Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Here's my start on the weekends cooking. Making my ground Rosemary.
    I bought the bush in lidl I think about 2 years ago and it's just grown huge for me.

I use the microwave to dry it, takes about 2.5 mins and I move it around every 20 seconds. It'll crumble easily when ready and I push it through a fine metal sieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Cheers for the rub (and sauce) suggestions folks. I'll give some of 'em a shot...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I'm going to have to side with Brian?/Meathead on the fuel debate - I can't gel with lumpwood at all. I've gotten mid-range stuff both here and in the US, as well as the expensive lumpwood and found crap in both - Plastic, uncharred wood, etc. as well as a huge variance in fuel size.

I recently made my first purchase from A Room Outside - Briquettes, some wood chip and wood chunks. They delivered it all very fast... In fact, a little too fast because I wasn't home and they gave it to the courier in a Green Egg box. My OH answered the door and rang me straight away thinking I'd bought another smoker!!

I've been making Franklins Espresso BBQ sauce quite a bit recently with the help of a local cafe and found it a great all rounder, worth giving a go - http://www.eater.com/2015/7/2/8864653/franklin-barbecue-sauce-recipe-meat-burgers-ribs - If anyone is Dublin based and wants a bottle of it next time I'm making up a batch, let me know.

On another note, the guys in FXB's on Moore St have become really helpful and interested towards specific cuts for smoking, I had a good chat about what I'd like in a fatty cut of brisket and for the first time ever, got exactly what I wanted in an Irish butchers. Their pork shoulders are cut a little bit on the small side to be considered Boston Butt (IMO) but are so reasonably priced it's worth picking up a few at a time.

OldBean wrote: »
    On another note, the guys in FXB's on Moore St have become really helpful and interested towards specific cuts for smoking, I had a good chat about what I'd like in a fatty cut of brisket and for the first time ever, got exactly what I wanted in an Irish butchers. Their pork shoulders are cut a little bit on the small side to be considered Boston Butt (IMO) but are so reasonably priced it's worth picking up a few at a time.
    You're lucky.

Anyone with recommendations for other Dublin butchers who provide good smoking cuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

Cocoon wrote:
    I've a leg of lamb on the minimax this evening, smoked with pecan wood chips. It's amazing what you can fit in this tiny egg. A large leg of lamb with 4 big spuds, aiming for 3 hours indirect at 300f with plate setter installed.

Looks superb!

Result?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

flended12 wrote: »
    Looks superb!

Result?

I took it off the bbq after 2.5 hours, the leg of lamb turned out nice and moist with a bit of a smoke ring. It was cooked to 160f which I think might be a little on the well done side, if I was doing it again I'd remove it at about 145-150f.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Cocoon wrote: »
    I took it off the bbq after 2.5 hours, the leg of lamb turned out nice and moist with a bit of a smoke ring. It was cooked to 160f which I think might be a little on the well done side, if I was doing it again I'd remove it at about 145-150f.

You've given me an idea. I'm going to try a low and slow lamb shoulder. I think the cut may be better suited to this type of cook than the leg.

The leg does look very tashty though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Brian? wrote: »
    You've given me an idea. I'm going to try a low and slow lamb shoulder. I think the cut may be better suited to this type of cook than the leg.

The leg does look very tashty though.

Nice recipe here

10LambSlices.jpg

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/168352/lamb-shoulder-roast-lots-of-pics

I've always thought smoking lamb (Or goat) with gorse wood would be lovely.
    Anyone with recommendations for other Dublin butchers who provide good smoking cuts?

A lot of Asian grocers have butchers with spare ribs and pork neck. Pork neck makes for great pulled pork. Someone on here mentioned Polish butchers having well cut spare ribs too.

FXB's are pretty good if you can have a chat about what you're after. Or show them the cut in a book or on your phone, but you might have to find out what days they usually get their pork/beef in so they can cut the larger pieces down. Fallon & Byrne will let you order in specific weights of whatever cut you want, but it has to be ordered in advance and it's going to be pretty pricey. Liam Whelans in Avoca in Monkstown has cuts too, but I've never been able to justify the price for large cuts like I want for BBQ. The smaller cuts I've bought have been fine, but no better than FXB's imo.

Butchers at markets can be quite good too if you have one nearby. Broughgammon does that Temple Bar market on Saturdays and have a good selection of goat and rose veal. I'd recommend smoking the goats neck and making tacos with some lettuce, tomatos and guac/hot sauce. Their goat bacon, while not good for smoking, is also delicious. The Whole Hog in the Honest2Goodness market on Saturdays has some great rear breed pork cuts, though they can be a bit smaller than what you'll get from the butchers, and still pricier.

I popped into FXB's on my way home today and grabbed a full pork shoulder, down to the ribs for 35 quid. I cut it into a Boston butt style cut for pulling, the small rack of ribs that I'll consider the chefs share while cooking the shoulder, a large sheet of skin to make into cracklin and scraped/preened off enough meat and fat from the above to get enough pork to make a few chorizo sausages.

I've always thought smoking lamb (Or goat) with gorse wood would be lovely.

A lot of Asian grocers have butchers with spare ribs and pork neck. Pork neck makes for great pulled pork. Someone on here mentioned Polish butchers having well cut spare ribs too.

FXB's are pretty good if you can have a chat about what you're after. Or show them the cut in a book or on your phone, but you might have to find out what days they usually get their pork/beef in so they can cut the larger pieces down. Fallon & Byrne will let you order in specific weights of whatever cut you want, but it has to be ordered in advance and it's going to be pretty pricey. Liam Whelans in Avoca in Monkstown has cuts too, but I've never been able to justify the price for large cuts like I want for BBQ. The smaller cuts I've bought have been fine, but no better than FXB's imo.

Butchers at markets can be quite good too if you have one nearby. Broughgammon does that Temple Bar market on Saturdays and have a good selection of goat and rose veal. I'd recommend smoking the goats neck and making tacos with some lettuce, tomatos and guac/hot sauce. Their goat bacon, while not good for smoking, is also delicious. The Whole Hog in the Honest2Goodness market on Saturdays has some great rear breed pork cuts, though they can be a bit smaller than what you'll get from the butchers, and still pricier.

I popped into FXB's on my way home today and grabbed a full pork shoulder, down to the ribs for 35 quid. I cut it into a Boston butt style cut for pulling, the small rack of ribs that I'll consider the chefs share while cooking the shoulder, a large sheet of skin to make into cracklin and scraped/preened off enough meat and fat from the above to get enough pork to make a few chorizo sausages.
    *tips BBQ glove*

That is fine, fine knowledge. Thank you muchly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Anybody know where I can buy grids for kettle bbqs in thre Meath, Dublin, Kildare area? I'm looking to buy a grid that's hinged at the end so I can throw in a few extra coals without lifting the whole grid, and maybe try a bit of smoking as well :-)

Anybody know where I can buy grids for kettle bbqs in thre Meath, Dublin, Kildare area? I'm looking to buy a grid that's hinged at the end so I can throw in a few extra coals without lifting the whole grid, and maybe try a bit of smoking as well :-)

The Orchard in Celbridge had them last time I was in.

they/them/theirs

Forget the BA forum, b&q Liffey valley...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

The Orchard in Celbridge had them last time I was in.

Jaysus that's on my way home, cheers Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

I was in the Orchard Celbridge about half an hour ago. They have them there alright. Fits the big Webers. Looked like 62 euros for the grid.

5 racks getting a bit of dry brining to see how the whiskey smoked salt goes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

niallam wrote: »
    5 racks getting a bit of dry brining to see how the whiskey smoked salt goes

Where'd you get the racks of ribs from?

unklerosco wrote: »
    Where'd you get the racks of ribs from?

Long story...
    Called into butcher on Wednesday and enquired about full racks. He said come in Friday cos fresh delivery on Friday morning.
    I know the butchers because I actually supply product (non meat) to them.
    Called in Friday, got 4 racks and drove 5 mins and stuck them in the fridge.
    6:15pm today I decided to prep them and they were stinking, proper rancid like. Disaster...
    So with rubs, sauces and my spray done up already I'd no ribs.
    Went into town, Supervalu "butcher" didn't know the difference between pork and bacon...
    Dunnes had nothing...
    It was already 7:15 now and I was truly angry, passed a Polish shop so said I'd chance it, they had a full pork butchers counter, ribs, shoulders, neck, loin etc etc

So the quick answer is in a Polish shop 😊

The lurcher got the other racks, dog is a pure savage and demolished them in 5 mins.

Pork shoulder, slathered in mustard and the rubbed with Memphis dust.

they/them/theirs

Pork shoulder, slathered in mustard and the rubbed with Memphis dust.

Do you leave the bone in Brian?
    I've tried both ways and there's no difference I found. Bone out lets you get more rub on, in and around I think.
    Cooks more evenly too :)

• Advertisement

niallam wrote: »
    Do you leave the bone in Brian?
    I've tried both ways and there's no difference I found. Bone out lets you get more rub on, in and around I think.
    Cooks more evenly too :)

Always leave the bone in.

It's more superstition than anything I reckon, but I don't like to de done shoulder of port, legs of lamb etc. I feel the bone ads something you can't get otherwise. Maybe not in BBQ, but I'm roasting.

they/them/theirs

Always leave the bone in.

It's more superstition than anything I reckon, but I don't like to de done shoulder of port, legs of lamb etc. I feel the bone ads something you can't get otherwise. Maybe not in BBQ, but I'm roasting.

Yea if I was roasting I'd always leave the bone in.
    Think if I was doing a leg of lamb in the smoker I'd leave the bone in too, never done one.
    I'll have a whole lamb coming soon for the freezer so I'll do my first 2 legs together on it.

I'd always ask for the bone to be removed unless I want to make stock or it was too awkward. It has no real impact on cooking, and just makes the butchers an extra quid or two on the joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd always ask for the bone to be removed unless I want to make stock or it was too awkward. It has no real impact on cooking, and just makes the butchers an extra quid or two on the joint.

The butcher will charge according to whether it is bone in or out.
    They will either have it priced as boneless or they will weigh it, charge and then remove the bone.

Yesterday's pulled pork worked out very well. 7.5 hours at 250F. Shoulder was on the small side. Rested wrapped in foil in a cooler box for 30 minute and it pulled with just a little resistance. Possibly could have rested the full hour.

Mixed the meat with a Mango Scotch Bonnet BBQ sauce of my own invention.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

I tried pizza on the Joe yesterday, i was happy enough, very crispy base, may need to work on my dough, it wasn't very flexible. Just flour, salt, dried yeast and water, some recipes called for sugar and oil, i may try those next time.
    I will also leave out the parchment paper and put it straight on the stone with some semolina.

12 mins @450f.

IMG_20160828_155803_1.jpg

IMG_20160828_155958_1.jpg

IMG_20160828_161407_1.jpg

IMG_20160828_155753_1.jpg

IMG_20160828_162658_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

oleras wrote: »
    ...snip...

I'm no baker, but I don't think I have ever used yeast without some sugar. I've used this bread recipe very successfully. Very pliable.
    Once the stone is HOT (600F), I throw some flour on the stone and then the pizza. 8-10 mins depending on heat.

I love the minimal pizzas (the first one - sauce/cheese/basil(?) is my type) which requires minimal cooking, but the ones with lots of topping - always harder to get a crisp base which I prefer.

Also never use parchment paper. I have vague recollections about it just sticking to the base.

One thing though - the second picture - you seem to be using two stones and I don't see any flames?

I have the pizza stone on top of the heat deflectors.

IMG_20160828_150724_1.jpg

I will try the other recipe next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

oleras wrote: »
    I tried pizza on the Joe yesterday, i was happy enough, very crispy base, may need to work on my dough, it wasn't very flexible. Just flour, salt, dried yeast and water, some recipes called for sugar and oil, i may try those next time.

You don't need oil in pizza dough but you absolutely do need sugar. The sugar is a food source for the yeast so your dough wouldn't have proved without it which would explain why it was inflexible. You should also use "strong" flour although you can use plain flour if stuck.

• Advertisement

maximum12 wrote: »
    You don't need oil in pizza dough but you absolutely do need sugar. The sugar is a food source for the yeast so your dough wouldn't have proved without it which would explain why it was inflexible. You should also use "strong" flour although you can use plain flour if stuck.

I followed an Italian pizza makers recipe, you would think they know :D

I also used strong, 00 flour. The dough balls at least doubled in size.

It must have been my technique.

Advertisement