Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's a pain in the arse cooking a brisket. Get up at 2am, insert brisket to be ready for 6pm the next day.

A big hunk of short rib for the win imo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

What is that temp do you mind telling? (Haven’t tried brisket yet busy trying to learn as much as possible)

Anywhere between 225 and 250f.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

RasTa wrote: »
    It's a pain in the arse cooking a brisket. Get up at 2am, insert brisket to be ready for 6pm the next day.

I buy a brisket ear and cook it in 8-9 hours. Saves that kind of long cook.

I definitely prefer eating Jacobs ladder ribs. I don’t even use a temp probe to cook them, I cook them by feel and they come out perfect.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I've reheated brisket Sous Vide style before and it turned out great. Really juicy still.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Why not just smoke it over night and put it in a cooler until needed? I got up early to do my first few now just stick it on around 10pm and let it run, once you have stable temp nothing else to do but sleep:)

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    I buy a brisket ear and cook it in 8-9 hours. Saves that kind of long cook.

I definitely prefer eating Jacobs ladder ribs. I don’t even use a temp probe to cook them, I cook them by feel and they come out perfect.

Cook until you get that jiggle :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

My order of Monster Ribs arrived from the UK this evening, sent off to me on Monday. Just starting to thaw out but still very cold, packed on frozen gel bags and silver bubble wrap, in the frezzer now.
    2 racks of ribs at 3kg each. Looking forward to getting them on my DIY reverse flow BBQ ASAP.

https://www.sherwoodfoods.co.uk/shop/pork/monster-spare-ribs/

clivej wrote: »
    My order of Monster Ribs arrived from the UK this evening, sent off to me on Monday. Just starting to thaw out but still very cold, packed on frozen gel bags and silver bubble wrap, in the frezzer now.
    2 racks of ribs at 3kg each. Looking forward to getting them on my DIY reverse flow BBQ ASAP.

Was thinking of getting these the last time but opted for the st Louis ribs, let us know how they turn out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I like to see them side by side with the €5 ribs from O’Mahony Meats just to see the difference. :)

Good cooking!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I like to see them side by side with the €5 ribs from O’Mahony Meats just to see the difference. :)

Good cooking!

Speaking of which - I've been using these to hone my bbq technique and so far failing spectacularly. My temps are all over the shop.

But for the price I'm happy to keep trying - I'm learning as I go.

If anyone has any tips on rubs or marinade for these that I can try I'd appreciate it.

• Advertisement

I see higgins are doing dry aged briskets. Seems pointless

https://higginsbutchers.ie/shop/beef/brisket/

I see higgins are doing dry aged briskets. Seems pointless

https://higginsbutchers.ie/shop/beef/brisket/

Why pointless?

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Why pointless?

Tis a low and slow cook. Although only 4.50 difference between 28 and 42 day.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

What is that temp do you mind telling? (Haven’t tried brisket yet busy trying to learn as much as possible)

Internal temp should be about 200-205F when done. then let it rest and serve at about internal temp 165F.

What I've started doing recently for longer cooks is to give them 3-4 hours on smoker and then wrap and pop in oven at 225-250F for however long it takes. No need t worry about fluctuating temperature overnight and it's not taking on any more smoke after a couple of hours anyway.

Once done, can be kept in cooler or in a low oven (say 150F) for a longer hold.

F.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

We have just finished Monster pork spare ribs from Sherwoods. Turned out fantastic. Juicy, tender and delicious. I used the 3-2-1 method at 110C and put Meatheads Memphis Dust on 3 hours before hitting the hot coals.

We have just finished Monster pork spare ribs from Sherwoods. Turned out fantastic. Juicy, tender and delicious. I used the 3-2-1 method at 110C and put Meatheads Memphis Dust on 3 hours before hitting the hot coals.

Looks tops mate

There were 11 big meaty ribs on the 3kg rack, 2 Ribs were more than enough for anyone, I could only manage 1 big one. I'd have to say these were very good, I can highly recommend you all try these out. At €22 + post they are great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Hi. Just wondering has anyone bought a Drum BBQ from Barrel Kings in Holland. ???

Any thoughts on their products????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Have a turkey defrosting as we speak in the fridge to low n slow on the Weber Kettle for thanksgiving.

Any tips on BBQ'ing a 5kg Turkey?
    Is there a way to save gravy on the BBQ?
    Should I stuff it?

Rough cooking times? I have the diffuser plate and smoke ring and have done a couple of shoulders at 225-240f, so can set it up easily enough at that temp. Or is that a bit low?

Anyways, I've the day off and really looking forward to seeing how this will turn out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Have a turkey defrosting as we speak in the fridge to low n slow on the Weber Kettle for thanksgiving.

Should I stuff it?

Rough cooking times? I have the diffuser plate and smoke ring and have done a couple of shoulders at 225-240f, so can set it up easily enough at that temp. Or is that a bit low?

Anyways, I've the day off and really looking forward to seeing how this will turn out.

No idea re the turkey but hopefully you can answer a few questions re the diffuser plate and smoke ring ... I fired mine up yesterday for baby back ribs but found it really hard to get the temp up to 225 - 250f and then when I opened up the vents it went to 300f. Any tips on maintaining 225 - 240f? Amount of lit coals to start (in the centre I presume?), vent settings etc

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Should I stuff it?

I don’t think you need to go that low for a turkey. I’m planning to follow amazingribs recipe for Christmas and it says 325 is fine. Have a look at their site anyway

Link:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/turkey-recipes/bbq-and-grilled-turkey-recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Some advice here. He advocates dry brining and then chilling the breast with a bag of icecubes before cooking to try to avoid dry meat.

tonc76 wrote: »
    No idea re the turkey but hopefully you can answer a few questions re the diffuser plate and smoke ring ... I fired mine up yesterday for baby back ribs but found it really hard to get the temp up to 225 - 250f and then when I opened up the vents it went to 300f. Any tips on maintaining 225 - 240f? Amount of lit coals to start (in the centre I presume?), vent settings etc

Never had a problem keeping it low.
    I use the snake method (kind of). which is lighting 2/3 coals with the chimney starter and adding to the edge of a bunch of coals ((like maybe 40). I have the bottom completely closed and regulate the heat with the top vent. You only have the top vent open a small amount like maybe 1/5th and work it from there. I have two temp guages hooked up to my bluetooth thermo, one for the rack, the second for the meat. Works a charm

This guy is droll, but spot on.
    https://youtu.be/AIXsgPHxt6M

tangy wrote: »
    Some advice here. He advocates dry brining and then chilling the breast with a bag of icecubes before cooking to try to avoid dry meat.

I always put a herb butter under the skin for this (when I use the oven). Will be doing something similar.

Should I stuff it?

I've done a few turkeys that size on the Smoky Mountain. A couple were nice and a couple were really really nice. Better than a normal oven anyway.

225-240F is perfect. Took about 4 1/2 - 5 hours. 30 mins (ish) per pound.

I brined a couple of times. First time brined it for 3 days. Didn't notice much of a difference to be honest. The trick is basically not to open the BBQ if you can avoid it and get the temp bang on 160c when you take it off. Let it rest for 2 hours.

Gravy, wouldn't bother. Theres a smoke taste from the turkey already and the juices left in the pan are very strong and smokey. The whole plate will just taste of smoke. Just make some pan gravy. Stock, herbs, maybe some mustard or redcurrent jelly etc.

Stuffing, no. You need air circulating at that temperature. Maybe chuck a lemon in there but leave lots of room.

So keep it simple. Seasoning rub, or maybe some lemon pepper and/or herbed butter under the skin. Don't over smoke and if you need to, wrap the legs in some foil halfway through for an hour to speed them up as the same rules apply on the smoker - battling the leg cooking time vs drying out the breasts.

Try add some water to the BBQ, in a pan below where the juice can fall into aswell to circulate moisture.

This was my 3rd or 4th effort, the one I kept the most simple and the nicest one so far.

20151211-194330.jpg

Also did a pork belly that day according to Google photos! Dont remember it.

20151211-134546.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

tangy wrote: »

I've seen this in a few places recently , but had never heard of it before.

I get the logic of it , but has anyone actually done it and does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

Regarding gravy for the turkey - I don't think it's worth saving the cooking juices but there will be plenty of resting juices to use. Be careful though, the gravy will be very smokey. I liked it like that but my family still give me stick for ruining the Christmas gravy that year.

The Nal wrote: »

Gravy, wouldn't bother. Theres a smoke taste from the turkey already and the juices left in the pan are very strong and smokey. The whole plate will just taste of smoke. Just make some pan gravy. Stock, herbs, maybe some mustard or redcurrent jelly etc.

Stuffing, no. You need air circulating at that temperature. Maybe chuck a lemon in there but leave lots of room.

This is another question I have. I have some really good gravy already made (the jamie oliver get ahead version), but I'd love to try and keep some of the juices from the bird. Think of using a water/drip pan (or did you cook your bird in a aluminium pan on a trivet of veg?) and then using the drippings to add to the gravy.

Also, might stuff the neck, not the main cavity, I never stuff the main cavity anyways.

Thoughts?

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I've seen this in a few places recently , but had never heard of it before.

I get the logic of it , but has anyone actually done it and does it work?

I suppose the theory is to get the temp right down so it takes longer to cook. Cant see ice cooling down breasts from an 11lb turkey all the way through. Id try cook the legs faster tbh.

Or cook two small turkeys!
    This is another question I have. I have some really good gravy already made (the jamie oliver get ahead version), but I'd love to try and keep some of the juices from the bird. Think of using a water/drip pan (or did you cook your bird in a aluminium pan on a trivet of veg?) and then using the drippings to add to the gravy.

Also, might stuff the neck, not the main cavity, I never stuff the main cavity anyways.

Thoughts?

I cooked mine on the grates. But the Weber has a water pan below the grates anyway which was filled with water and the juices fell into that and then evaporated with the water throughout the cook. Nice moist environment.

I made some "optional" gravy with the smoker juices before, turkey cooked on grates on top of a foil pan. Just too much smoke. And bits of charcoal etc. Even adding a little bit of resting juice to your gravy can ruin a meal. Smoked turkey, smoked gravy, smoked spuds, smoked sprouts, smoked stuffing, smoked carrots.

The Jamie Oliver one is lovely and will work fine. Plenty of smoke already from the turkey meat. You'll have a slight moment of "is that part raw or is it a smoke ring?" regardless of how little wood you use.

Don't bother with the stuffing. It'll slow down the cooking time in the area you need it to cook quickest, the front, the legs, the hip joint etc. And the stuffing wont cook properly due to the size of the bird and the low temperature. The heat won't even get to it for a couple of hours. It'll be a soggy, uncooked smoky mess.

Honestly the best advice I can give is to keep is real simple. The cooking temp and the time is what makes it and keeps it juicy. Concentrate 99% on that. A simple bit of seasoning, some water in a foil pan or whatever and watch the temp.

Advertisement