Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Lit the smoker at 6:45. Going to a long, but hopefully rewarding, day.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Hows that brisket coming along??

Never tried the beans like that, looks great!

Hows that brisket coming along??

Never tried the beans like that, looks great!

Brisket is done. A lot quicker than I expected. Very tasty. Moist and nice smoke ring. Have it wrapped in towels and foil as my guests aren't over until 5!!!

The beans are great this way. Pick up some lovely smokiness from the fire.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Brisket is done. A lot quicker than I expected. Very tasty. Moist and nice smoke ring. Have it wrapped in towels and foil as my guests aren't over until 5!!!

The beans are great this way. Pick up some lovely smokiness from the fire.

Nice one! Looks great! What weight was it?

Nice one! Looks great! What weight was it?

It was a shade under 4kg.

I need to dial in my brisket cooking to be honest. There was a lot of fiddling today.

The problem with most of the online guides are they are American. Thanks to feed lots and hormone use their briskets are massive. The one I cooked was only about 75% of the thickness of any brisket I saw in the US.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

It was a shade under 4kg.

I need to dial in my brisket cooking to be honest. There was a lot of fiddling today.

The problem with most of the online guides are they are American. Thanks to feed lots and hormone use their briskets are massive. The one I cooked was only about 75% of the thickness of any brisket I saw in the US.

What fiddling is there with brisket?
    I made one yesterday also. Not quite as large as yours.. maybe 1.5kg.
    Put on at 9:10, took off at 5:15 @195F. I wanted to take it to 200F but was very short on time. No crutch. Cooked at 225F.

MaceFace wrote: »
    What fiddling is there with brisket?
    I made one yesterday also. Not quite as large as yours.. maybe 1.5kg.
    Put on at 9:10, took off at 5:15 @195F. I wanted to take it to 200F but was very short on time. No crutch. Cooked at 225F.

Fiddling with the smoker. I made a bit of a hash of my temperature control. Couldn't get it up to temp so I added some lump wood, then it ran too hot so I had to throttle everything back.

Next time I'll just cook it at 250f till it's at 195f internal temp.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 37 JohnnyB23

Good Evening BBQer's, The forcast looks good for the weekend so I think I'm gonna pull out my bbq and see what kinda shape its in. The whole cleaning cooking grates is just putting me off though. But I swear I'm gonna do it, otherwise the damn thing might might not be taken out of the garage at all this year.
    Anyways... I'm trying to source some wood chunks, hickory,apple and mesquite. I've seen them on the RoomOutside website and thought they were a biy over priced. I've gotten Oak chunks from Woodfeul.ie before but I'm not sure if they have any of the woods that I mentioned. Anybody got any ideas? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Anyone on here using a pellet grill/smoker?

JohnnyB23 wrote: »
    Good Evening BBQer's, The forcast looks good for the weekend so I think I'm gonna pull out my bbq and see what kinda shape its in. The whole cleaning cooking grates is just putting me off though. But I swear I'm gonna do it, otherwise the damn thing might might not be taken out of the garage at all this year.
    Anyways... I'm trying to source some wood chunks, hickory,apple and mesquite. I've seen them on the RoomOutside website and thought they were a biy over priced. I've gotten Oak chunks from Woodfeul.ie before but I'm not sure if they have any of the woods that I mentioned. Anybody got any ideas? :cool:

Most garden centres have the weber chunks/chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Lit the smoker at 6:45. Going to a long, but hopefully rewarding, day.

Just looking at the pics there,
    Is that a ProQ smoker?
    If it is how do you find it?

I've never bbq smoked before but watching too much BBQ on tv has got the cravings going :-D

I was thinking of getting one of the ProQ ones to get started.

XsApollo wrote: »
    Just looking at the pics there,
    Is that a ProQ smoker?
    If it is how do you find it?

I'd be 99% certain that's a weber smokey mountain

unklerosco wrote: »

Yea I just googled there and it looks like it.
    They are both pretty similar and both compared to each other in reviews.
    Both capable by the reviews too.
    So think I will bite the bullet and be back for advice on how to use it :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

XsApollo wrote: »
    Yea I just googled there and it looks like it.
    They are both pretty similar and both compared to each other in reviews.
    Both capable by the reviews too.
    So think I will bite the bullet and be back for advice on how to use it :-P

You may have given me the nudge i need to sell my ProQ 20!

Since i got my KJ i havent used it.

I took a few pics last month, ill dig them out.

'Tis

they/them/theirs

oleras wrote: »
    You may have given me the nudge i need to sell my ProQ 20!

Since i got my KJ i havent used it.

I took a few pics last month, ill dig them out.

Nice,
    I'd be interested.
    Drop me a P.M. If you want to sell.

In for a crackin weekend if the forecast is to be believed.... in anticpation of the sun I have the brisket and a shoulder of pork ordered and ready to be washed down with some nice IPA's!

Have my ribs & pork shoulder in... gonna do a few chickens too. Big family party this weekend so hope the weather man isn't trying to prank us all!

Have my ribs & pork shoulder in... gonna do a few chickens too. Big family party this weekend so hope the weather man isn't trying to prank us all!

What are you cooking all that on? Must be a big smoker??

What are you cooking all that on? Must be a big smoker??

I've a weber smokey mountain and hoping to take delivery of a green mountain grills Daniel Boone tomorrow.

• Advertisement

I've a weber smokey mountain and hoping to take delivery of a green mountain grills Daniel Boone tomorrow.

Anyone in Ireland selling those pellet grills unklerosco ? Did you have to bring it in from the UK ?

I ordered some hog casings during the week and hope they are here tomorrow, going to try my hand at sausage making so hope to be eating BBQ sausages all weekend.

oleras wrote: »
    Anyone in Ireland selling those pellet grills unklerosco ? Did you have to bring it in from the UK ?

Have the it coming in for a trial, looking at setting up as a distributor in Ireland for them myself, will see how it goes.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Have a 3kg brisket spiced and wrapped since Monday. Going on tomorrow at 7. I can't wait.

I've a whole pork shoulder to go on shortly for tomorrow afternoon. Normally I just have the butcher remove the hock and throw it on after rubbing.

Today, I decided to remove the rind (skin) before applying rub to get more bark but unsure as to whether this will affect cook time.
    Anyone ever test or read about changes in cook time with/without rind?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 JohnnyB23

My butcher left my short a few racks today so I've had to improvise. I got a portion of chicken thighs and I have them de-boned. Any cooking suggestions for the thighs please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

JohnnyB23 wrote: »
    My butcher left my short a few racks today so I've had to improvise. I got a portion of chicken thighs and I have them de-boned. Any cooking suggestions for the thighs please :D

Chicken yakitori is worth a try.

http://www.justonecookbook.com/yakitori/

My opinion...
    Either go shredded or whole but use a bun. I prefer whole.
    Rub... your choice... something with a bit of spice. Tomorrow is going to be lovely so use a salsa. Go well with the spice. I'm making pico de gallo myself.

If shredded, maybe some tacos.

Bobby Flay usually has a few rub recipes which I like.

You know yourself, when it comes to chicken there is lots of options.

Postman left me down yesterday, was expecting 38mm hog casings and he took the day off it seems, was resigned to no sausage making this weekend but i was told where to get collagen casings last night so went in this morning to get my ass in gear.

My first time trying sausage making, i have a lidl mincer and got a cheap stuffer last week from amazon.

I got around 2.5kg of pork shoulder and .5kg of back fat.

IMG_20170617_132240_1.jpg

Followed this guys

seasoning mix, i did add 10g of dried sage, pork needs sage !

IMG_20170617_133636_1.jpg

Rusk and water measured up.

IMG_20170617_134329_1.jpg

Everything is done by weight and as a % of the meat, handy formulas i posted above in the seasoning link.

Minced and back to the freezer

IMG_20170617_145344_1.jpghttp:

Meat was passed through a course die on the mincer x2. After i cut teh meat into cubes and every time i handled it, it was put back in the freezer for at least 30 mins, seemingly sausage meat dont like the heat...would take me to pick the hottest day to make them.

Seasoning, rusk and water added to mince, a good work through, then u make a pattie and wrap it in tinfoil and fry it, it mimics a skin, no maillard affect.

IMG_20170617_154200_1.jpg

It was really tasty, like really good, wife said it was like white pudding, nice and peppery

The first roll of sausages !

IMG_20170617_164054_1.jpg

Making links was not as easy, lots of busted ones, need to practice that, hopefully with the hog casings they will be more forgiving.

I still ended up with nearly 7lbs in the fridge, seemingly "blooming" overnight, apt for the week that's in it.

IMG_20170617_181717_1.jpg

I will grill a few tomorrow for breakfast and may hot smoke a few as well.

So it didn't make any difference. A whole shoulder took 26 hours at 225f. Pita

• Advertisement

MaceFace wrote: »
    So it didn't make any difference. A whole shoulder took 26 hours at 225f. Pita

26 hours??!!??!!

I do it in less than 10. How big was this shoulder.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement