Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just a quick question, would there be a market for a second hand Weber 57cm kettle barbecue, the 'normal' one, not the premium, including Weber starter and cover? If so what would be a reasonable price to ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Alun wrote: »
    Just a quick question, would there be a market for a second hand Weber 57cm kettle barbecue, the 'normal' one, not the premium, including Weber starter and cover? If so what would be a reasonable price to ask?

I just bought one for 20 quid, vents weren't screwed in for some reason but they came with it so I screwed them on. On the other hand these are on adverts

http://www.adverts.ie/charcoal-bbq-s/weber-47cm-compact-charcoal-kettle-bbq-black/11137066

http://www.adverts.ie/charcoal-bbq-s/webber-47cm/11106574

Slightly smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

RasTa wrote: »

Slightly smaller.

There's a fair bit of difference in both cooking area and depth between a compact Weber and the 57cm original.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

MaceFace wrote: »
    There does not seem to be a price on their website for the 12kg bag. Do you recall how much it cost?

Think it's €16 a bag...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

fitz wrote: »
    Think it's €16 a bag...

Wow. That's a cracker of a price...

• Advertisement

I meant to throw up a picture of a recent 6kg shoulder I done.
    Skin off, I used this rub. Total cooking time about 14 hours iirc, but it was a cook at 225F until 198F internal.

IMG_20160731_184456_resize.jpg

Pulled and used this sauce

I find the best buns to serve it on is the Irish Pride Floury Baps.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

MaceFace wrote: »
    I meant to throw up a picture of a recent 6kg shoulder I done.
    Skin off, I used this rub. Total cooking time about 14 hours iirc, but it was a cook at 225F until 198F internal.

1VaYkwEuCF0ykjP83GPUjFkxJCOsJCn4HelqLB8A6Xihv3AQWbMEhYTpLLvSee8PaUhfHN6MzVTQN6QTcL8e57NqZePMG2bcdUKw4JXFzpVN98-kBSOnirsnrspBd6VHF35geoxXy8RarvYik7vDqAr_dEgYRksUEtQJIvQ8UL1yeiBWV3kzn10IQxn7z_8_GsWXxbZsU4VQbvx28JDbsnD6r7f7OCmnNklSW39Dpp-yEGQukT3qyIEWpE_qKZj8FytxHhomzax7mzf5v-zv9cUpCv0J7X8tAe96O_clndRmhfU8S0niXS5vHbx4YeC-cN0NhTmDg6DAV0w4PpbUnW0q739tDboOrZXE3HOHSrtinAWeJxn8fksSQE8s63PVXdhUJoVhaQBztteELTLAmhN7Ss6C6_VyFG5geaqIviNICY4JWfH3Wi5O0FzNm3fr1TJIn3KzTuhp6hyTn2YlcTgi_9V_0AD8UgFt6B-IddyKPURVZ6JIb4CooC3EbR2r5kavYv4UfnNUcZFaFnvGHnOraG1MVFRWkMiMtUfoYVIETMiCx42BVxwwladxERK2g5FLz4Hk_bgcfJc78jkAGKywARLcK34=w537-h408-no

Pulled and used this sauce

I find the best buns to serve it on is the Irish Pride Floury Baps.

Photo not working for some reason...
    6kg (over 13lbs) done in 14 hours? That's very quick, especially at 225F...what you cooking in?

fitz wrote: »
    Photo not working for some reason...
    6kg (over 13lbs) done in 14 hours? That's very quick, especially at 225F...what you cooking in?

Hopefully photo okay now.
    Actually, looking back, it was closer to 15, but yeah, that was a pretty quick cook. It surprised me at the time and unfortunately had to keep it in the cooler box for a lot longer than planned. Came out lovely though.

225F was grate level using a RediCheck remote thermometer, climbed once close to 250F and dropped for a couple of hours to 200F over the course of the cook.

Interestingly, I cooked a much smaller shoulder a couple of months back and that took closer to 20 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I smoked a pork shoulder at the weekend. No idea of the weight, but a full shoulder - heavy. Skin off, overnight in rub before smoking at 225-250 (mostly at the top end). I'm using a Weber kettle with a Cajun Bandit extender, and the snake method for as long a smoke as possible (got about 7.5 hours on this one before having to top up - it was windy, which forced temps up a tad). I got to 165 internal after 8 hours or so, foiled, and was up to 200 by about 9 hours. I put the shoulder in the coolbox for a good four hours to compensate for the quick cook, and the meat was great - tender, very juicy, lovely bark.

So I'm not convinced that the 225 approach is strictly necessary for great pulled pork. Doing another one on Saturday (with a few racks of ribs), so may take some pics.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

alastair wrote: »
    I smoked a pork shoulder at the weekend. No idea of the weight, but a full shoulder - heavy. Skin off, overnight in rub before smoking at 225-250 (mostly at the top end). I'm using a Weber kettle with a Cajun Bandit extender, and the snake method for as long a smoke as possible (got about 7.5 hours on this one before having to top up - it was windy, which forced temps up a tad). I got to 165 internal after 8 hours or so, foiled, and was up to 200 by about 9 hours. I put the shoulder in the coolbox for a good four hours to compensate for the quick cook, and the meat was great - tender, very juicy, lovely bark.

So I'm not convinced that the 225 approach is strictly necessary for great pulled pork. Doing another one on Saturday (with a few racks of ribs), so may take some pics.

I've had great success doing a shoulder at 250f and foiling once the meat hits 160. A shoulder is far more forgiving than something like a brisket.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Other half has brought back a pork shoulder, as requested.

Nice meat. However... it's in three pieces.

And stuffed.

Any advice on how I should change my usual kamado pork shoulder cooking time to compensate? My gut feeling is that it'll take about 70% as long. Thoughts?

The Aldi smoker was reduced to €39.99 this weekend. I'd guess it'll be withdrawn from the stores soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

DÃ&#179 wrote: »
    The Aldi smoker was reduced to €39.99 this weekend. I'd guess it'll be withdrawn from the stores soon.

Where did you see those ??

Blessington Aldi. Got one myself, there were at least three left.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Dónal wrote: »

I'd say the main reason is because Irish people can't BBQ on them, also known as charring. Charring is the Irish BBQ process of burning everything because they don't understand what a bark is on smoked food and they think it's achieved with flames :D lol

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

niallam wrote:
    I'd say the main reason is because Irish people can't BBQ on them, also known as charring. Charring is the Irish BBQ process of burning everything because they don't understand what a bark is on smoked food and they think it's achieved with flames lol

I'd agree that a lot of irish hand you pieces of black biscuits cunningly disguised as a burger...but rest assure the aldi smoker can be used as a bbq

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

alastair wrote: »
    ...So I'm not convinced that the 225 approach is strictly necessary for great pulled pork. Doing another one on Saturday (with a few racks of ribs), so may take some pics.

I was too distracted to remember to take pics, but Saturday's smoke was another success. Had a bunch of people over In the evening, so put a larger still shoulder on at 6.30 Saturday morning (Weber kettle with Cajun Bandit extender). I'd put a home made rub on the night before. It hit 160f at some point in the afternoon, and I foiled it, adding three racks of ribs. Pulled it out around 4.30, as it had gone up to 202f. Managed to maintain 220-235f temps for all day, despite gusty winds and absolutely lashing it down for most of the morning. Put the shoulder in the cooler box and left it there until around 20.00. It came out really great - lots of appreciation. Ribs got the 3-2-1 treatment, with a bit of brown sugar, honey and pineapple juice at foiling, and Rays baby back rib sauce in the last 40 mins - also very well received. So, despite an awful day for a bbq, it all turned out well.

flended12 wrote: »
    I'd agree that a lot of irish hand you pieces of black biscuits cunningly disguised as a burger...but rest assure the aldi smoker can be used as a bbq

I've seen them and had an offset for about 2 years. Could do 1 pork shoulder with a lot of attention to temperature and the fire. Never used it as a barrel BBQ though, the cleaning didn't appeal to me

Now I can do 8-10 at the same time on the reverse flow and I just change out my fire basket after 6 hours for a new one and empty the ash tray 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

East Wall still had at least one on Saturday......

For a first time smoker, what would be the best charcoal to get to start off with?

• Advertisement

For a first time smoker, what would be the best charcoal to get to start off with?

What are you smoking?

Weber long burn briquettes are worth the money.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Weber long burn briquettes are worth the money.

And if he's cooking something like chicken thighs?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Good quality lumpwood is the way to go, I wouldn't use anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

niallam wrote: »

just do not have the thighs directly over the coals as they will go on fire. Place your coals in a way where you can pile your thighs over indirect heat and then keep the lid down on your BBQ. Start by stacking the thighs in a pile as as they cook the juices from one with go into the surrounding ones. When cooked you can spread out so the skin gets nice and brown and crispy.

I love cooking chicken thighs on charcoal and usually do with a very spicy jerk marinade.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    just do not have the thighs directly over the coals as they will go on fire. Place your coals in a way where you can pile your thighs over indirect heat and then keep the lid down on your BBQ. Start by stacking the thighs in a pile as as they cook the juices from one with go into the surrounding ones. When cooked you can spread out so the skin gets nice and brown and crispy.

I love cooking chicken thighs on charcoal and usually do with a very spicy jerk marinade.

What I meant was why would someone recommend a long burn charcoal for an 1.5 hour smoke?
    Lumpwood is about 1/2 the price (or less) of the weber long burn nuggets that will last about 4 hours when you don't need such a long burn time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

What I meant was why would someone recommend a long burn charcoal for an 1.5 hour smoke?
    Lumpwood is about 1/2 the price (or less) of the weber long burn nuggets that will last about 4 hours when you don't need such a long burn time.

I just pick up what the shop sells! Slow cooking thighs will take nearly an hour so would need to last that long at least.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I just pick up what the shop sells! Slow cooking thighs will take nearly an hour so would need to last that long at least.

The cheapest lumpwood will last that long so you'll be fine :)
    Here's some cheap lumpwood and few pieces of Apple wood. I brought that fire up to 400f without any problem, would hold 225f for maybe 3 hours with a 1/2 basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

I made some ribs on the Joe last Friday, its inaugural cook.

Really impressed with the efficiency wrt fuel.

Near enough 5 hour burn time at ~250.

Before and the day after pic with all the vents shut down.

IMG_20160819_133506_1.jpg

IMG_20160822_202325_1.jpg

• Advertisement

True. I always assume that someone asking about smoking is doing a low and slow cook.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement