Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

blue note wrote: »
    For wings it depends on whether I'm going to do a sauce after. But a nice rub I'll do is (1 is a teaspoon)

1 salt
    1 black pepper
    1 garlic powder
    Half chilli flakes
    2 paprika
    1 oregano
    Juice of a lime ( some ground coriander if I don't have lime)

If I'm doing a frank's style sauce I'll leave off the paprika.

I think I’ll copy this next time to try. Looks amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fredinho

higster wrote:
    Hello all, new here. Any idea where can get a prep table to sit beside Weber Charcoal bbq? Like something with a bit of weight, think stainless steel table top and enclosed storage area underneath for chimney/charcoal/bits and pieces. Tried a few of the usual places get bbqs but can’t find anything (which surprises me). Thanks!

Following as I'd like to get one too

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Brian? wrote: »
    I hate to answer your question with a question, but why do you want it at 450?
    Isn’t that the temp (Fahrenheit) that is considered to be high heat for cooking burgers etc?

The Nal wrote: »
    To be honest just sounds like you're not using enough and/or not letting it burn in the chimney for long enough. Even cheapo charcoal shouldn't start dropping temp like that.
    Thanks for the reply. This is what is puzzling me as I fill up the starter and wait until the coals have sort of ashed over before tipping them onto the grates.
    Have watched a few vids of it being done and don’t see that I’m doing anything different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

higster wrote: »
    Hello all, new here. Any idea where can get a prep table to sit beside Weber Charcoal bbq? Like something with a bit of weight, think stainless steel table top and enclosed storage area underneath for chimney/charcoal/bits and pieces. Tried a few of the usual places get bbqs but can’t find anything (which surprises me). Thanks!

Ikea have a few

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/cat/bbqs-24898/

I just use a bog standard fold up catering table which works fine. Store the other stuff in the shed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

gaillimh wrote: »
    Isn’t that the temp (Fahrenheit) that is considered to be high heat for cooking burgers etc?

Good question. Is it?

The lid temp isn't really important for direct grilling, burgers etc. The heat at the grill is going to a lot higher than that on the lid.

If you want a high heat sear, back the coals up high on one side of the grill and direct grill over it.

For steaks, reverse sear is better. Cook on the cooler side to a specific internal temp and then sear on the hotter side for a nice finish.

Everything you need to know about setting up your grill is here:

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/how-control-temperature-indirect

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Thanks for the reply. This is what is puzzling me as I fill up the starter and wait until the coals have sort of ashed over before tipping them onto the grates.
    Have watched a few vids of it being done and don’t see that I’m doing anything different.

Do you have other charcoal in there unlit? Or just the chimney full of lit charcoal?

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note:

@ lisij - I've moved your post about a Kamado Joe into the Ceramic BBQ/Grilling thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058086372

Do you have other charcoal in there unlit? Or just the chimney full of lit charcoal?
    No just the chimney full of lit charcoal.
    I place them on one side for direct cooking and leave the other empty for indirect cooking.

No just the chimney full of lit charcoal.
    I place them on one side for direct cooking and leave the other empty for indirect cooking.

I see. I really wouldn’t worry about the lid temperature unless you are slow cooking. If you find the direct side isn’t hot enough use more coals. You’ll know by the seat you get on your food.

Lumpwood is better for direct grilling as well, namchar is the best but the heat can be too high.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

blue note wrote: »
    For wings it depends on whether I'm going to do a sauce after. But a nice rub I'll do is (1 is a teaspoon)

1 salt
    1 black pepper
    1 garlic powder
    Half chilli flakes
    2 paprika
    1 oregano
    Juice of a lime ( some ground coriander if I don't have lime)

If I'm doing a frank's style sauce I'll leave off the paprika.

If I'm doing a franks sauce with it I'll use 3 parts franks sauce, 2 parts butter and a squeeze of honey. Just to complete my most common wings recipe.

I see. I really wouldn’t worry about the lid temperature unless you are slow cooking. If you find the direct side isn’t hot enough use more coals. You’ll know by the seat you get on your food.

Lumpwood is better for direct grilling as well, namchar is the best but the heat can be too high.
    Cheers will have a look around for some of that charcoal. Is there any issue adding unlit charcoal on top of the existing charcoal?
    Wishing I bought the model with the hinged grate now :-)
    Thanks again for the reply by the way. Much appreciated.

Cheers will have a look around for some of that charcoal. Is there any issue adding unlit charcoal on top of the existing charcoal?
    Wishing I bought the model with the hinged grate now :-)
    Thanks again for the reply by the way. Much appreciated.

No issue at all adding unlit charcoal. It's common practice on longer cooks

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭john jameson

Nice for a change !!!!! Kids enjoyed it aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Nice for a change !!!!! Kids enjoyed it aswell.

The SMELL of rashers cooked outside :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Knives.
    I know there’s plenty of questions on knives in the food section , but wanted to check what knives would be worth buying. I don’t have 300 or 400 euro to spend. I have heard good reports of the higher range of IKEA knives. Any reports? I will be keeping them sharpened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

Knives.
    I know there’s plenty of questions on knives in the food section , but wanted to check what knives would be worth buying. I don’t have 300 or 400 euro to spend. I have heard good reports of the higher range of IKEA knives. Any reports? I will be keeping them sharpened.

Victorinox knives are often recommended as high quality, less fancy cheaper alternatives to the big German and Japanese brands. Nisbets have them I think. I have a Victorinox bread knife which I'm very happy with and didn't cost a lot.

For barbecue I'd recommend a chefs knife, a filleting knife and a small utility knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

budgemook wrote: »
    Victorinox knives are often recommended as high quality, less fancy cheaper alternatives to the big German and Japanese brands. Nisbets have them I think. I have a Victorinox bread knife which I'm very happy with and didn't cost a lot.

For barbecue I'd recommend a chefs knife, a filleting knife and a small utility knife.

I have a couple of victorinox and very happy with them. Think they are the 10 inch and 8 inch ones as well as a bread knife and a couple of tomato/paring ones

One thing on knives - in a lot of brisket videos that pop up they have these long knifes that are rounded instead of pointed at the top and I think they have indentations all along the blade. I'm not sure what they are called but they look pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

One thing on knives - in a lot of brisket videos that pop up they have these long knifes that are rounded instead of pointed at the top and I think they have indentations all along the blade. I'm not sure what they are called but they look pretty cool.

https://www.nisbets.ie/victorinox-fully-forged-slicing-knife-fluted-blade-black-26cm/dr504?vatToggle=incvat&gclid=1&cm_mmc=PLA-_-6471751824-_-78248912355-_-DR504&cm_mmca1=go_6471751824_78248912355_381569394642_pla-854364038081_c_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Knives.

Some of the ikea ones are decent. The older 365 knives with the rubber handles were good. But the new versions have metal handles like global knives which I'm not a fan off. They look cool but I prefer a wooden or plastic handle for grip. They do have new ones which seem to be the same.
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/voerda-vegetable-knife-black-60289244/

Ikea to have a dearer range but at that price point your can get Wusthof or Zwilling. I'd add a bread knife and a steel to budgemooks list for the basic set of knives needed and maybe a cleaver depending on what cuts of meat you use.
    tonc76 wrote: »

Cheaper version.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-5-4723-30-Slicing-Granton-Stainless/dp/B0000CFDB9/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=victorinox+carving+knife&qid=1614814647&sr=8-2

I don't have one but have used one a few times. They are really good for carving large joints of meat. Must pick up one at some stage.

My main set of knives are a nearly 20 year old set of Richardson sheffield. Think about upgrading them sometimes but they still are in good nick. I look after them stored properly, only cut on wood or plastic chopping boards and use a steel on them regularly. I rarely actually have to sharpen them. I do have a Anolan santoku that I really like if I had to choose only one knife to use it would be the one.

Tempted by Victorinx knives definitely the best entry level knives but I'll probably switch to Wusthoff when I see them on sale at some stage.

Re knives: no knife is any use if you don’t keep it sharp. I use a steel before every time I use a knife and when I feel or see it’s losing its edge I use a whetstone.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Re knives: no knife is any use if you don’t keep it sharp. I use a steel before every time I use a knife and when I feel or see it’s losing its edge I use a whetstone.

That's the big issue most people don't know how to look after knives. They cut on plates and glass chopping boards, throw them in the dishwasher and store them loose in drawers then wonder why they are blunt and go back to using a cheap serrated knife. I bring a knife with me when going to my mums or parents in law for dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I got a whetstone in woodies for about a tenner. It has a rough side and a smooth side. It's not as fine as some of the stones people recommend but it's about a fifth of the price and keeps my knives slicing finely.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Can anyone recommend a BBQ book that explains the basics of a creating good charcoal BBQ for a beginner?

I've someone who loves to barbecue but needs to learn from scratch because they burn everything on it. Something with a few nice recipes would be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Neyite wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a BBQ book that explains the basics of a creating good charcoal BBQ for a beginner?

I've someone who loves to barbecue but needs to learn from scratch because they burn everything on it. Something with a few nice recipes would be good too.

Meathead.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Meathead.

Brilliant -that's exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Schrodingercat

I have Weber's Complete BBQ Book- It goes through all the basics -placing coals, lighting the barbecue, heat zones, and has loads of recipes and pages of rubs / marinades.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Webers-Complete-BBQ-Book-Jamie-Purviance/9780600635116

The meathead book looks the business as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

• Advertisement

Yeah I have the Weber complete book - it's very good. I got it in TK maxx for a tenner or something like that. I think it turn up in there from time to time.

Advertisement