Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I should have bought it when I saw it, and got it delivered on a pallet. Typical that me insurance renewal came in yesterday morning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

You can get the large green egg from Limerick supplier for not much more than this and they will ship for free if you ask nicely.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

BailMeOut wrote: »
    You can get the large green egg from Limerick supplier for not much more than this and they will ship for free if you ask nicely.

I've kinda made up my mind now that I want a big Joe. If I got an egg, I'd always have the feels for changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Pity they don't advertise the egg prices so someone could do their own side by side comparisons.

oleras wrote: »
    Pity they don't advertise the egg prices so someone could do their own side by side comparisons.

I got pricing for both in Ireland just recently

Big Green Egg with stand €1260 (incl VAT)
    (Egg €804.88, Nest/Stand €243)

Classic Joe 18" w/cart, shelves, deflector & tools €1703.07 (incl VAT)

Ended up getting the green egg from Limerick from A Room Outside and they were excellent. I also asked for and got free delivery and two bags of charcoal.

• Advertisement

Ended up getting the green egg from Limerick from A Room Outside and they were excellent. I also asked for and got free delivery and two bags of charcoal.

The classic Joe price is incorrect ! https://www.outdoor.ie/product/kamado-joe-classic-bbq/

Maybe the big Joe is that price ?

The classic Joe price is incorrect ! https://www.outdoor.ie/product/kamado-joe-classic-bbq/

Maybe the big Joe is that price ?

I did a copy/paste from the PDF quote that they sent me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭budgemook

Classic Joe from outdoor.ie is 1200. I have been talking to them.

Accessories not really required but with the Egg you would need to buy some stuff.

I'm going for the Joe - deflector plate and tools included, divide and conquer system, cart / side tables etc.

budgemook wrote: »
    Classic Joe from outdoor.ie is 1200. I have been talking to them.

Accessories not really required but with the Egg you would need to buy some stuff.

I'm going for the Joe - deflector plate and tools included, divide and conquer system, cart / side tables etc.

does that price incl VAT? My quote was €1384 for the Classic Joe (680/KJ23RH) and then an additional €318 VAT bringing to €1703

does that price incl VAT? My quote was €1384 for the Classic Joe (680/KJ23RH) and then an additional €318 VAT bringing to €1703

I provided a link above.

• Advertisement

I provided a link above.

they righty messed up with my quote then as I would have bought it for that price.

they righty messed up with my quote then as I would have bought it for that price.

Its much of muchness really, and at least you can walk in to A room outside and look around, they have all the accessories and Liam and Caroline are very helpful.

TBH my quote was only valid for January. If it has jumped by 500 euro odd I will be very disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Hey BBQ folk.
    Total noob here.
    I'll have a budget of around €500 (600 at a push) for a gas bbq.
    Would want it to be big enough to cater when having people over.
    Any recommendations appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Homestore and more will have them half price next month or month after.
    I bought one few years ago it hasnt done me any wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Homestore and more will have them half price next month or month after.
    I bought one few years ago it hasnt done me any wrong.

cheers!
    Any particular brand / features I should be looking out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Cant remember what make they are size really depends on what you need it for.
    The one i have is a four burner three in the grill and one on the side there is loads of room on it.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Hey BBQ folk.
    Total noob here.

Get the biggest Weber you can get for your budget. Just make sure it has three burners so you can do indirect heat properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

Pizza on the big green egg this evening. Pepperoni pizza and a tandoori chicken pizza.

surball wrote: »
    Pizza on the big green egg this evening. Pepperoni pizza and a tandoori chicken pizza.

Savage

• Advertisement

looks brilliant. Can you provide more details? Is the Green Egg pizza stone worth getting, what temp to you cook the pizza at and how long does it take per pizza?

looks brilliant. Can you provide more details? Is the Green Egg pizza stone worth getting, what temp to you cook the pizza at and how long does it take per pizza?

No problem. Here is a dump of information. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

These were cooked at between 250 and 300 degrees. I would be happy to go cook at 350-500 if the temp went up that high. I keep the vents fully opened.

It takes about 10mins per pizza at 250. I recommend the baking stone, it's really thick and heavy. My old pizza stone that was much slimmer couldn't cope with the heat and broke.

Yesterday I used pre-made bases. Got them from this guy - http://artisanpizza.ie/pizza-bases/ it cost 6.45 for three bases. But they are great quality.
    Generally I use half pre-made bases and half homemade dough as it's hard to cook enough in a time that's quick enough to satisfy folks. It takes a lot more time to make the base and construct the pizza if using homemade dough. Homemade dough is worthwhile making. I use this recipe https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016230-robertas-pizza-dough as it has a decent video too.
    With the homemade dough you need to use coarse cornflour to prevent the base sticking. Particularly when you are transferring the constructed from paddle to the stone.

I always use a combination of mozzarella cheese and grated Parmesan. You can buy the tomato sauce already prepared or else make your own. In my opinion there is not much difference.

No problem. Here is a dump of information. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

These were cooked at between 250 and 300 degrees. I would be happy to go cook at 350-500 if the temp went up that high. I keep the vents fully opened.

It takes about 10mins per pizza at 250. I recommend the baking stone, it's really thick and heavy. My old pizza stone that was much slimmer couldn't cope with the heat and broke.

Yesterday I used pre-made bases. Got them from this guy - http://artisanpizza.ie/pizza-bases/ it cost 6.45 for three bases. But they are great quality.
    Generally I use half pre-made bases and half homemade dough as it's hard to cook enough in a time that's quick enough to satisfy folks. It takes a lot more time to make the base and construct the pizza if using homemade dough. Homemade dough is worthwhile making. I use this recipe https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016230-robertas-pizza-dough as it has a decent video too.
    With the homemade dough you need to use coarse cornflour to prevent the base sticking. Particularly when you are transferring the constructed from paddle to the stone.

I always use a combination of mozzarella cheese and grated Parmesan. You can buy the tomato sauce already prepared or else make your own. In my opinion there is not much difference.

Thank you - this is useful and I think I will order the GE stone next week. I make my own dough but more recently have been also buying these Piero bases as they are so good.

Was mostly interested in hearing your experience making pizza on the egg as the max temp I have gotten to is around 320C but I'd make pizza in oven at at least 450 so that was a concern as not hot enough.

Will get a stone and let you know how it works out.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Could you not just throw the pizza directly onto the plate setter?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bobboberson

What size egg and nest did you get for that price

Anthony

What size egg and nest did you get for that price

Anthony

The large one.

Grid Diameter: 18.25 in / 46 cm
    Cooking Area: 262 sq in / 1688 sq cm
    Weight: 162 lbs / 73 kgs

Came across this today - http://www.pizza-porta.com/ ;

A solution to a problem I didnt know I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Hello everybody, I looked up youtube and followed the instruction on how to smoke on a gas BBQ.

I got my tinfoil holder, soaked my hickory wood chips in water for 40 mins, put them on the BBQ with holes all around the tinfoil holder and in the end I got no smoke. The chips burnt in the tinfoil holder but no smoke.

Any tips on how to be better next time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 ZaffizaKunt

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Hey BBQ folk.
    Total noob here.

Have a look at the Broil King Monarch 320. A bit higher speccd than an equivalent Weber for about €100-€150 less.

I got one last year from Flogas for €560 and its a fantastic grill. I use mine all year round. You can get some serious heat inside of it for searing and pizza.

The difference between a good grill like a BK or Weber is night and day over the cheap junk in B&Q etc so worth the investment IMO. If you mind it well it should last for years and years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

I always smoke mine in an empty can of beans or the equivalent after soaking the wood chips.

Advertisement