Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Has anyone ever smoked a Christmas spiced beef?

Would the smoke crossed with the unusual spice mix make it too much flavour confusion?

I got a smallish piece before Christmas that I froze. Due to home renovations my KJ is under wraps for a few weeks but wondering if I should save then beef for when it’s back out or just boil it like normal

I had the same idea but decided against it as I'd say it'd just be a mess & I love spiced beef too much to ruin it. I don't think the smoke would go well with the spice mix, but if you do it report back! Might be able to get a cheap spiced beef somewhere now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Seen a price for the master touch 5750 for €299 (can’t see delivery cost. Is this a decent deal? Seems to be 30 odd quid off the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Seen a price for the master touch 5750 for €299 (can’t see delivery cost. Is this a decent deal? Seems to be 30 odd quid off the norm.

Looks like a good deal. Comes with some accessories. Cant make my mind up if i want this one or the Premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

picachu wrote: »
    Looks like a good deal. Comes with some accessories. Cant make my mind up if i want this one or the Premium.

https://www.clonmelgardencentre.ie/p/weber-mastertouch-e-5750-black/48127

Delivery for an extra 5er which all in is a great deal (I have no connection nor affiliation to the garden centre).

I bought the premium last year and it's great but I'm not gone on the hinged lid as it can be tricky to get a good seal when closed (I have reversed the spring also as a hack). When smoking food you'll need to rotate the grate to sit the food under the vent rather than rotating the lid for a non hinged version.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Any sign of them selling the new smoke ring thing from the latest version of the Mastertouch kettle separately?

Looks like it would be a good upgrade to the older models

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Any sign of them selling the new smoke ring thing from the latest version of the Mastertouch kettle separately?

Looks like it would be a good upgrade to the older models

https://www.wowbbq.co.uk/categories/weber-spares/weber-spares/product/weber-charcoal-ring-and-diffuser-plate/67571-67587~67571-67587#general

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

heroics wrote: »

Am I missing something with this? You could set your baskets to contain the charcoal and put a pizza pan (€10 in Tesco) over the coals and save about £140.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

davegilly wrote: »
    Saucy price though!!

I know. Mental! I went looking for it because when I was getting the garden done someone drove over my diffuser plate in a mini digger so I was going to replace it. When I saw the price I didn’t bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭narodvale

picachu wrote: »

I’d echo the comment above.

Nabbed the Premium for €315 on Black Friday. To be honest the hinged lid seems like more of a nuisance to date than anything else. I haven’t had the chance to runa good smoke on it yet, but even the diffuser and ring looks poorly made.

Not sure the Premiums worth the extra money at full price

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Am I missing something with this? You could set your baskets to contain the charcoal and put a pizza pan (€10 in Tesco) over the coals and save about £140.

It's solving a problem that doesn't exist as well.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

neris wrote: »

Simple answer is to stick to briquettes. It’s made from off cuts of wood from the furniture industry.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Thinking about purchasing a kamado bono grande (from higgins butchers). I have a 4 burner gas grill now, which I love and use weekly. I wanted to take a step towards smoking my own meats and I think that this one might tick all the boxes. Opinions?

https://higginsbutchers.ie/shop/manado-bono-charcoal-grill/kamado-bono-grande/

As well, where would you buy top quality charcoal?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

As well, where would you buy top quality charcoal?

I got some during the summer from Eddie's Smokeless Fuels on Hole in the Wall Road. They had a decent selection at the time - I believe they supply some restaurants locally.

thejaguar wrote: »
    I got some during the summer from Eddie's Smokeless Fuels on Hole in the Wall Road. They had a decent selection at the time - I believe they supply some restaurants locally.

Lived one minute from him up to december. Moved to the southside now

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

Thinking about purchasing a kamado bono grande (from higgins butchers). I have a 4 burner gas grill now, which I love and use weekly. I wanted to take a step towards smoking my own meats and I think that this one might tick all the boxes. Opinions?

https://higginsbutchers.ie/shop/manado-bono-charcoal-grill/kamado-bono-grande/

They look like amazing value compared to the cost of my original Kamado Joe Classic a few years ago.

fitz wrote: »
    They look like amazing value compared to the cost of my original Kamado Joe Classic a few years ago.

Now I need to convince the wife after I bought the gas BBQ last summer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

fitz wrote:

Im of the opinion you get what you pay for though. I looked at those a few years ago and decided to hold off for a monolith.

Still holding off :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Now I need to convince the wife after I bought the gas BBQ last summer...

Tell her you won it in a competition on Boards! :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Tell her you won it in a competition on Boards! :rolleyes: :D

... after you'd spent 800 euro on competition tickets :eek:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭john jameson

Hi folks !
    New be here.
    Iv being looking trough boards for a section on grilling and smoking with charcoal I'm looking for advice and ideas.
    I bought a 57cm weber grill last summer and now my 2 kids are getting to enjoy charcoal grilled food..
    Have I come to the right section??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Hi folks !
    New be here.
    Iv being looking trough boards for a section on grilling and smoking with charcoal I'm looking for advice and ideas.
    I bought a 57cm weber grill last summer and now my 2 kids are getting to enjoy charcoal grilled food..
    Have I come to the right section??

You sure are

deckie27 wrote: »
    You sure are

Excellent !! I'm looking forward to getting some suggestions. Iv got a rack of ribs finishing on the weber grill right now I'm sure there be no issue posting a picture or 2 of finished ribs .

I bought 5 large chicken breasts from butcher on friday and I had a can of orchard thief's cider in the fridge so I decided to marinate the breasts in the cider over night in the fridge is this a good idea??
    There in a zip bag!
    My plan is to remove tomorrow before dinner pat dry and il put rub on 3 of them and leave 2 of them as is il see what the kids make of the rub if they don't like it iv the 2 other breasts to fall back on !! I'm hoping by marinating over night they will stay moist!! A good buddy of mine suggested I cut them in the middle open them out like a book and grill them hot and fast !!
    Am I going in the right direction??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Builder putting down a base for me for shed so I'm going asking him to build a bbq for me, anyone know any decent sights for plans or ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

niallo27 wrote: »
    Builder putting down a base for me for shed so I'm going asking him to build a bbq for me, anyone know any decent sights for plans or ideas.

You see some deadly ideas on Pinterest but not sure about plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

I bought 5 large chicken breasts from butcher on friday and I had a can of orchard thief's cider in the fridge so I decided to marinate the breasts in the cider over night in the fridge is this a good idea??
    There in a zip bag!
    My plan is to remove tomorrow before dinner pat dry and il put rub on 3 of them and leave 2 of them as is il see what the kids make of the rub if they don't like it iv the 2 other breasts to fall back on !! I'm hoping by marinating over night they will stay moist!! A good buddy of mine suggested I cut them in the middle open them out like a book and grill them hot and fast !!
    Am I going in the right direction??

I wouldn't cut the breasts. Cook hot but slight of direct heat to allow it to cool through.

I'm not a fan of chicken fillets on a BBQ. Always seem to get to dry

Chicken oysters or wings are my go to... Or a whole chicken sitting on a can of beer or cider

Look up meatheads Memphis dust. Fantastic for chicken and pork

Also look up a vortex make a great job for chicken pieces and searing steaks etc

(Or get a dog bowl and cut the bottom off it)

Advertisement