Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

I just used me tp20 for the first time this evening.
    Found it excellent, chicken was absolutely perfect.
    I was able to test it against a calibrated thermometer in work and it was only 2 degrees out.
    The button beep is awful though.
    Had to stuff some putty into the speaker hole to deaden it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

I bought a cheap thermometer recently but it takes 30 seconds to get the temperature on the screen. Waste of time, will be getting a better one ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

nialldinho wrote: »
    Hi guys

I was tempted by a Weber smokey mountain but think I should start with a kettle. I’d use the grill and then could try smoking on it at some point.

Anyway, I’ve been looking at the Weber master touch but can’t figure out the different models. I assume some are old models and are cheaper. And others come with more accessories.

Is 275 a good price for the 57cm? I assume it is an old model or something..

https://www.theorchard.ie/weber-master-touch-gbs-charcoal-barbecue-57cm-spring-green/

Thanks

So I went down to Orchard today and picked this up. Had some fun convincing them to give it to me for 275 and with the GBS poultry roaster. But they couldn’t really argue with their website in the end!

Can’t wait to get started with it. Does anyone have any good starter recipes?!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

What do you want to do with it 1st? Grill or low & slow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

budgemook wrote: »
    I bought a cheap thermometer recently but it takes 30 seconds to get the temperature on the screen. Waste of time, will be getting a better one ASAP.

This. Get a decent one, they aren't too expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

neris wrote: »
    What do you want to do with it 1st? Grill or low & slow?

I think I should start with the grill. I suppose the beer can chicken makes sense since I got the thing!

I have the barbecue bible at home so can check that too.

nialldinho wrote: »
    I think I should start with the grill. I suppose the beer can chicken makes sense since I got the thing!

I have the barbecue bible at home so can check that too.

Can't go wrong with beer can chicken!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The Nal wrote: »

"You've never seen a fine dining restaurant serve beer can chicken"

Pfffff - there's loads of deadly BBQ food that would never be seen in fine dining restaurants.

That said, I am partial to spatchcock chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Not clear if it is served in the restaurant, but some chefs certainly approve of it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/30-dishes-everyone-should-know-how-to-make-before-they-turn-30-according-to-michelin-starred-and-a8004926.html
    Steve Smith, head chef at Jersey-based Michelin-starred restaurant Bohemia, believes everyone should have a crowd-pleasing recipe up their sleeves. "When you're busy and don't find the time to cook, it's good to have a few staple dishes with you can whip up quickly," Smith said.

"You can't wrong with Beer Can Chicken on the BBQ if the weather's good."

tesco have a "fire pit" range. There is a brisket but it is intended to be cooked in the oven in a pouch, I guess you could take it out and save the sauce and cook it separate https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=fire%20pit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Don't bother with the beer can. It's a gimmick, and a bad one.

If you want to barbecue it standing up then get a cheap
    vertical roasting stand for a fiver. Otherwise just roast it in the "regular" position. Or spatchcock it.

Personally I LOVE spatchcock. It cooks fast, you get lots of crispy skin, and when guests see it splayed out like that they give an impressed nod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Some fillets on the GrillGrates. Probably my favourite BBQ accessory (apart from the chimney!)

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Anyone use BBQ Guru PartyQ or similar for their smoker? I saw a Chinese knock off called QMaster-Lite for half the price here - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F252226109850 - and any reviews I found of it seem pretty good. Not sure if the adaptors will fit my ProQ but I don't think it would be too difficult to mod.

Being able to set the temp and forget about it seems like a good idea to me, especially for any over night cooks! Any one have one or use anything like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

davegilly wrote: »
    Anyone use BBQ Guru PartyQ or similar for their smoker? I saw a Chinese knock off called QMaster-Lite for half the price here - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F252226109850 - and any reviews I found of it seem pretty good. Not sure if the adaptors will fit my ProQ but I don't think it would be too difficult to mod.

Being able to set the temp and forget about it seems like a good idea to me, especially for any over night cooks! Any one have one or use anything like this?
    I know the bbq guru is expensive but has been around a good while and used by many people on long cooks or left overnight, I'd be wary of leaving a Chinese knock off plugged in and unattended. WSM and bbq guru looks like the ultimate "set and forget"

rubadub wrote: »
    Not clear if it is served in the restaurant, but some chefs certainly approve of it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/30-dishes-everyone-should-know-how-to-make-before-they-turn-30-according-to-michelin-starred-and-a8004926.html
    Steve Smith, head chef at Jersey-based Michelin-starred restaurant Bohemia, believes everyone should have a crowd-pleasing recipe up their sleeves. "When you're busy and don't find the time to cook, it's good to have a few staple dishes with you can whip up quickly," Smith said.

"You can't wrong with Beer Can Chicken on the BBQ if the weather's good."

tesco have a "fire pit" range. There is a brisket but it is intended to be cooked in the oven in a pouch, I guess you could take it out and save the sauce and cook it separate https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=fire%20pit
    I get my brisket in a butchers in ballymount, but they only ever seem to have the flat, and does be trimmed of 90% of the fat so is very hard to keep moist even with low and slow and spritzing

Some beef cheeks on the offset smoker yesterday. Though was some crazy **** going on with the temps throughout

20190505-130002.jpg

Screenshot-20190505-184443-Easy-BBQ.jpg

Did a 16 hour pork shoulder in the kamado Saturday night/yesterday.
    Also 3 racks of ribs for 4 hours.
    Shoulder was amazing but the ribs were a disappointment.
    Lovely taste but they were extremely tough, was expecting them to be falling off the bone.

Had to adjust the temperature twice during the night, 3am and 4am,
    First long cook with the thermo Pro wireless thermometer (aka the baby monitor) and really happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Spatchcock chicken before and after on BGE. Cooking time 1 hour at 140C and then turned over on direct high heat for few mins to crisp skin.

479568.jpg

Lovely taste but they were extremely tough, was expecting them to be falling off the bone.

First long cook with the thermo Pro wireless thermometer (aka the baby monitor) and really happy with it.

Probably to short a cook time on the ribs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

neris wrote: »

Just one question on it!

They should have added option that you BBQ all year regardless of the weather.

How long you have the ribs on for?

FixitFelix wrote: »

5 hours at 110ish
    Fist time doing them in the kamado but aways have good results in the electric oven.
    Maybe I just got poor quality ribs to start with.

5 hours at 110ish
    Fist time doing them in the kamado but aways have good results in the electric oven.
    Maybe I just got poor quality ribs to start with.
    Did you use any of the wrapping methods? 3-2-1 or 2-2-1

Did you use any of the wrapping methods? 3-2-1 or 2-2-1

No:o
    whats that?

-Edit
    Looked that up,I will try this at the weekend.
    Thanks for the tip

what kind of ribs were you cooking? also did you remove the membrane off the back? 1st ribs i did I never removed it and the ribs were tough and a bit chewy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

How I do amazing and tender ribs in my Landmann offet smoker:

Remove membrane
    Cover in generous amounts of Meathead's Memphis Dust rub
    Get a good oak wood fire going
    Place a coupe of pans of water underneath the ribs
    Cook for 2.5 hours at 110 C
    Spritz with water or applee juice ever so often
    Remove ribs after 2.5 hours, cover in generous amounts of BBQ sauce and honey, wrap in foil
    Pop in the electric oven for another 2.5 hours at 110

Chow time!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Most of the racks of ribs we get here are always loin back (baby back) ribs and are far too stringy and lean to BBQ properly. Certainly for 4 hours.

The Nal wrote: »
    Most of the racks of ribs we get here are always loin back (baby back) ribs and are far too stringy and lean to BBQ properly. Certainly for 4 hours.

What should I be trying to get.
    Never seems to be much choice.

• Advertisement

Ive dont baby backs and spare ribs and find the spare ribs better. You need a good butcher though and not one of the pre pack butchers

Advertisement