Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Can anyone tell me where it's possible to buy a smoker BBQ? A homestore & more brochure came in the letterbox yesterday that advertised them but when I called out they had none, I checked online and they seem to be out of stock everywhere.
    I've looked online and for 80, 100, 120 and upwards sterling they are available. The only one I've found in Ireland is 600 euro which isn't going to happen?
    Any ideas folks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

longshanks wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where it's possible to buy a smoker BBQ? A homestore & more brochure came in the letterbox yesterday that advertised them but when I called out they had none, I checked online and they seem to be out of stock everywhere.
    I've looked online and for 80, 100, 120 and upwards sterling they are available. The only one I've found in Ireland is 600 euro which isn't going to happen?
    Any ideas folks?

Most Irish garden centres now sell the weber smokey mountains - which are top class for the money. You can get the long offset smokers for 80. 100 etc from cheaper places (aldi did them recently). But unless you get a good one (for an extra few quid) the lid wont properly seal, which results in loss of smoke, which results in fluctuating temps, which results in you getting frustrated and throwing your pork shoulder in the oven after 6 hours of an unsuccessful bbq!

Research before you buy. All you need is a good seal on the lid/door and an accurate built in thermometer.

Try amazon too. But personally I would suggest that anything in the order of €100 new is not going to hold the temps for 4-6-8 hours etc. just my experience.

Any good tips for cheap charcoal lump or briquettes?

I seem to be flying through the stuff at the minute and its becoming an exoensive hobby!!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bobboberson

I seem to be flying through the stuff at the minute and its becoming an exoensive hobby!!

Not sure where you live but try woodfuel.ie, the 12kg bag is 16.50, I got about 5 bags and it cost 15euro for delivery to lucan.

It good stuff

Anthony

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭SVI40

Look at the Smoke N Sear, I got one, and one weber starter of fuel of weber briquettes lasted over 6 hours.

https://abcbarbecue.com/

UK agent

https://www.bbqandsmoke.co.uk/collections/adrenaline-barbecue-company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 RubyB82

Can someone recommend a good Smoker? Not with BBQ attached, around €200?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

RubyB82 wrote: »

I don't think that exists. You could buy a Weber kettle and smoke on it though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

+ plenty of change to buy some charcoal

417482.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

So i want to try smoke my first brisket this weekend but am wondering what size to order from the butcher.

Ill be smoking it on my weber kettle so space is limited

Suppose i could just ask for a small brisket piece? Any thoughts?

So i want to try smoke my first brisket this weekend but am wondering what size to order from the butcher.

Ill be smoking it on my weber kettle so space is limited

Suppose i could just ask for a small brisket piece? Any thoughts?

For how many people? James whelan butchers do a 2kg or 4kg bone in brisket which you can order online. Might give it a go myself this weekend now!!

• Advertisement

For how many people? James whelan butchers do a 2kg or 4kg bone in brisket which you can order online. Might give it a go myself this weekend now!!

Im thinking the 2kg one, that would roughly convert to 5lbs i think

Im gonna ring fxb's tomorrow and see can they get me one around that size, if not ill order it online

Ive an order of maple chunks and oak chunks im waiting on also!

Anyone ever used maple? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 JohnnyB23

Ive an order of maple chunks and oak chunks im waiting on also!

Anyone ever used maple? :D

Hey Shakey_Jake, Where do you order your maple and oak chunks?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Smoking my first shoulder of pork tomorrow, went for 1kg just incase I mess it up.

And if all goes to plan, smoking a salmon on Saturday.

With all this fine eating, I gotta get back to the gym.

JohnnyB23 wrote: »
    Hey Shakey_Jake, Where do you order your maple and oak chunks?

Ordered mine on amazon, probably not the cheapest but sure im expanding :cool:

beertons wrote: »
    Smoking my first shoulder of pork tomorrow, went for 1kg just incase I mess it up.

And if all goes to plan, smoking a salmon on Saturday.

With all this fine eating, I gotta get back to the gym.

Once you have an internal thermometer and keep a steady low temp you wont go wrong!

Looking forward to the pics!! What smoker are you using?

Once you have an internal thermometer and keep a steady low temp you wont go wrong!

Looking forward to the pics!! What smoker are you using?

What temp you reckon I need for the salmon Johnny? I'm using a a classic Joe.

Cool. I'm not a big fish eater so I've never done a Salmon. It will be an interesting one though, plenty of time to sit back with a few beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

The Kamdao Joe videos on YouTube are great. The guy who does it is a very likeable fella and he must have cooked everything there is to cook by now. Many a night I sat up watching his videos while pondering if I would buy a Kamado Joe or not :D

Edit - just watched this video and then the one for Tomahawk Rib eye popped up afterwards. Looks like there are a couple of BBQ's on the cards this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

I've done a hot smoked side of salmon for about an hour and a half at approx 250-275 I think.
    Doesn't need much cooking, an hour might have been enough. Lovely texture, always gets good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Pic of salmon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Looking for some advise please.

I bought a smoker over the weekend (nothing special, got it in Aldi), I'm hoping to smoke a pork shoulder and brisket and I have a few questions?

1. I'm planning on mainly using charcoal but I'd like to use wood also, I know where to get the little clippings but does anybody know where I can get chunks suitable for cooking?

2. Does anybody know where I can get Wilkin and Sons Tiptree bbq sauce? They had it in the local supervalu for a while but then stopped stocking it, I love that sauce!

3. Can I smoke pork and brisket at the same time or is this not a good idea?

Ps, I'm looking to find those items, preferably in south Meath, north Kildare or west Dublin (Dublin city centre is also fine).

Any help would be great, thanks.

417616.jpgPork shoulder done. Nice, but I preferred it done in the slow cooker. Wasn't as moist, as easy to pull.

twerg_85 wrote: »
    Pic of salmon

Do you cover it in sugar and salt to get the water out of it, or do you put it straight on the smoker?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bobboberson

Hey Ruby

You may find if difficult to buy a smoker for that price, I got one a while ago but it's was kinda poor quality so a lot of the smoke just kept flowing out. I know Lidl and aldi did have them for sale but I don't know what there like.

For that kinda money a weber kettle bbq which can also be used for some smoking might be a good idea

Hope that helps
    Anthony

• Registered Users Posts: 37 JohnnyB23

I'm looking to find those items, preferably in south Meath, north Kikdare or west Dublin (Dublin city centre is also fine).
    Hey Huntergonzo, woodfuel.ie is located half way between Trim and Longwood. You can buy your Namchar charcoal or briquettes and large chunks of oak from here. Very helpful people!

Pork shoulder done. Nice, but I preferred it done in the slow cooker. Wasn't as moist, as easy to pull.

I normally foil it with a bit of liquid around 150 (farenheit) internal temp. Stops it getting too smokey, dark and dry. Usually falls apart once internal temp hits 195 farenheit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

oleras wrote: »
    Speaking of belly, wouldent mind giving this a go, although, i have never seen belly as large, that America !

Pork belly burned ends.

Gave this a pop today, turned out very well indeed.

Belly was on special in Lidl this week, just 3 euro a pack.

IMG_20170517_145242[1].jpg

IMG_20170517_145817[1].jpg

IMG_20170517_150128[1].jpg

IMG_20170517_150458[1].jpg

IMG_20170517_152045[1].jpg

2.5 hrs later @225 added bbq sauce, franks hot sauce, maple syrup and a bit of butter, gave it a stir, covered it and put it back for around 75mins.

IMG_20170517_180446[1].jpg

IMG_20170517_193330[1].jpg

IMG_20170517_193548[1].jpg

I normally foil it with a bit of liquid around 150 (farenheit) internal temp. Stops it getting too smokey, dark and dry. Usually falls apart once internal temp hits 195 farenheit!

Yirra, already made my mind up on it going forward.

Looking for some advise please.

Hi - some responsed below:

I bought a smoker over the weekend (nothing special, got it in Aldi), I'm hoping to smoke a pork shoulder and brisket and I have a few questions?

1. I'm planning on mainly using charcoal but I'd like to use wood also, I know where to get the little clippings but does anybody know where I can get chunks suitable for cooking? Newlands Garden Centre have them all.

2. Does anybody know where I can get Wilkin and Sons Tiptree bbq sauce? They had it in the local supervalu for a while but then stopped stocking it, I love that sauce! Nope, ever make your own? Some great recipes online.

3. Can I smoke pork and brisket at the same time or is this not a good idea? You can, make sure each one has an internal thermometer which can be read externally. Ie dont keep opening the lid to check temps or you'll lose so much heat each time you'll still be cooking this next week!

Ps, I'm looking to find those items, preferably in south Meath, north Kildare or west Dublin (Dublin city centre is also fine).

Any help would be great, thanks.

Some other tips:

Make sure your smoker has a thermometer in the lid.

Keep smoker temps around 225-250 farenheit. Don't be tempted to raise this or your meat will cook too quick and will be hard, dry and in the bin! You want low temperatures for a long slow cook.

Use a good dry rub before smoking

Dont keep opening the lid to look at it!!! (Im guilty of this too!)

Dont use too much wood with the charcoal. 2-3 small chunks is more than enough. Too much smoke tastes bitter and manky.

The meat wont absorb much more smoke beyond an internal temp of 150-160 farenheit. So a lot of guys wrap with heavy duty foil at that stage with some liquid. Google 'texas crutch'. If you're in trouble at this stage then since you've already "smoked" it, you could cheat and throw it in the oven (in the heavy foil). Say nothin!

Judge "doneness" by internal temperatures - not time.

Brisket can be hard to get right as its very thin one end and thick at the other - but you want both ends to cook evenly.... Maybe you'll be fine... but do a practice run and dont do your first brisket with 10 hungry friends standing around while you try to explain to them why its going in the bin!

Get a weber charcoal starter

Use good coal. I use weber briquettes as they last long.

Use a water pan in the smoker to keep the air moist inside to stop the meat drying out.

Check out some youtube how-to's before you start!

Enjoy and show us some pics!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

JohnnyB23 wrote: »
    Hey Huntergonzo, woodfuel.ie is located half way between Trim and Longwood. You can buy your Namchar charcoal or briquettes and large chunks of oak from here. Very helpful people!

Cheers for that Johnny, I'll look into that, they'd not too far from me.

Advertisement