Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Funnily enough I regularly barbecue with a good mate, nicknamed meathead since 1998 when we were in school, and we have both used a couple of the more famous meathead's recipes which we got online :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Ive just put 4 racks on the ProQ, spring has truly arrived!

Now to see how it performs in the snow haha

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

Poultry day today on the WSM. Chicken thighs and wings and a couple of turkey drummers. Rubbed with Angus and Oink Porky White Chick+Hot and Hostile and smoked with cherry wood. Half to be tossed in Alabama,half in bbq sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Made my 1st batch of white sauce tonight for use tomorrow but the recipe i followed had apple juice in it weigh I forgot to get. Hope it will be ok. Seen other recipes online that don't mention it in the recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

neris wrote: »
    Made my 1st batch of white sauce tonight for use tomorrow but the recipe i followed had apple juice in it weigh I forgot to get. Hope it will be ok. Seen other recipes online that don't mention it in the recipe

Meathead’s recipe includes it also and it’s very nice!

• Advertisement

surball wrote: »
    Meathead’s recipe includes it also and it’s very nice!

That's the recipe I followed. I might grab some juice in the morning and bung it in. I made the Columbia gold sauce last week and turned out really well on ribs

Rain held off this evening just a bit windy but got there. Chicken in rub on the vortex & finished off with Alabama white sauce

20190310-201042.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Hi,

I'm having trouble finding the liquid smoke, so what would you all recommend as the best off the shelf BBQ sauce? If I need to get one.

Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

galwayllm wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm having trouble finding the liquid smoke, so what would you all recommend as the best off the shelf BBQ sauce? If I need to get one.

Thanks for any help.

I get liquid smoke from Supervalu; Stubbs Mesquite Liquid Smoke, its around a tenner. They do an amazing BBQ sauce too, the Spicy one rather than the Hickory (in my opinion).

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

If you cant find liquid smoke just make your own non smokey sauce. Alot of the bbq sauces we get here are just ****e packed with sugar and god knows what else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

This stuff works.

Alternatively use some chipotle peppers/flakes and give the sauce a quick blend when its done.

Tesco have a new range of chilis in their dry spice section. Arbol, chipotle, ancho etc.

Thank you so much.

Does anyone have a go-to rub for short back ribs?

Thanks for all of your help

Memphis dust for ribs

Can I get this in the shops?

get the ingridients in a shop and make it at home. its only jars of herbs, spices and a bit of sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Just make your own. The Tesco dried spices start at 79c each. I would love to hear Schwartz justification for charging 5 times more for the same product.

Very important to have a well stocked pantry! A Memphis rub can be knocked up in a minute.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/memphis-bbq-rub-335875

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Neris where did you get the vortex?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I might get a stainless steel dog bowl and cut the end off. I'll report back in a couple of days.

• Advertisement

New Russian mangal grill.

20190323-161838.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Didn't know they had a name. I've been using one for years (wife is Eastern European).

The slots along the top are a godsend for doing kebabs (shasklika), which is the only thing that it's used for tbf. The slots on mine are slightly different though. They're only a few mm wide and about 1cm deep to accommodate the large meat skewers.

51twZzcSAsL._SX466_.jpg

It's the twisted bits that get inserted into the slots and then you just move them forward bit by bit and the meat turns. The ingenious bit is that they lock into place stopping that annoying bit where conventional kebabs just keep rolling around to the heaviest part.

Ive been wanting one for years but havent seen them any where here in about 10 years. I have the long flat skewers and was getting fed up only been able to cook on the flat sides with the grills i had and its a pain the backside using them on a kettle to because theyre either to short for the middle or they dont cook as well on outer side
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Didn't know they had a name. I've been using one for years (wife is Eastern European).

The slots along the top are a godsend for doing kebabs (shasklika), which is the only thing that it's used for tbf. The slots on mine are slightly different though. They're only a few mm wide and about 1cm deep to accommodate the large meat skewers.

51twZzcSAsL._SX466_.jpg

It's the twisted bits that get inserted into the slots and then you just move them forward bit by bit and the meat turns. The ingenious bit is that they lock into place stopping that annoying bit where conventional kebabs just keep rolling around to the heaviest part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Just a heads up got the Weber rapidfire starter kit for a bargain €8 in B&Q

https://www.weber.com/GB/en/accessories/cooking/charcoal-briquettes-and-accessories/17631.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I see Weber are giving away the iGrill 3 probe with their gas bbqs. I'm getting a Spirit II 310 in the next few weeks..anyone any experience using these probes? Am wondering should I buy now, or wait to see if they have another offer of something else in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

Have the igrill 2 that I use for my WSM and its quite good apart from when bluetooth goes out of range. The app is simple to use allowing you to set the temp you want or choose the meat/joint and use predetermined values. Produces a graph as well showing the rise in temp and interesting to to see when it stalls. Definitely better than lifting the lid and manually checking the temp.

Just been into my local woodies and was sucked into the bbq section. Looking at some of the Weber stuff and huge savings to buy from the Weber website and wait a few days. I've a 57cm kettle that I need a cover for. €60 in the shop €40 online. They also had a replacement weber grill grate with hinged openings. €70 in shop I got a similar non weber on amazon for about 30 quid a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

BaZmO* wrote: »

51twZzcSAsL._SX466_.jpg

Where can I get these types of skeweres, I have only seen the thin ones in shops mostly?

Over here amazons your best bet but the polish/lithuanian shops may have them. I saw Woodies had flat ones but not the twisty part when i was in yesterday but they were only 2 per pack and dont know what price they were

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

thanks - thought about Amazon the minute after I posted this :-)
    ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Advertisement