Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Shemale wrote: »
    I got this, a cracking piece of kit, they shipped it by pallet for me and it was here 48hrs later.

https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/products/6942/18-inch-freestanding-kamado-grill/

Thanks, not much online about them but it looks great. Any issues at all with it and anything you wish it had but doesn't? (ie KJ's divide and conquer flexible cooking system)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Ardent wrote: »
    Remove membrane and put a dry rub on the ribs. You'll find plenty of suitable rubs in your local supermarket.

With a smoker that size you want to chop some wood (I use oak) until it's effectively kindling. Aim for a consistent temp of 130-150 celcius. Smoke the ribs for 2.5 hours, then remove and wrap in foil with BBQ sauce and honey. Transfer to electric oven for another 2 to 2.5 hours at 130 celcius.

Best ribs you ever had in your life, guaranteed.

Thanks ill give that a go during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Has anyone here imported a Kamado Joe from the UK or further afield? Are there decent savings to be made versus buying direct from an Irish dealer?
    I imported mine from England. Exchange rate was extremely favourable at the time, even taking into account the delivery charge.

Worth noting that since the arrival of the KJ Classic II there are some decent deals around on the previous (and perfectly marvellous in its own right) KJ Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Thanks ill give that a go during the week

Don't forget to spray to ribs every so often with something like 50:50 water/apple juice. Stop them from charring in the smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Does anyone here know their Weber grills? I'm trying to figure out is there much of a difference between the Weber 57cm Original Kettle and the 57cm Master Touch Kettle.
    I can't really see a difference besides the ash collection bucket.
    At twice the price it hardly seems worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

Does anyone here know their Weber grills? I'm trying to figure out is there much of a difference between the Weber 57cm Original Kettle and the 57cm Master Touch Kettle.

Not familiar with the original but some features I remember reading about on the mastertouch which is the one I opted for. These are only off the top of my head so might not be 100% correct on all of them.

Gourmet BBQ system
    Main grate has sides that can be lifted up to add coals
    Thermometer on the lid
    Frame that holds the lid and can be used to shield from wind when lighting chimney
    Heat deflector on lid?
    At the time it included a cast iron griddle pan
    Charcoal holders for indirect and other cooking methods

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

The original Weber is the most basic model with just the grill grate and nothing else.
    The mastertouch has all the accessories listed above as well as the ash catcher and thicker grade steel grate.

There is pretty much nothing you can't do on the original that you can't do on the mastertouch. The accessories make everything easier to do though.

I'd you are just going to be cooking burgers and steak then the original will be perfect. Smoking, low and slow while doable on the original is much much easier on the mastertouch.

I have the Original Premium which is a halfway house between the original and the mastertouch bit over time I've upgraded the grate to the GBS and added charcoal baskets as well so essentially I now have the mastertouch. Should have just bought it in the first place :)

The arboretum and the orchard and probably others have the mastertouch for €275 which is a good deal I think. It will last a lifetime if you mind it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

I have the master touch. For the extra few quid you basically get the ash cleaner (which I wouldn’t be without now!!) the lid roller thing (saves you taking off the lid and putting it on the ground, the grate with removable centre (you can buy separately anyway) and the charcoal baskets (which you can buy separately anyway).

Overall its a great bbq. Is it worth paying twice the price of the standard, probably not. The ash collection and lid roller support are very handy though. The food will taste exactly the same off the standard though!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

davegilly wrote: »
    It will last a lifetime if you mind it!
    If buying one I would want it to last a lifetime without looking after it. Are there many fully stainless steel ones? I know a guy made one from a stainless beer keg, stainless grill too, plenty online seem to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

New bbq... Been waiting on this a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

rubadub wrote: »
    If buying one I would want it to last a lifetime without looking after it. Are there many fully stainless steel ones? I know a guy made one from a stainless beer keg, stainless grill too, plenty online seem to do it.

Nothing will last forever if you don't look after it!

You could make yourself a UDS - Ugly Drum Smoker. Plenty of people do that and other home projects, plenty of others buy Webers and other good brands. 'Tis up to yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

picachu wrote: »
    New bbq... Been waiting on this a while

Nice Tuscan grill, are you going for wood fired?

I'm trying to get away from all this charcoal and get myself a Argentinian Asado grill where you have a fire box to the side and use the embers off his to do the grilling.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭blue note

rubadub wrote: »

There seems to be a belief by some that a weber will last forever regardless of how you treat it and a Tesco one will last one summer regardless of what you do. In reality, if you don't clean them, leave them out all the time they'll go to cr@p. And if you look after the Tesco one it'll last you years.

If you're buying one and not intending to mind it I'd definitely go with the cheapo option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

What does "looking after" a BBQ entail?

Cleaning it. Not leaving it out in the elements, or at least covering it. I think some of the grills require seasoning.

I'll invest in a high end one sometime not too far from now. And I'll be looking into how to get the best and the longest out of it.

blue note wrote: »
    Cleaning it. Not leaving it out in the elements, or at least covering it. I think some of the grills require seasoning.

I'll invest in a high end one sometime not too far from now. And I'll be looking into how to get the best and the longest out of it.

Also, in my case, you're friends not burning every lighter and piece of fuel in your bbq to see how hot it could go and how big the flames would get. A cheapo one was still perfect after 3 years and after that "experiment" the fire grill warped. Was never the same after that.

I wasn't even there to see the fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

ECO_Mental wrote: »

I'm trying to get away from all this charcoal and get myself a Argentinian Asado grill where you have a fire box to the side and use the embers off his to do the grilling.

I'd say it will be largely charcoal... I've never used wood before... Could be worth a go now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

cleaning it and protecting from elements.

Are you Gas of Charcoal?

A lot of gunk collects in gas BBQ's that needs to be cleaned. Running at highest heat with lid on for a while is a good way to get rid of a lot of this but you still need to clean out the ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

BailMeOut wrote: »
    cleaning it and protecting from elements.

Are you Gas of Charcoal?

A lot of gunk collects in gas BBQ's that needs to be cleaned. Running at highest heat with lid on for a while is a good way to get rid of a lot of this but you still need to clean out the ash.

I'm gas. Will keep that in mind, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Asados are wide and varied and can be anything from a normal kettle to a fire on the ground surrounded by foods been cooked. The argentinians have some great varied methods of cooking by fire & coal.

• Advertisement

Good book on asado style cooking

https://www.bookdepository.com/Seven-Fires-Francis-Mallmann/9781579653545?ref=pd_detail_1_sims_b_p2p_1

I got the book but haven't used it yet. Outlines the different types of "fires" used for cooking argentinian style bbq and recipes. If your on Netflix he features in one of the 1st episodes of The chefs table. Also a very good documentary on there called "Todo sobre al asado"

Still getting used to smoking rather then grilling thing. Ordered a few pork cheeks and beef ribs from the butcher earlier in the week so decided to smoke them last night. Used a Webber charcoal briquettes & their Mesquite wood chips which i soaked for about an hour before putting on.

Brined the pork cheeks for about 24 hours in an apple juice and vinegar brine.

20180712_165358.jpg

Lots of fat on those ribs to be trimmed off
    20180712_165401.jpg

Pork cheeks were lightly coated in a mustard before a homemade rub of salt, black pepper, white pepper, onion granuales, mustard powder & smoked paprika
    20180712_173221.jpg

Beef ribs were just coasted in a rub of salt, black pepper, white pepper & onion granuales
    20180712_173226.jpg

using a Webber kettle bbq. Its not ideal theres no thermometer on it and the bottom air vent control has rusted away so I improvised by shoving tin foil into the vents however this caused the heat to die down after about 90 minutes so had to pull some of it out and it got it back up and running

20180712_220057.jpg

Took the pork cheeks off after about 3 hours. I had planned to give them 2 hours but with the heat issue i left them longer. They came off nice and tender however the flavours were very over powering. I used way too much wood chips (about 2.5-3 handfuls) and the smoke flavour was very strong & over powering. The rub used was to over powering in a spicy way and didnt give any flavour just the sensation of a spicy burn

20180712_221811.jpg

Took the beef ribs off after 6 hours as it was getting late but really should have left them on for another 90 minutes to 2 hours. There was still a good bit of fat to be rendered and the meat could have been more tender. The smoke flavour wasnt to over powering on these compared to the cheeks

20180713_092153.jpg

Learned a few things from last night - Go easy on the rub and overpowering flavours. Cut down a bit on the wood chips especially with a stronger wood. Time, plenty of time more then you think and not to start smoking at 630 in the evening. Going to treat myself today and go and buy an offset smoker for the weekend to do the rest of the ribs that I didnt cook so i,ll be starting them late Sunday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭SVI40

You can get replacement vents for the Weber, loads on Amazon etc. You really need to get some probe thermometers if you are looking to get into smoking and slow cooking. Brands such as Maverick or ThermoWorks are good.

Check out https://abcbarbecue.com/ for the latest Maverick, 4 probes, and 500 foot range. Amazing Ribs also has some great stuff on it.

Have fun with the BBQing!

What offset cooker are you looking at? And why offset instead of a Weber smokey mountain for example?

I think the offset ones look great, but I keep reading that cheap ones are pointless. The b

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

neris wrote: »
    Still getting used to smoking rather then grilling thing. Ordered a few pork cheeks and beef ribs from the butcher earlier in the week so decided to smoke them last night. Used a Webber charcoal briquettes & their Mesquite wood chips which i soaked for about an hour before putting on.

Brined the pork cheeks for about 24 hours in an apple juice and vinegar brine.

20180712_165358.jpg

Lots of fat on those ribs to be trimmed off
    20180712_165401.jpg

Pork cheeks were lightly coated in a mustard before a homemade rub of salt, black pepper, white pepper, onion granuales, mustard powder & smoked paprika
    20180712_173221.jpg

Beef ribs were just coasted in a rub of salt, black pepper, white pepper & onion granuales
    20180712_173226.jpg

using a Webber kettle bbq. Its not ideal theres no thermometer on it and the bottom air vent control has rusted away so I improvised by shoving tin foil into the vents however this caused the heat to die down after about 90 minutes so had to pull some of it out and it got it back up and running

20180712_220057.jpg

Took the pork cheeks off after about 3 hours. I had planned to give them 2 hours but with the heat issue i left them longer. They came off nice and tender however the flavours were very over powering. I used way too much wood chips (about 2.5-3 handfuls) and the smoke flavour was very strong & over powering. The rub used was to over powering in a spicy way and didnt give any flavour just the sensation of a spicy burn

20180712_221811.jpg

Took the beef ribs off after 6 hours as it was getting late but really should have left them on for another 90 minutes to 2 hours. There was still a good bit of fat to be rendered and the meat could have been more tender. The smoke flavour wasnt to over powering on these compared to the cheeks

20180713_092153.jpg

Learned a few things from last night - Go easy on the rub and overpowering flavours. Cut down a bit on the wood chips especially with a stronger wood. Time, plenty of time more then you think and not to start smoking at 630 in the evening. Going to treat myself today and go and buy an offset smoker for the weekend to do the rest of the ribs that I didnt cook so i,ll be starting them late Sunday morning

Mesquite is a strong smoke...try cherry next time, it's great with beef and pork imo. Chunks are better than chips too, but if using chips, don't soak them, you're just creating steam.

Beef ribs are definitely not an evening job... Can take a long time. From the picture, I don't think you were 90 minutes or 2 hours away from that fat rendering... probably double that. Try wrapping after 2 hours to speed things up and reduce likelihood of oversmoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think I will go down the asado route next year. I cooked on one a few times when staying at a hostel in Argentina during a ski season there. You should check out this French company who make and ship them.
    https://www.monsieur-bbq.com/collections/bbq-equipment

I absolutely loved the Sunday BBQs in Argentina, they would start around 3pm and finish about 9pm after a good six or seven courses of meat, it was pure glutony :D

blue note wrote: »
    What offset cooker are you looking at? And why offset instead of a Weber smokey mountain for example?

I think the offset ones look great, but I keep reading that cheap ones are pointless. The b

A landmann they have in homebase. I dont want to spend a fortune on another bbq for the moment and would like to get a bit more practice in

fitz wrote: »
    Mesquite is a strong smoke...try cherry next time, it's great with beef and pork imo. Chunks are better than chips too, but if using chips, don't soak them, you're just creating steam.

Beef ribs are definitely not an evening job... Can take a long time. From the picture, I don't think you were 90 minutes or 2 hours away from that fat rendering... probably double that. Try wrapping after 2 hours to speed things up and reduce likelihood of oversmoking.

Ive never seen chunks in any of the places I buy bbq stuff in (woodies, B&Q, homebase & local diy stores) but would love to get my hands on some. Wood chips I got before recommended soaking and i did try ones unsoaked before which just burned very quickly so Ive always soaked but maybe with a better quality chip they will work better. Ive a bag of Webber Hickory chips aswell I,ll try next. I might try put the rest of the ribs in the oven this evening and see does that do any thing for them.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I absolutely loved the Sunday BBQs in Argentina, they would start around 3pm and finish about 9pm after a good six or seven courses of meat, it was pure glutony :D

and a good few bottles of local Malbec aswell??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jeffrey Lebowski

neris wrote: »
    A landmann they have in homebase. I dont want to spend a fortune on another bbq for the moment and would like to get a bit more practice in

Ive never seen chunks in any of the places I buy bbq stuff in (woodies, B&Q, homebase & local diy stores) but would love to get my hands on some. Wood chips I got before recommended soaking and i did try ones unsoaked before which just burned very quickly so Ive always soaked but maybe with a better quality chip they will work better. Ive a bag of Webber Hickory chips aswell I,ll try next. I might try put the rest of the ribs in the oven this evening and see does that do any thing for them.

I bought wood chunks off this place, they deliver too : https://sausagehut.ie/index.php?route=product/category&path=33_70

Advertisement