Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Or you could foil the pork shoulder when you put the chicken on and smoke away. Or take it off the BBQ and finish it in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭BarryNumber1

The Nal wrote: »
    Or you could foil the pork shoulder when you put the chicken on and smoke away. Or take it off the BBQ and finish it in the oven.
    I've been doing that more recently for ribs. 2 hours smoking, about 2 hours in tin foil then in the oven. Allows for consistent temps as well which apparently helps. Final few mins back on the bbq glazing with a sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

From what I've been reading elsewhere 3-2-1 ribs are done with the snake method at around 110C for the 6 hours. I suppose I could add the thighs in when foiling the ribs. If they're done too early I can wrap em in tin foil and warm back up for the last 15 minutes of the ribs. Or even better, warm them back up when charring veggies and crisp up the skin with the high heat too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Cork Boy wrote: »
    From what I've been reading elsewhere 3-2-1 ribs are done with the snake method at around 110C for the 6 hours. I suppose I could add the thighs in when foiling the ribs. If they're done too early I can wrap em in tin foil and warm back up for the last 15 minutes of the ribs. Or even better, warm them back up when charring veggies and crisp up the skin with the high heat too.

Again, the thighs will be done in the time the ribs should rest before eating.

Don't plan to eat straight away, always leave resting time.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Again, the thighs will be done in the time the ribs should rest before eating.

Don't plan to eat straight away, always leave resting time.

Really? At 110C??

• Advertisement

Really? At 110C??

You wouldn't cook the chicken at that temp, you'd open the vents and run closer to 180. Especially for chicken thighs, low and slow is only wasting your time and giving you flabby skin.

Cook the thighs hot and fast, sear the skin at the end to crisp up.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

You wouldn't cook the chicken at that temp, you'd open the vents and run closer to 180. Especially for chicken thighs, low and slow is only wasting your time and giving you flabby skin.

Cook the thighs hot and fast, sear the skin at the end to crisp up.

100% this. your meat should be sitting for loads of time to let you get the grill up to temp and do the chicken. if it's not, then the hour and hours spent slow cooking aren't worth it. slow cook your pork, take it woff, wrap in tinfoil, couple of towels, then into a cooler and let it sit. I'm doing a large shoulder on the KJ over the weekend, if i'm eating the meat within 2 hours of it coming off the grill i'd be surprised. you have loads of time to cook the chicken how it is supposed to be cooked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

Yeah I've left big cuts of meat sitting there for hours and it's almost like the longer the better, within reason of course. It can be fairly hard to predict when big cuts of meat will be done so you are best to get it on early - if it's done early just come it warm and at least you won't have to take it off early wasting all your hard effort.

Foil, towels, cooler box, whatever else - it'll be fine.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll keep it simple for fist time and just do the 3-2-1 ribs and the chicken thighs quickly while the ribs rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Thanks everyone. I think I'll keep it simple for fist time and just do the 3-2-1 ribs and the chicken thighs quickly while the ribs rest.

You should have enough room for a whole chicken. Skin wont be crispy but the meat will be as good as it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

A couple of small racks smoked with beech and hickory

3A1kUhU.jpg

bVrkCnG.jpg

Ml5UIk7.jpg

fy20Zmg.jpeg

PrA5l92.jpeg

The Nal wrote: »
    You should have enough room for a whole chicken. Skin wont be crispy but the meat will be as good as it gets.

I actually prefer doing legs or thighs to a whole chicken.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

A couple of small racks smoked with beech and hickory

Nice one. - Where did you get the rib candy? I can’t find that anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

God, ribs have to be the thing you crave most when you see them!

Obviously I know Franks but what are the other 2 things there?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bamayang

After beer-can chicken last week, tried spatchcock this week. Even easier cook and was even nicer to eat. Really nice tenderness and lovely flavour on the skin.
    Very little waste also.

996ws3Z.jpg

Ra0keNg.jpg

QdRa05v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

bamayang wrote: »
    After beer-can chicken last week, tried spatchcock this week. Even easier cook and was even nicer to eat. Really nice tenderness and lovely flavour on the skin.
    Very little waste also.

Looks Class,

What was the rub?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

I actually prefer doing legs or thighs to a whole chicken.

I think thighs are overall the best. Little effort and large reward!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bamayang

Looks Class,

What was the rub?

Main bits were Salt, pepper, paprika, brown sugar, and a then a very small amount of chilli, onion salt, garlic granules.
    I think it was in Rodney Scott’s bbq book, got it a few months back after watching his Netflix documentary.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,098 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Few bits on the Joe today.

attachment.php?attachmentid=551982&d=1619884297[\img]

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,098 ✭✭✭✭beertons

And for round 2, lamb kebabs.

attachment.php?attachmentid=551983&d=1619884410[\img]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

First time smoking beef chuck roast on WSM. Rubbed with A+O Dirty Cow,5 hrs with oak and regular spritzing with beef stock.4 hrs wrapped in foil with beer+beef stock.Off smoker for 1hr and pulled very easily. Served with flour tortillas,stir fried peppers,guac,salsa,sour cream and reduced the braising stock for a dip.Really happy with it,better value than beef cheeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Lads, hoping for a little advice. Looking to buy a largish gas BBQ & currently looking at the Omaha 5 Burner Gas Grill (€599) & Sahara 4 burner (€549) both in woodies. Would love to go for a webber but funds don't stretch that far.

Out of the two of them, which do you think is the better buy? I really like the Sahara one, but the Omaha one has the extra burner & seems like a sturdier piece of kit

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

The amount of americanisms on this thread is too damn high..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Damn right! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Kamikaze Kamado

Randomly came across Guinea Fowl in my local shop and roasted it on my kamado...worked out really nice! Used a shop bought rub which was savage....the Guinea fowl is small but it looks tiny on my big kamado :D

Roast-Guinea-Fowl-e1619871428517.jpg

It’s a bbq. An American cuisine.

Would you give out about italianisms in a thread about pasta?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Randomly came across Guinea Fowl in my local shop and roasted it on my kamado...worked out really nice! Used a shop bought rub which was savage....the Guinea fowl is small but it looks tiny on my big kamado :D

Roast-Guinea-Fowl-e1619871428517.jpg

I was about to say that’s either a very small chicken or an ENORMOUS kamado!!

Not a fan of guac myself...

On the other subject - I'm not mad about white meat so try to avoid whole chickens. And I think drumsticks and thighs are much better for eating with your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Hi lads. I’m planning to buy my first BBQ. I’ll be using it to grill sausages, burgers etc, but I’m really looking forward to getting into smoking ribs, brisket, fish etc.

What’s a good BBQ to start with?

Would something like this be able to do the above - https://www.woodies.ie/weber-47cm-compact-kettle-barbecue-black-841083

Or would I be better going with this - https://www.weber.com/IE/en/barbecues/charcoal-barbecues/master-touch-series/14701004.html?cgid=4#start=1

Both are an option.

Cheers!

• Advertisement

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Hi lads. I’m planning to buy my first BBQ. I’ll be using it to grill sausages, burgers etc, but I’m really looking forward to getting into smoking ribs, brisket, fish etc.

What’s a good BBQ to start with?

Would something like this be able to do the above - https://www.woodies.ie/weber-47cm-compact-kettle-barbecue-black-841083

Or would I be better going with this - https://www.weber.com/IE/en/barbecues/charcoal-barbecues/master-touch-series/14701004.html?cgid=4#start=1

Both are an option.

Cheers!

The first one is too small to be practical long term. It's fine for grilling burgers etc. but you’ll have a hard time smoking on it.

Go as big as you can afford.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement