Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Hi guys

I’m interested in getting a bullet smoker and am wondering which is the better option - 47in Weber Smoky Mountain or the Pro Q Frontier Elite?

Weber is €399 on the official site.

https://www.weber.com/IE/en/barbecues/charcoal-barbecues/smokey-mountain-cooker-series/721004.html?cgid=220

Can see the Pro Q on A Room Outside for €345 with cover and bag of lumpwood.

https://www.aroomoutside.ie/proq-frontier-elite-bbq-smoker-810.html

Is the Weber better for build quality and peace of mind?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I got the Pro Q with cover and coal a few weeks back and no complaints with it. Holds the heat well when managed properly and can cook a good bit on it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

nialldinho wrote: »
    Hi guys

I’m interested in getting a bullet smoker and am wondering which is the better option - 47in Weber Smoky Mountain or the Pro Q Frontier Elite?

Weber is €399 on the official site.

https://www.weber.com/IE/en/barbecues/charcoal-barbecues/smokey-mountain-cooker-series/721004.html?cgid=220

Can see the Pro Q on A Room Outside for €345 with cover and bag of lumpwood.

https://www.aroomoutside.ie/proq-frontier-elite-bbq-smoker-810.html

Is the Weber better for build quality and peace of mind?

Thanks

I did a fair bit of research on those two when I was buying mine.

Ive the 57cm Weber and 5 years in, a few house moves and the last 8 months sat unused in the garden its still perfect.

The ProQs are great it seems, only difference is it leaks a little more heat and smoke, are slightly more laboursome to clean and the latches are a bit of a pain.

But they're basically the same thing.

I would advise to go a bit bigger though if you're planning feeding a lot of people at one time. 43cm diameter isn't that big. Just for comparison, a rack of ribs can be 45cm long so you wouldn't fit one in a 43cm smoker.

This can help with that though.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3bwsFwGaAHPjASLEB-_prQWrfR3dzZR2UHCWE-xUcvyuxVrBh

neris wrote: »
    I got the Pro Q with cover and coal a few weeks back and no complaints with it. Holds the heat well when managed properly and can cook a good bit on it to.

Thanks.

Another thing I meant to ask was about heat management. I’ve read somewhere that the Weber is very good at this and could be left overnight with no intervention.

Not sure if that’s true but would the same be possible with the Pro Q?

If you stack it with enough fuel and get it burning properly it should last hours. Just don't use the lump you get with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bamayang

Anyone see the Aldi smoker. Be worth it as a cheap way of dipping the toe into smoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Reminds me of a time many years ago when I'd made some toasted sandwiches for some friends . One friend loudly and enthusiastically declared that it was the nicest toastie she'd ever eaten and wanted to know what I did to make it so tasty.

I explained that I had put a little paté in with the cheese and ham. She actually spat out what was in her mouth and refused to eat any more of the "nicest toastie ever". There was a little respect lost that day that was never regained.
    That is quite, quite glorious.

bamayang wrote: »
    Anyone see the Aldi smoker. Be worth it as a cheap way of dipping the toe into smoking?

Yep should work fine. One of the best smokehouses I ever ate from used an old fridge. The Green Eggs et al are a rip off.

Double post.

Will use it to post this

Reference Guide for Woods used to Smoke Food

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

bamayang wrote: »

I have similar one from Home Store and More. Only smoked with it once so far but it worked fine. Looking forward to getting it out again soon.

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    Yep should work fine. One of the best smokehouses I ever ate from used an old fridge. The Green Eggs et al are a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

If on market for a new small gas BBQ the Independent.co.uk have a review of 11 options (most available in Ireland).

"11 best gas BBQs that you can use come rain or shine"

https://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/house-garden/bbqs-accessories/best-gas-bbqs-barbecues-10184057.html

Not surprising the most expensive one is their best buy which I would agree with them on.

Want to do some low and slow ribs at the weekend.
    Ight be a silly question but........
    What type of ribs should I be looking to buy!

Pork. Spare or baby backs and don't forget to remove the membrane off the back of them

Aldi have their chimney starter again from tomorrow. 7.99

https://www.aldi.ie/barbecue-days-charcoal-starter/p/097998269641400

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

That starter is as good as the Weber one for a third of the price.

Hi guys

I was tempted by a Weber smokey mountain but think I should start with a kettle. I’d use the grill and then could try smoking on it at some point.

Anyway, I’ve been looking at the Weber master touch but can’t figure out the different models. I assume some are old models and are cheaper. And others come with more accessories.

Is 275 a good price for the 57cm? I assume it is an old model or something..

https://www.theorchard.ie/weber-master-touch-gbs-charcoal-barbecue-57cm-spring-green/

Thanks

57cm is a good size to get for a kettle and is better in size if you get accessories for it in the future. Theres a similar model to that Weber thats a bit cheaper. The only difference is it doesnt have the ash catcher below

https://www.weber.com/IE/en/barbecues/charcoal-barbecues/original-kettle-series-/1341504.html?cgid=217#start=1

1341504AB_1800x1800.png?fit=fill&h=950&w=1000&trim=color&trimtol=10&bg=0FFF&pad=50

neris wrote: »
    57cm is a good size to get for a kettle and is better in size if you get accessories for it in the future. Theres a similar model to that Weber thats a bit cheaper. The only difference is it doesnt have the ash catcher below

https://www.weber.com/IE/en/barbecues/charcoal-barbecues/original-kettle-series-/1341504.html?cgid=217#start=1

1341504AB_1800x1800.png?fit=fill&h=950&w=1000&trim=color&trimtol=10&bg=0FFF&pad=50

Thanks. I had been looking at that alright. But liked the ash catcher thing. I think the master touch has the lid holder and also the better GBS grill. Maybe they don’t make that much difference except for convenience!

I think the grills are better on all the 2019 models but not sure where I saw that. Maybe that’s why the one I linked to is cheaper too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Hi guys

I was tempted by a Weber smokey mountain but think I should start with a kettle. I’d use the grill and then could try smoking on it at some point.

Anyway, I’ve been looking at the Weber master touch but can’t figure out the different models. I assume some are old models and are cheaper. And others come with more accessories.

https://www.theorchard.ie/weber-master-touch-gbs-charcoal-barbecue-57cm-spring-green/

Thanks

I have the Weber 57cm the last 3 years and has been excellent, paid over 400 at the time so I'd take it for 275 (that's a great price).

You can smoke on it very well to get yourself used to temp control and using wood etc. I use the snake method( have a look on YouTube) and when setup properly you can easily get a 10hr cook on it without too much work holding temp. Also when just grilling the 57cm holds alot of food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭blue note

I bought the one above a month ago and it's great. Got it from the UK with a cover for €150 I think. I'm still not convinced it's all that much better than the €60 tesco ones or equivalent, but I expect to have it for a few years so didn't mind paying the extra few euro just in case.

I'm really not sure if the advantage of the master touch to be honest. Very little extra for an extra €200 as far as I can see.

blue note wrote: »
    I bought the one above a month ago and it's great. Got it from the UK with a cover for €150 I think. I'm still not convinced it's all that much better than the €60 tesco ones or equivalent, but I expect to have it for a few years so didn't mind paying the extra few euro just in case.

I'm really not sure if the advantage of the master touch to be honest. Very little extra for an extra €200 as far as I can see.
    If your lid rusts or paint happens to start peeling, Weber will change it no questions asked, then you'll be glad you didn't buy from tesco :)

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Hi guys

Thanks
    It looks like the current model. Unless you get heavy into smoking meat then it's all you'll ever need.

Thanks guys

I think I might go for it even if it is an older model. Seems a decent price.

Good comparison of the models here too:

https://youtu.be/fQJ5zESXlK4

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi guys

Thanks

I bought the very same thing last year in June from these guys (they had the chimney starter and a bag of chips as free that time) Its a good deal i think and will do smoking quite well with the grilling. I am still very much an amateur, but have been able to get the meats smoking for as long as 6 hours using Weber briquettes. It is good - this thing. I bought this after a lot of research and trawling through these forums and it came highly recommended. Though I also paid 275 last year :-)

Another question!

I’m looking at thermometers now. The ThermoPro TP08 is £39.99 on amazon and the TP20S is 45.99.

Is the TP20S worth the extra £6?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Another question!

I’m looking at thermometers now. The ThermoPro TP08 is £39.99 on amazon and the TP20S is 45.99.

Thanks

Dunno. I have the TP08 and it's great.

Another question!

Thanks
    Never used a thermopro but was gonna pick up the thermo works smoke, but went for the inkbird myself and find the app easy to use and makes controlling temps a piece of piss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

Thanks guys

I think I might go for it even if it is an older model. Seems a decent price.

Good comparison of the models here too:

https://youtu.be/fQJ5zESXlK4

As others have said, the 57CM Master Touch is a great grill. I have mine 4 years now (I got it for €296 at the time), it's still rock solid and such a versatile grill. I've used it a huge amount throughout the year since I got it and cooked a massive range of things on it. There was a big difference in how food turned out in comparison to an Outback grill I'd had for a number of years before it (Weber's whole mantra of keeping the lid closed as much as possible is one of the main reasons, but the quality of the grill is excellent and well worth the money imo). I went on to buy a 57cm Smokey Mountain and that thing is amazing too, it holds the heat incredibly well and makes smoking very easy once you get to grips with it.

• Advertisement

Another question!

Thanks

Just buy one for 8 quid and test it yourself from time to time. The wireless/automated stuff take a lot of the fun out of it.

Advertisement