Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭john jameson

deckie27 wrote: »
    I wouldn't cut the breasts. Cook hot but slight of direct heat to allow it to cool through.

I'm not a fan of chicken fillets on a BBQ. Always seem to get to dry

Chicken oysters or wings are my go to... Or a whole chicken sitting on a can of beer or cider

Look up meatheads Memphis dust. Fantastic for chicken and pork

Also look up a vortex make a great job for chicken pieces and searing steaks etc

(Or get a dog bowl and cut the bottom off it)

Iv just removed the chicken breasts and iv season 3 of them! The other 2 are for kids in case they dont like the seasoning.
    I think what il try is sear them over the hot coals for 2-3 min each side or till they look good and them finish them off to one side ! Fingers cross ....
    The ribs came out well yesterday lovely flavour and real soft &moist..

Iv just removed the chicken breasts and iv season 3 of them! The other 2 are for kids in case they dont like the seasoning.
    I think what il try is sear them over the hot coals for 2-3 min each side or till they look good and them finish them off to one side ! Fingers cross ....
    The ribs came out well yesterday lovely flavour and real soft &moist..

Picked these lads up from the butcher aswell
    Used the classic chinese on the ribs it is nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Rotiserie chicken, green beans with garlic & Friday night's potatoes done last night. Read somewhere to pierce the skin to let the juices baste the chicken. Also let the hat run a little too hot. Won't be doing that again. Beans & garlic turned out lovely though

20210123-202455.jpg

neris wrote: »
    Rotiserie chicken, green beans with garlic & Friday night's potatoes done last night. Read somewhere to pierce the skin to let the juices baste the chicken. Also let the hat run a little too hot. Won't be doing that again. Beans & garlic turned out lovely though

20210123-202455.jpg
    Looks class

Looks class
    Have to say the chicken came out very good!! Kids enjoyed it.
    It stayed very moist &juicy and had a lovely charing on outside so very happy .

• Advertisement

For those of you doing pizza on BBQ coals, what temp are you using?
    Here's a few observations:

1. Many pizza stones will break beyond temps of 300 C (do you know of any brands that don't? )

2. Pizza base cooks a lot faster than topping unless you've a good warm oven overall so can lead to burning the base

3. Heat diffuser is a must (with a small Kamado) but it plays havoc with getting/maintaining decent temp - obviously with a large weber or kamado, you can play with indirect heat but i can't,

I think i've started to crack this pizza making lark with some good results this weekend and great bases. Total cook time on average was about 6-7 minutes a pizza. Temperature reading throughout cook was about 250c, not much higher than that, but obviously the base would have been closer to 300c I closed down the top lid completely to keep the heat in- this worked perfectly but it took a bit longer then (about 10mins) for the kamado to get back up to cooking temp for the next pizza- not the end of the world but slows you down if doing a load of small pizzas (9 inch)

Really interested to hear how others are doing things and how you prevent a burnt base, but as i say, getting good results now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

I use good quality lump wood for pizza - it gets really hot and I'll bring it right up to 400.

I bought a granite stepping stone from woodies garden section that I used for pizza. It's really thick and won't crack like a pizza stone designed for an oven. I took the corners off with a chisel but it's a bit messy so I'll probably get a new one and try again in the spring - I have to make my pizzas oblong to fit on it correctly. I get the dome good and hot and the base and top cook evenly in about 3 minutes or so. I have considered contacting the guys who make kitchen work tops and things like that to see if they would cut one for me but I reckon it will cost a few quid (even though I wouldn't need it polished).

One big improvement I've made to my pizzas recently has been to stretch the base rather than roll them. It gets the base super thin with a nice thick crust that rises during cooking.

budgemook wrote: »
    I use good quality lump wood for pizza - it gets really hot and I'll bring it right up to 400.

One big improvement I've made to my pizzas recently has been to stretch the base rather than roll them. It gets the base super thin with a nice thick crust that rises during cooking.

+1 for stretching bases-you get a good rise from that- I also find a few fork pricks on the base does no harm also.

Do you place the stone above the charcoal heat directly or do you use a form of diffused heat?

is that 400C? Wow, that's hot.

Mind me asking what coals you use?

+1 for stretching bases-you get a good rise from that- I also find a few fork pricks on the base does no harm also.

Do you place the stone above the charcoal heat directly or do you use form of diffused heat?

Mind me asking what coals you use?

The guy on the kamado joe cooking channel had the diffuser, 4 nuts to create a gap and the pizza stone on top of that so that's what I do, I use a kamado joe classic.

I was getting this quebracho charcoal from a lad in Galway that does be on facebook but he's pretty expensive and would have you driving all sorts of places to meet him. Now I am gone back to the blue bags of "restaurant grade" charcoal from woodfuel.ie - 16 euro a bag and a tenner delivery to Dublin I think it is. It's great stuff.

The guy on the kamado joe cooking channel had the diffuser, 4 nuts to create a gap and the pizza stone on top of that so that's what I do, I use a kamado joe classic.

I was getting this quebracho charcoal from a lad in Galway that does be on facebook but he's pretty expensive and would have you driving all sorts of places to meet him. Now I am gone back to the blue bags of "restaurant grade" charcoal from woodfuel.ie - 16 euro a bag and a tenner delivery to Dublin I think it is. It's great stuff.

I've the KJ Junior. It takes a bit of getting used to. The cheaper "restaurant grade" just doesn't get the heat at all- i've a spare bag if you want it :D

so need to stick to the large lump wood at about 26 a bag. This might be due to the smaller air holes and smaller structure in general of the junior.

Yeah I saw that video with the "nuts" - I saw another game changer video for me on the junior - they placed the diffuser above the accessory rack as opposed to within it, then the grill, then the stone- it gave far more air for the fire to breath but still had the diffuser working- I was trying to do things "by the book" and just did as Kamado told me but this was just a "doh" moment :P

The "nuts" in that video also increasing air circulation which is really important for the pizza cook.

• Advertisement

I've the KJ Junior. It takes a bit of getting used to. The cheaper "restaurant grade" just doesn't get the heat at all- i've a spare bag if you want it :D

so need to stick to the large lump wood at about 26 a bag. This might be due to the smaller air holes and smaller structure in general of the junior.

Yeah I saw that video with the "nuts" - I saw another game changer video for me on the junior - they placed the diffuser above the accessory rack as opposed to within it, then the grill, then the stone- it gave far more air for the fire to breath but still had the diffuser working- I was trying to do things "by the book" and just did as Kamado told me but this was just a "doh" moment :P

The "nuts" in that video also increasing air circulation which is really important for the pizza cook.

Which is the cheaper stuff you mean? The blue bag has pretty large pieces in there compared to other stuff which just has little shards.

Which is the cheaper stuff you mean? The blue bag has pretty large pieces in there compared to other stuff which just has little shards.

Mine had “shards” - great for low and slow but terrible for anything else. I guess it’s trial and error - I’m finding this one good- big chunks and good heat

https://aroomoutside.ie/products/globaltic-2-box-offer?_pos=7&_sid=35c3738a1&_ss=r

Hi all . So I rang a butcher fairly close to my work it's a busy butcher with plenty on offer but no beef cheeks !! He took my no and said he will try to get find some and will ring me later in the week !! Is this a piece of meat that is difficult to get across the country is it a meat that not very popular?? I was chatting to my buddy about chuck roast nut he was saying the cheek beef be handier got and cheaper with near same results off the grill.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hi all . So I rang a butcher fairly close to my work it's a busy butcher with plenty on offer but no beef cheeks !! He took my no and said he will try to get find some and will ring me later in the week !! Is this a piece of meat that is difficult to get across the country is it a meat that not very popular?? I was chatting to my buddy about chuck roast nut he was saying the cheek beef be handier got and cheaper with near same results off the grill.

No, it's not a terribly popular cut.
    Any butcher of any worth should be able to source cheeks, no problem.

Obviously, any whole beast butcher will have cheeks.

No, it's not a terribly popular cut.
    Any butcher of any worth should be able to source cheeks, no problem.

Obviously, any whole beast butcher will have cheeks.

Hopefully towards the end of the week il have a pair and get on with some low and slow grilling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

If your in Dublin OMahony in coolock or Higgins in Sutton normally Jane them. Cheeks (beef & pork) are lovely and probably one of the best cuts but they take to feckin long

I'm around mayo area and surely out of all the butchers around il get a pair of cheeks ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Chuck steak is readily available in my local SuperValu. I assume it is available in other SVs

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Holy Diver wrote: »
    Chuck steak is readily available in my local SuperValu. I assume it is available in other SVs

I think the cheeks they were talking about are different from chuck. The cheeks are - well - cheeks; chuck usually comes from the shoulder.

I'm sorry if I've misread the threading.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Dunnes in cornelscourt have them

• Advertisement

What are your techniques for thick rib eye/cote du boeuf/tomahawk?

I’m using a gas BBQ at the moment and I’m very happy with the reverse searing method. Planning to get a kamado soon, so was wondering if someone uses the reverse method too. We’re taking minimum thickness of two inches

What are your techniques for thick rib eye/cote du boeuf/tomahawk?

I’m using a gas BBQ at the moment and I’m very happy with the reverse searing method. Planning to get a kamado soon, so was wondering if someone uses the reverse method too. We’re taking minimum thickness of two inches

Reverse sear with a bit of wood smoke is top notch.

Dunnes in cornelscourt have them

Good place to look cheers il pop down later ... I did pop out for a rabbit last night there is currently 3 of them hanging in the shed for grill the weekend..
    Fabulous off the charcoal..ilpost a picture of the last ones !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Good place to look cheers il pop down later ... I did pop out for a rabbit last night there is currently 3 of them hanging in the shed for grill the weekend..

wild rabbit?
    Do you not find the legs are tough as old boots if not cooked low and very slow?

I love wild rabbit but I always casserole the legs for 3 or 4 hours and then quickly pan fry the saddles.

wild rabbit?
    Do you not find the legs are tough as old boots if not cooked low and very slow?

I love wild rabbit but I always casserole the legs for 3 or 4 hours and then quickly pan fry the saddles.
    I soak them overnight in salt water but this time I plan on leaving them soak in some sort of fluid not sure yet maybe a beer or cider !! I will do them like last time il season them up and grill for about 45min or so!! Might sear em off first or hot coals and then finish him off to one side . Treat it like the chicken breasts I did recently!
    The last time I done rabbit as in the picture it was fabulous and not tough at all!!

Holy Diver wrote: »

Are they pre packed or do ya ask over the counter!! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Are they pre packed or do ya ask over the counter!! Thanks

Over the counter. I regularly get it for slow cooker. Have never cooked on bbq. Open to suggestions...

Do they have rabbit regularly? I usually get mine at FX Buckley’s

Never grilled them. Usually I make paellas with them. Worth a try. Care to explain how you do it?

Do they have rabbit regularly? I usually get mine at FX Buckley’s

Never grilled them. Usually I make paellas with them. Worth a try. Care to explain how you do it?

The rabbit is free range!! I'm lucky enough to live in an area where rabbits a plenty and healthy!! Ishoot a few on occasion some I keep and othere go to local lad !!
    As for cooking I'm no expert by any means last time round I simple soaked them in salt water over night then next day dried them off coated in a pre made rub got the grill hot and cooked them for around 45 min. I cant remember if I seared first or after the cooking so this time round il sear over the hot coals first and then finish to one side ...probable no harm to spritz now and agen !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fredinho

Go kamado, you won't regret it. I only reverse sear steaks now, bit more effort than just slapping it on the BBQ or a pan, but the difference and taste are so worth it.

The top secret though is allow the steak to rest after taking off heat for at least 5 minutes, will be beyond juicy

Advertisement