Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Cocoon wrote: »
    Good quality lumpwood is the way to go, I wouldn't use anything else.

I wouldn't use lumpwood for low and slow smoking. It's best for high and fast grilling.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Thanks all, having cooked pork shoulder and brisket inside before, I'd be thinking about doing it on the smoker, low and slow.

Are the Weber briquettes the only briquette option for low and slow or are there others out there that are recommended?

For charcoal (for other faster cooks), are there any recommendations for shop bought ones? I saw some Bord na Mona charcoal in Dunnes a few days ago.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

oleras wrote: »
    I made some ribs on the Joe last Friday, its inaugural cook.

Really impressed with the efficiency wrt fuel.

Near enough 5 hour burn time at ~250.

Before and the day after pic with all the vents shut down.

IMG_20160819_133506_1.jpg

IMG_20160822_202325_1.jpg

It really is incredible how much fuel you get to reuse, even after long cooks...I also feel kinda smug when people talk about re-fueling after a few hours in other smoker/grills. Biting the bullet on getting a Kamado Joe is a decision I really couldn't be happier that I made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

@oleras: I notice some wood chunks in your BBQ. Where did you source these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

MaceFace wrote: »
    @oleras: I notice some wood chunks in your BBQ. Where did you source these?

A Room Outside have a large corner dedicated to Big Green Egg accessories, they have chunks of apple and mesquite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Plum, Apple, Oak and Beech.
    I do have to buy hickory though :(

niallam wrote: »
    Plum, Apple, Oak and Beech.
    I do have to buy hickory though :(

Where'd you buy?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Brian? wrote: »
    I wouldn't use lumpwood for low and slow smoking. It's best for high and fast grilling.

I suppose it depends what type of BBQ you are using, I done a pork shoulder last week on the big green egg minimax and I still had half the lumpwood left after 14 hours at 225f. Thats a 14 hour cook on less than 1kg of lumpwood, the large big green egg would have used about 3kg of lump doing the same cook. As for my WSM I'd have had to refuel it half way through.

Just noticed this comment.
    I exclusively use lumpwood for all my cooks regardless of temperature or time.
    To suggest it is best for either hot and fast or low and slow is just wrong. It's just different than good charcoal. Not better or worse, just different.
    I do wonder if your experience with lump is with the cheap variety where the lump can be very small.

Where'd you buy?

I managed to be lucky enough to chop down a big plum tree during the summer and same with Apple.
    The storms during the winter knocked 2 beech and 1 big oak just down the road and country rules are first on the scene with a chainsaw lol

Hickory - I buy the BGE stuff cos it's decent enough chunks but I could burn very large stuff anyway. Think the last bag I bought was weber or some other black bag.

• Advertisement

Just noticed this comment.
    I exclusively use lumpwood for all my cooks regardless of temperature or time.
    To suggest it is best for either hot and fast or low and slow is just wrong. It's just different than good charcoal. Not better or worse, just different.
    I do wonder if your experience with lump is with the cheap variety where the lump can be very small.

I'm currently working my way through Namchar. Unbelievable stuff for direct grilling.

I've used many different lump wood charcoals and stand by my earlier comments. Some of the stuff I bought it the US was in massive lumps. It's different alright, that's what makes it great for a direct grill.

Why do you exclusively use lump wood? Flavour? That's what the smoking wood is for.

Good quality briquettes are better for low and slow. It's not just my opinion. Most championship pit masters in the US use briquettes. The heat is more predictable.

At the end of the day, charcoal is just a heat source for your cook. What you want is a predictable heat source. Anyway, don't take my word for it:

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_charcoal.html

they/them/theirs

I'm currently working my way through Namchar. Unbelievable stuff for direct grilling.

I've used many different lump wood charcoals and stand by my earlier comments. Some of the stuff I bought it the US was in massive lumps. It's different alright, that's what makes it great for a direct grill.

Why do you exclusively use lump wood? Flavour? That's what the smoking wood is for.

Good quality briquettes are better for low and slow. It's not just my opinion. Most championship pit masters in the US use briquettes. The heat is more predictable.

At the end of the day, charcoal is just a heat source for your cook. What you want is a predictable heat source. Anyway, don't take my word for it:

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_charcoal.html

So for you, better means one thing - predictable heat.
    Well, I can get predictable heat well over 90% of the time using lump - and what I mean by predictable is once I get the fire settled to the desired temperature, I can keep it there for over 12 hours. There will be variance (+/- 25F), but it's a long time since I have had to get out of bed to adjust the vents,

I use lump for other reasons - it is 100% natural - no binding agents at all, and it produces much less ash. For me, that is critical.
    I also use it because I am incredibly happy with the one I use. Why fix something that isn't broke? Trying something new typically means using a different supplier for a product that has little to no reviews, so the last thing I want to do is be left with 100kg of charcoal that is poor quality (I've made that mistake before)

A couple of other things -
    Your comment on competition bbq fuel is irrelevant. We are not talking about competing, so the very unique results someone requires in a competition is very different than what we want at home. The fuel used in competition also varies wildly which just shows that there is no right and wrong - it's personal preference and what works in your individual setup.

I managed to be lucky enough to chop down a big plum tree during the summer and same with Apple.
    The storms during the winter knocked 2 beech and 1 big oak just down the road and country rules are first on the scene with a chainsaw lol

Hickory - I buy the BGE stuff cos it's decent enough chunks but I could burn very large stuff anyway. Think the last bag I bought was weber or some other black bag.

Would you be interested in selling some of the plum, apple and oak? I'd be only looking for a few logs of each to make into smoking chunks.

they/them/theirs

So for you, better means one thing - predictable heat.
    Well, I can get predictable heat well over 90% of the time using lump - and what I mean by predictable is once I get the fire settled to the desired temperature, I can keep it there for over 12 hours. There will be variance (+/- 25F), but it's a long time since I have had to get out of bed to adjust the vents,

I use lump for other reasons - it is 100% natural - no binding agents at all, and it produces much less ash. For me, that is critical.
    I also use it because I am incredibly happy with the one I use. Why fix something that isn't broke? Trying something new typically means using a different supplier for a product that has little to no reviews, so the last thing I want to do is be left with 100kg of charcoal that is poor quality (I've made that mistake before)

A couple of other things -
    Your comment on competition bbq fuel is irrelevant. We are not talking about competing, so the very unique results someone requires in a competition is very different than what we want at home. The fuel used in competition also varies wildly which just shows that there is no right and wrong - it's personal preference and what works in your individual setup.

Did you read the link I posted? I'm just going to make the same points made there.

they/them/theirs

Would you be interested in selling some of the plum, apple and oak? I'd be only looking for a few logs of each to make into smoking chunks.

Plum is something I probably won't get again so very valuable to me :) I should have plenty of oak though and I'll see on Apple. My smoker gets very hungry for wood lol

Going to use this for ribs rub this weekend :)

Did you read the link I posted? I'm just going to make the same points made there.

As much as I love amazingribs.com, I have major problems with that article. I get it - Meathead likes briquettes and that's what he uses. Good for him.

However, the first half of the article is very biased - discussing how lump can be full of branches twigs and scraps, from furniture or floor manufacturers. Even going as far as showing a picture of some plastic he found in a bag. Maybe he should find a better supplier!
    Once he starts talking about briquette, it's all about Kingsford which uses timber from "the Missouri countryside" and then goes into great detail about the process of how Kingsford converts sawdust into briquettes, including the additives which are "found in nature". Sure, anthracite and mineral char is found in nature but should you be cooking food with it? Now, I am not saying that "small amounts" is a "bad thing", but if you are going to talk about how lump is the waste of floor manufacturers, you should also say that anthracite is coal typically used in a fire. Does it impart any odours that can creep into my ceramic smoker? Those are my concerns and why I keep away from anything that I am not 100% confident with.
    Dare I suggest that he got paid in some way from Kingsford for that article!

So, there is no right or wrong answer, and to suggest that when it comes to fuel that the only thing that matters is heat certainty ignores the many other variables that others consider important.

As much as I love amazingribs.com, I have major problems with that article. I get it - Meathead likes briquettes and that's what he uses. Good for him.

However, the first half of the article is very biased - discussing how lump can be full of branches twigs and scraps, from furniture or floor manufacturers. Even going as far as showing a picture of some plastic he found in a bag. Maybe he should find a better supplier!
    Once he starts talking about briquette, it's all about Kingsford which uses timber from "the Missouri countryside" and then goes into great detail about the process of how Kingsford converts sawdust into briquettes, including the additives which are "found in nature". Sure, anthracite and mineral char is found in nature but should you be cooking food with it? Now, I am not saying that "small amounts" is a "bad thing", but if you are going to talk about how lump is the waste of floor manufacturers, you should also say that anthracite is coal typically used in a fire. Does it impart any odours that can creep into my ceramic smoker? Those are my concerns and why I keep away from anything that I am not 100% confident with.
    Dare I suggest that he got paid in some way from Kingsford for that article!

So, there is no right or wrong answer, and to suggest that when it comes to fuel that the only thing that matters is heat certainty ignores the many other variables that others consider important.

We're going to have to agree to disagree here. The most important thing to me is consistent heat when I doing a low and slow cook. So I'll stick with briquettes.

If you want to use lump wood and get consistent heat. Fire away(pun intended).

Based on the consumption you've given for the Komodo grills I'm currently trying to figure out how to own one. I don't think my wife will be too happy with the update purchase of a fifth BBQ.

they/them/theirs

Plum is something I probably won't get again so very valuable to me :) I should have plenty of oak though and I'll see on Apple. My smoker gets very hungry for wood lol

I'd rather give you the money than the over priced bags of chunks I'll get in the Orchard.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah lumpwood all the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Looking for a couple of decent dry rub suggestions to try out on a kamado. It'll mostly be with pork but I also cook beef and lamb.

Had a brutal experience last weekend when the homemade rub I made went badly wrong, turning into a salt and peppery inedible horror show. Still trying to work out why. The eaters were happy enough as I served meat from the inside of the cut, but it was massively annoying.

So I'm going back to basics, and looking for tips!

Yours in barky bbq goodness...
    dingbat.

dingbat wrote: »
    Looking for a couple of decent dry rub suggestions to try out on a kamado. It'll mostly be with pork but I also cook beef and lamb.

Had a brutal experience last weekend when the homemade rub I made went badly wrong, turning into a salt and peppery inedible horror show. Still trying to work out why. The eaters were happy enough as I served meat from the inside of the cut, but it was massively annoying.

dingbat.

For pork I usually use Meatheads Memphis dust from amazingribs.com

For beef, I like the espresso chilli rub from Weber's "Way to Grill" book. You could do a lot worse than buying this book. Some great recipes and a huge amount of rubs, marinades and sauce recipes in the back.

they/them/theirs

dingbat wrote: »

dingbat.

For ribs I always use the BRITU rub found many years ago when I used a WSM http://virtualweberbullet.com/best-ribs-in-the-universe-by-mike-scrutchfield.html

and for pork butt I use The Renowned Mr. Brown http://virtualweberbullet.com/pork2.html

Been doing this combination for the last 10 years and has never let me down.

I've a leg of lamb on the minimax this evening, smoked with pecan wood chips. It's amazing what you can fit in this tiny egg. A large leg of lamb with 4 big spuds, aiming for 3 hours indirect at 300f with plate setter installed.

For pork, I mostly use this

The only beef I tend to smoke is corned beef for pastrami using the amazingribs recipe

Others I use:

For ribs, Bobby Flays Rib Rub here

And, when I make steak, I mostly use Montreal Steak Seasoning (McCormicks) which I always stock up on when in the States, but a home made should be equally as good.

And most importantly, the BBQ sauce. I always use the amazingribs KC Classic. What I like most about this is that it keeps in the fridge for a couple of months, not that it ever lasts that long, but easy to make a bucket of it and store in in old ketchup bottles or sterilized mason jars.

I've a leg of lamb on the minimax this evening, smoked with pecan wood chips. It's amazing what you can fit in this tiny egg. A large leg of lamb with 4 big spuds, aiming for 3 hours indirect at 300f with plate setter installed.

Looking good already, just turned the leg of lamb over. Smells good too..

Ah can you stop. You're making me starving here. Looks beautiful. #jealous

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

God damn it, I'm going to have to get some lamb for the weekend now.

For pork, I mostly use this

The only beef I tend to smoke is corned beef for pastrami using the amazingribs recipe

Others I use:

For ribs, Bobby Flays Rib Rub here

And, when I make steak, I mostly use Montreal Steak Seasoning (McCormicks) which I always stock up on when in the States, but a home made should be equally as good.

And most importantly, the BBQ sauce. I always use the amazingribs KC Classic. What I like most about this is that it keeps in the fridge for a couple of months, not that it ever lasts that long, but easy to make a bucket of it and store in in old ketchup bottles or sterilized mason jars.

That Kansas City sauce is unreal.

I highly recommend this for ribs or pulled pork. Instead of habanero peppers I use 4 scotch bonnets. I also use a cup of molasses instead of the dark corn syrup.

http://www.food.com/recipe/habanero-peach-bbq-sauce-437062

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Here's my start on the weekends cooking. Making my ground Rosemary.
    I bought the bush in lidl I think about 2 years ago and it's just grown huge for me.

I use the microwave to dry it, takes about 2.5 mins and I move it around every 20 seconds. It'll crumble easily when ready and I push it through a fine metal sieve.

Advertisement