Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Have a look at Broil King as well. Hearth and Home supply them as well as aroomoutside. They are much higher quality than the equivalent Weber for less money. And I mean MUCH better quality. All the metal is thicker and heavier gauge, the cast iron grates are heavy duty. The heater box is bigger. Shelves and storage are come as standard. It has wheels etc.

The only issue I have is the lack of accessories compared to the Weber and that’s only minor as obviously all can be got online. Plus, if you’re any good with a grinder then you can cut about 1” off the Weber grates and they fit perfectly if you ever want to replace them with stainless grates and all the Weber grate accessories for then !!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Woodies used to have a brand called Outback that did gas. My parents bought one and was a good size and had a grill and griddle and rack in the lid. Dont know if they still do them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

neris wrote: »
    Woodies used to have a brand called Outback that did gas. My parents bought one and was a good size and had a grill and griddle and rack in the lid. Dont know if they still do them

I've an Outback. Love it. The hotplate is great and works well for indirect cooking.

110380-800x800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

The best thing about webber is that all the parts are easily sourced and replaced as they do wear out over time so it can last you a very long time if not forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I,d be killed if another bbq or outdoor cooking device turned up in the back garden. I bought an offset smoker & half drum charcoal grill last year and both have barely been used. Ive already bought another 2 & accessories for the weber kettle this year.

Haha oh god I know that problem. I have a large offset smoker, but the fire box isn't quite big enough, so I'm going to clean it up and sell it.

Also have a Bradley 6 rack digital smoker but I don't really like it.. so have to clean it up and sell it.

Trying to convince my wife that spending the money on one of the bigger kamado joes is worth it if I get decent money for what I'm getting rid of.

If I had the chance, I'd have such a beast of an outdoor cooking set up. But I'm limited by both space and money :(

• Advertisement

Never been that pushed for a kamodo or a gas bbq but would like to build my own ugly drum smoker but even then I think I'd have to hide all the parts till it's built a few weeks and then have it magically appear.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I was travelling in the US last week and saw this in a store..

Outdoor Gourmet 5-Burner Island Grill and Kamado

If I could have found a way to get it back......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Just got this via email from A Room Outside
    Open day LIMERICK APRIL 13TH

You are invited

Come along to Our First Open day of the Season, this SATURDAY APRIL 13th, This is a FREE event in our Limerick store.
    Sample some delicious barbecued dishes from an extensive Menu and have a walk around our custom designed showroom, we also have deals available on the day.

See you all there!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The Outback bbq's aren't make with quality parts these days. My dad had one 25 years ago, it did him 20 years. The one he replaced it with 5 years ago is nearly due to be changed already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

beertons wrote: »
    The Outback bbq's aren't make with quality parts these days. My dad had one 25 years ago, it did him 20 years. The one he replaced it with 5 years ago is nearly due to be changed already.

I give my one a good clean every spring and its still perfect. Had it for 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Do you have to use lava rocks with it or does it just heat the grill?
    No there are no lava rocks, it's just a cast iron grill - which is excellent for steaks.
    I picked one up in woodies last week. Any recommendations for accessories? E.g. I see they have some roasting trays etc
    I haven't bothered buying accessories, though I already had the double pronged skewers and vegetable tray that I picked up on sale a few years ago. We're definitely going to buy the griddle plate because Himself fancies cooking breakfast on it. For drip trays etc B&Q sell a brand called Blooma which are almost identical to Weber and a fraction of the price.

Now that's a lump

20190412-194924.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Now that's a lump

20190412-194924.jpg

I used to use that stuff “restaurant grade..”.. Ended up having to smash it with a hammer to get it to light!! What do you make of it?

I used it in the slow n sear to do reverse sear and didn't work. The coals are too big for using with limited airflow and had to break them down and then they burned very quickly. I'll try them again but not overly impressed tonight.

Though steaks turned out good in the end

20190412-215139.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

I used to use that stuff “restaurant grade..â€.. Ended up having to smash it with a hammer to get it to light!! What do you make of it?

I use it all the time some big lumps like that but it burns well and for about fifteen euro a bag ya cant go wrong.

I use it all the time some big lumps like that but it burns well and for about fifteen euro a bag ya cant go wrong.

How do you get it started? 45 mins in the chimney starter and its barely glowing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

How do you get it started? 45 mins in the chimney starter and its barely glowing

Place your smaller bits into the chimney pointing upwards i use the weber blocks for starting it. When the chimney gets hot on bottom give it a shake usually takes about ten or fifteen minutes to get a chimney going.

Rotisserie chicken on the weber last night!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Half a leg of lamb, marinating since last night in yoghurt and Middle Eastern shtyle spices.

Usually a winner. First time this spring lighting the charcoal kettle, it’s been has grilling all winter.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Just pulled the trigger on this. Arriving tomorrow. One side gas, the other charcoal.

It'll be interesting to move back to charcoal after years of gas.

71TyoEwnTaL._SX425_.jpg

Mixed reviews online, but most of the positive ones come as a result of proper seasoning on first fire up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Brian? wrote: »
    Half a leg of lamb, marinating since last night in yoghurt and Middle Eastern shtyle spices.

Usually a winner. First time this spring lighting the charcoal kettle, it’s been has grilling all winter.

Do you barbecue that lamb in a normal coal kettle bbq or do you need a rotisserie arrangement?

newbie2 wrote: »
    Just pulled the trigger on this. Arriving tomorrow. One side gas, the other charcoal.

It'll be interesting to move back to charcoal after years of gas.

71TyoEwnTaL._SX425_.jpg

Mixed reviews online, but most of the positive ones come as a result of proper seasoning on first fire up

I have the gas side of that bucko for 7 years. Served me extremely well.

they/them/theirs

dixiefly wrote: »
    Do you barbecue that lamb in a normal coal kettle bbq or do you need a rotisserie arrangement?

Direct charcoal grilling. No need for anything special.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Brian? wrote: »
    Direct charcoal grilling. No need for anything special.

How long does that take? I'd usually do it indirect, have never tried it directly over the coals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Just got this via email from A Room Outside

Well worth a visit. Busy little spot and tasted some nice food. Brown bread from the kamado was unreal and some cold smoked salmon...yum. Picked up a monolith kamado myself, along with some rubs, sauces and jelllies. Cant wait for delivery . They had the new kamado joe classic 3 there, looks awesome but its about 2 grand.
    Some really cool stuff in that shop. The people that run it seem really sound and know their stuff Highly recommend a visit for anyone into grilling.

How long does that take? I'd usually do it indirect, have never tried it directly over the coals.

I kept the heat low, top vent open about 20%. 30 minutes.

they/them/theirs

Is there any sites that have good recipes for Kamado ovens?
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

cheers

Yes, Kamado Guru forum and the Kamado Joe cooking channel on YouTube. I found the latter very good for the first few months of Kamado cooking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

cheers
    The various Big Green Egg and Kamado Joe forums are pretty good for that sort of thing if you really need a Kamado-specific recipe.

However, I think your best bet is to ignore recipes for "Kamado" and just get used to using it.
    • Master getting it to sit at a low indirect temp, then any barbecue recipe is at your mercy.
    • Master getting it to nuclear hot, and any recipe requiring a good sear is equally at your mercy.
    • And of course when you've mastered both then the glorious reverse sear is in play!

A kamado is just a tool.

A damned good tool, though :-)

Advertisement