Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

tototoe wrote: »
    Trying a low and slow this weekend for the first time on the monolith kamado, whats easy to try for a first go? Its all been stesk, burgers and chicken so far.
    Pork shoulder, ribs, not brave enough for a brisket yet? Any other suggestione.

Ribs are easiest, followed by pork shoulder.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Brian? wrote: »
    Ribs are easiest, followed by pork shoulder.

Pork belly is good too and won't take too long

tototoe wrote: »
    Trying a low and slow this weekend for the first time on the monolith kamado, whats easy to try for a first go? Its all been stesk, burgers and chicken so far.
    Pork shoulder, ribs, not brave enough for a brisket yet? Any other suggestione.

Well whats the plan?
    I got 2 racks of baby backs for tomorrow's cook

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

QjAUSAC.jpg
    Just getting ready to throw a few ribeyes on, don't mention the deck burn from a previously dropped coal:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Before I go putting a 2 barrel charcoal retort together what are people using for charcoal?

• Advertisement

Weber, burns longest out of all the other brands I've used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Well whats the plan?
    I got 2 racks of baby backs for tomorrow's cook

Well I ended up working so low and slow was a no no. Two amazing Rump steaks though. Nicest I've done yet. 2 weeks holidays coming up from Friday so ordering a pork butt for this Saturday, hail rain or shine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Before I go putting a 2 barrel charcoal retort together what are people using for charcoal?

Restaurant lumpwood from a room outside. Takes a while to get going but really good when it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

hi folks, novice griller here. Thinking of changing out the stainless steel grill on my bbq for a cast iron one. It's a charcoal grill. Are cast iron grils really that much better?i wouldn't be doing any long low and slow cooks, but would be doing your average steaks, burgers, chicken etc.. Any tips appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

hi folks, novice griller here. Thinking of changing out the stainless steel grill on my bbq for a cast iron one. It's a charcoal grill. Are cast iron grils really that much better?i wouldn't be doing any long low and slow cooks, but would be doing your average steaks, burgers, chicken etc.. Any tips appreciated.

I wouldn't bother - they're a pure nuisance trying to mind and keep rust off. Unless you're grilling a few times a week then stainless is the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭blue note

I did baby back ribs on Sunday and they ended up completely dry. Did them on a weber kettle, according to the thermometer on it the temp didn't move for the whole cook - stayed at about 240 degrees f. They were probably on for 6 hours on total. Wrapped them for 2 hours in the middle. I used the lidl briquettes and some olive woodchips.

Any ideas on why they dried out? I'm wondering was there too much smoke, did I use a few too many woodchips? I'm also wondering if the weber thermometer is reliable. Any experience on the built in thermometer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

blue note wrote: »
    I did baby back ribs on Sunday and they ended up completely dry. Did them on a weber kettle, according to the thermometer on it the temp didn't move for the whole cook - stayed at about 240 degrees f. They were probably on for 6 hours on total. Wrapped them for 2 hours in the middle. I used the lidl briquettes and some olive woodchips.

Any ideas on why they dried out? I'm wondering was there too much smoke, did I use a few too many woodchips? I'm also wondering if the weber thermometer is reliable. Any experience on the built in thermometer?

The built in thermometer reflects the temp where the built in thermometer but not necessarily where the meat is.

That said, baby back ribs don't smoke well. 20 mins in the oven and a flash on the BBQ is enough. They'll always be dry after 6 hours. Not enough fat, not enough meat.

The fall off the bone thing is reliant on the meat having enough fat for the collagen to break down and melt into the meat, keeping it moist and adding flavour.

The Nal wrote: »
    The built in thermometer reflects the temp where the built in thermometer but not necessarily where the meat is.

That said, baby back ribs don't smoke well. 20 mins in the oven and a flash on the BBQ is enough. They'll always be dry after 6 hours. Not enough fat, not enough meat.

The fall off the bone thing is reliant on the meat having enough fat for the collagen to break down and melt into the meat, keeping it moist and adding flavour.

I'm very skeptical that the built in thermometer is effective. It's on the opposite side to the vent, therefore the same side as the coals. But that said, my concern is that the grill was hotter than it was indicating, so maybe it is okay.

I'm very skeptical that the built in thermometer is effective. It's on the opposite side to the vent, therefore the same side as the coals. But that said, my concern is that the grill was hotter than it was indicating, so maybe it is okay.

6 hours for babyback ribs will cremate them regardless.

I only use the Weber Smoky Mountain but havent had any temp issues. The smokers tend to regulate a bit better though and you can judge the heat by the amount of coal in it.

Maybe get a leave in thermometer for the meat too?

Something like this.

P422.611_B_1.jpg

As stated the built in thermometer can be off, also that's giving you the temp at the top of the dome and not the grill, ive often had 20 degrees on the difference, did you out any liquid in the foil when you wrapped?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I've done baby backs for 6 hours before but had a good water pan on the go and then from about 3 hours starting spritzing every 20-30 minutes then mopped in sauce for the last 90 minutes. Didn't wrap them.

Get a digital thermometer that you can place on the grill grate for a more accurate temp. Smoke wouldn't derry them out. On a cook you'll only get a short amount of time for smoke before chips or chunks burn through completely.

I did baby backs for 6 hours at 120/130 or so on the kamado.
    Wraped in foil.
    They were absolutely melting off the bone. Delightful

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kjm3

I am close to buying a Kamado Joe Jr as i can’t really justify the price of the classic size. I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with one? How quickly will it get up to temp for steaks say? My main worry is that we will find it too small for a family of 4. It will be primarily used for grilling and roasting, not many low and slow cooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

kjm3 wrote: »
    I am close to buying a Kamado Joe Jr as i can’t really justify the price of the classic size. I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with one? How quickly will it get up to temp for steaks say? My main worry is that we will find it too small for a family of 4. It will be primarily used for grilling and roasting, not many low and slow cooks.

I’ve a classic and find the space a bit tight sometimes even with the grill extender. The great thing about a ceramic is they hold the temperature with ease for low and slow cooks. If you don’t plan on doing many I am not sure I’d get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Our bbq died last summer and I'm about to replace but this time I'm going low end charcoal rather than expensive gas that I had. With charcoal do I need a temperature control and a raised tray to keep cooked food warm? Can't see either of those things in any of the bbqs I've looked at so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Belfunk wrote: »
    I’ve a classic and find the space a bit tight sometimes even with the grill extender. The great thing about a ceramic is they hold the temperature with ease for low and slow cooks. If you don’t plan on doing many I am not sure I’d get one.
    yellow hen wrote: »
    Our bbq died last summer and I'm about to replace but this time I'm going low end charcoal rather than expensive gas that I had. With charcoal do I need a temperature control and a raised tray to keep cooked food warm? Can't see either of those things in any of the bbqs I've looked at so far.

I'd go with a Weber kettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I'd go with a Weber kettle.

While I agree, a lot of people probably don't consider any weber grill as "low-end" due to the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

kjm3 wrote: »
    Given what you want to use it for the KJ jr will 100% be too small for you and you'll end up not enjoying it and buying something bigger anyway.

Suggest the Monolith Basic as a cheaper option than the KJ Classic but the same size grate area and still a well regarded brand https://gobbqco.com/shop/monolith/monolith-classic-black-basic-model/

Or get a Weber kettle and really really learn how to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

yellow hen wrote: »
    Keeping cooked food warm is easy. It's the cooking bit that is the primary thing to consider.

Do not go "low end" for charcoal. Well, you can. But IMO you will regret it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Sorry to say you coooked them for too long and probably at too high a temperature. Fit a decent digital thermometer into the lid vent.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Spotted these in Tesco earlier. Can't say I was dying to pop em in the basket and give them a try. Brisket was €10 & tiny. They have cooking instructions for an oven. Also never heard of Kentucky brisket. Thought Kentucky would be more pork bbq country

20190524-204727.jpg

There's loads of that fire pitt stuff, different types of burgers, sausages and chicken as well as the brisket and pulled pork that's for the oven. I had the lamb merguez sausages last weekend on the BBQ - they were decent enough to be fair. Any recommendations for the other stuff in the range?

Wouldn't be bothered with the little brisket and pork cuts tbh.

Thanks for the replies re the baby backs. I've ordered a dual probe digital thermometer- I'm not sure why I was waiting to do this. I'm convinced it must have been too hot. If the temp had been what it was reading on the lid thermometer, the ribs should have been tender at some point. They never were. I'll try shortening the cook also, maybe the ribs were a bit thin for that length of cook.

I see lidl have a few bbq things in this week by the way. A rib rack, chicken holder, charcoal baskets each for a fiver.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies re the baby backs. I've ordered a dual probe digital thermometer- I'm not sure why I was waiting to do this. I'm convinced it must have been too hot. If the temp had been what it was reading on the lid thermometer, the ribs should have been tender at some point. They never were. I'll try shortening the cook also, maybe the ribs were a bit thin for that length of cook.

I see lidl have a few bbq things in this week by the way. A rib rack, chicken holder, charcoal baskets each for a fiver.

Rib rack and chicken holder are good buys

Advertisement