Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

maximum12 wrote: »
    Guys, when you say an Irish butcher can't do good pork shoulder or ribs, what is the problem with the cuts ? Want to try and explain to my local guy. Thanks

A lot of butchers will assume you mean bacon, not pork. Or baby back ribs, not spare.

Ask for X racks of spare ribs of pork, and confirm its not cured. Then if you're brought out a selection, check there's a solid amount of meat on the top side, with no bone showing through.

If your butcher is sound, ask him to remove the silver from the bottom of the ribs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

oleras wrote: »
    It seems to have as many muscle groups as shoulder so lots of connective tissue and a nice lump of fat on it.

Just rubbed it up same as a shoulder and in the fridge now.

How long did you cook yours for RasTa ?

I took it off at 207f. Gave it the Texas Crutch(wrapped in foil) about 150. I'd take it off at 197f next time. Did let it rest for the full hour too.

6 or 7 hours should do it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use pork neck all the time for pulled pork, it's a great cut for slow cooking and has lots of flavour. It's used a lot to make shashlik kebabs on the bbq in Russia, Lithuania etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Lit the coals around 08.30 this morning, gave it an hour to stabalise a bit and then put the pork on at 250f

Temp rose to around 300f for a while but after closing off the bottom vent to the thickness of a coin and the daisy wheel around 75% closed its settled around 275. Seemingly it will take a good few long cooks to season the cooker to achieve 225-250, and my impatience to turn dials may subside. :pac:

This is the rub i used.

Oklahoma Joe’s Pulled Pork BBQ Recipe
    Ingredients

1/4 cup salt
    1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    2 tablespoons onion powder
    2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 tablespoon celery salt
    1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
    1 teaspoon dried thyme

IMG_20160831_191202_1.jpg

IMG_20160901_083712_1.jpg

IMG_20160901_093810_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

niallam wrote: »
    Beech and Apple
    Beech was a log I'd in the shed all year so well seasoned,
    <snip>

Nice spalting on the beech.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You've got enough fuel in there for 20hrs, also for some reason if you're not eating it all tonight save the water bath juice for re-heating the stuff in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

oleras wrote: »
    Lit the coals around 08.30 this morning, gave it an hour to stabalise a bit and then put the pork on at 250f

Temp rose to around 300f for a while but after closing off the bottom vent to the thickness of a coin and the daisy wheel around 75% closed its settled around 275. Seemingly it will take a good few long cooks to season the cooker to achieve 225-250, and my impatience to turn dials may subside. :pac:

This is the rub i used.

Oklahoma Joe’s Pulled Pork BBQ Recipe
    Ingredients

1/4 cup salt
    1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    2 tablespoons onion powder
    2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 tablespoon celery salt
    1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
    1 teaspoon dried thyme

IMG_20160831_191202_1.jpg

IMG_20160901_083712_1.jpg

IMG_20160901_093810_1.jpg

That seems like a lot of wood for the amount of meat. I'd be nervous about over smoking the meat.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    That seems like a lot of wood for the amount of meat. I'd be nervous about over smoking the meat.

Its only apple so very mild...I hope. :pac:

Just foiled it at the 5 hour and 165f mark.

IMG_20160901_141654_1.jpg

IMG_20160901_141823_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

8 hours in, somewhere around 170f now.
    Probably 3/4 hours left to go.

httc40.jpg

11:15 in now
    Another 1/2 hour maybe and hours rest.

Only bad thing is I could cook 12 in roughly the same time as only 2, biggest problem is keeping the smoker at 225, it always wants to be hotter :)

• Advertisement

Here's 1 just before pulling

1 pulled, used a fairly basic finishing sauce over it and turned out amazing.
    This one took 14 hours, the other one was done after 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Managed to get a loan of a small kettle bbq and I'm heading down to good ole wexford. What sort of coal should I be looking at? I really only plan on cooking a few steaks/sausages. Thanks!

marko93 wrote: »
    Managed to get a loan of a small kettle bbq and I'm heading down to good ole wexford. What sort of coal should I be looking at? I really only plan on cooking a few steaks/sausages. Thanks!

If you're just grilling then any will do you really, you'll only be cooking for 10/15 minutes probably so buy the smallest and cheapest bag of lumpwood or nuggets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've no experience of BBQ, just grilling.
    I've done lots of slow roasting in the oven.

My question:
    I look at lots of pics here and elsewhere with lots of people getting very excited about the "bark". Now, I like a nice char but lots of these cuts just look burnt to me. Are they not horrendously bitter and burnt tasting?

Some years ago I followed a recipe for a 24 hour slow cooked shoulder of pork (in a low oven with a spiced rub) . All my instincts said to cover it but I went along with the recipe which made no mention of covering it. The result was black, burnt, bitter shoulder of pork. The guests were very polite about it but the shoulder was ruined for me. (inside was lovely)

Am I missing something or is proper BBQ just not for me?
    I also despise the universal use of Fahrenheit temperature scale!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

It's not charing.. The meat is not in direct heat to get char'd.. The cooking temps are very low too...it may look burnt but it's not...the rub goes that colour... Alot of sugar in most rubs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's not charing.. The meat is not in direct heat to get char'd.. The cooking temps are very low too...it may look burnt but it's not...the rub goes that colour... Alot of sugar in most rubs

My shoulder of pork had a very low cooking temperature too. It looked burnt and tasted burnt.
    Sugar burns and gets very bitter.

I guess charring was the wrong term.

My shoulder of pork had a very low cooking temperature too. It looked burnt and tasted burnt.
    Sugar burns and gets very bitter.

I guess charring was the wrong term.

The sugar caramelise but it doesn't taste burnt or bitter .. Slightly crunchy, hence the name bark.. Think sweet, spicy and smokey.. I wouldn't go to the hassle of smoking meat for 12 hours if it tasted burnt and bitter.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/bark.html

Good article on bbq bark

Smoke particles stick to the goo and change its color. "Without smoke, bark usually becomes a dark mahogany red, depending on what is in the rub," says Blonder. "With smoke and enough time, it can be transformed into a licorice-black, shiny lacquer." That's why the bark on a pork shoulder or beef brisket can make your meal look like a meteor, but there is no carbon burned flavor. Burnt ends, the tasty candylike parts of brisket that aficionados fight over, aren't really burnt, they are just bite-size cubes of beef covered in dark bark.

• Advertisement

niallam wrote: »

From the june weekend.

IMG_20160604_220941.jpg

Apple ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Has anyone used the Weber BBQ stone with any degree of success, just had second disaster outing this evening , had to order in Pizza !

Ribs for lunch yesterday
    The 2 coats of BBQ sauce in the last hour really changes the colour :)

Are there any deals around on bbq briquettes or coals?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

A friend is coming to stay at the weekend and I told her I'd cook anything she'd like (she's been through a rough time so I feel like treating her).
    She said she'd love some BBQ ribs.

I need your help, friends!
    I assume I ask for a rack of pork ribs, as opposed to bacon ribs?
    And what size?
    She'll be the only one eating them because I don't really like them; do I ask for half a rack?

And how to marinate and flavour them?
    She wants the BBQ style you get in restaurants so I'd like to do my best.

I'd appreciate your help and thanks in advance :)

EDIT: I will be doing them in the oven, by the way.

Aldi do oven ready ribs, around 4 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

fussyonion wrote: »
    A friend is coming to stay at the weekend and I told her I'd cook anything she'd like (she's been through a rough time so I feel like treating her).
    She said she'd love some BBQ ribs.

I need your help, friends!
    I assume I ask for a rack of pork ribs, as opposed to bacon ribs?
    And what size?
    She'll be the only one eating them because I don't really like them; do I ask for half a rack?

And how to marinate and flavour them?
    She wants the BBQ style you get in restaurants so I'd like to do my best.

I'd appreciate your help and thanks in advance :)

EDIT: I will be doing them in the oven, by the way.

Hi, easiest way is to get some Ribworld-style pre-cooked ribs. They've basically done all the hard work for you by sous-vide'ing them until tender and providing the sauce. Just follow the instructions and you should be grand.

Second-easiest way would be to buy a rack of pork back "baby back" ribs - (NOT bacon ribs!). Ask the butcher to remove the membrane for you, or look up how to do it yourself. The night before you want them, rub them with salt (about the same amount as you'd use if you were about to eat them right there!). The next day you can put a spice rub on them if you want (plenty of ideas online) or paint them with barbecue sauce. Now seal them in an oven dish with foil and braise for a few hours. You'll know it's time when you can turn a rib in the center of the rack and it comes away cleanly from the bone. Take the ribs out of the dish and put them on a baking tray. Apply more sauce and grill or bake for a short while to finish.

Third way is to dive down the BBQ rabbit hole, starting with www.amazingribs.com :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

My question:
    I look at lots of pics here and elsewhere with lots of people getting very excited about the "bark". Now, I like a nice char but lots of these cuts just look burnt to me. Are they not horrendously bitter and burnt tasting?

Some years ago I followed a recipe for a 24 hour slow cooked shoulder of pork (in a low oven with a spiced rub) . All my instincts said to cover it but I went along with the recipe which made no mention of covering it. The result was black, burnt, bitter shoulder of pork. The guests were very polite about it but the shoulder was ruined for me. (inside was lovely)

24 hours sounds like a awfully long time for any uncovered cut of meat.. it's going to dry out (and get over-smoked also).

The bark is mostly a reaction of the very top layer of the meat and the spice rub to the cooking temperature and smoke. The flavour should be a caramelised version of whatever went into the rub or sauce. It shouldn't be very thick or hard, unless the meat has dried out. I've attached a pic of a bone-in pork belly I did recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭thereitisgone

My question:

Hi, yes i have slow cooked meat for years and as you are i was very sceptical of the bark, i am currently 8 hours into what i think will be a 10 hour smoke. This is my first year doing real BBQ but its my fourth pork butt, ya it is that good.
    I started with softer smoke woods like apple and grew braver with what i put on the meat nowadays hickory is a must for pig, nothing comes close and alder or apple for fish, but as you get to do proper BBQ and trust the taste you become more adventurous.
    Bark is the taste, its the difference between cooking it in a slow cooker and going to a texas smoke pit.
    Try it, it will soon become an obsession

Advertisement