Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah they look alright, wack up the heat to 600+ and you know not to bother with the paper again. Leave the stone in from the start, should take 5mins max for the pizza to be done.

I hope that was buffalo mozzarella!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah they look alright, wack up the heat to 600+ and you know not to bother with the paper again. Leave the stone in from the start, should take 5mins max for the pizza to be done.

I hope that was buffalo mozzarella!

2.50 for a ball of buffalo, that was moo-cow @69c....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

maximum12 wrote: »
    You don't need oil in pizza dough but you absolutely do need sugar. The sugar is a food source for the yeast so your dough wouldn't have proved without it which would explain why it was inflexible. You should also use "strong" flour although you can use plain flour if stuck.

I've never used sugar my pizza dough. Here's the Dan Lepard recipe that I use. I dust plenty of semolina on the pizza stone and on the tray to make the transfer to the kamado easier. Around 5 minutes over 600 for thin crispy perfect pizza.

Just threw on a 2.5kg pork neck using this rub.

http://bbqblvd.com/pulled-pork-how-to-smoke-pork-butt/

Going to go on a 17 mile run, come back and devour the whole thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Im half thinking of buying the 37cm smokey mountain im only getting into the whole smoking and indirect cooking.
    Would this be a good investment or should i go for the bigger one ??
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Im half thinking of buying the 37cm smokey mountain im only getting into the whole smoking and indirect cooking.
    Thanks.

I've never owned one so can't comment but I see garden house in Malahide have it discounted to €299.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Thanks.

Go big or go home ;).

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 291 ✭✭Bigbok

1st step --befriend a South African
    2nd step---- stop calling it a bbq!!Its a braai

Thanks.

In all seriousness though I'd get at least the 47cm one.

I have the 57cm. It's more than I need most of the time. But for big cooks it's phenomenal. I've done 12 racks of ribs without using a rib rack. If I got more rib racks I think I could 20+.

My mate who has the 47cm, regularly borrows mine when he's entertaining.

What I find with BBQs is that your skills and ambition will develop the longer you have a smoker, I thought all I ever needed was a kettle, this time next year you may regret not having more space on your smoker and buy a second one. Go big and you buy once.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I generally agree - always get the biggest you can, although not owning a Smokey Mountain, I would have a few questions:
      * If getting a 57cm, would you tend to feed it more fuel and if so, can you "close down the smoker so it kills the fire allowing you to reuse the unused coals again?
      * Does it retain heat well, so for example, if one was to cook a whole chicken, would you need to use more fuel than if you were cooking the same in a smaller vessel?

Assuming it makes little to no difference in cost of running for "day to day" cooking, I would also advise to get the bigger.

• Advertisement

If you're spending that much then go ceramic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

If you're spending that much then go ceramic.

Ceramic cost over 50% more???

MaceFace wrote: »
      Ceramic cost over 50% more???

You'll save it on fuel within a year, maybe 2. It's 950 for the KJ and will last the rest of your life

MaceFace wrote: »
        I generally agree - always get the biggest you can, although not owning a Smokey Mountain, I would have a few questions:
        * If getting a 57cm, would you tend to feed it more fuel and if so, can you "close down the smoker so it kills the fire allowing you to reuse the unused coals again?

I use the same amount of charcoal a 47cm would. I put a brick in the centre of the fire basket for sub 8 hour cooks. I don't need to add any fuel for anything under 8 hours, using good quality briquettes such as weber. In fact I used aldi briquettes on Sunday when I was stuck and I got 8 hours out of them.
        * Does it retain heat well, so for example, if one was to cook a whole chicken, would you need to use more fuel than if you were cooking the same in a smaller vessel?

I would never use it for a chicken. I use the kettle. But from experience it wouldn't need anymore fuel, the smokey mountain retains heat very well.
        Assuming it makes little to no difference in cost of running for "day to day" cooking, I would also advise to get the bigger.

Fuel usage isn't really an issue. I used my mates 47cm regularly before I got my 57cm and the fuel used was the same.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

The butcher will charge according to whether it is bone in or out.
        They will either have it priced as boneless or they will weigh it, charge and then remove the bone.

I was told to do it by a butcher a few years ago. Was restocking today and asked the butchers, they said for regulars they'd always give the price without the bone. YMMV

Bigbok wrote: »
        1st step --befriend a South African
        2nd step---- stop calling it a bbq!!Its a braai

Unless you're doing it American style, in which case it's all about the BBQ! Very different styles - if consider Braai to be much more akin to grilling.
        Thanks.

I'd say go for the 47 - pretty much same fuel use and more room to play with. I have the 57 and find its not near as efficient as the smaller ones unless you're taking full advantage of the space.

Or go ceramic as suggested.

I see pallas foods are opening a click and collect center down here in Limerick, they already have one in Dublin, seems to be wholesale prices on meat. Does anyone know if they are open to the public ? I can register as a customer without a VAT number so i will assume yes, would be handy is so.

oleras wrote: »
        I see pallas foods are opening a click and collect center down here in Limerick, they already have one in Dublin, seems to be wholesale prices on meat. Does anyone know if they are open to the public ? I can register as a customer without a VAT number so i will assume yes, would be handy is so.

Feck sake I paid €7 a kg for my pork neck.

Guys, when you say an Irish butcher can't do good pork shoulder or ribs, what is the problem with the cuts ? Want to try and explain to my local guy. Thanks

I've never used sugar my pizza dough. Here's the Dan Lepard recipe that I use. I dust plenty of semolina on the pizza stone and on the tray to make the transfer to the kamado easier. Around 5 minutes over 600 for thin crispy perfect pizza.

Yeah sorry, I was wrong about the mandatory sugar. The sugar will give the yeast a strong start and increase cell count but it will still ferment without the sugar.

The recipe I use has pinch of sugar, no oil, a good 10 minutes of kneading and then an hour resting. I see yours has repeated light kneading but a good bit longer resting.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Oldums strong flour has 1.4% naturally occuring sugar, 75.3% carbs overall.

• Advertisement

Feck sake I paid €7 a kg for my pork neck.

I just got myself a lump of it, from Polonez, Polish shop down here, 4.99/KG

IMG_20160831_181601_1.jpg

Ill get it rubbed later and stick it on in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

For anyone interested I'm gonna be sticking my 47cm WSM on adverts in the next few days..

unklerosco wrote: »
        For anyone interested I'm gonna be sticking my 47cm WSM on adverts in the next few days..

Whatcha buying?

they/them/theirs

oleras wrote: »
        I just got myself a lump of it, from Polonez, Polish shop down here, 4.99/KG

IMG_20160831_181601_1.jpg

Ill get it rubbed later and stick it on in the morning.

What's all this pork neck business? Are you treating it like shoulder?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Brian? wrote: »
        unklerosco wrote: »

Whatcha buying?

Haven't decided yet.. I've too many BBQ's, missus will kill me if I buy another one without selling one first so something has to go..

Brian? wrote: »
        What's all this pork neck business? Are you treating it like shoulder?

It seems to have as many muscle groups as shoulder so lots of connective tissue and a nice lump of fat on it.

Just rubbed it up same as a shoulder and in the fridge now.

How long did you cook yours for RasTa ?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Beech and Apple
        Beech was a log I'd in the shed all year so well seasoned, Apple got cut today so be ready in a few weeks, I'll put it in work close to a machine with huge heat output and it'll dry in no time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

unklerosco wrote:

I might be interested if youre anywhere near me and the price is right.

I was looking for a half moon cast iron griddle for the Joe classic last night and came across this one on the Uk Amazon, i then came across the same one on the the German site, half the price, a fiver to post it over here.

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I almost prefer neck to shoulder especially if it's only for 3/4 people - it's a lovely cut :)

TKMax can be great for random BBQ gear. I've gotten some great boning knives, cast iron pans and even hickory chips in there. Would always spin by before ordering on Amazon on the off chance.

Advertisement