Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Shred wrote: »
    I did my first brisket on Saturday, I wanted to do it without wrapping after watching this video but it stalled at 151f for about 2 hours and so I had to, but it turned out pretty well.

That's a nice thick brisket! :) Where do you source your meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

great smoke ring,looks very tasty. what did you cook it on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭budgemook

yeah looks great - very moist looking and great rings. Was there a water bath involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

Dr_Teeth wrote: »
    That's a nice thick brisket! :) Where do you source your meat?

I got it from FXBs Moore Street; it wasn't cheap @ €10.99 per KG but it was damn good meat imo.
    FCB1899 wrote: »
    great smoke ring,looks very tasty. what did you cook it on ?

On a Weber Smokey Mountain over Weber briquettes with a few hickory wood chunks keeping it, more or less, at 225F throughout a 9 hour cook (thanks to the stall). I did ribs and a chicken at the same time for the hell of it; the ribs were the best I've done so far (still a way to go to get them where I want), the chicken was quite nice but I'll be reverting back to the kettle for it in future as it was a little too long coming up to temp and that ever so slightly dried it out.
    budgemook wrote: »
    yeah looks great - very moist looking and great rings. Was there a water bath involved?

Yeah I filled the water bath to about two thirds, it was lovely and moist alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

look what I got today. I have no idea how to use it so any tips would be appreciated!

YM4bxmi.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Fair play. Well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭budgemook

Where did you get it? Did they have Kamado Joes?

budgemook wrote: »
    Where did you get it? Did they have Kamado Joes?

These folks (who are excellent)

https://aroomoutside.ie/big-green-egg/

There are two Kamado Joes dealers in Dublin and they were both a lot more expensive that Green Egg (which surprised me).

Dessert!

So cooked a few meals over last few nights on my egg and seems a shame that there is really nice heat left in the egg while we are eating so got me thinking that I need to figure out a dessert I can pop in there and let it cook / bake and be ready shortly after everyone in finished eating. Something not too heavy that can be served warm straight from the egg with ice cream would be good. Anyone any ideas what might work?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Dessert!

So cooked a few meals over last few nights on my egg and seems a shame that there is really nice heat left in the egg while we are eating so got me thinking that I need to figure out a dessert I can pop in there and let it cook / bake and be ready shortly after everyone in finished eating. Something not too heavy that can be served warm straight from the egg with ice cream would be good. Anyone any ideas what might work?

Sear pineapple slices and then roast them in the some sugar and rum syrup. You can roast in the he resulidual best of the egg while it is cooling down. Lovely with ice cream

• Advertisement

[font=arial, sans-serif]Anyone know where I can get reasonably priced natural firelighters? I used to buy the [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]Maguire [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]and Patterson ones, but they dont seem to be on sale anymore. The Big Green Egg branded ones are far too expensive.[/font]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

surball wrote: »
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Anyone know where I can get reasonably priced natural firelighters? I used to buy the [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]Maguire [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]and Patterson ones, but they dont seem to be on sale anymore. The Big Green Egg branded ones are far too expensive.[/font]

I wouldn't worry too much about the composition of my fire lighters. The Weber ones are excellent.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »

I wouldn't worry too much about the composition of my fire lighters. The Weber ones are excellent.
    Thanks for responding but worrying about the composition is quite important for me. If there are chemicals in the lighters, like those weber ones, then those residue from those chemicals will end up in the ceramic of my bbq.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Likewise. I would only use fuel where I was 100% of what was in it, but I haven't looked at the Weber ones myself so can't comment.

Just out of interest - why use natural firelighters? Is it for a slow cook that you want an initial slow burn?
    That's the only reason I use them. Otherwise a chimney, newspaper and charcoal to get it started...

MaceFace wrote: »
    Likewise. I would only use fuel where I was 100% of what was in it, but I haven't looked at the Weber ones myself so can't comment.

Just out of interest - why use natural firelighters? Is it for a slow cook that you want an initial slow burn?
    That's the only reason I use them. Otherwise a chimney, newspaper and charcoal to get it started...
    Ive been using natural firelighters out of habit, it's what I used in my stove also. I use them for all my cooks, adding more firelighters if I want a higher temperature faster. I dont have a chimney starter and dont really want to buy one. I prefer do it all in the Egg and they recommend only natural fire lighters.

Thanks for responding but worrying about the composition is quite important for me. If there are chemicals in the lighters, like those weber ones, then those residue from those chemicals will end up in the ceramic of my bbq.

Aren't the Weber lighters just parafin oil?

they/them/theirs

Google the MSDS for the Weber fire lighters. They're blocks of parafin wax. I'm wondering what chemicals do you need to worry about?

Any fire lighter will have an accelerant in them.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Google the MSDS for the Weber fire lighters. They're blocks of parafin wax. I'm wondering what chemicals do you need to worry about?

Any fire lighter will have an accelerant in them.
    Thanks for that information I will take a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just get a chimney starter

if worried about what is in the firelighters (or the taste they can put on food) then two alternative options are either a Chimney starter or an Electric Starter. The chimneys just need paper to light the charcoal and the electric ones work great if you can get power to your BBQ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

I use one of the LIDL weed burners to light up, works well with lumpwood.

download.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Definitely get a chimney lighter. It'll completely change the speed you're getting your BBQ going. The Weber ones are just fine, especially once you're using a chimney.

If I'm stuck, I'll fill the bottom of the chimney with the paper from the charcoal bags. Works a treat. Again, no flavours, once the chimney is fully up and going.

But if you really want to get away from any potential flavours, it'd be worth looking at something like the Looftlighter. I got one for a friend for Christmas and he's found it great.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Dessert!

i highly recommend a chocolate brownie

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

i use those M&P ones too - bought most recently in Woodies and Super Valu

dingbat wrote: »
    i use those M&P ones too - bought most recently in Woodies and Super Valu

Cheers. They used to have them in Tesco but haven't in a long time. I did see them on the Woodies website during the last week so I ordered a whole load of them as they were only 1.99 per pack. But they got back to me to tell me that they are no longer doing them.

Pork shoulder and baby back ribs cooked low and slow yesterday on big green egg. Used hickory chips and some apple wood chunks.

Finished the ribs off with BBQ sauce on my Weber gas BBQ. Also had some very tasty tandoori prawns.

where so you you typically buy charcoal? I went to three stores (in Cork) on Saturday and all said charcoal is seasonal and will not be in until summer! The Weber place was closed by the time I got there and would assume they sell charcoal year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

I get mine from woodfuel.ie .

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

Me too. Excellent stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Me too, been dealing with John a good few years now and he never let us down.

Advertisement