Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm sure they work. But a lot of the challenge of bbq is getting the temps right. If they do that for you, you'll get the result you're looking for but you're missing out on the earning it.

I've had some things not turn out great but you learn from those. Then when the next one turns out well it tastes even better because of your previous failure.

Maybe they're for people who like bbq food but don't like the act of bbq.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

You're welcome to keep the temperature right overnight if you like. I prefer sleeping.

I'm into eating tasty stuff. Not strongly into the process behind it though. The more of that that gets offloaded the better. If I can do my bit and then get some sleep or concentrate on higher value things so much the better.

I do get your point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

I always complain about convenience and say things like you're missing out or you're not really getting the full experience. That is until I cave and buy the product with the added convenience and quickly become a convert.

I don't have a traeger but they seem like the business to me. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bamayang

Hey, have 0.5kg pork ribs that I am going to do on the Webber tomorrow.

Ive heard plenty about 3-2-1 method before, but is that way overkill for ribs this small? Should it be 1hr, 40min 20mm?

What temp should I be keeping the charcoal at?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

A non recommedation for Lidls charcoal briquettes, it only ever got up to 182c and after that was dropping in temperature after an hour in the baskets with the lid on. Eventually finished on 125c at the grill plate and struggled to get a joint of beef to 60c internal on indirect but eventually got there. What charcoal are people using if they want to be sure it maintains a good temp for 2 hours?

Also any home made remedies to stop a probe at the grill plate falling through it and taking temps from the wrong spot. Is there any kind of a clip out there that secures them to the grill plate to prevent this happening?

Otherwise made beef with the memphis dust rub, parmasan and rosemary potatoes and grilled peppers & onions, was delicious even if it did take longer than expected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭hargo

I use the blue 12 kg bags restaurant grade from B&Q €24 was 15 last year but really good charcoal and will burn very hot when grilling or last all day in a kamado.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

(how do you delete posts?)

I wanted to buy one of these for several years and finally relented last year - great job imho. I’ve done whole chickens (so succulent!), rib eye roasts (incredible) and even my Turkey in the píssings of rain last Christmas Day - it turned out unbelievably well. So I’d recommend it, been meaning to try shawarma for a while and will do soon.

Thanks,will look out for the blue bag next time Im in there

yeah pretty sure I'll get the Onlyfire version the next time it drops a bit in price on Amazon. Is there enough space on a 57cm rotisserie to do two chickens simultaneously on them, would the prongs allow it?

Yeah I think you could do 2 simultaneously alright, you’d just need to trust them onto the spit in the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I'm thinking of getting a slow and sear, definitely not interested in spending €200 or whatever they're charging for the branded version.

The main reason I want it is to keep the charcoal a bit more neat and tidy so I have better control of the "zones".

Does anyone know if there are any decent "value" versions. I see Onlyfire have one on Amazon for about €50.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I have that Onlyfire one from Amazon. It’s grand.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I have ones like this, that came with my ink bird and clip between the grates.

Temperature Probe Clip Meat Clips Holder 3 Holes Stainless Steel Universal A Style for BBQ Grill Oven Probe Holder Thermometer Grill Clip Accessories(Set of 4) https://amzn.eu/2Ff8iyP

Thanks for this, its exactly what Im after to stop the Inkbird probe falling between the grill grates.

Otherwise its Prime Day today so the OnlyFire rotisserie that was being discussed has been reduced from £96 to £72, works out around 89 euro delivered. Ive ordered one now while they are discounted. Its a lighting deal and it is currently 60% claimed and will finish when its sold out or by around 11.30pm tonight

Going to give the new rotisserie its first run out tomorrow evening on the Weber kettle with a 1.6kg chicken. Any tips or tricks, is it best done indirect and lid on with the charcoal baskets to the sides and a tray below the chicken? Also any guidance on how long it might take, I have a probe thermomenter but obviously I cant leave it inside the chicken while it is rotating.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Indirect, lid on. Try use 1 charcoal basket to side so one sides cool and one has heat. Tray underneath with some veg & potatoes for the fat to drip into

I do exactly as you've suggested: charcoal on both sides, tray underneath, lid on. I try (and generally fail) to keep the temp around 180 degrees. I've found that a 1.6kg chicken wouldn't take much more than an hour - maybe 90 mins at a stretch, which is quicker that I expected.

Defo take neris advice and pop some potatoes/veg in the tray under the chicken.

I've tried a few different rubs on the chicken, but my favourite is probably peruvian chicken - I can't find it now but there's a recipe I've used with about 6 cloves of garlic and it's excellent. If I can find it I'll post it. It makes for very tasty potatoes in the tray underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This is the best BBQ chicken recipe Ive found. Spuds aside obviously.

Bake it in the oven to about 150c and then finish it off on the BBQ after a baste.

Post edited by The Nal on

Thanks for the recipes lads. I marinated the chicken in tandoori paste last night but will be giving those two a try on future cooks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Probably late for this. I don’t have a Weber, but on my kamado I cook at least one rotisserie chicken per week.

I do it direct, 200-ish Celsius and with lid closed. One hour is spot on the time for a 1.5 kg chicken. I open lid at 50 minutes and I use my instant read thermometer on the thighs (I want them at 190F) and on the breast (170-175F). Always comes out delicious. For rub I use salt, pepper and garlic powder in a 7:2:2 ratio

Thanks for the tips. It went good last night, the dog was licking his lips when it came off

Only problem I had was the spear fell out of the motor a couple of times, has anyone else had that issue with the OnlyFire rotisserie? Might be because I only hand tightened the screws for the bracket, will take a look next time I'm using it but hope its not a regular problem.

Why don’t you wait for the all the charcoal to grey over? The flavour will be improved by the lack of charcoal smoke

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Not needed on the kamado. I use only lump wood, so the charcoal doesn’t need need to be left to be gray, it doesn’t give any unpleasant scent. I never had an issue of “charcoal taste”. Don’t know if with briquettes is a problem, but many people smoke meat for more than 8-10 hours at a time and for that you need the lump wood or briquettes to burn at different times, hence having unlit ones.

For me, once the temperature is stable at 200C for 15 minutes or so I place the chicken in.

It wouldn’t be a problem with a long smoke, like pork or beef. But chicken takes on smoke very easily, so easy to over smoke. I hate over smoked chicken, most bbq restaurants over smoke it now IMO

It’s worth trying, you’ll use less charcoal as well. I smoke chicken with a thumb sized piece of fruit wood and it’s perfect.

Briquettes, good quality briquettes, are just ground up wood charcoal compacted into briquettes. Some use corn flour as a binder, but that’s because it’s flavourless.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Has anyone tried the todobrasa lumpwood from logsonline.ie? The few reviews I can find in Spanish all give 5 stars.

https://logsonline.ie/todobrasa-holm-oak-restaurant-grade-charcoal-15kg-mediterranean-aromas

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sunny_Arms

What would be your tips for first-time charcoal grill users? I have experience with electric (with my Dad) but since I've moved out and have my own backyard now, I wanted to try a BBQ party when they visit.

First off, what would be the elements you would consider in buying a charcoal grill? I'm looking at the options on https://dicksonbbq.com/ and I'm overwhelmed. Next, what would be your cleaning tips? Sauces and herbs would harden and stick to the grills. Steel bristle brushes can remove it but damage the grills at the same time. Lastly, storage. Do you just leave them outside and let it face the elements alone? Or buy a cover? Or, make space in the storage/garage for it?

• Advertisement

Number 1 tip. If you are doing food directly over the coal, take your time and allow the coals to get to the correct point before putting food over them.

Advertisement