Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭thereitisgone

Just put a pork but on, followed your advice Fitz and put the mustard on first, will see what we have in about ten hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

oleras wrote: »
    Dont forget to include shipping, i was quoted £100 from Russums !

http://pricespy.co.uk/product.php?p=1095793

Once you go over £1050 you are nearly on parity with an Irish site., i went with outdoor.ie after i was quoted the 100 to ship from the UK, the savings i was making at that stage were negligible and i got more peace of mind purchasing from an Irish supplier in case anything went wrong.

They are €999 at O'Dwyers in Cork which with shipping and XE is cheaper than UK and in August they were selling with 25% discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

BailMeOut wrote: »
    They are €999 at O'Dwyers in Cork which with shipping and XE is cheaper than UK and in August they were selling with 25% discount.

Any Chance of a link, I cant find it on their site.

That site could do with a bit of work ! Did you see if they have the Joe Jnr down there ? brother is looking for one.

oleras wrote: »
    Any Chance of a link, I cant find it on their site.

sorry - my bad - O'Dwyers are selling Berghoff brand at €999.

see attached for a photo.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

Just put a pork but on, followed your advice Fitz and put the mustard on first, will see what we have in about ten hours.

How'd this work out? Any pics for us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

6 racks on today (",)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I grilled Wagu beef yesterday. Forgot to take pictures. It was phenomenal meat.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    I grilled Wagu beef yesterday. Forgot to take pictures. It was phenomenal meat.

where did you get Wagu beef?

BailMeOut wrote: »
    where did you get Wagu beef?

James Whelan butchers. They deliver.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

Hi Lads, I managed to get a deal on a 22" Smokey Mountain over the weekend and so I'll be giving it a whirl over the weekend. Any recommendations (in Dublin) on where to get good, meaty BB ribs? My go to place closed a few months back, they did excellent ribs :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

Shred wrote: »
    Hi Lads, I managed to get a deal on a 22" Smokey Mountain over the weekend and so I'll be giving it a whirl over the weekend. Any recommendations (in Dublin) on where to get good, meaty BB ribs? My go to place closed a few months back, they did excellent ribs :(
    Fallon & Byrne - I got 6 racks for 15 last week. Very nice ribs.

Thanks, I'll give them a shout.

surball wrote: »

That seems insanely cheap! What ribs were they?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

Brian? wrote: »
    surball wrote: »

That seems insanely cheap! What ribs were they?
    Baby back ribs. In fact you might not class them as a full rack - so maybe a half rack. Either way very tasty ribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

5er a full rack if they were half racks.. That's fairly expensive for baby backs.

5er a full rack if they were half racks.. That's fairly expensive for baby backs.

This rib pricing is an emotional roller coaster

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

It's Fallon and Byrne. Reassuringly expensive.

If you want meaty ribs, go for spare instead of baby back.

I'd prefer BB personally as they're more lean. It really is a shame the place I used to get them from closed, you wouldn't believe the amount of meat on them.

Season it properly first.
    Think Harry Soo has some good instructions somewhere online.

After that go by the weight of your ribs.
    €6kg for "St Louis" is a good price but you only want to be using 8/900g racks.

I don't bother with BB ribs at all.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'll be seasoning it first alright.

"€6kg for "St Louis" is a good price but you only want to be using 8/900g racks."

Where do you get yours, even if it's not Dublin?

Yeah I'll be seasoning it first alright.

"€6kg for "St Louis" is a good price but you only want to be using 8/900g racks."

Where do you get yours, even if it's not Dublin?

Nowhere special, just order them from local butcher.
    They come from Midland Pork and Bacon I think

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

On another tack completely ... this summer I bought a Weber Q 1200, cracking piece of kit for just the two of us, and as it was new, and I wasn't sure if it would be suitable, I ran it on cartridges for the first few times. I'll probably invest in a larger gas bottle next season, but my immediate question is, what do you do regarding ...

a) storage of new and partly used cartridges, i.e. are they safe once partly used, to store in a shed or workshop?

and b) how do you get rid of the completely empty ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Usually use a headtorch for darkness BBQ chef stuff.

Anyone have a lamp attached to a Kamado Joe or Green Egg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Has anyone experience of the rotisserie accessories for Weber BBQs? Specifically looking at the Spirit one for my E210.

I have one but for a different weber. The key thing with rotisserie and specifically for chicken is that you need to be able to do indirect heat directly under it. If you try rotisserie a chicken with heat under it it will go in fire. My weber has three grills going from left to right so I can turn off the middle one and just adjust the inside and outside ones so the chicken will roast really well with no fat fires. You also need to get good at tying or trussing the chicken as you cannot have its legs and wings moving as it rotates. When doing beef I always leave a cast iron pan under it with some potatoes in it which catch any drippings and roast to perfection!

Posted over on the Christmas dinner thread, but wasn't sure how many fellow BBQ posters would be on there...
    fitz wrote: »
    I did the turkey on our Kamado Joe.
    Had been reading that you should brine, but I'm with the article that someone linked to earlier in this thread, it's a lot of effort for a less tasty meat.

Took the bird out of the fridge as I set up the fire, using lumpwood charcoal and a few chunks of hickory. Separated the skin from the breasts and stuffed about a half pound of softened butter in on each side.

Rubbed melted butter on the outside, seasoned with salt and pepper, cut three lemons in half and stuck them into the cavity.

Into the kamado at 350F, pulled it when the internal temp hit 165F.

C0iqrh1XgAAPCWp.jpg

Total butterball. Tasty, moist, beautiful juices that made incredible gravy with a stock made from veg and giblets.

Had it with sprout/granny smith apple/cranberry/toasted pecan slaw, stuffing balls and roasters roasted in goose fat, smoked ham done in coke in the slow cooker.

Overeating heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

This is my spatchcocked 5kg bird ready to come off the grill. I smoked it in my WSM with oak at about 325f.

I recommend dry-brining (basically rubbing the breast, thighs and drumsticks with salt under the skin) and leaving uncovered in the fridge over night. For the skin itself I rubbed with oil and then a little salt, pepper and thyme just before the cook.

I made stock for the gravy separately with the giblets, wing tips and backbone as smoked stock can be pretty powerful. The dish below the bird caught enough fat to make a great roux to kick things off though.

t4I8NhQ.jpg

Starting 2017 as I mean to continue...
    Pork chops on the bone. Set up the kamado with the heat deflector under the back half of the grill, got the dome temp to 350F and put the cops on the back of the grill for 15 minutes of indirect cooking.

Threw a chunk of apple wood on the coals as I was putting the chops on to get some smoke going. Opened the grates after about 13 minutes to start cranking the heat. Got it up over 500F and then gave the chops two minutes a side over the flames.

Rested for 5 minutes, they were great. Moist and tender with a touch of smoke.
    Definitely a cook to repeat.

C1GVqEXWQAADISY.jpg

• Advertisement

I did my first brisket on Saturday, I wanted to do it without wrapping after watching this video but it stalled at 151f for about 2 hours and so I had to, but it turned out pretty well.

Advertisement