Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

The very one.
    Sound man

Wouldn't mind trying!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

The very one.
    Sound man

Cool will bang him a text see if its something he's interested in

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Brian? wrote: »
    I’d much rather an Irish brisket than a US one. Having lived in the US I can tell you Irish beef is 10 times better than the US equivalent.

I agree completely. More speaking about in relation to frustration of trying to source full briskets from Irish butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Had a brisket off http://www.thepremiumbutcher.ie/ last year which was top notch

It nearly worked out too : )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Ive been using R&j meats in ashbourne for the past while very obliging and usually has brisket or beef ribs in stock other good bbq cuts aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Out of stock. Was looking at proper steaks for this Friday (father’s day in Spain). Got a prime tomahawk. https://higginsbutchers.ie/shop/beef/creekstone-prime-tomahawk/

Ridiculous price

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ive been using R&j meats in ashbourne for the past while very obliging and usually has brisket or beef ribs in stock other good bbq cuts aswell.

This appears to be what there offer?

https://thepremiumbutcher.ie/product/beef-brisket-3kg/

Used to order from here before Brexit - ironically, they source so much of their meat from Ireland:

https://www.sherwoodfoods.co.uk/shop/beef/beef-packer-brisket/

Want something with the flat and point still attached and in the region of 7kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Kildare Farm Foods have tomahawk steaks on special offer atm. €15
    They're located just outside Kildare town. Not sure if they post.
    Can be found on FB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

Yeah just on brisket - people are suggesting places that have brisket but the OP asked about packer brisket which is the US cut and is very rare if even available at all in Ireland. It's the cut from all of the main bbq heads on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

budgemook wrote: »
    Yeah just on brisket - people are suggesting places that have brisket but the OP asked about packer brisket which is the US cut and is very rare if even available at all in Ireland. It's the cut from all of the main bbq heads on youtube.

Just buy a bigger bit of brisket then and cut it yourself?

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    Just buy a bigger bit of brisket then and cut it yourself?

Would that work?

TBH I rarely get brisket anyways, I am more of a short rib man :)

Would that work?

Yeah it just a way of cutting it leaving the flat and the point together. A lot of irish butchers will just offer you the flat part of the flat but if you call ahead theyll do it for you. Or if its a big butchers ask what day they get their beef delivered and go in that day before they start dicing it up and rolling it etc.
    TBH I rarely get brisket anyways, I am more of a short rib man :)

Me too! Although all this brisket talk....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Any suggestions for roasting a chicken on a Weber kettle? I can never seem to get the skin crispy. Maybe my method is wrong. I had used indirect heat until it was done last Summer, can't remember what temperature but low. Just felt it was a little too moist for my liking.

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Any suggestions for roasting a chicken on a Weber kettle? I can never seem to get the skin crispy. Maybe my method is wrong. I had used indirect heat until it was done last Summer, can't remember what temperature but low. Just felt it was a little too moist for my liking.

If its a low temp its impossible on its own. I've let it rest for 30 mins and then popped it under the grill (in the kitchen) at the highest temp for 5 mins. Crisped up the skin a good bit and didn't dry the meat out. Tried a blow torch once too but it just burned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Stand the chicken up in the middle
    Put charcoal all around the edges

I cook about 200 until done takes about 1.5 hours. But I confirm with food thermometer about 75oC in breast and between leg and breast

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

deckie27 wrote: »
    Stand the chicken up in the middle
    Put charcoal all around the edges

I cook about 200 until done takes about 1.5 hours. But I confirm with food thermometer about 75oC in breast and between leg and breast

Nice method! For me, indirect with 350 Fahrenheit does it. It’s low and slow but not as low as for smoking

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The flesh was too moist? Or the skin?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Cool will bang him a text see if its something he's interested in

Delete some of you PMs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Delete some of you PMs

Will do

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

If you give it a good spray of olive oil about 15 mins before it's done the skin should crisp up nicely. Anytime I roast a chicken in my slow cooker I'd always stick it in the oven when the roast potatoes are cooking and then let the chicken rest for 15 mins.

• Advertisement

My checkin skin comes out crispy but loses that crispiness as it rests making me often wonder why I try get it crispy in the first place :pac:

My checkin skin comes out crispy but loses that crispiness as it rests making me often wonder why I try get it crispy in the first place :pac:

Do you cover it when it’s resting?

they/them/theirs

Do you cover it when it’s resting?

When I cover it I'd expect to lose crispiness for sure. But even without covering it I find it does too, and while cooking it does look very crisp.

Been a while since I've done a chicken on the bbq - that's Sunday sorted I suppose.

When I cover it I'd expect to lose crispiness for sure. But even without covering it I find it does too, and while cooking it does look very crisp.

Been a while since I've done a chicken on the bbq - that's Sunday sorted I suppose.

I find pushing my had between the skin and the breast to separate them really helps.

they/them/theirs

I find pushing my had between the skin and the breast to separate them really helps.

Do you mean before or after cooking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

hand or head?? :D

tonc76 wrote: »
    hand or head?? :D

Or "lad"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

I bought an onlyfire rotisserie yesterday :cool:

It's hard to justify the cost when you consider that I can already cook a delicious bbq chicken, so I won't bother trying. I'm just looking forward to throwing a chicken on it at the weekend if the weather is half decent!

Any advice on using one from anyone here with one? I imagine it's fairly straightforward?

Do you mean before or after cooking?

Before cooking. You can shove some herb butter under the skin if you want. But I'm not a huge of that.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Before cooking. You can shove some herb butter under the skin if you want. But I'm not a huge of that.

I have done that in the past alright and always do turkey like that. Turkey skin doesn't be crispy either but that would always be covered in foil when resting.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like that fatty skin texture when it's cooked at a low heat or in a stew or something but the crispiness that is there when it comes out of the oven seems to go away before it gets on to the plate.

Advertisement