you wrap it up at the stall to stop it drying out at the table?

clivej wrote: »
    Looks very nice, where did you buy it from?
    Will you wrap it up at the stall to stop it drying out at the table?

Bought here in Finland, yes definitely wrap at the stall, just wrapped it while ago
    Injected beef stock last night then a rub of half salt and pepper
    Think the ten hours was optimistic 8 hours in now and still long way to go but no problem,
    no dinner time was set in stone so all good
    Probably around 12 if i have to guesstimate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Bought here in Finland, yes definitely wrap at the stall, just wrapped it while ago Injected beef stock last night then a rub of half salt and pepper Think the ten hours was optimistic 8 hours in now and still long way to go but no problem, no dinner time was set in stone so all good Probably around 12 if i have to guesstimate

I was thinking you were being a bit optimistic with 10 hrs 12 to 14 id say is more realistic either way it will be worth the wait. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

How much should I be expecting to pay for a brisket roughly, I appreciate they are differing sizes. I've seen what look like half brisket for 45 euro in a local butchers here which seems expensive

I tried registering with pallas goods but they neither respond to emails or let people register now it seems.
    Is there other options that would deliver to galway.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

The premium butcher does 3kg for about 25. But yea local butchers can be up to 40.

A guy from Texas I know recommended this:

https://www.sherwoodfoods.co.uk/shop/beef/beef-packer-brisket/

Main benefit being that it is packer cut, which typically is not available in Ireland. I prefer to buy local but will probably try this out at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

musgraves do a brisket, if you can get a cash n carry card. It does not say the price but lots of their stuff is reasonable. They also had huge slabs of pork belly which would look class if feeing lots.

https://order.musgravemarketplace.ie/link/en/fresh-chilled-goods/meat-poultry/catering-pre-cut-beef/standard-steaks/butchers-select-brisket-av-weight-9-5kg-/175969/p/?parm=CAT1MUSGRAVE&prdcod=175969

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Looks like all their meat is sent frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

budgemook wrote: »

Main benefit being that it is packer cut, which typically is not available in Ireland. I prefer to buy local but will probably try this out at some stage.

Gotten brisket, pork butt and beef ribs from there and its excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That pic doesn't do it any favours - looks very dry.
    Come to think of it, every pic I see of bbq brisket, it looks dry.

I'm really struggling to see the almost mythical allure of this cut of meat which seems insanely difficult to cook perfectly.

So, why does everyone get so excited bout this cut?
    Is it because it's so difficult to cook well?

How much should I be expecting to pay for a brisket roughly, I appreciate they are differing sizes. I've seen what look like half brisket for 45 euro in a local butchers here which seems expensive

I tried registering with pallas goods but they neither respond to emails or let people register now it seems.
    Is there other options that would deliver to galway.

Thanks

I'm getting my briskets for about €25, James Whelan, Clonmel will post as will others.

I'm really struggling to see the almost mythical allure of this cut of meat which seems insanely difficult to cook perfectly.

The brisket I cooked, 12 hours, was very moist and tasted great BUT did dry out quick enough on the table. I have been told to wrap it at the stall to keep it moist for longer.

• Advertisement

I suppose it's the challenge of getting it right? But yeah, for me it is usually not worth the hassle and that's why I've only done it twice on the BBQ - first time it was a massive piece and I had to take it off at 9pm before it reached the right temp, second time it was a piece of crap cut, two small bits rolled up together. So between trying to get a good cut and trying to cook it right and have it ready for the right time it sure is a pain but it's a challenge I want to complete for sure.

Until I feel like doing it again I'll just do short ribs instead.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

I suppose it's the challenge of getting it right? But yeah, for me it is usually not worth the hassle and that's why I've only done it twice on the BBQ - first time it was a massive piece and I had to take it off at 9pm before it reached the right temp, second time it was a piece of crap cut, two small bits rolled up together. So between trying to get a good cut and trying to cook it right and have it ready for the right time it sure is a pain but it's a challenge I want to complete for sure.

Until I feel like doing it again I'll just do short ribs instead.

Also worth trying beef chuck and beef checks as delicious low and slow smoked options.

fitz wrote: »
    Also worth trying beef chuck and beef checks as delicious low and slow smoked options.

Big fan of beef cheeks! Meant to bbq some before but never have. On the list.

I did beef cheeks a few year ago ,they were absolutely rank.stright into the bin.
    Yesterday I did a big pork neck on the kamado .
    Came out class.
    Hadn't used the the kamado in a while and was feeling guilty.Ribs next weekend for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

fitz wrote: »

Is beef Chuck the American name for the cut? Is there another name for it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

Is beef Chuck the American name for the cut? Is there another name for it?

No, if you ask a butcher for chuck here they'll know what your talking about. It's shoulder.

For me its definitely the challenge
    Every time i smoke it i get closer to my target of juiciness
    Have smoked for years usually pork and fish, but started with the brisket about a year ago
    I think what i have learned from the brisket has improved overall how i smoke
    I give much more attention to the little details when i smoke anything now because of the brisket education
    Was going to leave brisket till spring, but just seen great advertisment today here in Finland for Finnish black Angus brisket
    So reluctantly, the quest continues this weekend

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I did beef cheeks a few year ago ,they were absolutely rank.stright into the bin.
    Yesterday I did a big pork neck on the kamado .
    Came out class.
    Hadn't used the the kamado in a while and was feeling guilty.Ribs next weekend for sure.

Beef cheeks ate unbelievable when cooked right. Smoke them and then wrap them with beef stock.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

A well cooked brisket is the nicest piece of meat you'll eat from A BBQ. Well worth the effort.

It's not even that difficult. Hold the right temperature for the right amount of time and you're 90% there.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Brian? wrote: »
    A well cooked brisket is the nicest piece of meat you'll eat from A BBQ. Well worth the effort.

It's not even that difficult. Hold the right temperature for the right amount of time and you're 90% there.

What is that temp do you mind telling? (Haven’t tried brisket yet busy trying to learn as much as possible)

Advertisement