Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

What're you cooking the pizza on?

Kamado Joe

LowOdour wrote: »
    I put together my new Weber 5750 today...shes a beaut!

Ill want to try it out at the weekend, so will have to pick up some bits in a bricks & mortar (i.e woodies).

Where would best one to pick up some charcoal, chips etc?

Also, will probably put a few burgers to kick off but if I get to a butcher, would you recommend any nice (but easy-ish) for a beginner

For low and slow I think pork belly is a great piece of meat to start with. Pretty forgiving on the temperature and doesn't take too long. And it's delicious of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Kamikaze Kamado

budgemook wrote: »
    Kamado Joe

I'd been finding it difficult to get my pizza stone hot enough despite running at 800 F ...I tried this the other day and it worked a treat: take out the cooking rack and place the grill grates directly onto the fire ring, then put the pizza stone onto them. Unconventional but it works.

I'd been finding it difficult to get my pizza stone hot enough despite running at 800 F ...I tried this the other day and it worked a treat: take out the cooking rack and place the grill grates directly onto the fire ring, then put the pizza stone onto them. Unconventional but it works.

Ha, I've had no problem with the stone getting hot, more the top so have been concentrating on getting the pizza stone closer to the dome rather than the fire :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Kamikaze Kamado

budgemook wrote: »
    Ha, I've had no problem with the stone getting hot, more the top so have been concentrating on getting the pizza stone closer to the dome rather than the fire :D

Ah gotcha! I think I'm gonna build a pizza oven this summer. The pizza off the kamado is perfect but for the lepoarding. Will try moving it up closer to the dome next time - as long as I've enough heat in the stone then it should work

• Advertisement

Ah gotcha! I think I'm gonna build a pizza oven this summer. The pizza off the kamado is perfect but for the lepoarding. Will try moving it up closer to the dome next time - as long as I've enough heat in the stone then it should work

Yeah I’ve really been enjoying the pizza’s for sure and I reckon next time I’ll get it hotter and I have it pretty much as high as it goes now so we’ll see how it turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Dusted off the Hibachi grill last night. Such an efficient way of cooking for a few people. Only used a handful of charcoal and was going for 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Anyone had any success doing pizza on the Weber kettle? Was thinking of investing in a stone, any advice on which one to buy? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Weber kettle/kamado etc are not good enough for pizza in my view. You need much higher temperatures and the flame is on the wrong side of the stone to get proper leopard spotting. I’ve only gotten proper results off the Ooni. I have a weber with stone and a friend of mine has a kamado, neither of which come close to the ooni even with the same dough recipe.

They’re fine if you just want some pizza. But if you’re going to the trouble of doing 24/48/72 hour doughs etc and looking for a real neapolitan pizza, you won’t get it off any bbq grill - in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭thereitisgone

32h155g.jpg?1

Spare ribs for tomorrows smoking
    could be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

32h155g.jpg?1

could be interesting

Looking good

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

32h155g.jpg?1

could be interesting

Where did you get them?

Finland
    Local farmers do a market delivery thing every two weeks, this farm has its own in house butchers so sometimes you can get a strange cut
    i only ordered normal spare ribs and got this
    Lets see, definitely interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Finland

Are they pork or reindeer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭LowOdour

@budgemook - thanks for the recommendation on the pork belly, going to pick one up over the weekend.

Out of curiosity, which would be the best supermarkets to get cuts off the shelf? Things like pork belly, pork shoulder, brisket etc. I don't want to fork out any big money on meat until I get some practice on charcoal grill. There are a few artisan butchers near enough...so they would be the holy grail when I'm confident enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

@budgemook - thanks for the recommendation on the pork belly, going to pick one up over the weekend.

Out of curiosity, which would be the best supermarkets to get cuts off the shelf? Things like pork belly, pork shoulder, brisket etc. I don't want to fork out any big money on meat until I get some practice on charcoal grill. There are a few artisan butchers near enough...so they would be the holy grail when I'm confident enough!

My local Polonez has a butcher counter that serves these cuts, and it is very reasonable. I have gotten pork neck and belly for definite there.

Tesco do pork belly sliced cheap enough. A pork shoulder in a butcher shouldn't be more than 6 or 7 quid. Brisket the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

The Nal wrote: »
    Tesco do pork belly sliced cheap enough. A pork shoulder in a butcher shouldn't be more than 6 or 7 quid. Brisket the same.

Where are you buying your meat ? 1972 ?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

oleras wrote: »

This is so true and not just of meat. But in relation to meat - all those cheap cuts are quite expensive now. When they were in the back and you had to ask for them they were cheap. Now they're quite popular, from talking to a butcher I was playing golf with - particularly because they're used in a lot of eastern European dishes and we have lots of eastern Europeans here. But also because the bbq scene has taken off.

When I was very young pork ribs used to be cheap as chips. By the time I was just regular young I remember my mum giving out about the price of them. Lamb gigot chops were a cheap option. Beef short ribs very cheap. Lamb shanks too. Now, the price of them all has shot up. What shocked me a while ago was the cost of oxtail. I thought it would be practically free, but was very expensive in the butchers. From talking to that butcher - he said oxtail flies out the door, that's why it's no longer cheap.

But perception takes a long time to change - it certainly lags behind actual prices. It's most obvious with property. I think back to the last time I rented a place and telling people what the prices were. Pretty much the universal advice I got was to hold out for someplace at least 25% cheaper and ideally nicer. Meanwhile I needed a place to live. Then I started looking to buy. People agreed some of the places looked nice. Would recommend not paying more than about €100k less than the current offer.

neris wrote: »
    Are they pork or reindeer?
    pork but never seen a cut like this before, even from same farm

• Advertisement

Supply and Demand and all that. It's not just BBQ, slow cooking has been a big thing again for years now. I remember about 6 years ago walking past FX Buckley's on Moore St. and they had a big sign up "Brisket, back in fashion!". Jamie Oliver, and presumably others, had cooked it on TV around the same time.

@LowOdour I have seen nice big pieces of pork belly in Lidl or Aldi, not sure which. But to be honest, you'd be a piece twice as big again of a regular butcher for about 14 quid and it would feed around 9 people.

Here's a recipe for pork belly I think I followed before - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyz9SKBHV-Q

in smoker now

a2iYWI1.jpg?1

After just over 2 hours in

Xq3tOrC.jpg

oleras wrote: »

Ha, sorry should've clarified, that's half a pork shoulder. Feeds a crowd though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Christened the new Weber kettle today. No meat in the house so had to raid my Ma's house.. options weren't much better there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Christened the new Weber kettle today. No meat in the house so had to raid my Ma's house.. options weren't much better there!

I hope you haven’t visitors!!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭john jameson

After just over 2 hours in

Xq3tOrC.jpg

Looks great

3A0HFwM.jpg

9Sk8fxg.jpg

Best so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh