Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Found this giant in my bag of charcoal

20210206-192015.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Does anyone have the weber sear plate for their weber?

Looking at picking something different to add on this year.

I might pick up a vortex aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Newtown90 wrote: »

I have a brand new sear plate for sale if you're interested? Bought one and got another as a present so never even been opened!! It's €60-70 brand new depending on where you pick it up. €50 and it's yours? I'll throw in a used Vortex for another €20 as well if you want it?

Newtown90 wrote: »

Go for the vortex 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

So I built my bbq, mate is doing up a tray. Where will I find some big ass grills for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

See a pair of gloves above reminds me .... where would I get a good pair of BBQ gloves. Any Irish shops or mail order. Looking for gloves rather than mitts...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭DaSchmo

Feels like spring is in the air this last few days, I've got a full bag of weber lumpwood and a couple of bags with a small bit of lump left over from last year so this week is as good as any to start cooking outdoors on these brighter evenings. Had a lamb sirloin, some pork chops, chicken breast and lamb kofta for the last few dinners off the grill. Surely I'm not the only one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭con747

Masala wrote: »
    See a pair of gloves above reminds me .... where would I get a good pair of BBQ gloves. Any Irish shops or mail order. Looking for gloves rather than mitts...

Have a pair of these and they do the job for me. One size though so might not suit all. https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/cookware-accessories/oven-easy-miracle-glove-blue/066315.html

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Hi guys.

Haven't been on here in a long time. I have kind of 2 questions in one (I just bought a bbq for the first time last summer so am extremely inexperienced in using one).
    So, I have a Weber Original Classic kettle barbecue. Haven't used it since the end of last summer but plan to start using it again soon once the weather gets a bit milder.
    I found last year - whether using lumpwood or briquette - that I could just about heat the bbq up to 450-ish degrees (I couldn't even always get it to this temp) with the dampers fully open etc.
    Now no sooner had I got to this temp (or as close to it as I could manage) ready for cooking, the heat starting dropping like a stone on me.
    So I couldn't cook anything on high heat for 10 mins as the temp was just going down and down.
    I use a chimney starter to get it going.
    I don't believe I'm doing anything incorrectly in terms of heating up the bbq (checked out some videos to compare to see if anything I was doing was blatantly wrong but they seem to show what I am doing is the exact same).

So, I guess my questions are...
    1. Could it be possibly caused by the charcoal I am using and that I essentially need to buy some better stuff? Or is that totally wrong?
    2. If that may the case - anyone able to recommend me a good brand of charcoal to purchase online?

Cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

gaillimh wrote: »
    Hi guys.

1. Could it be possibly caused by the charcoal I am using and that I essentially need to buy some better stuff? Or is that totally wrong?
    2. If that may the case - anyone able to recommend me a good brand of charcoal to purchase online?

Cheers lads

I'm relatively new to this - so I'm sure you'll get better answers from others on here, but from my experience the thing that caught me out was the amount of charcoal I was using.

I've realised that the cheaper the charcoal, the more I have to use to maintain a decent heat for any length of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hi guys.

Haven't been on here in a long time. I have kind of 2 questions in one (I just bought a bbq for the first time last summer so am extremely inexperienced in using one).
    So, I have a Weber Original Classic kettle barbecue. Haven't used it since the end of last summer but plan to start using it again soon once the weather gets a bit milder.
    I found last year - whether using lumpwood or briquette - that I could just about heat the bbq up to 450-ish degrees (I couldn't even always get it to this temp) with the dampers fully open etc.
    Now no sooner had I got to this temp (or as close to it as I could manage) ready for cooking, the heat starting dropping like a stone on me.
    So I couldn't cook anything on high heat for 10 mins as the temp was just going down and down.
    I don't believe I'm doing anything incorrectly in terms of heating up the bbq (checked out some videos to compare to see if anything I was doing was blatantly wrong but they seem to show what I am doing is the exact same).

Cheers lads

To be honest just sounds like you're not using enough and/or not letting it burn in the chimney for long enough. Even cheapo charcoal shouldn't start dropping temp like that.

Masala wrote: »

I used welding gloves if i need to lift a rack off the kamado etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

con747 wrote: »
    Have a pair of these and they do the job for me. One size though so might not suit all. https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/cookware-accessories/oven-easy-miracle-glove-blue/066315.html

I have those and they're great. No issue lifting the grate off or using my hands near the coals. Unbelievable value.

I have a pair of heavy duty ones I got with my stove too, but wouldn't bother with them for the bbq.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Is 43 cm diameter large enough? Thinking about getting a kamado Bono media out a grande (49cm). It’s only 3 of us in the family, but wouldn’t like to limit myself in the future for the sake of 100 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

Is 43 cm diameter large enough? Thinking about getting a kamado Bono media out a grande (49cm). It’s only 3 of us in the family, but wouldn’t like to limit myself in the future for the sake of 100 euro

Kamado Joe is 18 inches and is fine for most things. You wouldn't want much smaller though if you were doing a few racks of ribs or two joints of meat. I'd say go for the bigger one. You are unlikely to regret that 100 euro in a month or two but could regret going for the small one for years.

budgemook wrote: »
    Kamado Joe is 18 inches and is fine for most things. You wouldn't want much smaller though if you were doing a few racks of ribs or two joints of meat. I'd say go for the bigger one. You are unlikely to regret that 100 euro in a month or two but could regret going for the small one for years.

Those were my thoughts. And do you guys think there’s a big difference between the joe and the Bono? Good bit cheaper the Bono at 850.

Those were my thoughts. And do you guys think there’s a big difference between the joe and the Bono? Good bit cheaper the Bono at 850.

I don't know anything about the Bobo I'm afraid. I only heard of it recently on twitter. Any youtube comparisons?

Some people have said on here that the "masterbuilt" kamado grill is a rebadged version of the original kamado joe classic. Might be worth looking into if the bono doesn't tickle your fancy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hi guys.

Cheers lads

I hate to answer your question with a question, but why do you want it at 450?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Did a spit roasted pork neck last weekend with a recipe from pitmasterx on youtube. Smoked with cherry wood. Lovely and tender and juicy

20210212-181234.jpg
    20210219-112646.jpg
    20210212-181956.jpg
    20210219-112706.jpg
    20210212-183241.jpg
    20210212-202844.jpg
    20210212-213757.jpg

Just can't justify getting joetisserie. Would like one though

• Advertisement

Just can't justify getting joetisserie. Would like one though

Thats not the Weber made one. Its a brand called only fire designed to fit on the weber from amazon in germany. Was a hundred quid cheaper then the weber and have had no issues with it.

neris wrote: »
    Thats not the Weber made one. Its a brand called only fire designed to fit on the weber from amazon in germany. Was a hundred quid cheaper then the weber and have had no issues with it.

Yeah I was never able to find a cheaper alternative for kamado joe. That's how they get you!

Yeah I was never able to find a cheaper alternative for kamado joe. That's how they get you!

Don't have a kamodo but ive got non weber replacement parts and bits for my kettle and they are just as good and the same at half the price. I wanted a spit roaster at 1st my pro q but their spit roast didn't look good and couldn't put the lid on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Cleaned the kamado off yesterday and got the first bbq of 2021 in today... smoked pork shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Hello all, new here. Any idea where can get a prep table to sit beside Weber Charcoal bbq? Like something with a bit of weight, think stainless steel table top and enclosed storage area underneath for chimney/charcoal/bits and pieces. Tried a few of the usual places get bbqs but can’t find anything (which surprises me). Thanks!

mloc123 wrote: »
    Cleaned the kamado off yesterday and got the first bbq of 2021 in today... smoked pork shoulder

Counting the days to get my kamado. Hopefully it’ll come next week. For the moment the gas grill will have to do

Today I told the wife that if the ribs and the steak turned out good in the gas grill, I may reconsider purchasing the kamado.

That damned mouth of mine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

So anyone able to recommend a dry rub for chicken wings done on a Weber with the vortex?

heroics wrote: »
    So anyone able to recommend a dry rub for chicken wings done on a Weber with the vortex?

For chicken thighs I’ve used a 7:7:3 rub of coarse salt, ground peppercorns and dry garlic. Awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

For wings it depends on whether I'm going to do a sauce after. But a nice rub I'll do is (1 is a teaspoon)

1 salt
    1 black pepper
    1 garlic powder
    Half chilli flakes
    2 paprika
    1 oregano
    Juice of a lime ( some ground coriander if I don't have lime)

If I'm doing a frank's style sauce I'll leave off the paprika.

Advertisement