Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭squonk

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Hi lads. I’m planning to buy my first BBQ. I’ll be using it to grill sausages, burgers etc, but I’m really looking forward to getting into smoking ribs, brisket, fish etc.

What’s a good BBQ to start with?

Would something like this be able to do the above - https://www.woodies.ie/weber-47cm-compact-kettle-barbecue-black-841083

Or would I be better going with this - https://www.weber.com/IE/en/barbecues/charcoal-barbecues/master-touch-series/14701004.html?cgid=4#start=1

Both are an option.

Cheers!

Th8nk the master touch will do all you need. I git the master touch premium which came with a charcoal ring and deflector. I haven’t progressed to smoking yet but I’ve seen plenty of videos with guys smoking on the master touch without any extra buts and pieces. I also like that that has a detached lid. The premium has a hinged lid so you end up moving the grate around to switch hot spots rather than just swirling the lid.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Hi lads. I’m planning to buy my first BBQ. I’ll be using it to grill sausages, burgers etc, but I’m really looking forward to getting into smoking ribs, brisket, fish etc.

Would something like this be able to do the above - https://www.woodies.ie/weber-47cm-compact-kettle-barbecue-black-841083

Or would I be better going with this - https://www.weber.com/IE/en/barbecues/charcoal-barbecues/master-touch-series/14701004.html?cgid=4#start=1

Both are an option.

Cheers!

The 47cm is a great grill i have one! i really only use it for steaks and grilling though so id go with the master touch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Both are an option.

Cheers!

Go with the master touch.

You'll end up buying it anyhow ( trust me ).

I got mine delivered Thursday from "The Orchard" for 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Thanks for all the input lads, master touch it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Go with the master touch.

You'll end up buying it anyhow ( trust me ).

I got mine delivered Thursday from "The Orchard" for 300.

I did exactly the same. Bought the 47cm... eventually bought the master touch.. and now i’ve a deposit on a kamado after 2 years of trying to convince her that its a good idea..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭squonk

I did exactly the same. Bought the 47cm... eventually bought the master touch.. and now i’ve a deposit on a kamado after 2 years of trying to convince her that its a good idea..

Out of interest, those of you who own a kamodo, what made you go for the kamodo over something like the Weber Summit kamodo style kettle? Both styles get rave reviews from what I’ve seen. My impression is that the Summit is a little more practical in terms of moving it around but what do you like about whatever one you have be it Weber or egg, or kamodo Joe or whatever else that swayed you?

squonk wrote: »
    Out of interest, those of you who own a kamodo, what made you go for the kamodo over something like the Weber Summit kamodo style kettle? Both styles get rave reviews from what I’ve seen. My impression is that the Summit is a little more practical in terms of moving it around but what do you like about whatever one you have be it Weber or egg, or kamodo Joe or whatever else that swayed you?

The one thing i conceded on in my trying to convince the wife is that the food will taste exactly the same - and it will. For me it’s simply a hobby and something i don’t mind spending a few quid on. So i bought a big heavy red kamado, because.. why not! The summit to me isn’t different enough to the kettle ive always used.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭lisij

Always dreamed of Weber, eventually got it. Loved everything about it. Smoked for 12+ hrs, cooked different meals. Recently decided to try with Kamado, got a small unit just to give it a go and see if i like it before i go further. Weber is good, but maaaan, kamado beat it in every way. Steady temperatures, charcoal efficiency, food tenderness and moist is way above, now you can still do the same on the weber, but with a bit of struggle, constant monitoring of temp go up or down, loading coals every 2hrs for long cooks. So yes, ordered myself a largest kamado i can get, yes it cost and arm and a leg, but it just way better than metal kettles and i just love barbecue :) however not yet planing on selling my weber, id say it will stay with me for a good while

Weber summit is indeed no different to typical kettle weber, its the ceramics in real Kamado that makes it different

lisij wrote: »
    Always dreamed of Weber, eventually got it. Loved everything about it. Smoked for 12+ hrs, cooked different meals. Recently decided to try with Kamado, got a small unit just to give it a go and see if i like it before i go further. Weber is good, but maaaan, kamado beat it in every way. Steady temperatures, charcoal efficiency, food tenderness and moist is way above, now you can still do the same on the weber, but with a bit of struggle, constant monitoring of temp go up or down, loading coals every 2hrs for long cooks. So yes, ordered myself a largest kamado i can get, yes it cost and arm and a leg, but it just way better than metal kettles and i just love barbecue :) however not yet planing on selling my weber, id say it will stay with me for a good while

Weber summit is indeed no different to typical kettle weber, its the ceramics in real Kamado that makes it different

The largest kamado you could get eh?! What did you go for??

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭lisij

The largest kamado you could get eh?! What did you go for??

Sorry, should of said the biggest i can afford :) went with KamadoClub pro2. Was debating between joe classic 3 but went with club instead and bought almost all accessories for it including rotisserie and it still didnt cost me what joe classic 3 only will cost.

Not sure whether ill keep the joe junior now, will have to see

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,098 ✭✭✭✭beertons

OU812 wrote: »
    Lads, hoping for a little advice. Looking to buy a largish gas BBQ & currently looking at the Omaha 5 Burner Gas Grill (€599) & Sahara 4 burner (€549) both in woodies. Would love to go for a webber but funds don't stretch that far.

Out of the two of them, which do you think is the better buy? I really like the Sahara one, but the Omaha one has the extra burner & seems like a sturdier piece of kit

I'd go Sahara myself. Was going to get one myself last year, but funds became tight when I stopped working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Brian? wrote: »
    The first one is too small to be practical long term. It's fine for grilling burgers etc. but you’ll have a hard time smoking on it.

Go as big as you can afford.

https://www.woodies.ie/weber-47cm-compact-kettle-barbecue-black-841083

Hi, bit of a lurker here..
    I got the 47cm Weber with the built in thermostat a short while ago to try do slow cooking(shoulder of pork-type of thing).
    I did a small chicken on it, and while it was very juicy if very under marinated, the taste of smoke totally ruined it. It was overpowering. I didnt use chips, just charcoal.
    My question is, am i wasting my time and money trying to do good cuts of pork on it??

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭willabur

Ken Tucky wrote: »

I got the 47cm Weber with the built in thermostat a short while ago to try do slow cooking(shoulder of pork-type of thing).
    I did a small chicken on it, and while it was very juicy if very under marinated, the taste of smoke totally ruined it. It was overpowering. I didnt use chips, just charcoal.
    My question is, am i wasting my time and money trying to do good cuts of pork on it??

Thanks.

what charcoal did you use?
    did you wait until they had a coating of ash before putting chicken in the bbq

willabur wrote: »
    what charcoal did you use?
    did you wait until they had a coating of ash before putting chicken in the bbq

Thanks,
    Yes the charcoal was grey. I use a chimney so no problem there. I got the charcoal in SuperValu...:o
    In fairness i, i had a bag of it there from last year. I have ordered some stuff from SureFire wood as recommended on this thread. Would that be a better job?

Thanks.

Not at all. You can get great results from a weber kettle for long cooks. One of it's strengths is it so versatile.

It obviously easier on a kamado or pellet grill or other purpose built smoker but you can pick up a weber kettle second hand for 50quid on done deal!

ronoc wrote: »
    Not at all. You can get great results from a weber kettle for long cooks. One of it's strengths is it so versatile.

It obviously easier on a kamado or pellet grill or other purpose built smoker but you can pick up a weber kettle second hand for 50quid on done deal!

Good stuff..i'll keep going so. All i need now is some decent weather.

This is a great thread by the way...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I’ve waited for a year to get my KJ classic 3
    Had it just over a month and have absolutely no regrets. It’s ability to maintain temp if fantastic

I put a Jacobs ladder on at 225f went out to the shops etc came back a few hrs later and hadn’t budged !
    It’s extremely economical with charcoal too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Thanks.

You can do it, but it’s tough. Vert tough

The chicken was over smoked? Was there a lot of unlit charcoal in the kettle when you started?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

ronoc wrote: »

I’d agree, if you’re talking about a 57cm kettle. The 47cm kettle is hard to work with but not impossible

they/them/theirs

Good stuff..i'll keep going so. All i need now is some decent weather.

This is a great thread by the way...:)

They key is to ignore the weather. I bbq 12 months a year.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭terenurebob

Does anyone have a Weber SmokeFire? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Hopefully its improved but it initially had some dreadful reviews on youtube with a lot of guys returning them. Would love to hear if anyone here has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Defo watch the many YouTube videos. Was fraught with issues at launch with many resolved. I opted against it in the end on the basis that I doubt Weber support is as good here as it is in the US or UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

have a few black spots on my weber smoking plate that i cant shift when i was it ,dont want to take anything too harsh to it in case i damage the surface .
    anyone reccomend anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭willabur

Thanks,
    Yes the charcoal was grey. I use a chimney so no problem there. I got the charcoal in SuperValu...:o
    In fairness i, i had a bag of it there from last year. I have ordered some stuff from SureFire wood as recommended on this thread. Would that be a better job?

So the charcoal was old? Could it have been a bit damp, that can cause a black smoke which in turn will spoil the taste.

have a few black spots on my weber smoking plate that i cant shift when i was it ,dont want to take anything too harsh to it in case i damage the surface .
    anyone reccomend anything

Leave it alone. What harm is it doing?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Brian? wrote: »
    The chicken was over smoked? Was there a lot of unlit charcoal in the kettle when you started?

Aha! This question might have just answered a problem I've been having. Although it makes me wonder how something like the minion method can work if unlit charcoal is a potential problem?

thejaguar wrote: »
    Aha! This question might have just answered a problem I've been having. Although it makes me wonder how something like the minion method can work if unlit charcoal is a potential problem?

Or the snake method...think i'll stick to beans on toast:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

This is something I have often wondered about. On kamado Joe videos, and in my experience, you'd never have all of the charcoal grey before starting a cook - just wait for the temperature to be right and usually there wouldn't be much smoke at that point. There'll be points later in the cook that smoke comes if a piece of wood starts to burn but if there aren't pieces of wood that won't happen.

But then guys using Weber often say start with a chimney which will light all the charcoal or use snake method which won't...

I dunno, I just work as I described above and never have a problem with over smoked food.

• Advertisement

thejaguar wrote: »

It's only a problem for poultry, which you don't need to do a minion or fuse method. A whole chicken takes no more than 90 minutes, even the worst briquettes will burn for that amount of time.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement