Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Guys I've picked up a gas BBQ in Woodies.

First time using gas as always had charcoal.

Have it all put together and hooked up to gas bottle but not getting any gas or flame.

I tried switching for another type of gas but same problem.

Is it possible the gas regulator is the wrong type? Friend rekons it could be an American fitting.

Anyone ever had this problem?

Don't want to buy a new regulator (30 euro) if it won't work. Thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

is there gas coming out of the burner units? The hiss of gas or tried lighting with a match? There are different heads on the hoses for different gas bottle fittings to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

If the nozzle fits it should work. When you clamp the nozzle down you should hear the gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

If you can lift the tank of gas when lifting it with the regulator then in all likelihood it's on right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Maybe you need a patio gas can? My mother's latest BBQ needs that instead of the usual one from petrol stations. It's a PITA to get.

On an unrelated note, the cheap chimney starter that was talked about on here last year is back in Tesco - 8 euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

Dipping my toe in here.
    Got myself a Wild Goose kamado last week. It was only afterwards I saw a few in here also have one.
    Anyway first night, first cook, was salmon on a plank and sautéed veg.
    salmon.jpg
    Lunch next day was pizza
    pizza.JPG
    And then why waste all that heat made some bread :)
    bread.jpg

I was surprised how well I was able to control the temp - granted these weren't long cooks but still.
    I expected the Pizza to cook faster, but tasted fine. Need to dig out a dough recipe a get going with skinny bases!

-Coley.

It's so clean! :D

*Brisket*
    I have a brisket ordered for the weekend - it will be my second attempt to cook it on the kamado. Last time didn't go so well - I had it on around 7 am and had to take it off at around 190 because it was getting late into the evening (9pm or so) and people were getting hungry. I know I could have wrapped it but didn't, the stress of the stall really got me that day.

So this time I am planning an overnight cook from about 10pm to hopefully 1pm or so and then let it rest in the cooler until we're ready to eat around 3pm. My main worries are that it will be cooked much too early or that it will dry out because I won't be able to baste or spritz it throughput the cook as I'll be in bed.

Any tips from people here?

- How long after the cook can I rest it in a cooler box? I'm thinking up to 3 hours would be fine.
    - How do my timings look?
    - is 7 hours of no basting or spritzing a big issue?

Any advice or insights appreciated :)

What size & type of brisket did you order? Best tips for brisket will be on YouTube. Mad scientist bbq, how to bbq right & Harry soo will have some good videos.

neris wrote: »
    What size & type of brisket did you order? Best tips for brisket will be on YouTube. Mad scientist bbq, how to bbq right & Harry soo will have some good videos.

He's going to cut it for me when I call in tomorrow. I always order the size by showing the butcher how big with my hands :D

Maybe 6 - 8 lbs or something like that

I've my first kamado slow and low on right now.thankfully the wind has calmed down.
    Went to the local butchers late yesterday and he had feck all on the shelf.
    got a 4kg pork neck,hopefully get 13/14 hours cooking time on it.
    ready for lunch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

budgemook wrote: »
    It's so clean! :D

*Brisket*
    I have a brisket ordered for the weekend - it will be my second attempt to cook it on the kamado. Last time didn't go so well - I had it on around 7 am and had to take it off at around 190 because it was getting late into the evening (9pm or so) and people were getting hungry. I know I could have wrapped it but didn't, the stress of the stall really got me that day.

So this time I am planning an overnight cook from about 10pm to hopefully 1pm or so and then let it rest in the cooler until we're ready to eat around 3pm. My main worries are that it will be cooked much too early or that it will dry out because I won't be able to baste or spritz it throughput the cook as I'll be in bed.

Any tips from people here?

- How long after the cook can I rest it in a cooler box? I'm thinking up to 3 hours would be fine.
    - How do my timings look?
    - is 7 hours of no basting or spritzing a big issue?

Any advice or insights appreciated :)

You could do the brisket hot n fast. Get the temp steady and blast away. If YouTube has taught me anything (it has) it's that brisket can take a quicker hotter cook.

11 hours in,
    Held around 105c throughout the night dispite the howling wind.
    Hopefully it will hold a bit longer but I've a feeling it's going to start dropping off within the next hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Aldi selling a Kamado over here for £349, tempting.

C_19Kamado-COL-2-2_20190304_UK.jpg?o=i5SsSbWvAy8Y71BNvRI4qZE1L0Mj&V=7dO7&p=2&w=470&h=380&q=90

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I see Aldi are selling an offset smoker too. Anyone know what they're like?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Just put some beef cheeks on the PROQ Bullet

Pics to follow

mhepeh.jpg

It's that tin foil in the water pan? I find the water pan a bit of a nuisance on the pro q. Too big and affects the temp if your water temps not right

It's that tin foil in the water pan? I find the water pan a bit of a nuisance on the pro q. Too big and affects the temp if your water temps not right

I cover the water pan with foil because its a bastard to clean otherwise

Never had a issue with it affecting the temp tbh

Over all i really love the Pro Q

How do you find yours?

I think it's great used it last Friday to do racks of spare ribs and got 8 racks on. Small bit of leakage I can live with as it holds temp and cooks long. I've pretty much stopped using my other 2 for cooking unless I have to. Haven't used it as a grill yet though

Cheeks now wrapped and in sherry until they reach and internal of 200 - 210 f

• Advertisement

Unrolled my brisket there to find it in three pieces, none of them very thick at all. Have given up on the all night cook plan and will start early instead. Will also start looking for a new butcher!

My pork came out beautifully.
    16 hours at 110 or so.
    Kamado was still hot 2/3 hours after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭banie01

budgemook wrote: »
    Unrolled my brisket there to find it in three pieces, none of them very thick at all. Have given up on the all night cook plan and will start early instead. Will also start looking for a new butcher!

Last one I bought was a 12kg monster on the bone that I had to get cut up into 3rds.
    Basically an entire forequarter.

Hard to find a butcher in Limerick that will supply plain brisket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

My pork came out beautifully.
    16 hours at 110 or so.
    Kamado was still hot 2/3 hours after that!

Nicely done. What cut of pork is that?

RasTa wrote: »
    Aldi selling a Kamado over here for £349, tempting.

C_19Kamado-COL-2-2_20190304_UK.jpg?o=i5SsSbWvAy8Y71BNvRI4qZE1L0Mj&V=7dO7&p=2&w=470&h=380&q=90

Someone from a different forum I follow bought a Kamado from Aldi in the UK last year and was pretty happy with it. Go for it.

Ardent wrote: »
    Nicely done. What cut of pork is that?

Pork neck.

Just hitting the stall now I think - put the two pieces of brisket on at around 6:30. They both seem to be cooking at the seen speed which is surprising as one piece is much fattier.

Fingers crossed that both pieces come out okay the other side and in time for lunch!

Edit - cooked, 3 hours early. Wrap it up and into the cooler box!

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Pork neck.
    Pork neck is so readily available in Polish shops and is really, really good value. Does a great bit of pulled pork.

Tell people your serving them pork neck rather then pulled pork and their faces contort in disgust. We seem to have an attitude over here towards meat now that if it isn't the best cut and available in a supermarket it's crap. I do pork cheeks regularly and if people have eaten and then ask what it is you can see them nearly wanting to retch even though they wolfed them down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tell people your serving them pork neck rather then pulled pork and their faces contort in disgust. We seem to have an attitude over here towards meat now that if it isn't the best cut and available in a supermarket it's crap. I do pork cheeks regularly and if people have eaten and then ask what it is you can see them nearly wanting to retch even though they wolfed them down

Reminds me of a time many years ago when I'd made some toasted sandwiches for some friends . One friend loudly and enthusiastically declared that it was the nicest toastie she'd ever eaten and wanted to know what I did to make it so tasty.

I explained that I had put a little paté in with the cheese and ham. She actually spat out what was in her mouth and refused to eat any more of the "nicest toastie ever". There was a little respect lost that day that was never regained.

Advertisement