Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

For anyone that's considering getting a chimney starter, tesco have them for €6.50

I only got my first one a month ago, and can't for the life of me understand how I went so long without one.

Just light the newspaper, and walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

The kindle store have a sale on several books at the minute weber, Steven Raichlen etc.

The Barbecue! Bible 10th Anniversary Edition https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0075KQ566/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_meFyzbVGCPC9R

How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques, A Barbecue Bible! Cookbook https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007NHRARE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_CgFyzbJDC0CJT

Weber's Complete BBQ Book: Step-by-step advice and over 150 delicious barbecue recipes https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010Q1X63A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_EaFyzbJB6YVK7

Weber's American Barbecue https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L9E9DNK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_abFyzbW7AB9WM

Weber's Burgers, Sausages & More: Over 160 Barbecue Favourites https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NT7YJ6W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_kqFyzbK9JKQ6H

Grillstock: The BBQ Book https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010QDG9BY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_YcFyzb9PV1S3H

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

I’m not sure if right thread, but am looking for some advice on charcoal. Lighting it etc
    I had a small bucket bbq for years and eventually with everyone else doing it, decided to get small ish one for E25 in lidl(out the last few weeks)

Used it for the first time today with a bag of charcoal from delaz, light the bag nothing, ended up using oil, paper, sticks etc

So I’m guessing the bigger bbq will need more than the cheap stuff im use to, but don’t want anything special as only really do sausages/burgers etc

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

jeffk wrote: »
    I’m not sure if right thread, but am looking for some advice on charcoal. Lighting it etc
    I had a small bucket bbq for years and eventually with everyone else doing it, decided to get small ish one for E25 in lidl(out the last few weeks)

Used it for the first time today with a bag of charcoal from delaz, light the bag nothing, ended up using oil, paper, sticks etc

So I’m guessing the bigger bbq will need more than the cheap stuff im use to, but don’t want anything special as only really do sausages/burgers etc

Thanks!!

I use 3kg of Weber long burn stuff to start my fire. Weber chimney and I use a Weber fire lighter cube raised on a 1/2 brick. Works every time for me.

After that I just use wood ðŸ‘

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Thanks!!

Make a pyramid of charcoal briquettes and stick a fire lighter in the middle. Sit back and wait. Takes about 20 minutes.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 ZaffizaKunt

The easiest and simplest way to light charcoal is to use a Chimney. You only need a small one - you should be able to get one in B&Q or Woodies for about €20 or less and you'll never have a problem again.

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7447-Compact-Rapidfire-Chimney/dp/B009IH0ICG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

There was talk of a 6 euro one on here in Tesco but I didn't see it in Cabra this weekend :mad:

Any sightings?

QQ - would you bother using a chimney starter for a low and slow cook? Probably not, right?

Thanks for posts/ideas

Watched video on chimney,looks good,but think firelighters be the cheapest and won't add more effort/cleaning

Any idea on charcoal?I'm guessing the dealz stuff is only crap?

budgemook wrote: »
    There was talk of a 6 euro one on here in Tesco but I didn't see it in Cabra this weekend :mad:

Any sightings?

QQ - would you bother using a chimney starter for a low and slow cook? Probably not, right?

€6.49, I guess you'd need to be headed to one of the larger tescos, such as a Tesco extra.

Loads of them on the shelf when I got mine 2 or 3 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Thanks!!

was it briquettes or lump? Briquettes can really hard to light as some have been storage over winter and can be really damp.

• Advertisement

BailMeOut wrote: »
    was it briquettes or lump? Briquettes can really hard to light as some have been storage over winter and can be really damp.

Lump, the bag Dealz sell, looks like lumps of coal, eventually got it going an threw some that was from Aldl or Lidl and was like it was splintered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Lump, the bag Dealz sell, looks like lumps of coal, eventually got it going an threw some that was from Aldl or Lidl and was like it was splintered

if it looked like coal it is most likely briquettes!

Lump looks like bits of burnt wood.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    if it looked like coal it is most likely briquettes!

Lump looks like bits of burnt wood.

This is all new to me , the last experience of setting fire to stuff was in scouts :cool:

Any recommendations on where/what to get to make it better/easier?

This is all new to me , the last experience of setting fire to stuff was in scouts :cool:

Any recommendations on where/what to get to make it better/easier?

You can get lumpwood in Woodies. I prefer lumpwood to briquettes.

A lot of people here but lumpwood charcoal from woodfuel.ie and various places however this can be expensive. Try woodies and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I got a two 7kg bags of briquettes for €14 in B&Q a couple of weeks ago Id say they still have that offer. Its not bad considering that in Tesco etc you only get 5kg for €7/8 and the stuff seems good.

Was in France over Easter and brought back a 9kg bag of lump wood (that was only €6) that I had bough for the week I was over there. Sad I know instead of bringing back boxes of wine I brought bags of charcoal:o home to ireland

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

budgemook wrote: »

Any sightings?

Hey, just a heads up on these, there was still lots left in Tesco earlier, they've been further reduced to €3.45

They have been moved to a new location in the store and are now positioned in the seasonal goods section.

Lads. Pure steal at that price. I might even buy a second.

FBGkuW.jpg

GDBMxe.jpg

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Hey, just a heads up on these, there was still lots left in Tesco earlier, they've been further reduced to €3.45

They have been moved to a new location in the store and are now positioned in the seasonal goods section.

Lads. Pure steal at that price. I might even buy a second.

I checked the seasonal area in Tesco Cabra at the weekend. They had a load of BBQ stuff but none of these.

I'll check another Tesco I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Does anyone know if their kettle bbq for 32€ is worth a punt?

marko93 wrote:
    Does anyone know if their kettle bbq for 32€ is worth a punt?

Lidl have one for E25 with three years warranty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 ZaffizaKunt

Those cheapie BBQs will work fine but will last no time. This time next year it will be a rust bucket with the handles falling off.
    If you are happy to buy a new one every year then they are great otherwise spend a bit more on a Weber and it will last a lifetime.

I used to buy cheapies every year and dump them at the end of the summer but I got a Weber second hand this year and the difference is night and day in materials used to make them. Check adverts and you will pick one up cheap enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Hi, I posted this elsewhere but someone told me to try here....

We got a Gas grill. Weber Genesis 4 burner. A few months ago.

Propane gas and the cylinder is about knee height. (Quite a small cylinder really)

Anyway, it has already run out after maybe 12 barbecues.

Is that normal? We had a spare and switched over etc but I'm just worried we may have a leak or a fault, or do they only last that long generally?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

Beef Jerky, anyone tried it, I'm tempted on my next pork butt cook to try it, cheers

Hi, I posted this elsewhere but someone told me to try here....

We got a Gas grill. Weber Genesis 4 burner. A few months ago.

Propane gas and the cylinder is about knee height. (Quite a small cylinder really)

Anyway, it has already run out after maybe 12 barbecues.

Is that normal? We had a spare and switched over etc but I'm just worried we may have a leak or a fault, or do they only last that long generally?

Thanks in advance

I get a lot more than that out of mine. Are your running all 4 burners at full whack?

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    I get a lot more than that out of mine. Are your running all 4 burners at full whack?

We probably did, at times alright. How long did yours last? Was it one of the small cylinders of propane, like mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

We probably did, at times alright. How long did yours last? Was it one of the small cylinders of propane, like mine?

What where you cooking and how long.. 12 times cooking chicken for 50 min each time with say 10 min heating grills would be 12 hours of use... If you were just cooking burgers or steak for 15 min or so its different.

What where you cooking and how long.. 12 times cooking chicken for 50 min each time with say 10 min heating grills would be 12 hours of use... If you were just cooking burgers or steak for 15 min or so its different.

Good point. Yeah I would say it was on for about an hour on average, 12 times.
    Usually either 3 burners or 4 burners in use at same time at a fairly high setting.
    We would typically cook 3 or 4 different course/portions and leave it on throughout.
    Which I am now realising as I'm typing, is probably what did it.

So is 12 hours of high temp cooking with 3 or 4 burners about right, for a cylinder of propane would you reckon?

Good point. Yeah I would say it was on for about an hour on average, 12 times.
    Usually either 3 burners or 4 burners in use at same time at a fairly high setting.
    We would typically cook 3 or 4 different course/portions and leave it on throughout.
    Which I am now realising as I'm typing, is probably what did it.

So is 12 hours of high temp cooking with 3 or 4 burners about right, for a cylinder of propane would you reckon?

There's something amiss there. I've left my BBQ on overnight by accident and still had plenty of propane in the morning.

I'm using a standard cylinder.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    There's something amiss there. I've left my BBQ on overnight by accident and still had plenty of propane in the morning.

I'm using a standard cylinder.

Cheers for the reply. Can I please ask what size cylinder it is in kg?
    I just checked mine and it's a 5.3 kg Flogas Gas Lite cylinder. About two foot in height.
    Would yours be similar to this? Or is it a larger cylinder than mine?

I have checked for leaks and cant find any issues. And its a brand new BBQ (as in we bought it in late April/Early May, Weber Genesis), so I'm baffled now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Before and after pics using the new rotisserie gadget for the barbie. Feeling all modern-day Neanderthal-ish. :)

IMG_4361.jpg

IMG_4363.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Hi, has anyone got any suggestions for some good veggie bbq/grill recipes?

Advertisement