Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

budgemook wrote: »
    I have done that in the past alright and always do turkey like that. Turkey skin doesn't be crispy either but that would always be covered in foil when resting.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like that fatty skin texture when it's cooked at a low heat or in a stew or something but the crispiness that is there when it comes out of the oven seems to go away before it gets on to the plate.

Yeah, I get you. Crispy skin can be a nightmare to get right.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ned01

I have done that in the past alright and always do turkey like that. Turkey skin doesn't be crispy either but that would always be covered in foil when resting.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like that fatty skin texture when it's cooked at a low heat or in a stew or something but the crispiness that is there when it comes out of the oven seems to go away before it gets on to the plate.

The trick is to pick all the skin off and eat it the minute it comes out of the oven. Problem solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't overly bother resting chicken. I have a tray with the can and do beer can chicken almost always on the bbq. I find it the best method for moist chicken and crispy skin, just make sure you pick a good sized free range chicken. You can do it just with beer can but you loose the juices that drip out.

This is very good recipe (I often don't bother smoking).
    https://www.weber.com/US/en/recipes/poultry/smoked-beer-can-chicken/weber-3210.html

I like this one too.
    https://donalskehan.com/recipes/beer-can-chicken-with-nam-jim-sauce/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭obi604

Can anyone recommend tongs for a BBQ - at a reasonable price?

Or a 3 piece set even.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

obi604 wrote: »

Or a 3 piece set even.

IKEA. Their knives are great too.

• Advertisement

Or a 3 piece set even.

What’s a reasonable price?

I have these, seems like a good price to me. They’re Weber and all metal so they’ll last.

https://www.weber.com/NL/nl/accessoires/bereiden/barbecuetools/8302.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoaiM48O-7wIVV-h3Ch0xrwPBEAQYAiABEgJyEvD_BwE

Don’t get anything with plastic handles, you’ll melt them sooner or later.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    What’s a reasonable price?

I have these, seems like a good price to me. They’re Weber and all metal so they’ll last.

https://www.weber.com/NL/nl/accessoires/bereiden/barbecuetools/8302.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoaiM48O-7wIVV-h3Ch0xrwPBEAQYAiABEgJyEvD_BwE

Don’t get anything with plastic handles, you’ll melt them sooner or later.

About 20 quid

Is all metal better than ones with the silicone at the base?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

About 20 quid

I prefer the all metal ones. I got a pair of the Weber ones and was able to lift a pork shoulder with them today.

Had loads of cheap ones before and no comparison IMO. Cheaper ones would bend when lifting any thing heavy. Same with the silicone ended ones.

These are the ones I have. Weber Premium Tongs https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005LR0EX0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_DJ9X317ADNBMTZG8WB2S?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

heroics wrote: »
    I prefer the all metal ones. I got a pair of the Weber ones and was able to lift a pork shoulder with them today.

Had loads of cheap ones before and no comparison IMO. Cheaper ones would bend when lifting any thing heavy. Same with the silicone ended ones.

These are the ones I have. Weber Premium Tongs https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005LR0EX0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_DJ9X317ADNBMTZG8WB2S?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Nice one. Thanks a million.

About 20 quid

All metal means nothing to melt. So yes, much better.
    I’ve never owned bbq tools with silicone handles, just plastic. Which I melted.

Aside from the melting issue, those Weber thongs are surprisingly strong. The metal is folded for strength.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Hi guys,

Looking to purchase a new BBq soon, nothing too big and something that can last 3-4 years when kept outside and covered (not got a shed, just yet!). Not looking to spend mad money, prob about 250-300e. How do the ones in Home store & more fair? Any other suggestions welcome. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Johann. wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Looking to purchase a new BBq soon, nothing too big and something that can last 3-4 years when kept outside and covered (not got a shed, just yet!). Not looking to spend mad money, prob about 250-300e. How do the ones in Home store & more fair? Any other suggestions welcome. :)

Weber classic kettle should do you at that price and will last you longer then 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Weber kettle is the business and will certainly last you more than 4 years! I have mine a long time and have the rotisserie, slow n sear and cast iron grate. The problem is I’d love a kamado joe.. but every time I cook on the kettle I realise how excellent it is. I wish there was something wrong so I could justify a €2.5k kamado to the missus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

Weber kettle is the business and will certainly last you more than 4 years! I have mine a long time and have the rotisserie, slow n sear and cast iron grate. The problem is I’d love a kamado joe.. but every time I cook on the kettle I realise how excellent it is. I wish there was something wrong so I could justify a €2.5k kamado to the missus!!

I have the exact same problem. I'd love a Joe, but then I do some ribs or a leg of lamb on the kettle and just can't justify it.

I got the rotisserie and tried her out today with a chicken. It's fantastic. Can't wait to do a shwarma or something on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Hi Guys.i'm not too sure if i'm in the correct place for this.

Debating between getting the webber pizza stone or gas Ooni pizza grill.

Am i wasting €60 on the stone or should i hold off a little longer and get the Ooni. Just bought a Master Touch Premium after Christmas...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

I'd wait and save for an Ooni. I used a stone a few times on webber kettle before getting an Ooni Karu. It's better than the regular oven but there's no comparison to the Ooni.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Knightofcydonia

I'd also suggest the Ooni... No comparison to a pizza stone on the BBQ. Have mine just over a year now and it gets plenty of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah I have a pizza stone with a Weber gas bbq and as per above - it's a lot better than the plain oven but still doesn't get hot enough to match the results I see people get with Oonis.

Best pizza results I got was to start on a hot good quality pan on the hob and finish under the oven grill. I don't have ooni which looks decent but any bbq or oven that doesn't retain loads of heat on top is rubbish. We tried with Weber and with cheap outdoor pizza oven, they are all too much hassle and little effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

With the kamado joe I can get similar temperature's to Ooni (I think) but the main problem is the heat comes from the bottom so the stone gets too hot compared to the heat coming from above which can lead to a burnt base before the top is cooked. I only got back to BBQ pizza last week after a winter of doing them in the oven and used oil in the dough so it was especially bad - I had forgotten about not using oil at high temps.

The main tips I have found, but not yet tried out:

1. If you want to go over 260c then don't put any oil or sugar in the dough and make sure the dough is good and thin. I'll be trying without oil this weekend.
    2. Get the stone as close to the dome as possible so there is a more even distribution of heat. I bought the kamado joe grill expander the other day which will raise my stone up a few inches.

So I'm excited to see if things improve this weekend. An Ooni is obviously better, it is specifically for pizza after all, but I reckon with some practice and messing around I can get pretty close with the KJ.

• Advertisement

elvisn wrote: »

My opinion is either get something with source of heat from the top or don't bother. Traditionally pizza is made in clay ovens because clay retains and radiates heat so well and you get pizza that is crusty on the bottom and on top. I use Weber a lot, it's great for grilling but it does not retain heat well enough for pizza.

This is great method:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/great-pizza-at-home-this-frying-pan-recipe-will-blow-you-away-1.4384866

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

With the kamado joe I can get similar temperature's to Ooni (I think) but the main problem is the heat comes from the bottom so the stone gets too hot compared to the heat coming from above which can lead to a burnt base before the top is cooked. I only got back to BBQ pizza last week after a winter of doing them in the oven and used oil in the dough so it was especially bad - I had forgotten about not using oil at high temps.

The main tips I have found, but not yet tried out:

1. If you want to go over 260c then don't put any oil or sugar in the dough and make sure the dough is good and thin. I'll be trying without oil this weekend.
    2. Get the stone as close to the dome as possible so there is a more even distribution of heat. I bought the kamado joe grill expander the other day which will raise my stone up a few inches.

So I'm excited to see if things improve this weekend. An Ooni is obviously better, it is specifically for pizza after all, but I reckon with some practice and messing around I can get pretty close with the KJ.

putting the stone on the grill expander helps a lot. i presume you have the deflectors in as well, i tend to put the deflectors in half way up, then teh externder, then the stone, and i've no issues with the base burning.

KJ done right is as good as the OONI. the key thing is getting the temp right. once that is done it's minor differences. my 6 year old and 10 year old (cheese and pepperoni pizzas) and my wfie ( a much more varied palette) all swear by the KJ's pizzas, even against our local restaurant with a proper pizza oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

mossym wrote: »
    putting the stone on the grill expander helps a lot. i presume you have the deflectors in as well, i tend to put the deflectors in half way up, then teh externder, then the stone, and i've no issues with the base burning.

KJ done right is as good as the OONI. the key thing is getting the temp right. once that is done it's minor differences. my 6 year old and 10 year old (cheese and pepperoni pizzas) and my wfie ( a much more varied palette) all swear by the KJ's pizzas, even against our local restaurant with a proper pizza oven.

Yeah deflectors are in. Do you put oil or sugar in your base? Honestly I think that was a big part of the problem rather than not having the grill expander. But yeah, I think the grill expander will make a difference for sure.

meeeeh wrote: »
    My opinion is either get something with source of heat from the top or don't bother. Traditionally pizza is made in clay ovens because clay retains and radiates heat so well and you get pizza that is crusty on the bottom and on top. I use Weber a lot, it's great for grilling but it does not retain heat well enough for pizza.

This is great method:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/great-pizza-at-home-this-frying-pan-recipe-will-blow-you-away-1.4384866

I do pizza on my Weber gas grill and and it comes out perfect.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Just on a Weber Kettle bbq...am looking for one for doing some proper bbqing (going to buy a gas bbq as well for doing more family bbqs burgers/sausages etc)

The 57cm MasterTouch is around 100e more expensive than the standard OneTouch...just curious if its worth the extra money?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Kamikaze Kamado

I never put oil or sugar in my pizza dough, just water/yeast/00 tipo flour/salt. I use my kamado with deflectors and pizza stone but struggle to get any leoparding - it's just because there's not enough radiant heat from the dome.

For thin based Neapolitan style pizza make sure to get your kamado/bbq/oven as hot as you can...pizza will be cooked in minutes.

I was recently looking at the wood/charcoal Ooni pizza ovens but have decided not to buy one...it looks like you've to keep loading it up with wood/charcoal constantly.

Brian? wrote: »
    I do pizza on my Weber gas grill and and it comes out perfect.

I think they are too wet on the top when using sliced balls of mozzarella (I refuse to use that grated mush sold as mozzarella) and top dough is not as crispy as I want it to be. Anyway we have a gas bbq but I haven't used that one for at least two years and never tried to do pizza on it. I can make half decent pizza in outdoor pizza oven but I prefer the one made with hob/grill combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I never put oil or sugar in my pizza dough, just water/yeast/00 tipo flour/salt. I use my kamado with deflectors and pizza stone but struggle to get any leoparding - it's just because there's not enough radiant heat from the dome.

For thin based Neapolitan style pizza make sure to get your kamado/bbq/oven as hot as you can...pizza will be cooked in minutes.

I was recently looking at the wood/charcoal Ooni pizza ovens but have decided not to buy one...it looks like you've to keep loading it up with wood/charcoal constantly.

I recently got an Ooni Fyra - The pellet version.

Get the thing going with a half load of pellets and then 1 Top up is more than enough to cook 4 Pizzas. Each Pizza takes about 90s to 2 minutes.

Full hopper of Pellets lasts about 30 minutes

Still learning , especially with the dough , but running the oven is very simple.

Advertisement