Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

This crowd do them aswell but not sure if they deliver to Ireland. I got my managl off them through amazon but had to get it sent via parcel motel even though it came from france

https://www.madacha.com/en/19-grill-and-barbecue

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Debub wrote: »
    Where can I get these types of skeweres, I have only seen the thin ones in shops mostly?

I was just given a load of them. I’ll ask the father in law where he gets them, but I’d imagine he gets them in the local Polish/Lithuanian shop.

Just found out that they get them when they’re back home in Lithuanian.

Although you can get them in Lituanica

Taken from their FB page from last summer.

476839.png

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

will look then up - Lituanica
    thanks BaZmo

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Hi All,

Anybody know a bricks and mortar shop in south Dublin that has lumpwood in stock at the moment.
    Woodies have stopped doing it.
    Trying to fuel a last minute low and slow cook tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Wavey.

• Advertisement

Homebase, b&q, Tesco. Better off with briquttes for a low & slow. Lump burns to quick

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As above, I’d use briquettes for low & slow.

In addition to the big name chains, I sometimes go to the garden furniture place in Goatstwon. They’re more expensive but they do stock Weber charcoal which quite good quality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

**Threads merged :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

not last minute but Nisbets ship overnight (free for orders over EUR70) and their lump charcoal is by far my favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I also use briquettes for low and slow as I find they produce a more sustained and predictable temperature.

However, I watched a video recently suggesting that very good quality lump wood charcoal is better and produces heat for longer. Obviously the bags of lump wood charcoal generally available don't fit the "very good quality" descrption.

I wonder are the any retailers that sell really good lump wood in Ireland.

The catering lump is quite big and burns longer then the normal bitty stuff you get in the local hardware however you still wont get as long out of them as the good briquettes.

Ive grilled using a mix of both lump and briquette but never tried for a long smoke. Must experiment in the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

one big issue with lump charcoal is how it is stored over winter. Even if you can find any in local hardware store it can be quite damp so does not work very well. Much to the annoyance of my family I keep my sacks of Nibets BigK indoors all the time so it is always nice and dry.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    one big issue with lump charcoal is how it is stored over winter. Even if you can find any in local hardware store it can be quite damp so does not work very well. Much to the annoyance of my family I keep my sacks of Nibets BigK indoors all the time so it is always nice and dry.

worse ones are those light the bag ones if left in the shed during a cold period or over winter they take an age to light and fire up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Looking for some advice. Thinking of investing in a new charcoal BBQ. Have a cheap open landman with no lid I got in aldi that I've only grilled on. Would like to try some roasting/smoking too. Tempted to go all out and get a ProQ smoker it does look very versatile that you can still grill on it but it's way more than I want to spend. Weber kettle probably makes the most sense it will still be mostly used for grilling I'd say.

Weber Master touch is €242 delivered here good bit cheaper than the €330 rrp it's most places. Think it may be missing the charcoal baskets though.
    https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/weber-mastertouch-gbs-57cm-barbecue-p417867

If I had the money I'd go for this but I can't find it discounted anywhere €379 is too much
    https://www.aroomoutside.ie/charcoal-bbq-grill/weber-master-touch-gbs-premium-e-5775-charcoal-barbecue-57-cm.html

Considering this one in woodies €292 delivered or can save a fiver if I'm in Dublin in store. Think it's an older model but it has the charcoal baskets, the smoke setting on the bottom vent and bracket for the Igrill thermometer. Is it worth the extra €50? It's tempting and I would prefer to buy from an Irish company.
    https://www.woodies.ie/garden-and-outdoor/outdoor-living/barbecue/weber-master-touch-5750-1157355

Or should I just save my money and get the Weber Original kettle only €150 here
    https://www.arboretum.ie/weber-one-touch-original-57cm-barbecue-grill-077924004070/

It's a lot more affordable but looking at them in the shops all the little extra's on Master Touch make it seem to be worth the extra. The hinged GBS grate is a big plus. Lid holder and bigger sealed ash catcher are nice. They seem a better height and build quality seems a little better.

Very hard to compare what you're getting sometimes lot of dealers don't list the Weber model number so can't be sure of what accessories you get with the kettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gallowshill

I bbq all year round and have started off with the cheapest and moved up. My advice is buy the best that you can afford. I deal with a room outside the whole time. I know they have open days in their 2 shops one in Limerick and the other in either wicklow or wexford. They usually sell demo models at the open days. I know they have one on this saturday in Limerick.

The weber original kettle is a great grill and can be easily used for smoking and has a good range of accessories and spares you can get over time. Ive had one for the best part of 10 years now and the lid and main part are still in good nick and used regularly in all weathers. Would advise though to get a cover if being left outside. Check out Webers site aswell some of their stuff is cheaper to buy in their online store then a shop here. The master touch at €379 is the newest model in that range is only out a few months. Bar a sear grate, ash catcher and hinged lid its the same grill.

neris wrote: »
    The weber original kettle is a great grill and can be easily used for smoking and has a good range of accessories and spares you can get over time. Ive had one for the best part of 10 years now and the lid and main part are still in good nick and used regularly in all weathers. Would advise though to get a cover if being left outside. Check out Webers site aswell some of their stuff is cheaper to buy in their online store then a shop here. The master touch at €379 is the newest model in that range is only out a few months. Bar a sear grate, ash catcher and hinged lid its the same grill.

Probably will keep it in the shed for now but hoping to do something in the back garden so I can have a more permanent cooking area left set up so will pick up a cover then.

Knew the E-5775 is new €380 seems to be about best price for it if I could find a 10% discount code some where it brings it a bit closer to budget. It has a charcoal ring holder and steel diffuser plate too so it works better as smoker. As you said it's pretty much the same grill as the regular master touch. Probably not worth the extra €90 over the model in woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭blue note

I just bought an original weber kettle. I bought online from the UK because it was the best deal - 140 pounds with a cover.

I'd love to go kamado, but can't see myself being able to justify it in the next few years so said I'd get a good kettle for now.

Friday just gone, cooked 3 kilo of pork belly into pork belly burnt ends. Used this recipe: https://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/

Used indirect smoking method on a Weber kettle.

Changed the glaze but by using OJ instead of apple juice and honey instead of jam.

Boiled and cooked the leftover skin in the oven to make scratchings.

All of the above was delicious!

<tried to attach pics but they are too large, I will edit them at home later and attach>

• Advertisement

This came this morning might be handy for any one in the area

20190410-113524.jpg

His videos are very good and as some one said on his youtube if you cant trust a fat guy to talk about BBQ who can you trust
    jim o doom wrote: »
    Friday just gone, cooked 3 kilo of pork belly into pork belly burnt ends. Used this recipe: https://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Folks,

I'm not sure that this is the right thread but its all I can find!

I'm looking to buy my first gas bbq for the summer season. I understand Weber are best but they are well over €500. I dont mind spending a bit and have found this as an alternative

https://gasproducts.co.uk/outdoor-living/gas-bbqs-gas-grills/char-broil-convective-410b-gas-bbq.html

I'd appreciate any comments regarding same or even an alternative suggestion at that price point.

Many thanks (and mods move if in wrong thread).

This gas weber q2200 in Woodies seems good value? Seemed very well made it's certainly a lot better than most of the other brands I've seen in the flesh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Ryath wrote: »
    This gas weber q2200 in Woodies seems good value? Seemed very well made it's certainly a lot better than most of the other brands I've seen in the flesh.

We bought that one last summer, it was on special offer then too. We've barbecued all through the winter on it, it's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

We bought that one last summer, it was on special offer then too. We've barbecued all through the winter on it, it's brilliant.

I picked one up in woodies last week. Any recommendations for accessories? E.g. I see they have some roasting trays etc

I'd be tempted to get one of those. I love BBQing but it can be a bit time consuming when using charcoal especially during the week if you're just looking to cook a steak or fish quickly. That one looks nice and compact.

Do you have to use lava rocks with it or does it just heat the grill?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'd be tempted to get one of those. I love BBQing but it can be a bit time consuming when using charcoal especially during the week if you're just looking to cook a steak or fish quickly. That one looks nice and compact.

I have a charcoal Weber and would love a gas one. And a Kamado Joe.. and a smoker.. and a pizza oven.. I may have an addiction here. :eek:

jim o doom wrote: »
    I have a charcoal Weber and would love a gas one. And a Kamado Joe.. and a smoker.. and a pizza oven.. I may have an addiction here. :eek:

I,d be killed if another bbq or outdoor cooking device turned up in the back garden. I bought an offset smoker & half drum charcoal grill last year and both have barely been used. Ive already bought another 2 & accessories for the weber kettle this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Ryath wrote: »

That Weber does, indeed, seem nice but perhaps a little too small as I have to cook for 6/7 when it is being used.

Has anyone any experience of Charbroil products? They seem mid-range i.e. a cut above the Home Store & More bbqs but lower than Weber?

Advertisement