Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

I've got a 5 pound beef chuck smoking in the kamado at the moment. Pics later...

Done. Absolutely fantastic.

fitz wrote: »

Looks delicious, what time is lunch? :D

Great warm morning out there so maybe this will be one of the last days of good BBQ weather for a while.

Looks delicious, what time is lunch? :D

Great warm morning out there so maybe this will be one of the last days of good BBQ weather for a while.

Bah, to hell with weather, I'm gonna be using the kamado right through the winter...

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭thereitisgone

Your bark looks really good, what rub did you use and what did you add later

• Advertisement

Made a slather with oil, Coleman's yellow hot dog mustard, and soft brown sugar. Brushed that on liberally and then used the rub here (without the garlic):

http://www.weber.com/recipes/pork/coffee-rubbed-ribs-with-coffee-barbecue-sauce

Smoked over lumpwood with some mesquite chunks at 250F, took nearly 15 hours to hit 195F internal temp. If you want to try a cheaper and easier alternative to brisket, getting a big piece of chuck is definitely a cook worth giving a go...

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭thereitisgone

Made a slather with oil, Coleman's yellow hot dog mustard, and soft brown sugar. Brushed that on liberally and then used the rub here (without the garlic):

Smoked over lumpwood with some mesquite chunks at 250F, took nearly 15 hours to hit 195F internal temp. If you want to try a cheaper and easier alternative to brisket, getting a big piece of chuck is definitely a cook worth giving a go...
    Ok so you put the colemans, oil and brown sugar on before the rub, i have been doing it differently, normally the rub first, 24 hours before and as it cooks spraying it with apple juice in the last third of cooking, but i found this was just wasteful, it just ran off the meat.
    Last time i went for my old practice from marinating meat for grilling of mixing honey and soya sauce and brushing that on a few times near the last third of the smoke and got a better bark than before but will definitely think about your method.
    Great thread, very interesting to hear different ways of getting to the perfect smoke.
    Definitely not obsessive pastime at all.:angel:

Also how was the Mesquite have been so tempted to try it but have been put off by research that it is so strong, actually had a bag in the basket couple of weeks ago but decided against it in the end. Am in Finland so smoking here is very common, but was afraid the mesquite might be a bit too strong for some guests.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Muat give it a go. But I'd expect to pay more per kg for chuck than brisket.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Ok so you put the colemans, oil and brown sugar on before the rub, i have been doing it differently, normally the rub first, 24 hours before and as it cooks spraying it with apple juice in the last third of cooking, but i found this was just wasteful, it just ran off the meat.
    Last time i went for my old practice from marinating meat for grilling of mixing honey and soya sauce and brushing that on a few times near the last third of the smoke and got a better bark than before but will definitely think about your method.
    Great thread, very interesting to hear different ways of getting to the perfect smoke.
    Definitely not obsessive pastime at all.:angel:

Also how was the Mesquite have been so tempted to try it but have been put off by research that it is so strong, actually had a bag in the basket couple of weeks ago but decided against it in the end. Am in Finland so smoking here is very common, but was afraid the mesquite might be a bit too strong for some guests.

Yeah, the slather gives the rub something to stick more easily to, also makes it much easier to see where and how much rub you've shaken on. You could use French's mustard, I used the Coleman's cause the missus is allergic to garlic, and French's has garlic in it. Have used Dijon before too.

Mesquite definitely isn't subtle, but I only use about 3 chunks, and maybe a couple of extra chips from the bottom of the bag. Its a spicy kind of smoke, I like it. Try it out and just go easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Ribs smoked with apple and hickory and triple glazed with a Jack Daniels sauce.
    My best ones yet (",)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

niallam wrote: »
    Ribs smoked with apple and hickory and triple glazed with a Jack Daniels sauce.
    My best ones yet (",)

These look very nice. Moist too. Would you mind sharing the recipe and method?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

surball wrote: »
    These look very nice. Moist too. Would you mind sharing the recipe and method?

Can't share the recipes really, weeks and weeks of practice for competing at the big grill next year and trying to get them better every time ðŸ‘
    My own rub and BBQ sauce.

Method is roughly the 3-2-1 method, my smoker is a reverse flow and if I stack the ribs I could fit 20+ racks on at the 1 time but I usually only cook about 10 racks and they fit perfectly all flat on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

^ Get out

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Great price with the sterling now, urge to purchase a large kettle and smokey mountain intense.

beertons wrote: »
    Great price with the sterling now, urge to purchase a large kettle and smokey mountain intense.

Hold off and get a kamado.
    You won't regret spending the extra cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭budgemook

Sorry if this is not the right thread but it seems like it is. Poster above just suggested a Kamodo over a kettle smoker. Is that the general consensus? I've been considering getting a Kamodo (big green egg or kamodo joe probably) for some time and the sterling price might just push that over the line but a friend of mine in America who has been big into the smoking and barbecuing for years suggested a combo grill smoker instead (LINK) and said that Kamodos are great but can be difficult to cool down if they get too hot.

Any thoughts on this?

budgemook wrote: »
    Sorry if this is not the right thread but it seems like it is. Poster above just suggested a Kamodo over a kettle smoker. Is that the general consensus? I've been considering getting a Kamodo (big green egg or kamodo joe probably) for some time and the sterling price might just push that over the line but a friend of mine in America who has been big into the smoking and barbecuing for years suggested a combo grill smoker instead (LINK) and said that Kamodos are great but can be difficult to cool down if they get too hot.

Any thoughts on this?

This is true.
    If you let the temp go over your target for too long, it can take a while to get it back down, but that's also because retaining heat is one of the ceramic's strengths...it's why i can do a 15 hour cook on one load of charcoal and still have maybe a third of the charcoal or more that I can re-use on the next cook.

There's more effort involved than the convenience of a gas bbq, but you won't get the same 600F+ temperatures off a gas burner for searing steak either. I've baked bread, cooked pizza, smoked and grilled meat and veg on my Kamado Joe...the versatility is one of the reasons it's worth the money.

This is true.
    If you let the temp go over your target for too long, it can take a while to get it back down, but that's also because retaining heat is one of the ceramic's strengths...it's why i can do a 15 hour cook on one load of charcoal and still have maybe a third of the charcoal or more that I can re-use on the next cook.

There's more effort involved than the convenience of a gas bbq, but you won't get the same 600F+ temperatures off a gas burner for searing steak either. I've baked bread, cooked pizza, smoked and grilled meat and veg on my Kamado Joe...the versatility is one of the reasons it's worth the money.

Thanks. Can be got for under €1000 euros up north at the moment. Very tempting. Versatility would be a big selling point for me. I'm mainly after something for slow cooking but being able to cook Pizza at super high temperatures too? Shut up and take my money.

Hold off and get a kamado.
    You won't regret spending the extra cash.

On which one?

On which one?

I've got the Kamado Joe Classic, as does Oleras on here too. You get more included with the Joe than with a Big Green Egg, and the BGE accessories stay to track up cost wise. The KJ is much better value imo.

• Advertisement

I've got the Kamado Joe Classic, as does Oleras on here too. You get more included with the Joe than with a Big Green Egg, and the BGE accessories stay to track up cost wise. The KJ is much better value imo.

Is the Kamado Joe 18" big enough for a 12lb Turkey, or would you need the Big Joe?

I'd say so...

My finger is hovering over the purchase button. So am I dropping the smokey mountain, and getting the kettle or is the joe a dual player?

My finger is hovering over the purchase button. So am I dropping the smokey mountain, and getting the kettle or is the joe a dual player?

Dual player...
    Anything you can do in a kettle you should be able to do in a kamado.
    If you do get one, woodfuel.ie is your place to go for restaurant grade lumpwood charcoal to use in it.

Where are you buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Is the Kamado Joe 18" big enough for a 12lb Turkey, or would you need the Big Joe?

Size wise, apparently you can go up to 20lb in the classic:
    http://www.kamadojoe.com/mojoe/mojoe1211.html

Where are you buying?

I was looking on keengardener.co.uk, but if anyone has another suggestion, I'll look there too. The classic Joe is £938.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I was looking on keengardener.co.uk, but if anyone has another suggestion, I'll look there too. The classic Joe is £938.

£900 here

https://shop.cdsf.co.uk/product-category/outdoor-living/kamado-joe-clay-ovens/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Dont forget to include shipping, i was quoted £100 from Russums !

http://pricespy.co.uk/product.php?p=1095793

Once you go over £1050 you are nearly on parity with an Irish site., i went with outdoor.ie after i was quoted the 100 to ship from the UK, the savings i was making at that stage were negligible and i got more peace of mind purchasing from an Irish supplier in case anything went wrong.

• Advertisement

I'll be buying one in about a month. Will see how sterling is looking then and make a decision on whether to get one somewhere in Dublin or to make the short trip up North. I'd rather buy locally but if savings are around 200 euros then I might make the trip.

If I am going to travel I'll post here. I could always pick up a second one and split travel costs or something.

Advertisement