Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

so cooking two shoulders as we speak
    12hrs on the smoker, finishing in the oven in foil
    this will be served tmw at 4pm,
    so do i pull it tonight or leave it intact and reheat and pull tmw?

thanks

I never had to finish a butt in the oven, usually leave it on the smoker or BGE on till it reaches 190-200F and remove it and wrap it in foil and put it in a cooler box wrapped in towels. It keeps for 3-4 hours this way, and when ready to eat I pull it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

bone out, skin off, rubbed and rolled, about 5lb each i think
    12hrs at 220-250f, still 160ish f internal temp
    in the oven an hour and im at about 180

time is the issue, i want to go to bed!
    ive a lot to do tmw for a party not just the pork

anyway, back to the question.... pull tonight or tmw?

cheers

When the butt's reach 160 they stall for up to 2-3 hours that's normal and given time they will get beyond this and finish on the smoker. Back to your question, when you get them up to temp in the oven pull them tonight when hot.

I normally start butts at around 11pm the night before when needed the next day, that way they are ready to go when guests arrive and everybody picks away at them..

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ned01

Cocoon wrote: »
    When the butt's reach 160 they stall for up to 2-3 hours that's normal and given time they will get beyond this and finish on the smoker. Back to your question, when you get them up to temp in the oven pull them tonight when hot.

I normally start butts at around 11pm the night before when needed the next day, that way they are ready to go when guests arrive and everybody picks away at them..

I agree. Pull them now. It'll be much better than doing it tomorrow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

so cooking two shoulders as we speak
    12hrs on the smoker, finishing in the oven in foil
    this will be served tmw at 4pm,
    so do i pull it tonight or leave it intact and reheat and pull tmw?

thanks

Pull it now and make sure it's well coated in sauce.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Might be a bit late before you read this, but I'd pull them now, and throw in up to a cup of cider vinegar and some butter, pull again, wrap with foil and leave to rest.

Either back in the oven or smoker tomorrow to get up to food safe temps, with constant stirring. If it's drying out, more vinegar (or sauce, but I prefer leaving sauce choices to guests).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I expect I'm way too late here but maybe for next time...
    Get a wireless thermometer and do an over night cook and accept you may have to get up to adjust the temperature.
    I have a 20lb shoulder in its 13th hour at the moment currently at 178f. Will cook till 198 and then wrap in towels in a cooler box for maybe 5 hours or so while the ribs go on.
    Always works for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is the reason you lads are using degrees farenheit and lbs because ye started from american receipes...farenheit makes my head spin ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

For me, yes, even though I'm a scientist... Most good recipe sites and books are American and it is a lot easier to set the thermometer to Fahrenheit than convert all of the various temperatures every time.

Markcheese wrote: »
    Is the reason you lads are using degrees farenheit and lbs because ye started from american receipes...farenheit makes my head spin ....

Yup. BBQ is a very American thing. I wouldn't use fahrenheit for anything else. My meat thermometer and the thermometers on my BBQs are all in F.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Yeah, when I got into BBQ, I realised how much easier/more accurate it is to work with Fahrenheit. I use it for most of my cooking these days. I also work a lot over in the US, so am constantly flipping over and back, but would always refer to weather temp as Celsius, funnily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

experimenting with my WSM today.Got some beef back ribs and a piece of blade.Both dry rubbed and hickory smoked.Ribs took 4.5 hrs and are looking good,blade over 5 hrs and very tender.Both are cheap cuts and really tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

28389726000_3ae6e23321_z.jpg

Pork shoulder and some polish sausage at the three hour mark...lovely bark forming

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

MaceFace wrote:
    I have a 20lb shoulder in its 13th hour at the moment currently at 178f..

Very interested pal. Keen to know more

Is anyone from here competing in the BBQ competition at The Big Grill?

I'm half tempted, but not sure if it's full-on US BBQ competition style or just about good BBQ...

Does anybody here know a butchers on the northside of Dublin that knows what a pork butt is, the last shoulder I ordered turned out to be more of a picnic shoulder sooner than a butt.

It would be great just to be able walk into a butchers and buy exactly what you need sooner than having to explain and still walk away with the wrong cut.

Does anybody here know a butchers on the northside of Dublin that knows what a pork butt is, the last shoulder I ordered turned out to be more of a picnic shoulder sooner than a butt.

It would be great just to be able walk into a butchers and buy exactly what you need sooner than having to explain and still walk away with the wrong cut.

I just use the whole shoulder, it's perfect for pulled pork. Why do you want it trimmed to the butt?

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    I just use the whole shoulder, it's perfect for pulled pork. Why do you want it trimmed to the butt?

A butt is the perfect size for the BGE Minimax, saves a load of lumpwood compared to using the large BGE or the WSM when doing a whole shoulder.

A butt is the perfect size for the BGE Minimax, saves a load of lumpwood compared to using the large BGE or the WSM when doing a whole shoulder.
    Find yourself a Polish butchers.. They sell shoulder cut to the butt as a standard cut.. Any decent one will have a few on the counter

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

Tried my first overnight cook with the Kamado Joe at the weekend. 3.1kg, full skin on bone in pork shoulder.

Used a melted butter/dijon mustard/brown sugar slather, then rubbed with the espresso chilli rub recommended before on here.
    Set the fire, got the temp to about 240F and put the shoulder in at about 9pm. After a couple of small vent adjustments, to make sure the temp was stabilized around 240 and holding, I set the alarms on my ThermoPro wireless thermometer, and kept an eye on the grill temp for another while before hitting the hay.

Woke up the following morning, check the temps on the ThermoPro from the leaba...the grill temp still maintaining around 240, and the internal temp of the meat reading around the 180.

Hit the magic 203F at lunchtime.
    Left to rest, then took off the skin, stuck that on a cooling rack over a casserole dish half filled with boiling water and put that in the oven on on full blast for 15 minutes to make crackling.

Everything turned out great.
    The ThermoPro is a fantastic piece of kit, no more going out to check temps, it really makes life easy. Between it and the temp stability of the KJ, I wouldn't be at all worried about leaving a cook overnight again.

• Advertisement

fitz wrote: »
    Tried my first overnight cook with the Kamado Joe at the weekend. 3.1kg, full skin on bone in pork shoulder.

Used a melted butter/dijon mustard/brown sugar slather, then rubbed with the espresso chilli rub recommended before on here.
    Set the fire, got the temp to about 240F and put the shoulder in at about 9pm. After a couple of small vent adjustments, to make sure the temp was stabilized around 240 and holding, I set the alarms on my ThermoPro wireless thermometer, and kept an eye on the grill temp for another while before hitting the hay.

Woke up the following morning, check the temps on the ThermoPro from the leaba...the grill temp still maintaining around 240, and the internal temp of the meat reading around the 180.

Hit the magic 203F at lunchtime.
    Left to rest, then took off the skin, stuck that on a cooling rack over a casserole dish half filled with boiling water and put that in the oven on on full blast for 15 minutes to make crackling.

Everything turned out great.
    The ThermoPro is a fantastic piece of kit, no more going out to check temps, it really makes life easy. Between it and the temp stability of the KJ, I wouldn't be at all worried about leaving a cook overnight again.

That espresso chili rub is intended for beef..never used it on pork before

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

It was good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BBQTipp

OldBean wrote: »
    Is anyone from here competing in the BBQ competition at The Big Grill?

I'm half tempted, but not sure if it's full-on US BBQ competition style or just about good BBQ...

Competed last year, it's a low and slow, we had 24 Access wristbands so that pits could be tended over night. Only ten competed with most teams coming from UK and NI.

Cheers! Do you know if the BBQ was competition style? As in injected, msg, full on flavours or just about BBQ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

It's really good on roast chicken too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BBQTipp

OldBean wrote: »
    Cheers! Do you know if the BBQ was competition style? As in injected, msg, full on flavours or just about BBQ?

Oh it's full on competition and quite pressured. Saturday was an Anything But (chefs choice) that was won by Ulster Butchers doing a very large part of cow, followed by Burger round - there is no burger comp this year. Sunday was chicken, ribs, Butt and Brisket. The Butts and Briskets were over night. Some teams stayed, the U.K. ones set Fans/bigipros, great atmosphere at 4am waiting for dawn to break.

Most teams used rubs and then basted, have a look at the Grillfest Facebook page, last year the put a call out for judges. The Grand Champion was one of the U.K. Teams - that regularly competes, sells rubs and run courses.

Fair range of equipment from homemade to BGE and Weber.

Thanks for all that info, exactly what I was after!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Finally have my own space with enough room for a BBQ and I was wondering, in your opinions is there anything say <60 worth getting as a first BBQ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

marko93 wrote: »
    Finally have my own space with enough room for a BBQ and I was wondering, in your opinions is there anything say <60 worth getting as a first BBQ?

I saw the Aldi BBQ/smoker in my local Aldi at the weekend reduced to €59. They are a bit crap but can be made reasonably good with fireproof gasket.

Alternatively, a second hand Weber should come in around €50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

stimpson wrote: »
    I saw the Aldi BBQ/smoker in my local Aldi at the weekend reduced to €59. They are a bit crap but can be made reasonably good with fireproof gasket.

Alternatively, a second hand Weber should come in around €50.

Would €100 get me something better or will I have to invest a bigger amount ? :P

Advertisement