Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

eeepaulo wrote: »
    I love barbeque, going to need to join a gym though.

I did pork burnt ends, the meat head recipe, I had the skin on which didn't turn to cracking, the meat was beautiful but just ended up cutting off the skin, should it work or do I need to do the skin separately? They were in at 250-275 for about 5 hours.

From roasting experience, you can cook it on low to start off with but you need at least 30 minutes on high heat to turn the skin into crispy crackling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

From roasting experience, you can cook it on low to start off with but you need at least 30 minutes on high heat to turn the skin into crispy crackling.

That's how I do pork belly in the oven. Around 200c for 1/2 hour to start.

I'm tempted to cut it off next time when I put the bits in the tray and just stick it under the grill.

eeepaulo wrote: »
    That's how I do pork belly in the oven. Around 200c for 1/2 hour to start.

I'm tempted to cut it off next time when I put the bits in the tray and just stick it under the grill.

Sorry, never mentioned that you should separate the skin from the meat before cooking....

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Brian? wrote: »
    How much? I've used exclusively Weber charcoal briquettes for the last few years and find it first class for long cooks. I'd be interested in a cheaper option.

IMO lumpwood is for grilling. It's fantastic for grilling. You can smoke with it, I've done so myself, but it adds variability in that's really not needed. Especially with brisket. Especially with irish brisket which is smaller and less forgiving than American brisket.

I think it was a tenner for a 2.5kg bag. They have 5kg bags of Big K charcoal briquettes for 6 euro, I've been using that for a while with no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

SVI40 wrote: »
    dingbat wrote: »

3. more quietly purchase an accessory like a "Slow n Sear". Haven't used one, but sources that I trust have raved about it.

I've got 2 Slow n Sears, and I have to say, they are brilliant. 8 hours from a single chimney of coals.

Where did you source them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know if Tesco Extra have been selling chimney starters this year?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know if Tesco Extra have been selling chimney starters this year?

Still some in Aldi......

Still some in Aldi......

Thanks mate, picked up one in Aldi earlier. 7.99 is some bargain and they are pretty much identical to the Weber version that sells for 29.99 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

Where did you source them?

I got mine brought over from the states by relatives but they do ship internationally, it costs about 50 USD although that doesn't cover local taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Anywhere know a good butcher in central or south Dublin to get spare ribs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

Anywhere know a good butcher in central or south Dublin to get spare ribs?

fx buckley moore st

Would anyone know a good product and technique for de-rusting grill plates from a Weber? Picked up a used model today and want to do a bit of a clean up before I put it into action.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Would anyone know a good product and technique for de-rusting grill plates from a Weber? Picked up a used model today and want to do a bit of a clean up before I put it into action.

Steel wool is your only man tbh. That said you could probably use some Oven Prude to prep the grill parts first. They always have it in Lidl or Aldi for around €5 or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bobboberson

Has anyone ever built a spit roaster, I can get the frame and the bar, but I don't know what kind of motor use. Anyone have any ideas.

Has anyone ever built a spit roaster, I can get the frame and the bar, but I don't know what kind of motor use. Anyone have any ideas.

A few ideas on Google but saw a clever idea on TV yesterday where they just used a bicycle wheel with a reflector on one of the spokes. Every 15 minutes they turned the wheel 90 degrees (the reflector was just there to show the angle of the turn). You’d probably need something to stop the wheel/spit moving in between turns.

A few ideas on Google but saw a clever idea on TV yesterday where they just used a bicycle wheel with a reflector on one of the spokes. Every 15 minutes they turned the wheel 90 degrees (the reflector was just there to show the angle of the turn). You’d probably need something to stop the wheel/spit moving in between turns.

A stick?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    A stick?

Maybe a metal one. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Had the most amazing pulled pork today -

Yesterday I smoked a pork shoulder for about 5 hours in my offset smoker. I then double-wrapped it in foil and transferred to my electric oven for another 4 hours until it hit an internal temp of 92/93 degrees celcius. I let it sit for an hour and started to pull - was a bit disappointed as it wasn't as tender as I'd hoped. Placed in the fridge overnight.

Today I took some out and heated in the oven (drizzled in BBQ sauce and honey, and covered in foil) for about an hour and a half. It was much more tender after this. Made sandwiches with it and ....... wow! Talk about flavour! Everyone was gobsmacked.

Very happy with the end result. It really is worth the effort. Lots more pork to look forward to in the week ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Im looking for some tips/advice on how to cook ribs on a bbq i bought my first ever one in the range this week and ive cooked a few things on it like burgers/sausages etc but now ive got some ribs and i want to try smoke them,this is the bbq i bought.

fccR9UUkrXI5UGdF.jpg

https://www.therange.co.uk/outdoor-living/barbecues-and-accessories/charcoal-bbqs/houston-smoker-bbq-grill#615532

Ive looked at various youtube videos,i think i just put the charcoal and wood in the left burner?,and the meat in the right one and thats it basically?,sorry for the simples questions ill get it right eventually i hope :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Have a look on amazingribs.com or google it there are loads of different dry rubs and methods its just about finding one you like trial and error.
    Have a look at the 3.2.1 method thats what i use also a good bbq sauce i use sweet baby rays and keep your temp between about 225 and 250f if you dont have one a duel probe thermometer is a good investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

Any shop in Dublin that has a good selection of BBQ sauces and rubs?

I've made my own Memphis dust but wouldn't mind trying a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭blue note

What are people's opinions of offset smokers? I feel that a wsm or the like makes more sense - less chance of heat loss off the side basically, but I just think they look cool. I'd be thinking of getting a decent one - think there's a nice one in a Cork store for about 550. Or a broil king one for about 900.

Im looking for some tips/advice on how to cook ribs on a bbq i bought my first ever one in the range this week and ive cooked a few things on it like burgers/sausages etc but now ive got some ribs and i want to try smoke them,this is the bbq i bought.

fccR9UUkrXI5UGdF.jpg

https://www.therange.co.uk/outdoor-living/barbecues-and-accessories/charcoal-bbqs/houston-smoker-bbq-grill#615532

Ive looked at various youtube videos,i think i just put the charcoal and wood in the left burner?,and the meat in the right one and thats it basically?,sorry for the simples questions ill get it right eventually i hope :o

https://www.facebook.com/BarbecueWeb/videos/2289009671141267/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Has anyone here imported a Kamado Joe from the UK or further afield? Are there decent savings to be made versus buying direct from an Irish dealer?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Has anyone here imported a Kamado Joe from the UK or further afield? Are there decent savings to be made versus buying direct from an Irish dealer?

Buy it here. You'll save very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I got this, a cracking piece of kit, they shipped it by pallet for me and it was here 48hrs later.

https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/products/6942/18-inch-freestanding-kamado-grill/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Hi all

Invested in a Paella pan and below is the result of using same on my 4- burner Gas BBQ using 3 of the burners!!!!

Very happy at a 1st attempt!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

fccR9UUkrXI5UGdF.jpg

Remove membrane and put a dry rub on the ribs. You'll find plenty of suitable rubs in your local supermarket.

With a smoker that size you want to chop some wood (I use oak) until it's effectively kindling. Aim for a consistent temp of 130-150 celcius. Smoke the ribs for 2.5 hours, then remove and wrap in foil with BBQ sauce and honey. Transfer to electric oven for another 2 to 2.5 hours at 130 celcius.

Best ribs you ever had in your life, guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Im looking for some tips/advice on how to cook ribs on a bbq i bought my first ever one in the range this week and ive cooked a few things on it like burgers/sausages etc but now ive got some ribs and i want to try smoke them

This is on a kettle but the same procedure pretty much applies. See this post here - https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055542022/101/#post103628287

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

philidub wrote: »
    Any shop in Dublin that has a good selection of BBQ sauces and rubs?

I've made my own Memphis dust but wouldn't mind trying a few others.

You can buy this Ribman Rib Rub online here - https://theribman.co.uk/collections/sauces

Advertisement