Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

foodaholic wrote: »
    whats your dough recipe ?

Last time I made pizza was the first time I left the dough overnight. I started with this recipe - https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/recipes/bread/overnight-pizza-dough

I changed it a bit - I used 00 flour, not regular strong flour and on the second day I added 100 grams of flour and 100 grams of semola (and the teaspoon of salt is a good teaspoon). Also, I don't roll it at all, just stretch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

budgemook wrote: »
    Last time I made pizza was the first time I left the dough overnight. I started with this recipe - https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/recipes/bread/overnight-pizza-dough

I changed it a bit - I used 00 flour, not regular strong flour and on the second day I added 100 grams of flour and 100 grams of semola (and the teaspoon of salt is a good teaspoon). Also, I don't roll it at all, just stretch it.

This is the recipe we use, coming from a Neapolitan work colleague crazy about pizza. Her dad owns a pizza restaurant in Naples

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Anyone here use Cuban Marabu lumpwood? Got some off a crowd in Louth. Finding it hard to get it going. Using a Weber chimney starter and 2 Weber starter cubes underneath. Takes way longer to get going than the apple wood I was using before.

I only have a mini kamado that can be hit and miss for maintaining temps once the ignited coals are in. Air flow seems to get cut off pretty easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Ended up picking up a 10kg bag of Weber Charcoal for 20 quid in the local hardware. 4kg bag of Weber briquettes for 8 euro. Not sure how good or bad them prices are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Where are you guys getting your meat from now, was using Sherwoods up the North as I found their meat excellent amd had all the cuts I use. But they are not delivering down south anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Holy Diver wrote: »
    You could try something similar or maybe meathead’s Simon and Garfunkel rub.

I tried the simon and garfunkel rub over the weekend. Nice, but I wasn't crazy about it. It was good to have something going for a couple of hours and get an opportunity to practice keeping temps steady.

I failed miserably to keep temps steady, but learnt a lot so I think it was a success.

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Where are you guys getting your meat from now, was using Sherwoods up the North as I found their meat excellent amd had all the cuts I use. But they are not delivering down south anymore

Local butchers but it’s not great. Would to know a place where I could source some decent cuts, maybe even have it delivered.

thejaguar wrote: »
    I tried the simon and garfunkel rub over the weekend. Nice, but I wasn't crazy about it. It was good to have something going for a couple of hours and get an opportunity to practice keeping temps steady.

I failed miserably to keep temps steady, but learnt a lot so I think it was a success.

Tried simon and garfunkle on grilled rabbit yesterday. It was quite nice. Maybe too much oregano

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Local butchers but it’s not great. Would to know a place where I could source some decent cuts, maybe even have it delivered.

James Whelan's and Higgins' both deliver nationwide and are very highly regarded. You could check Pallas Foods too.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fredinho

Leftwaffe wrote: »

Where are you based and people might now some local people.
    James Whelan's and Higgins' both deliver nationwide and are very highly regarded. You could check Pallas Foods too.

These would both be at the higher price point of the market. Great produce and I've used both but you'll pay for their name.

• Advertisement

Fredinho wrote: »
    Where are you based and people might now some local people.

Based in Laois/Midlands area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Iguarantee wrote: »

Someone needs to buy that guy a bottle of Fairy.

The Nal wrote: »

Blasphemy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I don't get the obsession with cleaning BBQs I see here.

You light and fire inside it, it's sterilized.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    I don't get the obsession with cleaning BBQs I see here.

You light and fire inside it, it's sterilized.

No obsession but I clean it when there are big chunks of weeks/months old dirt in and on it. I dont want them flaking away as dust and stuff during the cook and landing on my food. Give it a gentle wipe FFS.

The Smokey mountains look great in the garden in the sun all clean and shiny on the outside with smoke gently billowing out. His smoker looks like he pulled it out of a dump.
    Blasphemy

The only blasphemy here is allowing a BBQ like that to rust and degrade to that standard.

No obsession but I clean it when there are big chunks of weeks/months old dirt in and on it. I dont want them flaking away as dust and stuff during the cook and landing on my food. Give it a gentle wipe FFS.

The Smokey mountains look great in the garden in the sun all clean and shiny on the outside with smoke gently billowing out. His smoker looks like he pulled it out of a dump.

The only blasphemy here is allowing a BBQ like that to rust and degrade to that standard.

Those smokers are at least 10 years old and get a lot heavier use than we’ll ever give one.

they/them/theirs

Those smokers are at least 10 years old and get a lot heavier use than we’ll ever give one.

True, just doesn't look like something I'd want to eat food from.

Anyway to more positive things, if we get the weather Ill be getting the (clean! :)) Smokey Mountain on this Saturday. Keep it simple I reckon, ribs with a nice BBQ sauce and wings with the rest of the reaper sauce I have in the fridge.

True, just doesn't look like something I'd want to eat food from.

Anyway to more positive things, if we get the weather Ill be getting the (clean! :)) Smokey Mountain on this Saturday. Keep it simple I reckon, ribs with a nice BBQ sauce and wings with the rest of the reaper sauce I have in the fridge.

I'm pretty sure I've eaten his food at a festival in Az. There were dozens of bbq stalls and most of the Qs weren't in much better shape than than.

they/them/theirs

It's still in an awful state. You wouldn't say a filthy car is fine because it doesn't affect how it drives and the owner drives a lot. That said I don't really clean the inside of my barbecue except for scraping the hot grills before and after use with a wire brush, the fire looks after the rest. I do like to keep dirt and rust off the outside though.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

https://higginsbutchers.ie/shop/beef/creekstone-prime-packer-brisket/

Anyone willing to shell out 135 euro for Usda prime packer brisket??

Because you now can ; )

• Advertisement

https://higginsbutchers.ie/shop/beef/creekstone-prime-packer-brisket/

Anyone willing to shell out 135 euro for Usda prime packer brisket??

Because you now can ; )

Out of stock. Was looking at proper steaks for this Friday (father’s day in Spain). Got a prime tomahawk. https://higginsbutchers.ie/shop/beef/creekstone-prime-tomahawk/

Out of stock. Was looking at proper steaks for this Friday (father’s day in Spain). Got a prime tomahawk. https://higginsbutchers.ie/shop/beef/creekstone-prime-tomahawk/

Its the first butchers ive seen doing USDA imported brisket, thats a great indicator of how the bbq scene is growing here!

Would love to see those tomahawks once done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Its the first butchers ive seen doing USDA imported brisket, thats a great indicator of how the bbq scene is growing here!

Would love to see those tomahawks once done :)

The price is a disgrace but hopefully it's the start of being able to source a full packer brisket in Ireland.

Sharwood foods was a great option pre-Brexit.

The price is a disgrace but hopefully it's the start of being able to source a full packer brisket in Ireland.

It really is, especially for a bloke like me who still hasn't mastered a brisket yet :D

My goal this year, although with a cheaper more economically viable equivalent

I’d much rather an Irish brisket than a US one. Having lived in the US I can tell you Irish beef is 10 times better than the US equivalent.

they/them/theirs

I’d much rather an Irish brisket than a US one. Having lived in the US I can tell you Irish beef is 10 times better than the US equivalent.

This. I can't get my head around paying a huge premium for imported US beef, packer cut or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭Suckler

This. I can't get my head around paying a huge premium for imported US beef, packer cut or not.

Both spot on.

There is a user on boards here called Jack Burtan and he owns a farm & butchers in Waterford.
    He will get you any beef cut you want !

There is a user on boards here called Jack Burtan and he owns a farm & butchers in Waterford.
    He will get you any beef cut you want !

Same Jack Burton from A&R?

• Advertisement

Same Jack Burton from A&R?

The very one.
    Sound man

Advertisement