Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Sidford

Yea would echo the master touch recommendation. Got one about 5 years ago and it's still in great shape. I put a good bit of research into it at the time and it was standout option for that sort of price range and still is today. You won't regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭squonk

Ditto. My master touch is 4-5 years old. Only really started using it very regularly last year but it’s in great shape still and I’d say the only parts I’ll need are a new grill grate and baskets at some stage but it’s a great piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Horse Quack

anyone have any experience/ recommendations for cooking multiple racks of ribs on a kettle? I’m planning on doing 3-4 this weekend.

I’ve only done one at a time before and use the 3-2-1 method with the briquettes arranged in the snake formation. As I’m doing at least 3 I don’t think I’ll have room to lay them flat so I got one of the rib holders from Lidl when they had them in a couple of weeks ago. It should hold all 4.

My question is does the 321 method work if you’re using a holder? Specifically can you wrap them and still fit them in the holder or is it better to just let them go 6-7 hours without wrapping?

another satisfied master touch user here fwiw

• Registered Users Posts: 12,713 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Personally I think 6 hours if far too long for babybacks but if youre worried about space you can do the first couple of hours on the BBQ and then finish them in the oven. Then maybe back on the BBQ for a nice bit of final flame.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Rib town population me

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

way too long. 3-2-1 is for massive American St Louis cut ribs.

See the pic above. 2 hours smoking. 2 hours wrapped. 15mins in sauce.

they/them/theirs

Wrap them in pairs or in 3. No need for a racks.

they/them/theirs

Yeah Id do about the same, on the WSM too.

Speaking of, weekend looking great. Will be doing a meat shop on Thursday before the good stuff sells out. Think Ill go poultry. Have a few Indian dry rubs made up that need using.

Indian dry rubs?!? Happy days, any chance of sharing recipe?

• Advertisement

I would if I could remember!

Something along the lines of fennel seeds, mustard seeds, poppy seeds, cumin seeds and coriander seeds toasted and ground up, turmeric, smoked paprika, mace, chili powder (not the American type), garlic and ginger powder.

Another garam masala type one with cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom which badly needed a yoghurt type sauce.

I think.

Oh, and a ras el hanout. Not Indian I know.

I was thinking more about spare ribs, but it will depend what the butchers got in stock. for babybacks I'd be more likely to go 3-1.5-.5 or 2-2-.5

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭thereitisgone

I do same, ive even cut out the 15mins with the sauce, i add sauce when i wrap and little apple juice in wrap

2 hours smoking, 2 hours wrapped max, have even done wrapped just 1.5 hours and i think it could have been even better, meat still came off bone but really good texture to meat, but they were really great baby backs top start with

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

agreed.

when I do spare ribs, I’d typically do 2.5-1.5-0.5. 4.5 hours total

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

And another vote for the master touch here. Can’t go wrong.

See where you want to go then after a few years if you see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭hargo

just wondering if anyone here has thied the frozen ribs out of Musgraves, think they are Spanish. They have 2 sizes on offer the largest which are massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

7kg Packer smoking overnight for a BBQ tomorrow. Weber Master Touch. That's folded in half! The 10th or so Brisket I've done on this yoke, amazing if you get the right brisket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Can you throw up a photo in the morning too please? Thanks

Did a brisket only once and in no rush to go again

Any chance you can post your recipe and cooking time for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I wish I saw this earlier, the brisket was devoured. I pulled it at 9am, after rotating it every 3 hours, and finished in the oven, but a I made a small boo-boo. My tired ass automatically put it to 180c for 30 mins before I realised my mistake.. So some of the flat was a little dry. The Point was amazing and tender and an entire brisket was gone in about an hour between 10 people Just mustard and some Salt/Pepper + a small amount of some Texas rub I had left over (store bought). 16 hours cook in total including the last 4 hours in the oven. Used Weber Master Touch 57cm, with the snake method and some whiskey barrel chunks. 8/10. Would have been 10 if the part of the flat wasn't dry, but hey that's why they invented bbq sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭lisij

have you used the charcoal/briquettes from them already, any review please?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

To take it off the BBQ would be 'pull it' at a certain time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I did wonder if that was it but I always marvel at people's love for "pulled" meat.

There was a bbq place in Cork (gone now) that served its brisket pulled, much to the horror of my American pal!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Cafe near me does pulled beef sandwich and it's delish. Will have to pay a visit and see if it says brisket on the menu.

First cook this afternoon with the Weber lump wood I ordered recently. I think the briquettes are great so figured I’d throw in a few bags with my latest order. It was very small when I tipped it out. A lot of it was like little nuggets of coal. The biggest bits were less than the size of my hand. It d did fine cooking a few burgers and roasted potatoes and vegetable but was starting to loose oomph after about an hour. Having filled a full chimney starter it had shrunk down to about 4/5 full after the coals lighted. It doesn’t seem to be a patch on the restaurant grade blue bag lump wood charcoal I had last summer. Still have some bags of that off site so I’ll grab one I think. If I’d picked up a generic brand somewhere fir a few quid I probably wouldn’t complain but expect more from Weber.

I’ve had pulled brisket at several bbq joints in the US. Never liked it

they/them/theirs

I swear by their briquettes for long cooks. But their lumpwood is muck.

I rarely use lumpwood for anything, but if I am it’s restaurant grade stuff.

they/them/theirs

Thats another thing. I use lump wood to get some good heat. Generally that’s good for quick cooks like the usual burgers and your typical “crowd around” bbq scenario. The Weber lump wood never got really hot. Very disappointing. Not even sure if chance it on getting the Ooni up to temp. I think I’ll burn through it the my short cooks over the next while and reserve the briquettes for when I need more reliability

• Advertisement

While in on the subject of sub par BBQ products, I ordered a few bags of these Big K starter cubes last year.

They’re pretty hard to light. At one point I got them lit on a breezy day, left fur a bit, cane back after 20 minutes to cold coal. They’d gone out. They seem like good value but aren’t worth it at all.

Advertisement