Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

Can anyone recommend anywhere that sell (and deliver) decent rubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

What should I be trying to get.
    Never seems to be much choice.

I just do the babybacks on the bbq for 20 mins. Cooks them fine.

If you're looking for fall off the bone the pork belly ribs in the smoker are the way forward. These badboys.

raw-pork-spare-ribs-6395185-500x500-1_opt_opt.x36213.jpg
    MonsterMob wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend anywhere that sell (and deliver) decent rubs?

Make your own. Takes literally seconds and is much more fun.

EG https://heygrillhey.com/best-dry-rub-for-ribs/

All available in Tesco for 80c ish a jar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Spatchcock chicken before and after on BGE. Cooking time 1 hour at 140C and then turned over on direct high heat for few mins to crisp skin.

479568.jpg

Could I have the coals to one side to do this for 1hr ? I have a weber kettle so no fancy equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭Goose81

Thought someone in here might know, I bought in Lidl the other day a BBQ thermometer. The cable to the actual thermometer appears to be braided metal but it doesn't say anywhere in the instructions whether this is heat resistant i.e can you plug the probe in and close the lid leaving the cable trapped.. is that how these things tend to work, i.e the cable is fully heat proof on them. Thanks

Goose81 wrote: »
    Thought someone in here might know, I bought in Lidl the other day a BBQ thermometer. The cable to the actual thermometer appears to be braided metal but it doesn't say anywhere in the instructions whether this is heat resistant i.e can you plug the probe in and close the lid leaving the cable trapped.. is that how these things tend to work, i.e the cable is fully heat proof on them. Thanks

Yea that's the way to use them.
    Did you get the wireless one?

• Advertisement

Yea that's the way to use them.
    Did you get the wireless one?

Yeah I got the wireless one, IL only really use it for large bits of chicken and pork but have never used one before so was reluctant to leave the wire over the flame in case it destroys it

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yeah I got the wireless one, IL only really use it for large bits of chicken and pork but have never used one before so was reluctant to leave the wire over the flame in case it destroys it

I'd definitely route it away from direct flame - It's fine to handle the ambient heat in the BBQ but wouldn't say it'd handle much in the way of direct flame/heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Could I have the coals to one side to do this for 1hr ? I have a weber kettle so no fancy equipment.

absolutely.

Advantage of spatchcocking is that even if you get flare ups you can only burn the carcass which is discarded but yes chicken on indirect heat is always a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just noticed the wireless thermometers in Lidl myself too. Was going to get a Thermapro later in the summer but for €17 are the Lidl ones worth a punt?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just noticed the wireless thermometers in Lidl myself too. Was going to get a Thermapro later in the summer but for €17 are the Lidl ones worth a punt?

I bought a gas BBQ I usually use coal. ATM Im testing it have 2 burgers on with the thermometer in and I'm 45 feet away in the sitting room with the handset and it's working fine, seems handy you can just leave stuff to cook away and it beeps when ready. Any problems IL update

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »

Does the aldi one have a low temp, high temp alarm?
    2 probes is very very handy too

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I bought a gas BBQ I usually use coal. ATM Im testing it have 2 burgers on with the thermometer in and I'm 45 feet away in the sitting room with the handset and it's working fine, seems handy you can just leave stuff to cook away and it beeps when ready. Any problems IL update

Thanks Goose81, think I might pick up one for €17. Lidl are very good with returns too so if it breaks down its easy to bring it back.
    Does the aldi one have a low temp, high temp alarm?
    2 probes is very very handy too

Not sure of the specs as I cant find it on their website, just saw a stack of them instore yesterday when looking for something else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Was up in Ikea today they have some nice new BBQ bit's and pieces

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/search/?k=Bbq&N=0&No=0&Nr=AND%28content.type%3Ap%2Csku.browsable%3A1%29&summary=true

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/search/?k=skewers

They have a display charcoal BBQ too that caught my eye too. Seemed well made, steel was heavy guage. Grill and vent's are stainless steel. Looked fairly airtight. There was sealing tape around the hood and the vent's appeared to give good seal. Was out of stock but I'm tempted. Comes in a gas version too.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/kitchen-products/appliances/barbecues/%C3%A4pplar%C3%B6-klasen-charcoal-barbecue-brown-stained-spr-49281838/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Do you guys buy or make your own rubs? And if so what's your go to rub, thinking of pulling the trigger on a WSM 57cm so wanna start making bigger cuts of meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

i make my own now. Ive found store rubs here are ****e and full of sugar. Memphis dust is a good starter for pork all the ingridients can be bought in the supermarket and put together at home. Google & youtube have loads of home made recipe ideas. Once you get the basis of rubs its good to mess around experimenting adding and pulling flavours

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Amazingribs.com is a great site for homemade sauce & rub recipes to and some great stuff on it too help with all aspects of bbq & smoke

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi Folks - what’s the best way to clean the grates on the Weber 57 please? I did some grilling yesterday and the grates are now manny this morning... thanks

0u66qx-XCq0CljATKheJ6ktyw

Debub wrote: »
    Hi Folks - what’s the best way to clean the grates on the Weber 57 please? I did some grilling yesterday and the grates are now manny this morning... thanks

0476580-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Fire cleans everything.

• Advertisement

I never clean mine with any chemicals or anything, just heat her up and scrap it down:)

Do any of you guys ever come across St Louis Style ribs? See alot on a few of the pages I follow but only ever get spare ribs in singles in the butchers never on the slab

FixitFelix wrote: »
    I never clean mine with any chemicals or anything, just heat her up and scrap it down:)

So I have been told that it’s better to clean before you cook and leave it ‘dirty’ till the next cook as the grease n muck helps prevent rusting (by coating) - is this correct/true?

And how do I attach pics here (this is obviously not a bbq/grill question) but I had to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Do any of you guys ever come across St Louis Style ribs? See alot on a few of the pages I follow but only ever get spare ribs in singles in the butchers never on the slab

I’m open to correction but aren’t they also called belly ribs here? I’ve a rack in the fridge that I picked up yesterday. I’ll trim down and freeze until next weekend. Anyone any tips on how long to cook for? 5/6 hours at 225?

St Louis is just the way they're cut. You can do it yourself. Ask the butcher what day they break down the pigs and ask them to keep a few spare rib racks whole for you. They're the ones to smoke.
    Belfunk wrote: »
    I’m open to correction but aren’t they also called belly ribs here? I’ve a rack in the fridge that I picked up yesterday. I’ll trim down and freeze until next weekend. Anyone any tips on how long to cook for? 5/6 hours at 225?

The same yeah. I've done them for 6 hours at 220f. 3, 2, 1. 3 hours, then 2 hours foiled and 1 hour with no foil.

There is that many names on them it's hard to keep track:)

The Nal wrote: »

St Louis is just the way they're cut. You can do it yourself. Ask the butcher what day they break down the pigs and ask them to keep a few spare rub racks whole for you. They're the ones to smoke.

The same yeah. I've done them for 5 hours at 220f. 3, 2, 1. 3 hours, then 2 hours foiled and 1 hour with no foil.

Yeah I'll have to do that in future, I take it most butchers won't have a problem doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

this is the only thing you need to clean your grill/bbq

480086.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I have beef short ribs (a Jacobs ladder) in the fridge. I'm open to suggestions as to how to cook them.
    Go!

Advertisement