Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Yeah i always wonder if that's true of just a myth, either way im happy enough to pick up half a dozen racks for a very reasonable price even if there not as meaty

#Practice :D

Out of curiosity how many hours do you do ribs for??

We don't get ribs anywhere near as big as in the US. I used to live in Az and the racks k bought there were at least 30% bigger.

It's perfectly legal to feed animals growth hormone there.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

oleras wrote: »
    Usually 6, i have followed the 321 method , 3 hours on smoke, 2 wrapped with some apple juice in the foil and the last hour sauced unwrapped, the last hour usually is only 30 mins though, they are more than done at that stage. temp would be around the 225-250.

I use the 321 method as well. But since I moved home it's more like the 2-1.5-.5 method due to the aforementioned size difference in the ribs.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Brian? wrote: »
    We don't get ribs anywhere near as big as in the US. I used to live in Az and the racks k bought there were at least 30% bigger.

It's perfectly legal to feed animals growth hormone there.

Same with brisket, all beasts are slaughtered around the 24 month mark here i think so dont get a chance to grow massive.

Same with brisket, all beasts are slaughtered around the 24 month mark here i think so dont get a chance to grow massive.

It's not the age, it's how they grow. In the US cattle are stuck in a feed lot with a growth hormone implant and fed corn before they are slaughtered. The flavour of the meat reflects this IMO, even the best beef in the US isn't a patch on Irish beef.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

Find yourself a Polish butchers..they have very similar ribs to St Louis cut.. Got three really meaty racks for 11 euro.
    27114081243_ef72969145_k.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Speaking of bbq's, anyone going to the big grill festival?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

It's not the age, it's how they grow. In the US cattle are stuck in a feed lot with a growth hormone implant and fed corn before they are slaughtered. The flavour of the meat reflects this IMO, even the best beef in the US isn't a patch on Irish beef.

Completely agreed. I spend an awful lot of time over an back to the US, and Irish meat/dairy is far better, even at the cheapest levels. The difference in FDA approved feeds is so different from what we've grown up with.
    Find yourself a Polish butchers..they have very similar ribs to St Louis cut.. Got three really meaty racks for 11 euro.[/img]

Any recommendations in Dublin? I've only been able to get trimmed racks for about 8/9 a pop in FXB's but the St. Louis cut makes all the difference when it comes to fat/meat content.
    beertons wrote: »
    Speaking of bbq's, anyone going to the big grill festival?

Tempted this year - I've no interest in most of the festivities apart from the competition. I kinda want to compete in the pulled pork category.

I'm in mullingar but I think there is one in coolmine.. Some of the polenza shops have butchers in them... Try the one in liffey Valley

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

I'm in mullingar

Is this the butchers shop beside the Aldi car park in mullingar..?

That's the one... Great smoked meat in there too

• Advertisement

I went to Franklins BBQ in Austin today. I've never had meat like that before. Huge experience, would definitely recommend it if you're in Austin. There was a 5 hour queue to get in for lunch, but it was good craic, beers and music and the kitchen dropping out samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

OldBean wrote: »
    I went to Franklins BBQ in Austin today. I've never had meat like that before. Huge experience, would definitely recommend it if you're in Austin. There was a 5 hour queue to get in for lunch, but it was good craic, beers and music and the kitchen dropping out samples.

After 5 hour que for lunch that's dinner......

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Well, I got in the queue at 8.30am and in fairness I'm still stuffed nearly a day later. Will pop up a photo when I get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I did a couple of sheets of babyback pork ribs a week or so ago. I covered them in foil & braised them at around 120C in coke with grated ginger, garlic, onions & chilli for 2.5 hours. Then used the cooking liquor as a base for BBQ sauce with added soy, tomato ketchup, honey & vinegar.

I finished the ribs brushed with the sauce on a smoking hot grill - just a couple of minutes each side for a good char. Remainder of the sauce was used as a dip for wedges & with some chopped fresh onion as a relish for burgers.

Go to Terry Black's bbq.. Gives Franklins an run for the money.. Lads will bring you for a look around the smoke house if you ask.. Saltlick is worth a journey too... Enjoy Austin, my favourite US city

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

The extent of our BBQ'ing is burgers and steaks. I've been buying lumpwood from Woodies but the last few bags have literally been full of 2 euro coin size pieces and dust. Can anyone recommend a supplier of decent lumpwood charcoal?

Go to Terry Black's bbq.. Gives Franklins an run for the money.. Lads will bring you for a look around the smoke house if you ask.. Saltlick is worth a journey too... Enjoy Austin, my favourite US city

I haven't had time unfortunately, missing quite a few spots but will just have to come back. Tried lesser BBQ yesterday (Ironworks) and the difference really is crazy.

I haven't had time unfortunately, missing quite a few spots but will just have to come back. Tried lesser BBQ yesterday (Ironworks) and the difference really is crazy.

Nice restaurant across from ironworks called moonshine if you make it back.. Lovely flat iron steak and grits..the food in Austin is ridiculously good.. Torchy tacos is a must visit too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Calibos wrote: »
    The extent of our BBQ'ing is burgers and steaks. I've been buying lumpwood from Woodies but the last few bags have literally been full of 2 euro coin size pieces and dust. Can anyone recommend a supplier of decent lumpwood charcoal?

This is what I have used for the last year:
    https://aroomoutside.ie/restaurant-grade-lumpwood-charcoal-12kg.html

Saying that, I often use B&Q lumpwood which is far inferior but good for hot and quick cooks (steaks, burgers, kebabs etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Calibos wrote: »

I went to a room outside in Glasthule and bought big green egg charcoal there, they also sell restaurant grade stuff and the butchers across the road sells Nam Char Charcoal for 3kg for fiver.
    So far I am happy with the BGE charcoal good size pieces and seems to be good quality, Nam Char has fans here in this forum, by the way I have a a BBQ not a BGE

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

Smoked beef cheeks in the Kamado yesterday.
    Simple salt and pepper rub, done at a grill temp of around 260F until they hit 210 internal temp. Used Nam-Char and cherry wood chips.

My favourite thing we've done so far, definitely preferred it to brisket or short-ribs. Rich, meltingly delicious meat, in a toasted brioche bun, with homemade BBQ sauce, caramalised onions and baby gem lettuce.

Same again for dinner tonight. :)
    Gonna get some more for this weekend...forgot to use a slather this time, so want to try again, and will pick up some wood chunks, as the chips don't really provide consistent smoke.

The kamado style may be my next cooker, the consistent steady 15+ hour temps are a real selling point even though the pricepoint may not be !

I may treat myself at the end of the season, i saw an ex demo recently for under the 1k.

Costco in the UK sell the Kamado Joe afaik. There is another supplier to IRl now, grill-dome.

The kamado style may be my next cooker, the consistent steady 15+ hour temps are a real selling point even though the pricepoint may not be !

I may treat myself at the end of the season, i saw an ex demo recently for under the 1k.

Costco in the UK sell the Kamado Joe afaik. There is another supplier to IRl now, grill-dome.

Got our Kamado Joe Classic from outdoor.ie.
    Couldn't be happier with it, and significantly cheaper than the BGE.

How long did the cheeks take fitz, roughly ?

I have some ordered since last week and may smoke them instead of the usual braise.

How long did the cheeks take fitz, roughly ?

I have some ordered since last week and may smoke them instead of the usual braise.

It was about 9 hours, but part of that is me making a bit of a balls of setting the fire, didn't put enough fresh fuel in, and I think some of what I reused from my last cook had got a bit damp. Most of the cook was between 250 and 260, but had to refuel late on when temp started to drop. I had some work to do so want paying too much attention to it, but it worked out fine in the end.

Was working off this guidance:

http://jesspryles.com/smoked-beef-cheeks/

Want to try again this weekend when I can give it a bit more care and see what sticking to the 275F grill temp will do for the cooking time and result. If its add tasty add this week, having a go to 5 hour cook will be awesome.

fitz wrote: »
    It was about 9 hours, but part of that is me making a bit of a balls of setting the fire, didn't put enough fresh fuel in, and I think some of what I reused from my last cook had got a bit damp. Most of the cook was between 250 and 260, but had to refuel late on when temp started to drop. I had some work to do so want paying too much attention to it, but it worked out fine in the end.

Was working off this guidance:

http://jesspryles.com/smoked-beef-cheeks/

Want to try again this weekend when I can give it a bit more care and see what sticking to the 275F grill temp will do for the cooking time and result. If its add tasty add this week, having a go to 5 hour cook will be awesome.

I'm going to give smoked cheeks a go on Sunday. I'm planning to use an espresso and chilli rub as I find this great with beef.

they/them/theirs

I'm going to give smoked cheeks a go on Sunday. I'm planning to use an espresso and chilli rub as I find this great with beef.

Post is getting reported if you don't put that rub recipe up here asap...

Wont have time tomorrow, looks like Wednesday will be cheeky !

IMG_20160627_202828_1.jpg

Butcher trimmed them up and all for me.

fitz wrote: »
    Post is getting reported if you don't put that rub recipe up here asap...

Here's the espresso chili rub I use.. Brian? May be different
    2 tbs ground dark roast coffee
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tbs chilli powder.. Ancho if you have it
    1 tsp sweet paprika
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper

• Advertisement

Here's the espresso chili rub I use.. Brian? May be different
    2 tbs ground dark roast coffee
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tbs chilli powder.. Ancho if you have it
    1 tsp sweet paprika
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper

That's the one. From "Weber Way to Grill"

they/them/theirs

Advertisement