Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭thereitisgone

Used a shop bought rub applied just before smoking, i know most say the night before.
    At the wrapping stage added what i had in the kitchen concoction of a apple bbq sauce and mixed it with apple juice to make it really runny
    Followed Aaron Franklins recipe
    He covers the ribs but also puts some in the foil wrap

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/how-to-smoke-pork-ribs-with-barbecue-pitmaster-aaron-franklin-smoked-pork-bbq-ribs-recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

For anyone looking for charcoal, SuperValu are doing 30L bags of Marienburg for €9.99 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Recently purchased a bono grande limited, was just wondering if people who have one could advise what's the max temp they've achieved.

Was doing pizza on it the other day got the dome up to 290 Celsius. Found that the base was done too quickly compared to the top.

I think either need the dome hotter or possibly more space between the pizza stone and the deflector plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

ChadHogan wrote: »
    Recently purchased a bono grande limited, was just wondering if people who have one could advise what's the max temp they've achieved.

Was doing pizza on it the other day got the dome up to 290 Celsius. Found that the base was done too quickly compared to the top.

I think either need the dome hotter or possibly more space between the pizza stone and the deflector plates.

Hi, do you have oil or sugar in your dough recipe? If so, remove it and you should see a big improvement.

I made pizza again today. I started the dough yesterday morning, left it to prove for 8 hours. I didn't knock it back after that, just formed the balls and left them in a lunchbox in the fridge for 24 hours. The pizza tasted great but the big difference was how easy the dough was to stretch - I was being quite rough with it and there were no tears at all. I hadn't realised that this was an advantage of doing dough that way.

Kamado refused to go above 375c again though with my adjusted set up. I'll try another configuration next time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Osborne wrote: »
    For anyone looking for charcoal, SuperValu are doing 30L bags of Marienburg for €9.99 at the moment.

Is that stuff any good do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

davegilly wrote: »
    Is that stuff any good do you know?

I use in regularly on the Kamado and find it fine. Some people say it burns too quick but I haven't found that. I think it's grand for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Osborne wrote: »
    I use in regularly on the Kamado and find it fine. Some people say it burns too quick but I haven't found that. I think it's grand for a tenner.

As matter of interest.. which charcoal doe you (or any Boardsie) recommend???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Masala wrote: »
    As matter of interest.. which charcoal doe you (or any Boardsie) recommend???

I've always used Weber and never had a problem with long cooks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

FixitFelix wrote: »
    I've always used Weber and never had a problem with long cooks

Bought a Charcoal BBQ over the winter... and gonna get it out of the box next week

As a matter of interest.... and I know Weber is good make - but what price is the Weber charcoal?? Does their name put a premium on the price ??

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I would have thought the kamado could go double that in temps?? And more!

What do you think of the bono limited? I’m between a grande and a grande limited as I don’t want to be stuck for space - if we are ever allowed to have a bbq party again...

• Advertisement

budgemook wrote: »
    Hi, do you have oil or sugar in your dough recipe? If so, remove it and you should see a big improvement.

I made pizza again today. I started the dough yesterday morning, left it to prove for 8 hours. I didn't knock it back after that, just formed the balls and left them in a lunchbox in the fridge for 24 hours. The pizza tasted great but the big difference was how easy the dough was to stretch - I was being quite rough with it and there were no tears at all. I hadn't realised that this was an advantage of doing dough that way.

Kamado refused to go above 375c again though with my adjusted set up. I'll try another configuration next time :)

Will give that recipe a try, I have both oil and sugar im my dough recipe.

Have been watching a few YouTube videos, and have seen kamado joes get up to 800F which I make out to be 420C

I would have thought the kamado could go double that in temps?? And more!

What do you think of the bono limited? I’m between a grande and a grande limited as I don’t want to be stuck for space - if we are ever allowed to have a bbq party again...

Have it about a month and am really enjoying it, at this point am concerned its a little too big. Not that I won't use the grill space, but just practically speaking from the amount of charcoal used.

For most purposes it heats up quite quickly. Was waiting a while for it to heat for the pizzas the other night.

Am still playing around with it. Bought a couple of bags of texas club charcoal this weekend and that seems to be better than what I had in my shed already. I also think replacing the lower grate with a charcoal basket might help get the temperature up higher.

Previously had a 57cm grill on a weber kettle, which was enough space for us. I think the grande is 55 maybe and the limited 59, if I had to buy again in the morning I'd maybe go for the small one, knowing that there is grill expanders available, but my opinion could change as I get to grips with mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭john jameson

My first beer can chicken !!
    Will definitely be doing it agen!!

Have it about a month and am really enjoying it, at this point am concerned its a little too big. Not that I won't use the grill space, but just practically speaking from the amount of charcoal used.

For most purposes it heats up quite quickly. Was waiting a while for it to heat for the pizzas the other night.

Am still playing around with it. Bought a couple of bags of texas club charcoal this weekend and that seems to be better than what I had in my shed already. I also think replacing the lower grate with a charcoal basket might help get the temperature up higher.

Previously had a 57cm grill on a weber kettle, which was enough space for us. I think the grande is 55 maybe and the limited 59, if I had to buy again in the morning I'd maybe go for the small one, knowing that there is grill expanders available, but my opinion could change as I get to grips with mine.

Nice one, thanks. I’m using a 57cm weber at the moment and don’t want to go any smaller than that, but I’m also thinking the limited might be too big as you say. Maybe the grande would be a good compromise!

My weber kettle easily gets over 500C so its surprising to read of others on here struggling to get kamado’s over 400. Is this a common issue? I’d use it a lot for searing steaks so I was hoping for really high temps (like what I see the KJ guys getting on youtube!)

Thanks again.

Will give that recipe a try, I have both oil and sugar im my dough recipe.

Have been watching a few YouTube videos, and have seen kamado joes get up to 800F which I make out to be 420C

Yeah that made a big difference for me. With the heat coming from below the stone gets too hot compared to the dome so you have to leave out the sugar and oil.

I’ve had my bbq hit over 400 a few times, it’s just with my latest pizza setup I don’t seem to be able to hit it. I have one more trick up my sleeve though.

BTW - maybe look into calibrating your thermometer. Maybe it’s higher temp but the thermometer is giving a bad reading. You just need to take it out and put it in boiling water and checking that it’s 100. I had to do this before to get it right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Kamikaze Kamado

I've a Kamado Bono Grande and a Bono Picnic. I use the grande for pizza a lot of the time for bigger cooks, like pizza, and the Picnic for smaller cooks, like a small chicken. It's better economy on the charcoal to use the smaller one as it save me using a full basket in the Grande.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Kamikaze Kamado

I've a bono grande and a Picnic. I use the grande for making pizza and I find it great but for the leoparding. Because there's not enough radiant heat reaching the crust you barely get any.

I'd recommend buying a infrared thermometer to take the temperature of the pizza stone instead of relying on the built in thermometer. Measuring using the infrared thermometer, my pizza stone peaked at 420 C while the built in thermometer read 350 C. The pizza cooks in a couple of mins so you really have to keep checking the base to make sure you don't burn it.

Link to the infrared thermometer: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075NJFKXQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Easter Lamb on the rotisserie

As you can see my chimney starter has finally given up the ghost, she served me well

Beer of the day was Beavertown blood orange IPA

Such a cracking day!

LUgsjOz.jpg

eCNUGA5.jpg

Zle5BoN.jpeg

J7tERAU.jpeg

0eBa4NC.jpeg

R3xYvht.jpg

BzHx4pp.jpeg

F8QKmRx.jpg

zs7ki0V.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I got myself a Weber 5750, it was the perfect choice as far as I could see, a few users here have them, any specific tips or tricks anyone has ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

My local garden centre is doing Char Broil brand bbqs.

Was in a rush and couldn’t see any prices but their 57cm look like a master touch on steroids. Seriously beefy build (pardon the pun) but couldn’t see a cost comparison.

https://youtu.be/dSLjiJ4B8XQ

Anyone have experience with this brand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

Hi, had a look and couldn’t find an answer to this. Is the price difference between the Kamado joe classic And classic 2 worth it, approx €500 in difference price wise, any thoughts? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Was in a rush and couldn’t see any prices but their 57cm look like a master touch on steroids. Seriously beefy build (pardon the pun) but couldn’t see a cost comparison.

I saw those in johnstown garden centre, they appear to be much thicker steel, seems to just take the mantra that ‘heavier is better’ but going forward im not sure how parts or warranty would be handled , I decided on the weber in the end as the char broil was the same price but I didnt feel was as good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I had one of their gas grills for 6 years of extremely heavy use, would definitely buy again. Bit you're not getting Weber quality

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I’m really tempted to order one of these today, but won’t have it until June anyway.

Is there any chance at all you could post a pic of the grande limited?? I still can’t decide if its too big or if I should get the grande.

I like the Kamado Joe Big Joe having seen one in the flesh. But I’m buying the Bono completely blind..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I got myself a Weber 5750, it was the perfect choice as far as I could see, a few users here have them, any specific tips or tricks anyone has ?

If its the one with the hinged lid, you may need to do a hack on the springs to get it to close properly.

I have one and its a great piece of kit.

Couple of things -
    1. Use decent charcoal/lumpwood - or at least a mix of some good stuff with some of the cheaper stuff. The best stuff is in a blue 12kg bag. Corrigans in Drumcondra (a butchers) have it for €20. The Weber briquettes are good for long cooks
    charcoal-bags-square-720x.jpg

2. Buy a starter chimney. Invaluable. €5 in tesco.

3. Invest in a simple thermometer/temp. probe - its invaluable. I have this one, it even bluetooths to my phone and comes with a clip to attach to inside of bbq. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Bluetooth-Thermometer-Temperature-bluetooth/dp/B06WGMDSBL

4. Start slowly - don't attempt a 10 hour brisket in your first week. Practice makes perfect. Always good to note how the bbq decreases in temp, best way to actually do this is to do a normal bbq (say burgers, sausages etc.) and then afterwards, just keep an eye on the temperature (allayed with your vent settings) to give you an idea of how it decreases. You can get 3/4 hours of good temps out of a basic chimney load of fuel (no snake method etc.).

5. Be careful of wood chunks and using them too much. The smoke can be very strong from even two pieces of something like hickory. Can overpower everything.

I've just realised that none of the above relate to the 5750 :o - but they all relate to it too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

redved wrote: »
    Hi, had a look and couldn’t find an answer to this. Is the price difference between the Kamado joe classic And classic 2 worth it, approx €500 in difference price wise, any thoughts? Thanks

You're in the wrong thread, I'm afraid. The Ceramic BBQ/Grilling thread is the one you want :)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058086372

You're in the wrong thread, I'm afraid. The Ceramic BBQ/Grilling thread is the one you want :)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058086372

I am pretty sure that those ceramic bbq's take charcoal.

From previous research I came to the conclusion that the KJ2 was not worth the extra money. That said, I already had a KJ1 at that stage so my views may have been skewed by that.

Can you actually get a KJ1 at the moment? Thought they were out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

Brian? wrote: »
    I had one of their gas grills for 6 years of extremely heavy use, would definitely buy again. Bit you're not getting Weber quality

That's interesting. What is the actual difference on a kettle bbq between weber quality and the likes of the char broil one? I remember seeing reviews of it and it seemed excellent. Basically a high quality kettle bbq. But what extra do you get for buying weber?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

budgemook wrote: »
    I am pretty sure that those ceramic bbq's take charcoal.

From previous research I came to the conclusion that the KJ2 was not worth the extra money. That said, I already had a KJ1 at that stage so my views may have been skewed by that.

Can you actually get a KJ1 at the moment? Thought they were out of stock.

No, it looks like they are on back order until early May. Think I’ll just go with the classic, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

redved wrote: »
    No, it looks like they are on back order until early May. Think I’ll just go with the classic, thanks

did you mean a KJ1 vs KJ2, or a KJ2 vs 3?

I didn't think you can get hte KJ1 any more, i don't think i'd buy the 2 over the 1

however, the upgraded stand, the shelves, the better top vent, the fuel basket, and most especially the sloroller on the KJ3 make it a worthy upgrade. the sloroller itself gets a huge amount of use in my KJ, and it't not something thatcan be added to the older units

Advertisement