Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

budgemook wrote: »
    Yeah deflectors are in. Do you put oil or sugar in your base? Honestly I think that was a big part of the problem rather than not having the grill expander. But yeah, I think the grill expander will make a difference for sure.

no oil, no sugar. bases directly onto the stone. however it's not home made bases, we use the pizza da piero bases so that probably makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I was recently looking at the wood/charcoal Ooni pizza ovens but have decided not to buy one...it looks like you've to keep loading it up with wood/charcoal constantly.

Only a scoop once in a while. For 4 x 12" pizzas you would have to throw in an extra scoop or two. 10 seconds work.

I've tried cooking pizza every way possible for years and the Ooni is the only thing that works properly. Better than most takeaways. And not Dominos et al. I mean the good ones. And for cents aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

The del piero bases are great and all, but making the dough yourself makes a better pizza for sure. The rise on the crust and all that.

I've seen pizza bases in Lidl which are like the pastry you can get. Haven't tried them myself but I'd imagine they have oil and/or sugar so probably not suitable for very high temperature.

Anyway, I have a big lump of dough made here now ready for the bbq tomorrow with the new equipment. We'll see!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Kamikaze Kamado

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I recently got an Ooni Fyra - The pellet version.

Get the thing going with a half load of pellets and then 1 Top up is more than enough to cook 4 Pizzas. Each Pizza takes about 90s to 2 minutes.

Full hopper of Pellets lasts about 30 minutes

Still learning , especially with the dough , but running the oven is very simple.

That's very economical altogether. I may have to revisit buying one so! Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭john jameson

First time smoking a brisket !!
    It looks to be comming along ok it's getting a nice colour!!
    I'm using charcoal not nuggets as I have bags of the stuff to keep me grilling over the summer ..
    So far so good il post picture of results later!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

First time smoking a brisket !!
    It looks to be comming along ok it's getting a nice colour!!
    I'm using charcoal not nuggets as I have bags of the stuff to keep me grilling over the summer ..
    So far so good il post picture of results later!!

Supposed to be hard to get it right. This is in my “to do” list once my kamado arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Supposed to be hard to get it right. This is in my “to do†list once my kamado arrives

Its not hard at all really cook at 225f till internal temp of 150f wrap well in tinfoil till internal temp of 180f.
    Take it off and wrap in towels for an hour or two it will stay hot for approx four hours.

Im after doing a few in the past few months and they come out perfect all the time.

Its not hard at all really cook at 225f till internal temp of 150f wrap well in tinfoil till internal temp of 180f.
    Take it off and wrap in towels for an hour or two it will stay hot for approx four hours.

Im after doing a few in the past few months and they come out perfect all the time.
    Yep if not gone in to this with any special technique or equipment!!
    57 weber grill ... good charcoal..pan of water and a brisket!! Oh and plenty of time .....

Started this project around half 8 this morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

I thought it needed 190-200, but then again, I haven’t cooked any!

• Advertisement

I thought it needed 190-200, but then again, I haven’t cooked any!

Keep her between 225f -250f as good as ya can with plenty of smoke at start!! That's what iv done .. mine took a bit of minding as I'm not using the nuggets ..just charcoal wood !! But iv nothing else on today!! And this will be a late evening snack. Iv not wrapped it and I may not as the meat is climbing agen in temp after a long stall ..I'm going for a nice dark bark!!

Well I'm happy enough with that for a first time effort!!
    It passed the taste test with the kids so I'm happy !!

Cooked some pizzas with the new accessories (raised expander rack) and updated rough recipe (no oil or sugar) and very pleased with the results. No sign of a burnt base this time, it was lovely and crispy and I also got the best rise I've gotten on the crust. One thing though is the bbq didn't get as hot as last time, maxed at around 350c so the pizzas took around 3 - 4 mins. I am pretty sure it's because I had the heat deflectors at a lower setting so next time I'll try the deflectors up high with the pizza stone :)

Forgot to take photos!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Now way were the inclement conditions going to stop me 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Stolen unapologetically from YLYL. This pic belongs here! ;)

IMG-20210327-WA0000.jpghost picture online

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I had a go at some short ribs that I got in O'Mahony's in Coolock over the weekend.

My main aim was to practice maintaining temp for a long time. Which I generally managed to do. I kept the temp reasonably steady for 7 to 8 hours with one minor (major) blip when I had to go out unexpectedly for a couple of hours (temp dropped to 40C - I've no idea for how long)

However, I still ended up with frazzled up lumps of shoe leather. Which I definitely wasn't going for.

I have a feeling I was running the bbq too hot - about 120C or thereabouts. Also I never wrapped or spritzed or did anything during the cook. I just left them be throughout.

Any thoughts?

thejaguar wrote: »
    I had a go at some short ribs that I got in O'Mahony's in Coolock over the weekend.

My main aim was to practice maintaining temp for a long time. Which I generally managed to do. I kept the temp reasonably steady for 7 to 8 hours with one minor (major) blip when I had to go out unexpectedly for a couple of hours (temp dropped to 40C - I've no idea for how long)

However, I still ended up with frazzled up lumps of shoe leather. Which I definitely wasn't going for.

I have a feeling I was running the bbq too hot - about 120C or thereabouts. Also I never wrapped or spritzed or did anything during the cook. I just left them be throughout.

Any thoughts?

how did the internal temp look throughout?

EDIT - just looking at the pictures there, not seeing an internal temp probe - were you monitoring that?

Any thoughts?
    I'd still have a go at eating them lol ... the temp seemed ok ... 120c or just below is spot on!! Maybe they were on to long?? Il be looking at them after 2 -3 hours see how the look and feel .. only in my experience when I do racks of ribs they dont take all day to cook few hours and there grand..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Aldi in the UK had a kamado this week but I missed it.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/gardenline-kamado-ceramic-egg-bbq/p/710081460879600

I wonder if that means it will come up in the Irish one soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Any discounts on Weber Gas BBQs around?

My original Genesis 300 is about 14 years old and is rusting to bits, ill need to replace it for this season.

Where's the best place to buy?

In the charcoal thread!?

a5be8f0757ca7fee591327d8530afbba.gif

Nothing online but I was in Woodies Carrickmines a few weeks back and they were setting up their BBQ section and had lots of Webers. Gas, kettles, smokers.

For the sake of sanity. I've moved the post over to Gas.

The Gloomster!

• Advertisement

how did the internal temp look throughout?

EDIT - just looking at the pictures there, not seeing an internal temp probe - were you monitoring that?

Well no - I forgot bout that. I was a little too focused on keeping the grill temp right. I did remember right at the end, but by that point they were well shoe leathered :rolleyes:

I reckon, internal temp and slightly less cooking time might be the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Hi all,

What are your charcoal preferences, where do you buy, and in what quantities? I'm in east Meath. Been alternating between cheap stuff and Weber nuggets, need to up my game for this season.

Currently using a Weber classic kettle

plys wrote: »
    Hi all,

What are your charcoal preferences, where do you buy, and in what quantities? I'm in east Meath. Been alternating between cheap stuff and Weber nuggets, need to up my game for this season.

Currently using a Weber classic kettle
    I buy from "surefire" there up north I believe maybe I'm wrong and I buy the restaurant quality charcoal from them all the time I bought48kg and a bag of apple wood chips for around 90euro includes shipping!! I dont bother with nuggets

Well no - I forgot bout that. I was a little too focused on keeping the grill temp right. I did remember right at the end, but by that point they were well shoe leathered :rolleyes:

I reckon, internal temp and slightly less cooking time might be the answer.

Yeah internal temperature is your main guide to doneness. Time doesn't mean much when it comes to beef short ribs - I have seen some huge variations in time in my few years barbecuing. I'd say they were just cooked earlier than you expected and dried out from being on after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Any thoughts?

For the size of those 7-8 hours is probably a bit too long and they don't look overly meaty. Temp would be be ok if at 120 ant running away at times but you need to probe them aswell. Wrapping isnt essential for beef ribs it just helps beat the stall. Would recommend if you want a good meaty rack of beef rib is to go out to Higgins in Sutton next time and get them there

Thanks for all the advice.

I got those ribs for €4.99 - and some Tesco bags of charcoal for 60c. I decided that was an investment I could afford to lose if it went wrong.

I think the internal temp probe will help sort out the timing issues and hopefully improve the results next time around.

One question on that - where should I put a probe? Between the bones? In the meatiest part above the bones (I'm guessing this)?

I got those ribs for €4.99 - and some Tesco bags of charcoal for 60c. I decided that was an investment I could afford to lose if it went wrong.

I think the internal temp probe will help sort out the timing issues and hopefully improve the results next time around.

One question on that - where should I put a probe? Between the bones? In the meatiest part above the bones (I'm guessing this)?

Thickest part of the meat and away from the fat.

Cooked some pizzas with the new accessories (raised expander rack) and updated rough recipe (no oil or sugar) and very pleased with the results. No sign of a burnt base this time, it was lovely and crispy and I also got the best rise I've gotten on the crust. One thing though is the bbq didn't get as hot as last time, maxed at around 350c so the pizzas took around 3 - 4 mins. I am pretty sure it's because I had the heat deflectors at a lower setting so next time I'll try the deflectors up high with the pizza stone :)

Forgot to take photos!

What're you cooking the pizza on?

Temp probe all the way....stick it into the thickest part of the meat, preferably away from bone and fat as mentioned. I've cooked short ribs a few times and they take about 3hours...internal temp of 95 C gives good doneness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I put together my new Weber 5750 today...shes a beaut!

Ill want to try it out at the weekend, so will have to pick up some bits in a bricks & mortar (i.e woodies).

Where would best one to pick up some charcoal, chips etc?

Also, will probably put a few burgers to kick off but if I get to a butcher, would you recommend any nice (but easy-ish) for a beginner

Advertisement